WI:Pizza is invented in Germany not in Italy

What if the Tarte Flambee and Zwiebelkuchen which are found in Germany and later France when Alsace was annexed become popular not just in Germany (and France) and become the predecessors and later variants of ATL "Pizza" and Germany will be credited for the invention of "Pizza", what will be the name of Pizza if it was invented in Germany instead of Italy.

I think pizza just became far more serious.

"Old High German word 'bizzo' or 'pizzo' meaning 'mouthful'" is on origin for the etymology of OTL Pizza so maybe German pizza would be Bizzo or something?

So we can have traditional German pizzarias?

german_pizza_oven.jpg

"Käsesaucenflachrundbrot". Doesn't sound very appealing :eek:

Speak for yourself :p

MSZ

Banned
Well, I imagine "Bratwurst Käsesaucenflachrundbrot" would replace "Pepperoni Pizza". Have to say, given the degree of variety different German sausages have, I did come across a few that actually tasted good on pizza, better than pepperoni, so the 'standard pizza' might be tomato sauce; cheese; different type of sausage.

"Old High German word 'bizzo' or 'pizzo' meaning 'mouthful'" is on origin for the etymology of OTL Pizza so maybe German pizza would be Bizzo or something?[/IMG]

Speak for yourself :p

Where did you hear that? Last I checked it was a Latinate word.......:p

In any case, pizza, both the word and the dish, originated in Italy....and since zweibelkuchen appears to be an actual pie, albeit one made with onions, if someone in Germany were to try to imitiate the Italian original, perhaps they could ITTL be credited with developing the 'modern' pizza if they're successful enough.....though OTLers probably wouldn't be able to recognize it as such.

We've got recipes for Fladen - flat bread with meat toppings - as early as the fourteenth century, but they never became as central to ethnic identity as pizza became to the Neapolitan expats in America. Maybe German fladen could become something of an ethnic thing in contrast to "French" pastries and pies?

My guess is that German *Pizza would be made with a white or cheese-based sauce instead of a tomato-based one. And sauerkraut may be a common topping.

Esopo

Banned
Seeing what kind of pizza they eat in the rest of europe (let alone america) i cringe at the idea.

In Alsace Lorraine they have these things which are very similar to pizzas - the name escapes me but they sound like the kind of thing which could have been popularised instead of the modern pizza.

In Alsace Lorraine they have these things which are very similar to pizzas - the name escapes me but they sound like the kind of thing which could have been popularised instead of the modern pizza.

That's "Tarte flambée" in French and "Flammkuchen" in German.

Well, tomatoes and their derivatives only became popular in Italy in the early Nineteenth Century. Meanwhile, Pizza was recored as having been popular at the royal tables of Louis XIV and Phillips IV and V.

At a guess, the sause would be based on sour cream and/or malt vinegar, the cheeses would include Muenster, Hvarti, Gouda, and Potkase and toppings would include German Sausages, German Bacon, Hamburger, Smoked Salmon, sauerkraut, German lentils, chick peas, and Northern Beans.

Well, tomatoes and their derivatives only became popular in Italy in the early Nineteenth Century. Meanwhile, Pizza was recored as having been popular at the royal tables of Louis XIV and Phillips IV and V.

At a guess, the sause would be based on sour cream and/or malt vinegar, the cheeses would include Muenster, Hvarti, Gouda, and Potkase and toppings would include German Sausages, German Bacon, Hamburger, Smoked Salmon, sauerkraut, German lentils, chick peas, and Northern Beans.

Mouth watering. Man, that makes me hungry.

Seeing what kind of pizza they eat in the rest of europe (let alone america) i cringe at the idea.

Well, there's always lahmacun (sounds to Italians as <la.ma.giun>) as an alternative. if there was heavy Turkish immigration to North America.