Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Not to mention a hell load of fuel and handwavium to keep that monster flying.

Could be the refuelling ships that are you know, refuelling it.

Or it could be refuelling them, and it's kept flying by an orbiting satellite net that sends it solar power in the form of microwaves to keep it powered.

I dunno.
I'm saying Nuclear Reactors that expend their heat through the engines. compounded with solar

Yes that is what i meant

See Ya

Mark

he he. unfortunately, when it comes to that i'm actually kinda working in reverse, designing the ships first and the rest of the universe after. the setting is kinda based on one i made up when i was just 12 years old and spent my time in supermarkets looking at paperback sci-fi novels. its slightly evolved from then (it no longer features aliens and ftl travel for one. :D)

so for now the background exposition is limited to what i come up with in the little descriptions. hopefully one day i might sit down and actually write down all my ideas for this setting (my dream is to write a novel about it:p), but for the moment, its just the ships:(

For another of my creations from In Defense of Humanity......

Cape Discovery class High-Speed Patrol Boat

Type: High-Speed Patrol Boat

Builders:
- Bath Iron Works, Bath, Aroostook
- Ontario Marine, Whitby, Ontario
- Marinette Marine, Marinette, Superior
- Canadian Shipbuilding Corporation Trinidad Yard, Port-au-Prince, Trinidad

Ordered: March 2013
First Ship Launched: July 24, 2015
First Ship Commissioned: October 1, 2015

Number Built: 15
Status: All in Service with Canadian Forces Caribbean Squadron

Displacement: 955 tons
Length: 88.41 metres (290 ft 1 in)
Beam: 16.07 metres (52 ft 9 in)
Draft: 2.84 metres (9 ft 4 in)

Propulsion: 2 General Electric / Vektris Engineering LM2500 EVO gas turbines, 1 General Motors Model 265NV turbodiesel cruise engine, 2 Bombardier pumpjets
Power Output: 90,000 horsepower
Top Speed: 54.5 knots (62.75 mph, 101 km/h)
Range: 10,000 miles at 12 knots, 4,000 miles at 40+ knots

Complement: 10 officers, 26 men
Capacity: 60 personnel

Electronics: SPS-67 surface search radar, radio frequency tracking equipment, RIM electronic direction-finder and depth finder, electro-optical detection system

Weapons: 1x MLG-27 27mm autocannon, 4x 12.7mm machine guns, numerous small arms
Aircraft carried: 1x Eurocopter EC635 helicopter
Boats carried: 2x 7.5-metre RHIB boats

capediscoveryclass.png

The Cape Discovery class is meant for actions against smugglers, with long-range abilities and incredible power, allowing the Cape Discovery class vessels to chase down even the fastest go-fast boats. The boats are paired with their RHIBs and helicopter, and new communications technology allows the ships and their equipped units to act as close-knit teams. The Cape Discovery class is meant primarily to act in the shallow water of the Caribbean Sea and continental shelf areas, but are fully-ocean going vessels capable of combat patrol duties if the need arises. Made with all of the latest in design, communications and materials technologies, including a CFRP hull, carbon-fibre frames, satellite communications and other technologies.

That monstrosity has the same problem carriers had before the angled flight deck- that hangar is going to terrible for multiple active take-offs and landings.

Hapsburg

Banned
Not to mention a hell load of fuel and handwavium to keep that monster flying.

Rockets-assisted takeoff combined with nuclear engines could make it work (without refuelling). Big-ass wings, like the kind shown, could keep it aloft. It'd just have to have relatively low altitude limits compared to other aircraft.

Quite a hodgepodge there, Beedok. Not a bad start, mind you. You do have a combination of British, French, American and Japanese guns and American, British and Soviet radars, and I'm not sure what the point of having one 14" turret, one 6.1" turret and a bunch of 5" units are. The sidepod propeller is not needed and a battleship like that probably isn't gonna use a great big hull sonar. Not bad, though. :)

Hapsburg

Banned
Using the same scale as that fighter (and including it), I've made a side-view table of some light aircraft used by the CGUAAF and CGMC. "Light" in this case is relative- compared to bombers and large transports, these certainly are light. All of them are fighters except for the light transport (obviously). Yes, there's a turboprop "fighter"; it's a COIN and CAS aircraft.
Most of these are based heavily on parts from JG paper soldiers.

CGU Small Aircraft.png

Last edited:
Are those all from the same time period Hapsburg?

Quite a hodgepodge there, Beedok. Not a bad start, mind you. You do have a combination of British, French, American and Japanese guns and American, British and Soviet radars, and I'm not sure what the point of having one 14" turret, one 6.1" turret and a bunch of 5" units are. The sidepod propeller is not needed and a battleship like that probably isn't gonna use a great big hull sonar. Not bad, though. :)

Wow, considering I only added two types of guns that's pretty good.:D
Also impressed that I managed to get three different nations for the radio by simply grabbing the ones that looked good. The side propellor is because speed is considered highly important to this navy.

Wow, considering I only added two types of guns that's pretty good.:D
Also impressed that I managed to get three different nations for the radio by simply grabbing the ones that looked good. The side propellor is because speed is considered highly important to this navy.

Better propellers and more powerful engines would do better than added-on sidepods. They would also add drag and a vulnerability to battle damage. Me, I'd move that 6.1" turret to the rear (maybe upsize to an 8" turret, perhaps?), move the 5" units to the sides alongside the bridge, move the British radar (the one at the back) to the forward mast, while moving the French guns either to casemates or ditching them altogether.

Hapsburg

Banned
Are those all from the same time period Hapsburg?

Roughly. Some are late Imperial era, but still in use by the Central Galactic Union because they work well enough. Some, like the Sevengill, are more contemporary with the CGU's foundation. And then others such as the Tigershark and Mako are from the 4290's.

I actually did not want the Tigershark to look too much like an F-35. But I could not find a template that looked sorta like one but sorta not, so I just went with that one. It's a WIP, so I'm still fiddling with the drawings.

In any case- that most of them look like Vietnam era aircraft is partly a stylistic choice (I love aircraft of that period, and the story is meant to be somewhat allegorical to Vietnam and WWII), and partly a logical outgrowth of the technological developments of the setting. With more powerful and capable detection equipment, stealth aircraft go by the wayside and raw performance becomes emphasised. Powerful engines, robust designs, and strong materials become the order of the day for aircraft for centuries. Hence the more "classic jet" designs of most of them.

Last edited:
Better propellers and more powerful engines would do better than added-on sidepods. They would also add drag and a vulnerability to battle damage. Me, I'd move that 6.1" turret to the rear (maybe upsize to an 8" turret, perhaps?), move the 5" units to the sides alongside the bridge, move the British radar (the one at the back) to the forward mast, while moving the French guns either to casemates or ditching them altogether.
Sounds good, I really don't know ships that well just wanted a fast one with lots of small guns.

Hapsburg

Banned
Sounds good, I really don't know ships that well just wanted a fast one with lots of small guns.

Battleships wouldn't be good for that, unless you skimped on armour and just went with big engines and a lot of 5" guns. But then you'd just have a destroyer. :D

The Penobscot Indians of Maine invented a very interesting bow which should have seen wider distribution and further development. Here's a fantasy version of the Penobscot double bow.

k267018_FridayBow33.jpg