The Empress of Silver and Gold: A Mary of Burgundy timeline

Who should Anne of Brittany marry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

An attendant spots a ditch and warns his mistress of the danger. Mary of Burgundy, an expert rider, swerves and dodges the obstacle, heart pounding, as she realizes how close she came to disaster.

The hunters return to Wijnendale Castle. Maximilian helps Mary off her horse, gently and with great concern, horrified by how close he had come to losing his beloved.

Mary reveals to Maximilian that she is pregnant. She had planned to wait but at the moment it seemed important to tell him. This will be their fourth child. Her devoted husband pulls his wife close and kisses her.

Maximilian and Mary continue their tour of the Duchy before returning to their two living children, young Philip and Margaret. Mary is now far more cautious about riding, especially for the duration of this most recent pregnancy. Mary makes a point to spend more time with her young children.

Negotiations continue for a permanent peace with France and an accord with England, to be sealed by wedding of Maximilian and Mary’s son and heir Philip to Anne of York.
Beset by ill health, the spider, Louis XI, looks to consolidate gains for his son. He reflects that Mary’s death would have represented a golden opportunity to destabilize Burgundy, alas, God had other plans.

Last edited:
A great start! I'm certainly interested in seeing where this goes.
Thanks. I confess I am not 100% sure how this timeline will go, as you all will soon see.
I watch with a curiosity and interest how it will continue.
I look forward to your future viewership
Hell yes, another Burgundian story on this forum! Empress Mary let's gooo!
Glad to have your aproval. I like your story as well BlueFlower
Very good, hopefully Mary survives this pregnancy as well...
It would be a bit pointless to have her survive her otl death only to die nine months afterwords in childbirth.
@Prince of Permsia ! empress mary! lets go!
I will add you to the Burgundian cheer squad.

Everyone. I have agonized over a certain decision so I will leave it up to you. I might make future polls from time to time.

Plus with Mary alive she and Max can have the happy family they always wanted. And Philip can grow up to be better

Excellent start! I guess Elizabeth of York will marry Charles VIII of France here?

And Henry tudor, after formally renouncing the lancastrian claim for himself and his descendants, would be given back richmond.
We shall see. Richard and Edward are neck and neck in our poll.

Burgundy
In January Maximilian and Mary welcome a healthy baby girl. She is christened Elanor, after Maximilian’s mother.

Maximilian’s father Frederick sends request after request for money and troops to fight the Hungarians and retake the family capital of Vienna but is ignored, Maximilian is completely devoted to Burgundian concerns.

The couple follows news from France. Louis XI is increasingly of frail health. He dies that August. Max and Mary send their condolences but privately they rejoice. The spider who foiled Charles the Bold’s ambitions, the King who stole Burgundy from Mary and Max is dead, with only a teenage boy as his hier. Now is the time for Mary and Max to turn the tables and take advantage of the turmoil in France.

Christmas is a joyous time in Burgundy. The Ducal couple hold court, hunt, feast, and spend time with their three children. Mary waits until midnight to give Maximilian a most pleasing gift. She is pregnant again.

England
King Edward IV continues to suffer the effects of his dissolute lifestyle. Despite this, he survives the year.

Young George Neville, the former Duke of Bedford and ward of Richard of Gloucester suffers a serious illness but recovers. Richard is pleased, not necessarily because he is fond of the boy, but because of the massive mess, his death would create in regards to the complicated legal arrangements that grant the Duke his vast landholdings.

Spain
King Francis Phobeus of Navarre decides not to play a pipe on a certain particular day. Unknown to him this will save his life. The young King, or rather his Uncle, the Universal Spider, Louis XI, is scheming to wed him to Joanna la Beltraneja, the former Queen of Portugal, niece of Isabella the Catholic, and claimant to the Castilian throne.

Though he is also preparing to wed his son Alfonso to Isabella’s eldest daughter and namesake, King John is a willing partner to the scheme, owing to the Catholic monarch's support for nobles in Portugal who chafe against John’s centralization, most notably the House of Braganza. For now, John plays both sides.

France
Louis XI has been ill for some time. His physicians, and his long-suffering wife Charlotte, fret over him. But though the spider’s body fades his mind is still racing with plots.

He knows the nobility will seek to tear up his centralizing reforms as soon as he dies. To prevent this he names his daughter Anne as regent. “The least foolish woman in France”, he calls her.

He places his hopes for the future of France on her, to an even greater extent than his son and heir the Dauphin Charles.

Charlotte is crushed by her husband’s death, while young Charles is bewildered by his new responsibilities. Anne however is resolute. She assumes charge of the state and prepares, together with her husband, Peter the Duke of Bourbon, to face the inevitable challenges from restless nobles like Francis Duke of Brittany, Alain of Albret, Louis of Orleans, and of course, Maximilian and Mary.