Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Not as interesting as that monster, he is my first attempt at an actual ship using shipbucket.
-Pathetic main battery (a single twin 15" turret!)
-Needless duplication of the secondary battery (5" 34cal DP guns plus 4.5in HA/LA gun, both serve the exact same role and have similar performance, so settle on either one or the other... the single Japanese 8" turret superimposed over the 15" turret is rather random).
-Podded proulsion system is distinctly too modern for this ship.
-Modern SONAR on an old Battleship hull?
-Radar used is utterly random... two comparable air search sets (one US, one British IIRC) and a Russian Surface to Air Missile guidence set (when you don't have any SAMs aboard the ship...).

All in all, an ill thought out cut and paste job... you realise that efforts like this have actually given AH.com a bad reputation over on Shipbucket?
Using the same scale as that fighter (and including it), I've made a side-view table of some light aircraft used by the CGUAAF and CGMC. "Light" in this case is relative- compared to bombers and large transports, these certainly are light. All of them are fighters except for the light transport (obviously). Yes, there's a turboprop "fighter"; it's a COIN and CAS aircraft.
I like the F-8 cross F-16... but to be honest the light transport and ground attack "turboprop" (the actual engine depicted there looks a lot more like a German WW2 piston engine than a turboprop) look more than a little out of place.

Last edited:
Not as interesting as that monster, he is my first attempt at an actual ship using shipbucket.

This design is not so unrealistic.
After WW-2, the US converted one of their older BB's to test a number of new weapon systems, including guided missiles & the new 6" automatic turret.
Also, one BB was converted to a school ship with a mixture of weapons for training.
So if this ship was intended as a school ship or a test bed modification of an existing design, it could be considered a valid design.
I guess the main problem is the mixture of US & UK systems in a single platform.

Here is my attempt to improve the design using some of the advice given. As I have said before I know very little about warships and amy merely trying to learn.

take2.png

It looks like you are basing your design on the Queen Elizabeth class BB's
They had the same type of superstructure and 4.5" DP guns on both sides.
To keep with the UK model, you could include some of the 3"/70 automatic guns that were under development at the end of WW-2 instead of all the 5"/38 twin mounts (a US design, not used in the UK)
You could have the newer 4.5" mounts installed in place of them (the same type of mounts used on the Daring class DD's for example)

Hapsburg

Banned
I like the F-8 cross F-16... but to be honest the light transport and ground attack "turboprop" (the actual engine depicted there looks a lot more like a German WW2 piston engine than a turboprop) look more than a little out of place.

Well yeah I used an image of a piston engine, if only because I couldn't find one for a turboprop. I mean, they look mostly the same to me anyway.
The light transport does look out of place; it's meant to be basically a Liaison Aircraft, a light personal transport for VIP's in secure areas. It's based on the Fiesler Storch.
The COIN twin-prop one...well, it might seem out of place, but it really isn't. I based it off the Argentine Pucara, which is a modern-ish COIN and close-air support prop plane.

Can't really be arsed writing up a long description. The basic idea is what if the Type 42 Destroyer was beefier?

Russell

Type 43 Destroyer(Duke Class).PNG

The light transport does look out of place; it's meant to be basically a Liaison Aircraft, a light personal transport for VIP's in secure areas. It's based on the Fiesler Storch.

Wouldn't a helicopter be more efficient though?

The COIN twin-prop one...well, it might seem out of place, but it really isn't. I based it off the Argentine Pucara, which is a modern-ish COIN and close-air support prop plane.

As much as I love the Pucara, wouldn't a helicopter make more sense in this role too? I mean, helicopters can hover and move laterally which fixed-wing craft can't. I can actually see both being used, though.

Hapsburg

Banned
I can actually see both being used, though.

Well, yeah, that's what they do. I thought that was blatantly, painfully obvious since I posted pictures of their helicopters before. :confused:
I mean, they both have their advantages and disadvantages- a prop aircraft can drop bombs, whereas as a helicopter can't, for example. But the helicopter and aerodyne can, as you said, hover and move laterally. So, they both get used. Army Air Force uses fixed-wing aircraft and the Army itself uses helicopters.

As for the liaison plane...well, that's just because some VIP's prefer fixed-wing flight over helicopter flight to do their personal transportation. Neither is more or less efficient, really. Not for that role, at least. And when it comes to politicians and military leaders in a totalitarian state, efficiency is kinda set aside for their personal whims.

Last edited:
Looks good, the CIWS will be useful in the Falklands.

Especially for dealing with low flying A-4's and Exocet.

I've always liked the look of the old Type 42's - the batch threes always seemed quite elegant. It's just that it was a very limited egalitarian design.

Russell

Hapsburg

Banned
Tentative redesign of my F-1 Leopard Shark aircraft, which originally looked like an F-117, which is kinda lame.
So, instead, here's a blended-wing-body planform with swing-swings and internal missile bays. As a nuclear-powered, single-seat fighter aircraft.
The wings, I may change to something more static and trapezoidal.

CGU F-1G Leopard Shark.png

Last edited:
zhong_tower_ship_by_imperator_zor-d3avb66.jpg

Tower Ships (Lou chuan) are the heavy hitters of the Zhong Navy. The term was first used to describe large barges used to carry men and trebuchets, then large ocean going sailing ships used by the Nagato, the Warring States and latter the refugee states that fought in Linear formation. Now it refers to the Heavy Ironclad warships, second only in size to the gargantuan Iron Islands. Unlike the Iron Islands, they are built purely for combat, being faster, as well armored and carring guns of similar caliber. In terms of troop transport they typically only carry small numbers of marines.

Typically measuring 100-140 Bu in length and carrying heavy armaments, few things can pose a threat to these mighty warships. Anything that gets within 15 Li of these craft will end up staring down the barrels of cannons up to a Chi in caliber. Decks of smaller guns are used to provide a heavier barrage of fire. Some Admirals have said that developments in Torpedoes have made these cannons obsolete, although their is some debate about this. While better than being onboard some of the smaller ships, life onboard a Tower Ship is generally a hot, dirty affair for all save the officers.

Currently, the Zhong Empire is operating a fleet of some thirty two tower ships. Eight have been assigned to the Western Fleet. This was once ten, but two of them were left trapped in the Silver Sea after the High Elves managed to close off the two straights leading into it using a set of powerful storm spells creating and omnipresent hurricane around them. Cut off from supplies, these ships (along with thirty four other warships and a couple of ammunition ships and tenders) were slowly taken by Elvish Raiders over the next six months, one of the greatest losses of the war. That said, outside of that one instance, no Tower Ship has been lost. They proved indispensable in the bombardment which brought many western cities to their knees in the first waves of their invasion. Now, with most of the west's coastline secured with only the occasional elvish or dwarvish raid, these craft merely patrol the coasts.

Tentative redesign of my F-1 Leopard Shark aircraft, which originally looked like an F-117, which is kinda lame.
So, instead, here's a blended-wing-body planform with swing-swings and internal missile bays. As a nuclear-powered, single-seat fighter aircraft.
The wings, I may change to something more static and trapezoidal.

Sadness, I mean, the new design is alright, fits better with the Late 60s Vietnam Era US jet theme, but I liked the old design. It looked like the F-117A if it had been designed by Avro in the 50s :)

A much uglier (due to being more independently created) ship. I think the rear gun wouldn't work, but I'm no expert. Any suggestions?

state.png

Way too streamline for 1934.
Well it does have a POD in 1744. Anyway, the streamline ness in a mix of my not knowing what sort of stuff to add (there seems to be endless little things on the base ships) and it being supposed to have slanted build for extra defense.