Saint Caligula??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Jews did not consider Christians Jews - the Jews did not believe that Jesus Christ fit the requirements of their Messiah.

2. The Christians did not consider themselves Jews - the former believed JC to be the Messiah, but not the Jews.

2. At the time this TL is occurring, the Christians are divided: Peterines (who held everything, including wives, in common) and Paulines, who followed the more austere teachings of the former Saul of Taurus.

3. Romans were the ones who couldn't tell the difference between Christians and Jews - both worshipped one, and only one God and it was the same God; which was the problem for the multi-god worshipping Romans and why they could not tell the difference.

4. Peter was killed during Nero's rule.

5. Paul died approximately 64-67. He was Roman and free. But he would not take a position under Caligula - Paul was the starter of churches, not an emperors lackey. He (Paul) followed only God.

6. While the Torah and other books (even some not in today's Bible) were written, the "New" Testament books were truly started to be organized until the end of the first century AD.

7. This TL is essentially the story of Philip and the Ethiopian (Philip sent by God, met the Ethiopian and converts him by explaining what he'd read (Acts 8: 26+). The Ethiopian was probably reading from Isaiah, which has the most in prophecy about Christ. It just inverts who was called by whom. In the Bible, it's God; in this TL it's Caligula who brings about his own conversion - almost heretical, given what Caligula was raised with. It would make more sense for this Clement to show up and offer to heal the emperor and Caligula's wife allowing him in.

8. Given that this will put the likes of the Vestal Virgins (who kept the wills as well as their other duties), the priests dedicated to other Gods: Zeus, Venus, etc - Caligula is going to be a lot less popular than you're hoping. And dismissing the Senate means almost certain civil war - a Caesar or two after Caligula were overthrown for worshipping a single god. Clement will be lucky to survive his first encounter with Caligula, as both the Praetorian Guard and the Senate would not trust an emperor embracing a foreign religion and repudiating the multiple gods of Rome and Roman households everywhere. Caligula will be watched closely by both and then executed for insulting said gods. It was not until much further down the line that Christians were allowed into the Roman fold openly. Caligula is going to have to make a choice: Emperor or Christian, he can't have both at that time in history. Too many were embracing multiple gods - every household had two or three.

It's an interesting TL (I've been a Christian my whole life), but I'm not sure it has - as written - the power to make Caligula anything other but an emperor who insulted his kingdom by trying to pull Pharaoh's Akhenaten's "one god" philosophy in the BC era. Caligula would probably be executed on a Senatorial vote for "mental" problems.

Geon

Donor
@desmirelle

With regard to your comments. First, as I indicated earlier my goal was to explore what would happen if an emperor earlier then Constantine became a Christian. I chose Caligula first, because of the shear outrageousness of it and secondly it was closer to the time of the Apostles that he could have some interaction with them (see TL).

As to item 5. I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. At no time did Paul consider himself an lackey of the Roman emperor. He was pardoned by Tiberius II. But, in no way did I intend to have him portrayed as the emperor's lap dog-however the Jewish Sicari would definitely have differing opinions on this.

Also, Judaism and Christianity were still very much closely related at this time. There was a large group of Jewish Christians in Palestine at this time. Like Martin Luther in 1517, they considered Jesus as a reformer of the Jewish religion (among other things) not as one who was attempting to start a new religion. The final rift came I believe in 70 A.D., in OTL with the destruction of the temple during the Jewish rebellion. By then, Jew and Christian had both begun to go their separate ways.

Finally, with regard to your comparison with Akhenaten, here I will admit I am getting into some areas I don't understand of Roman society, but, as nearly as I can understand it, the priests of Rome did not wield quite the political power that the priestly cast did in ancient Egypt. That is one reason I believe that once Christianity "caught on" with the Roman nobility it might spread rapidly.

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them by the by.

Hi! I just caught up as well. It's interesting to see a TL from 2015 come back in late 2019. Very appreciated.

Regarding this TL, it reminds me a lot of my classes about Christianism origins, to how it started until the 2nd Century and onwards, and I like how the Church has developed rather differently but also counting an Emperor as a powerful protector, one can wonder how different would be the Church regarded in later centuries.

The Druid Wars

Geon

Donor
I will admit to getting a little bogged down due to a lack of knowledge of the Druids. Here however is a short chapter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Druid Wars

What historians would later call the Druid Wars began in the reign of Quirinius and would last for over 100 years.

As indicated above the Christian faith was becoming the vanguard for Roman culture, trade, and eventual citizenship both in Germania and in the island of Brittania. While there is considerable discussion as to who were the first missionaries to that island (candidates includer the Apostle Andrew, Joseph of Arimathea, and even St. Paul) the evidence shows that a Christian church was established as far back as 50 A.D.

Christians missionaries of course would be only the first step. Eventually Roman good and culture would arrive. While some of the Celtic tribes in the south of Britannia were very willing to trade with the Romans others most definitely were not.

The druids, those mysterious priests and advisors to many a chieftain in Brittania had a mixed view of Christianity. Some urged their chieftains to embrace it for a variety of reasons; economic, religious, alliances. But other druids saw the Christian religions and what came with it as a threat to a long-established way of life.

As a result, war would break out between the pagan tribes and the Christians in approximately 67 A.D. Quirinius would send two legions to protect the southernmost Christian tribes. It would be the beginning of nearly 120 years of Roman occupation.

Some druids led their whole tribes into the faith while others would kill any missionaries who dared proclaim this foreign religion. The reasons why some of these priests/advisors did or did not accept the faith is for the most part lost to antiquity as the druids left no written records. What accounts we have today are second and third hand at best.

Over the next century the druids would urge their tribal chieftains to fight for the heart and soul of Brittania on both sides. Ultimately, by the time the Romans left most of southern and central Brittania had developed its own unique culture, a mixture of Roman and Celtic.

There aren't nearly enough stories on this site exploring early Christianity. really enjoying this, Keep up the good work!

Will this TL cover the establishment of Biblical canon?
Less persecution means less destruction of early manuscripts. Earlier Christian emperors paves the way for an earlier equivalent of the Fifty Bibles of Constantine.

Will this TL cover the establishment of Biblical canon?
Less persecution means less destruction of early manuscripts. Earlier Christian emperors paves the way for an earlier equivalent of the Fifty Bibles of Constantine.

With a less antagonistic set of emperors and Rome in general Book of Revelation is never written or at least never goes mainstream.

But, that makes no sense because from an historical standpoint it was about the Roman Empire and Nero. In general and specifically now both have little relevance to Christianity antagonistically .

But, that makes no sense because from an historical standpoint it was about the Roman Empire and Nero. In general and specifically now both have little relevance to Christianity antagonistically .
The OTL Book of Revelation is quite possibly about the Roman Empire. (There's still heated debate about that inside Christianity.) But an apocalypse had been foretold for centuries. It makes perfect sense for there to be a canonical New Testament apocalyptic book, even if not the same Book of Revelation we have.

While there is considerable discussion as to who were the first missionaries to that island (candidates includer the Apostle Andrew, Joseph of Arimathea, and even St. Paul) the evidence shows that a Christian church was established as far back as 50 A.D.
Ah, if i may add my own two cents, St.Aristobulus is regarded as the apostle to Britain by both the eastern and western churches (although they differ on whether he died a martyr or peacefully). He is regarded as one of the 70, and may be the Aristobulus mentioned by Paul in his epistle to the Romans. He reportedly came "in the reign of Tiberius" If Gildas is to be believed.

Joseph of Arimathea being the first was an idea from the high middle ages.

Last edited:

Geon

Donor
Any news on Caligula’s sisters/mother or were they killed off/exiled already before the PoD?

Caligula's mother and sister were probably extremely upset about his conversion but not to the point of conspiring to have him killed. Tiberius would have ensured they were cared for after the death of Caligula.

One other thing I should mention. Peter here is clearly not the bishop of Rome. The first bishop was Clement, ordained by I believe Paul. That means Rome cannot claim the primacy that the Roman Catholic Church would later.

Geon

Donor
Ah, if i may add my own two cents, St.Aristobulus is regarded as the apostle to Britain by both the eastern and western churches (although they differ on whether he died a martyr or peacefully). He is regarded as one of the 70, and may be the Aristobulus mentioned by Paul in his epistle to the Romans. He reportedly came "in the reign of Tiberius" If Gildas is to be believed.

Joseph of Arimathea being the first was an idea from the high middle ages.

Piratedude

I consulted a friend of mine who is a priest in the Apostolic Celtic Church and who is extremely well-versed in history. According to him there is more evidence for Joseph of Armithea being the first evangelist to the British Isles given that according to his sources Joseph of Arimithea was a tin merchant and there were tin mines in the British Isles at the time which traded with Rome. Supposedly after the initial persecutions broke out Joseph and his family fled to the British Isles for safety and were the first evangelists to the people there.

I will hopefully publish another chapter in the next week or two so have patience everyone!:)

Piratedude

I consulted a friend of mine who is a priest in the Apostolic Celtic Church and who is extremely well-versed in history. According to him there is more evidence for Joseph of Armithea being the first evangelist to the British Isles given that according to his sources Joseph of Arimithea was a tin merchant and there were tin mines in the British Isles at the time which traded with Rome.
Im sorry but thats a very tenuous connection with basically nothing in the form of supporting evidence. None of the early documents that mention the evangelization of Britain name Joseph. In fact of the two that name anyone more specific than "a disciple of jesus", the older (Hippolytus of Rome, circa 170-230AD) names Aristobulus, and the younger (William of Malmsbury, circa 1125) names Philip.

Later monks from Glastonbury made additions to williams work claiming Joseph did it, the same monks who faked uncovering king Arthur's grave to associate their abby with Avalon.

If Joseph really was a tin merchant (which nothing outside of medieval legends support, only that he was a rich man) Britain isn't the only source of tin in Europe, and Joseph himself probably never had to leave judea himself to act as a merchant.

Geon

Donor
Im sorry but thats a very tenuous connection with basically nothing in the form of supporting evidence. None of the early documents that mention the evangelization of Britain name Joseph. In fact of the two that name anyone more specific than "a disciple of jesus", the older (Hippolytus of Rome, circa 170-230AD) names Aristobulus, and the younger (William of Malmsbury, circa 1125) names Philip.

Later monks from Glastonbury made additions to williams work claiming Joseph did it, the same monks who faked uncovering king Arthur's grave to associate their abby with Avalon.

If Joseph really was a tin merchant (which nothing outside of medieval legends support, only that he was a rich man) Britain isn't the only source of tin in Europe, and Joseph himself probably never had to leave judea himself to act as a merchant.

Okay, just to conclude this end of the discussion, I talked to my priest friend last night. He swears there are six manuscripts in the possession of the University of Edinboro that show land-grants from local chieftains for Joseph. These have not been made public. Further, it is clear the Roman Empire did have some sort of tin trade going on with the British Isles for some time according to archeology. Also, interesting note, the fraudulent acts of the monks aside there is clear evidence there was a church on Glastonbury Tor going back at least to the 4th century.

Also, I should correct what I said earlier, I was reminded by my friend that Joseph of Arimithea came to Britain not as an evangelist but as a refugee with his family to escape persecution in Judea.

Later Reign of Quirinius

Geon

Donor
The Later Reign of the Emperor Quirinius

With the end of the first of the Jewish Wars and despite the beginning of the Druid Wars in Brittania a Pax Romanum settled over the empire for the duration of Quirinius Caligula Caesar’s reign. (65 -80 A.D.)

Discretely Quirinius began a quiet program of proselytization within the upper ranks of the Roman army, sending learned Christians to serve as advisors in all the legions of Rome. Given that these were personal representatives of the Emperor even the most hostile generals treated them with deference and respect knowing what the consequences would be of treating them any other way.

Also, by now many of those who had raised in the “Houses of Caligula” were of age to take various posts both in the government and the military. Quirinius made certain to carefully sponsor some of the more brilliant among these so that they would fill out important posts both in the government and the military.

In 79 A.D. a major disaster occurred when Mount Vesuvius erupted. The cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum were completely buried by the eruption. The eruption could be heard and seen from as far as Rome. Quirinius immediately sent a Roman legion southward along with several Christian volunteers to help and care for the survivors and refugees.

Arriving several miles from the eruption the Roman legion quickly began building a camp large enough to care for the survivors that even now were stumbling in, some barely alive. The Christian volunteers from Rome along with several of their pagan neighbors who simply wanted to help quickly began to work with the survivors. In the words of Pliny, the Younger:

They washed the wounds of the survivors with oil and wine and ministered to them tenderly. Those who could not partake of food they carefully fed broth they had cooked. Those who were so badly injured the physicians would not come near them these Christians ministered to offering wine mixed with water to ease their suffering and speaking comforting words to them until they breathed their last. (from Accounts of the Vesuvius Eruption by Pliny the Younger)

The survivors were eventually taken to Rome where Quirinius ordered that temporary places of shelter be found for them. Many Christian families gladly shared their homes with the survivors who did not have families in Rome. And many of the survivors would convert to the faith during this time as they saw the kindness shown by these Christians.

Quirinius, a devout and holy man, would live barely a year after the events of 79 A.D. He died it is believed of a heart attack on November 9, 80 A.D. He was succeeded by his son Tiberius Claudius Caesar (or Tiberius III). Unfortunately for the Empire while Tiberius III might have his grandfather’s name, he certainly did not have his piety.

He swears there are six manuscripts in the possession of the University of Edinburgh that show land-grants from local chieftains for Joseph. These have not been made public.
Really now? I'm sorry to be so blunt but honestly either your friend is lying to you or someone else to him. Setting aside the fact that the pre-invasion britons wouldn't have bothered having such documents written up, when your friend says 'they have documents to prove it, they're just hiding them from scientific & historical scrutiny' that should send up red flags. There really no reason such things would be hidden, indeed a person coming up with authentic documents like that would probably get many accolades from the historical community and i don't doubt that the CoE would jump at the chance to use it.

Further, it is clear the Roman Empire did have some sort of tin trade going on with the British Isles for some time according to archeology. Also, interesting note, the fraudulent acts of the monks aside there is clear evidence there was a church on Glastonbury Tor going back at least to the 4th century
Im not doubting that at all my friend, just the pinning of that to Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.