In August 1607, The Gift of God and the Mary and John arrived at the mouth of the Sagadhoc River (now the Kennebec River) in present-day Maine. The colonists decided to name the colony Popham for its primary financial backer Sir John Popham (and by extension the president of the colony, George Popham). Fort St. George began construction almost immediately. For its brief existence, it would be considered a rival to the Jamestown colony in southern Virginia. Surprisingly, only the president of the colony died that winter at the Popham Colony. The settlement ultimately lasted only 14 months as both the president and its primary financial backer died in early 1608 and the second in command of the colony, Raleigh Gilbert, would inherit the title and estate of Compton Castle after his own brother died. However, what if the Popham Colony had ended up surviving longer than 14 months and ended up as a long-term rival to Jamestown? How could this be accomplished and what consequences would it have for the future settlers of Virginia (stretching from 34N to 45N)? I ask because it's something that's intrigued me for a while yet I can hardly find anything about it since it's not a common POD.

I have to imagine sooner or later it would get its own charter due to sheer distance. Plymouth Colony got one when it ended up settling in New England even though it was sailing under the Virginia Company's auspices (admittedly, it got blown into territory outside its suzereinity), this colony is even farther off.

I do have to say it'll, like OTL New Hampshire and New Somersetshire/Province of Maine, will inevitably be swamped over by Puritans once they settle Boston, because that's exactly what happened to those two colonies even before they got annexed legally by Massachusetts. Those two were TECHNICALLY started by non-Puritans... and one supposes it shows in echoes of their culture to this day... but no one denies they're indisputably Yankee in blood and culture now unless they're insane. So would it be with Popham, though TTL New England will certainly glorify it as proof "New England" started as early as Virginia and the South (despite not being Yankee as we know it till the Puritan settlers swamping the then-locals).

Depending on how England works out the later colony borders, we could potentially see OTL Maine split into two colonies, or Massachusetts having the parts of Maine that aren't attached to Popham.

Maybe Massachusetts takes less interest in Acadia during the French & Indian Wars, since there may be at least one more colony in between.

Popham being separated from Massachusetts from the start unlike Maine would have a few side effects centuries later
For one, if the USA isn't butterflied, a Popham Colony probably means another northern state early on. And that changes a lot...

Depending on how England works out the later colony borders, we could potentially see OTL Maine split into two colonies, or Massachusetts having the parts of Maine that aren't attached to Popham.

Maybe Massachusetts takes less interest in Acadia during the French & Indian Wars, since there may be at least one more colony in between.

For one, if the USA isn't butterflied, a Popham Colony probably means another northern state early on. And that changes a lot...
I agree, for example, if Popham was there, then a slave state would have to be created to balance it, which would then cause a free state to have to be created when Missouri is admitted

I agree, for example, if Popham was there, then a slave state would have to be created to balance it, which would then cause a free state to have to be created when Missouri is admitted
The thing is , if it was one of the original colonies, it would have more president to join early on.
If it didn't make the States found by fourteen colonies the it would probably be similar to Vermont. So, just add another southern state isn't as simple.

Unless Britain's New Ireland conquest plan survives in this TL.

The thing is , if it was one of the original colonies, it would have more president to join early on.
If it didn't make the States found by fourteen colonies the it would probably be similar to Vermont. So, just add another southern state isn't as simple.

Unless Britain's New Ireland conquest plan survives in this TL.
or Popham never declares independence

Perhaps Popham will be one of the main cities in Greater Massachusetts after the Baystate Republic gains it's independence.

I would assume the first step would be to have another backer, but who?
For it to survive, I think Raleigh Gilbert would need to name his own second-in-command. Financially, wasn't it under the patent of the Plymouth Company within the Virginia Company? Correct me if I'm wrong on both accounts. I'm also in agreement a surviving Popham could have massive ramifications down the road ie a New England that's successfully settled earlier could impact the trajectory of New England and the Thirteen Colonies as a whole, potentially impacting the American Revolution as well. Does this mean the USA as we know it will be butterflied away? Probably not completely but it could look at least somewhat different.

I have to imagine sooner or later it would get its own charter due to sheer distance. Plymouth Colony got one when it ended up settling in New England even though it was sailing under the Virginia Company's auspices (admittedly, it got blown into territory outside its suzereinity), this colony is even farther off.

I do have to say it'll, like OTL New Hampshire and New Somersetshire/Province of Maine, will inevitably be swamped over by Puritans once they settle Boston, because that's exactly what happened to those two colonies even before they got annexed legally by Massachusetts. Those two were TECHNICALLY started by non-Puritans... and one supposes it shows in echoes of their culture to this day... but no one denies they're indisputably Yankee in blood and culture now unless they're insane. So would it be with Popham, though TTL New England will certainly glorify it as proof "New England" started as early as Virginia and the South (despite not being Yankee as we know it till the Puritan settlers swamping the then-locals).
It technically was under the Plymouth Company Charter IIRC, but if it and the rest of the Virginia Company still collapsed in the 1620s like OTL, then almost certainly they get a new charter. On a separate note, was New Hampshire actually legally annexed by Massachusetts at some point IOTL? I have to look into that. But I agree that New England mythology would center around Popham being established as Jamestown's northern twin fused with Puritanism that became the backbone of New England culture. It would be interesting to explore for sure.

Perhaps Popham will be one of the main cities in Greater Massachusetts after the Baystate Republic gains it's independence.
Honestly, the POD is too far out to see what happens with Massachusett's independence but a Greater Massachusetts a good concept to explore.

Honestly, the POD is too far out to see what happens with Massachusett's independence but a Greater Massachusetts a good concept to explore.
on the subject, if the french never got involved colonially I would propose the puritans heading further north, settling in the same area the french did

here's another thing to consider, because Popham would be a company town like Jamestown, would tobacco take root in the colony?

here's another thing to consider, because Popham would be a company town like Jamestown, would tobacco take root in the colony?
Realistically speaking the soil would be too rocky up that far north and the climate too cold considering it's Maine. Granted, you did have some tobacco grown in New England but that was mostly in comparatively mild Connecticut and even then production paled to what was being produced in the South.

Realistically speaking the soil would be too rocky up that far north and the climate too cold considering it's Maine. Granted, you did have some tobacco grown in New England but that was mostly in comparatively mild Connecticut and even then production paled to what was being produced in the South.
so I assume fur and timber would be what the company would be exporting?

that reminds me, not a lot of people know this, but Plymouth was also a company town, the "fellowship of the merchant adventurers" planned the voyage to the new world, the pilgrims agreed to work there in exchange for passage to the new world edit: there's also the fact that the pilgrims were actually the minority on the mayflower, only around 30 of the 100 something souls aboard were puritan

if this video on the subject is to be believed:

Last edited:
oh yeah and there was another ship, the speedwell, she was apparently subject to sabotage and had to be left behind, which delayed departure quite a bit