The Empress of Silver and Gold: A Mary of Burgundy timeline

Who should Anne of Brittany marry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spain
King Francis Phobeus of Navarre decides not to play a pipe on a certain particular day. Unknown to him this will save his life. The young King, or rather his Uncle, the Universal Spider, Louis XI, is scheming to wed him to Joanna la Beltraneja, the former Queen of Portugal, niece of Isabella the Catholic, and claimant to the Castilian throne.
Who should replace La Beltraneja as the bride of Francis Phoebus if he loses interest in her, Francis Phoebus also has claims to Aragon, I think Mary/Cecily of York is a safe match for him.

Great chapter! Hope max and mary have another son and that they tear out a good chunk of france too!
Well Mary has shown no issue in producing boys. Afterall in addition to Philip there was a young son who died. As for the French, with Louis XI dead and a fight over the regency brewing they are in a very similar situation to the Burgundians in the aftermath of Charles the Bold's death. All involved appreciate the irony.
And YAY! Edward IV fights on! Hoepfully survives to ned's majority
At this point he is far too fat and gout-ridden to fight the only things he will be battling are his pies and the STD roulete.
I hope my girl kicks their asses.
Anne is the type to kick ass and take names but with Mary alive Max will be able to rally more Burgundian resources, and be much more trouble than he was OTL.
OMG, you love Anne of France too? How have we never talked about her?
I also really like Anne of France. However I also like some of her antagonists so I won't necessarily go easy on her.
Hope that max and mary can get a good deal out of her.
Well all things are relative. Anne might consider herself the victor if she only has to give a small bit of territory back to Mary and Max and is able to crush the rest of her enemies.
Oh boy, the Navarre marriage may cause some issues in time...
We shall see...
This timeline is so cool.
Thanks, I do try.
Who should replace La Beltraneja as the bride of Francis Phoebus if he loses interest in her, Francis Phoebus also has claims to Aragon, I think Mary/Cecily of York is a safe match for him.
That would only occur if Edward really wanted to screw with the Trastamara, which, Isabella's hatred for him for usurping aside, he does not. Mary of York died as per otl and Edward is trying to wed one of his daughters to Juan Prince Asturias. As for Francis, his bride would probably be either dictated by France, or else one of Isabella and Ferdiand's daughters, perhaps Juanna, if he wanted to appease them instead of getting into a fight.
@Prince of Permsia The people have spoken!

Well, the plantagenets will still gain a foothold on the contitent and richar'ds line will get a prestigious land to rule over.
They have. For all of you Anne of France fans this was a better outcome for her, as she at least prevents a Breton personal union with England and has a chance to sway Richard to the side of France. That said you will see how this all pans out.

Thank you everyone who replied and everyone who voted in this poll.

He has an extremely weak claim to Aragon, fully useless while Ferdinand II and his line existed and unlikely to prevail over the Segorbe line if Ferdinand left no heir

He has an extremely weak claim to Aragon, fully useless while Ferdinand II and his line existed and unlikely to prevail over the Segorbe line if Ferdinand left no heir
I think he should not marry La Beltraneja as it would force him to fight Ferdinand II, I think the best bride he could have is Jeanne de Bourbon-Vendome as it makes him close to Charles VIII.

NOPE! Richard and his descendants shall remaine close to their Plantagenet brethen
Who is writing this timeline?
I don't think Aragon is his main concern.
I think he should not marry La Beltraneja as it would force him to fight Ferdinand II, I think the best bride he could have is Jeanne de Bourbon-Vendome as it makes him close to Charles VIII.
It is a big risk. But the Catholic monarchs are tied down right now fighting the Moors. Besides, it is such a fun match, with a lot of story potential.

No problem. Edward and Richard are close, as can be seen irl when Edward is reported to have comforted his brother when they were in the tower. How this will change is unknown.

Burgundy
Maximilian and Mary receive a message from Anne de Beaju, newly made regent of France. She offers to settle matters, freezing the conflict over the Burgundian inheritance at status quo ante bellum. The exchange will be sealed by the marriage of Mary’s daughter Margaret to King Charles, thus the blood of Charles the Bold will continue to rule over ducal Burgundy. The request is laughed off. Mary and Max smell blood in the water.

Mary continues helping her husband with state affairs well into her latest pregnancy. Her presence helps ease the often tense relationship between Maximilian and the Burgundian estates. She meets with the French envoy just days after giving birth to her latest child, another son, when asked what the boy will be named she looks to her husband, who gives a predatory smile, declaring their son shall be named Charles, after his illustrious grandfather. The envoy dutifully takes that message back to the French court.

England
Tragedy strikes the household of Richard of Gloucester. His young son Edward of Midelhelm falls ill. Both parents are distraught. His mother in particular spends her days nursing her sick child. She prays that God spares her boy, even if it means taking her life. Tragically her promise comes true. Anne Neville falls ill while treating her son. The young boy survives, but his mother perishes. Richard is beside himself with grief. He had known Anne since childhood and she had proven herself to be a true and loving wife.

For his part, King Edward has other things to worry about. Besides setting his appetites for wine, food, and women, he has a civil war to take advantage of. Richard had been amongst the voices pushing for an invasion to take advantage of France’s turmoils. However, his distressing home life has pulled him away from court, leaving the field to advisors who favor conciliation. With the new King of France having turned 14, his regents are eager to wed him to Elizabeth of York, so as to prevent England from backing any potential rebellions. The French also put on some pressure by hinting that they will wed Charles to Margaret of Austria if Edward declines them. Eager to see his daughter become King of France, and not wanting his Burgundian frenemies to get a leg up on him, Elizabeth is sent across the channel.

King James III of Scotland follows the lead of his French patron. In exchange for the withdrawal of English troops that have been occupying Scotland since 1482, James agrees to wed his son, James Duke of Rothesay, to Edward’s second daughter, Cecily of York. The King also promises to remain reconciled with his brother, Alexander Duke of Albany, but relations between the two remain tense, whatever pledges of brotherly love are said in public.

France
Elizabeth of York arrives to a French court in mourning and surrounded by fear. Charles is charmed by his new bride, whose beauty, dignity, and maturity draw the young boy to her. Elizabeth also gets along well with her mother-in-law, Queen Charlotte. The two bond over books. Anne on the other hand, though also scholarly is wary, fearful that once wed her brother will push to end the regency. For this reason, she forbids the marriage from being consummate, to the great displeasure of the young King.

To his credit Louis of Orleans attempts to size the regency the legal way, at least at first. However, when the states general reject him he flees to the court of Francis Duke of Brittany. The two men sign a treaty pledging to undo some of the centralizing reforms of Louis XI. Francis also hints that Louis may wed his daughter and heiress, Anne, provided he can convince the Pope to annul his marriage to young King Charles’s long-suffering sister Joan. However, the Duke makes sure to keep his options open, continuing his daughter’s previous betrothal with Edward Prince of Wales.

Louis returns to France and attempts to take the young King and his wife into custody but is thwarted by Anne, who has him imprisoned. Elizabeth handles herself well during the ordeal, showing great dignity and courage, further endearing herself to her new family.

However, the rouge Duke soon escapes, planning to continue fighting for control over the regency and the liberties of the French nobility.

Spain
With Louis XI dead Ferdinand and Isabella prepare to take advantage. However, events closer to home draw their attention.

With the death of Pope Sixtus and the elevation of a new pontiff, Juana can hope to get a more sympathetic hearing. She sends a message to the Pope, asking for permission to leave her convent. Her request is backed by the King of Portugal, who hopes that Isabella will hand over certain dissident nobles if enough pressure is applied.

For his part, Francis Phoebus is taken with the idea of being a chivalric hero to the persecuted Juanna, while Juanna herself is eager to avenge herself on Isabella.

The Grenada war continues, with Ferdinand and Isabella making plans to complete the expulsion of the Moors from Iberia.

Last edited:
Long live charles of Burgundy!

And Very happy that richard's son edward survived!

Bess will make a fine queen of france.

DOWN WITH LA BELTRANEJA!

King James III of Scotland follows the lead of his French patron. In exchange for the withdrawal of English troops that have been occupying Scotland since 1482, James agrees to wed his son, James Duke of Ross, to Edward’s second daughter, Cecily of York. The King also promises to remain reconciled with his brother, Alexander Duke of Albany, but relations between the two remain tense, whatever pledges of brotherly love are said in public.

How does the other James, the Duke of Rothesay, feel about his younger brother getting a prestigious English match?