WI:Pizza is invented in Germany not in Italy

It could very well end up with an demonym, like Frankfurter or Hamburger did. More interesting, you may see *pizza become popular earlier in America, as Germans entered the realm of 'white' earlier than Italians. You also might see it gain stigma with the wars - as said, look at stuff like "victory cabbage". Vater Johan's might run into some problems when there are pictures of Hitler chowing down on the meatball supreme.

I like Käsebrot. Would that be the accurate German phraseology? But, thinking about it, I suspect it would indeed be named after a town.

Also, of the axis powers, the Italians would be the really angry ones.

Seeing what kind of pizza they eat in the rest of europe (let alone america) i cringe at the idea.

Agreed. A German pizza would probably be *very* heavy on cheese and meat, a bit like one of those "meat lovers" or "cheese lovers" pizza's you'd find at Pizza Hut. :eek:

This thread is just blasphemous. And I'm not just imitating my father's Italian chauvinism here. I actually try to defend German food on a pretty regular basis, but the examples of consistently decent German dishes I've had are pretty measly.

PS - If some of you would like to convince me otherwise, I'll let you buy me lunch sometime.

This thread is just blasphemous. And I'm not just imitating my father's Italian chauvinism here. I actually try to defend German food on a pretty regular basis, but the examples of consistently decent German dishes I've had are pretty measly.

PS - If some of you would like to convince me otherwise, I'll let you buy me lunch sometime.

Are you kidding me? This thread is the best thing since sliced pizza.

Vater Johan's might run into some problems when there are pictures of Hitler chowing down on the meatball supreme.
In a TL where -- perhaps because of this POD --he wasn't a vegetarian?

Would it be the Danes or the Dutch who, when this concept spread to their country, added rollmop herring to the list of possible toppings?

It could very well end up with an demonym, like Frankfurter or Hamburger did. More interesting, you may see *pizza become popular earlier in America, as Germans entered the realm of 'white' earlier than Italians. You also might see it gain stigma with the wars - as said, look at stuff like "victory cabbage". Vater Johan's might run into some problems when there are pictures of Hitler chowing down on the meatball supreme.

In a TL where -- perhaps because of this POD --he wasn't a vegetarian?

Would it be the Danes or the Dutch who, when this concept spread to their country, added rollmop herring to the list of possible toppings?

Since thee area in Germany where Pizza like dishes or Pizza variants originated is Franconia (which includes Alsace), I think in ATL Pizza could be called Frankische or Franconian.

Last edited:
Oh, and how about apple slices as a possible topping... or even the use of an apple-based sauce in place of the Italian version's tomato-based one?

At a guess, the sause would be based on sour cream and/or malt vinegar, the cheeses would include Muenster[1], Hvarti, Gouda[2] and Potkase and toppings would include German Sausages[3], German Bacon[4], Hamburger, Smoked Salmon[5], sauerkraut, German lentils, chick peas, and Northern Beans.
1Muenstrosity?
2 gouda idea
3 the wurst idea yet
4 just a Speck
5 lox stox and barrel
:);):p:rolleyes::D
(Runs for cover)

It baffles me how the OP already mentions tarte flambee/flammkuchen yet the ensuing discussion overlooks it completely. I love flammkuchen, perhaps moreso than pizza, but it's not easy to find on this side of the ocean. Aside from a few very expensive restaurants pushing it as a novelty appetizer, I have to make it myself (not that the result is bad at all - thin-sliced red onion and thyme sauteed in a balsamic vinegar reduction atop rich creme fraiche and a crispy spelt flatbread - I'm a gourmet in my own mind!)

I'm obsessed with flatbreads, though, from the staititai of ancient Greece (the purported earliest ancestor of pizza), the focaccia of rural northern Italy (the more direct predecessor of pizza), the cong you bing of southern China (the false ancestor of pizza in uninformed folklore), and the wide range of breads from the Indian Subcontinent (paratha!).