Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Beedok, I'd just ignore Cockroach if I were you. He lives up to his name...

His trolling aside, it does look a tad modern, but hey if you have rationalised that in your timeline (which you have) then go for it. It's like calling Steampunk "Archaic", well, that's kind of the point. However it's justified in whatever timeline the steampunk-ness occurs in.

That said, things do have to look vaguely plausible from a physics perspective, hence my comments on the tank. The barrel just looked too large a calibre for the turret, but as I understand it, shipbucket/tankbucket or whatever intentionally overscale barrels for detail purposes. Less obvious in a large warship, painfully so in a small scale AFV.

Similar rules for Hapsburg really :) Me, I think we will have advanced further than that, but hey if you want mid-20th aesthetics and technology derived from them in your far future timeline, go for it. Only one question though Haps, if it's a 0.50 Calibre round with a more powerful propellant than we have currently, even in a caseless design won't the recoil be rather excessive for a service rifle? Look up the Boys 0.55in Anti-Tank Rifle. Not a pleasant weapon to shoot, and that was designed for a specific task. A bullpup design would help offset some of that issue. Or, perhaps given the more powerful propellant etc, perhaps your weapon incorporates some kind of recoilless function or a muzzle compensator?

Hapsburg

Banned
Me, I think we will have advanced further than that
Further than what? At this point, all you can do are changes in materials and add-ons. Small arms have pretty much developed as much they can, to any practical extent.

Only one question though Haps, if it's a 0.50 Calibre round with a more powerful propellant than we have currently, even in a caseless design won't the recoil be rather excessive for a service rifle?
Did you miss the part where the CGU's infantrymen all wear powered armour? The recoil is negligible for them.

Last edited:
It's not supposed to be stealth, it's just supposed to be angled to provide extra protection.
While inclined armour does help with protection... well, you've got a large volume there in the superstructure and therefore a large area to protect. With any meanful level of armour even with the incline you're still going to require multiple inch thickness to keep anything more than medium (~5in) gunfire out you're going to have a lot of weight high up with negative implications on the ship's stability and sea keeping.
I'm not really sure what this stuff means, but I think you want the guns closer to the middle.
Sort of... you've placed the turrets awfully far fowards and aft, but in this case it probably actually implies a larger hull (you've got ~16in guns on what looks like a cruiser hull!).

Hapsburg

Banned
The GPM-01 "Wolf" Field Walker, side-view. Standard field walker in service in the CGUA, deployed in Cavalry Divisions.
As an item of note, Walker pilots are given the privilege of riding horses and wearing Napoleonic dress in parades. All Union Army Cavalry troops are equated to an ancient type of cavalrymen. Walker pilots were associated with Uhlans; as a sign of graduation from their pilot training, they were given a ceremonial lance.

CGU Wolf Mech Side View.png

Last edited:
Sorry if this question has been asked but I am somewhat confused by the tech level of the CGU.

How are these walkers powered? Depending on the answer I am wondering if aircraft are powered in the same fashion

Hapsburg

Banned
How are these walkers powered? Depending on the answer I am wondering if aircraft are powered in the same fashion

The larger walkers and most jet aircraft are powered using miniature nuclear reactors. Though not in the same fashion- aircraft nuclear propulsion uses the heat of the reactor to ignite the air and burn it into jet exhaust. The walkers just have a conventional nuclear powerplant, just very much miniaturised.
Though some smaller walkers use liquid-fuelled turbines instead.

Last edited:
The larger walkers and most aircraft are powered using miniature nuclear reactors. Though not in the same fashion- aircraft nuclear propulsion uses the heat of the reactor to ignite the air and burn it into jet exhaust. The walkers just have a conventional nuclear powerplant, just very much miniaturised.
Though some smaller walkers use liquid-fuelled turbines instead.

How is it shielded or does it operate on a zone of exclusion containment?

Hapsburg

Banned
How is it shielded or does it operate on a zone of exclusion containment?
I'd figure it'd be shielded with some kind of absorbent material or with an energy field. I mean, an "exclusion zone" wouldn't make much sense in a compact vehicle and powerplant system.
Or whatever. I just figured a miniaturised nuclear powerplant is more realistic than a miniature fusion plant.

Beedok, I'd just ignore Cockroach if I were you. He lives up to his name...

None of what he said is trolling. The aft barbette is nonsensical, and the forward one only slightly less so, the main battery is unprotected by armor (less than the firecrackers at Jutland, even!)

The GPM-01 "Wolf" Field Walker, side-view. Standard field walker in service in the CGUA, deployed in Cavalry Divisions.
As an item of note, Walker pilots are given the privilege of riding horses and wearing Napoleonic dress in parades. All Union Army Cavalry troops are equated to an ancient type of cavalrymen. Walker pilots were associated with Uhlans; as a sign of graduation from their pilot training, they were given a ceremonial lance.

It's a bit... busty... :p ;)

Person A asks for constructive criticism.

Person B gives it to them.

Person B is a troll.

I don't follow your logic.

Nice walker, Hapsburg. How big is it?

There was no need for cockroach to be as harsh as he was. That's what I was getting at. The 'constructive' was lost beneath the torrent of 'criticism'.

My first attempt at making a vehicle. I put rule of cool before realism, so I didn't bother too much with the numbers or the physics of the weapons, etc.

77achat.png