The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Allies have poison gas, they could gas the German soldiers "covering" the mine-fields and then clear them out.

(Assuming the gas is successful in killing the Germans or suppressing attacks on the mine-clearing units.)

I think that'd be more effective than masses of conventional artillery or air raids, since many Pacific islands were bombarded thoroughly pre-invasion and the Japanese were still able to inflict lots of losses on the Allies.

A good point especially if using non-persistent agents, ie limited risk of contamination when advancing into previously held enemy territory. Also very limited risk of collateral damage as not much in the way of civilian population.

I'd still like an update about Italy. Even though the Alpine passes can be easily defended, I can still imagine the Allies (and the Italians, if allowed) to at least put pressure on the Germans there to divert their attentions from other Allied projects elsewhere.

Also, given how the British seem to be in charge of occupied Italy, I could imagine them trying to bring the country in their "sphere of influence" like they seem to be now with Poland and Ukraine.

And also Greece. Even if the Allies aren't able to do anything on the Greek mainland, I would have thought that they would at least occupy the Greek islands.

Cheers,
Nigel.

And also Greece. Even if the Allies aren't able to do anything on the Greek mainland, I would have thought that they would at least occupy the Greek islands.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Considering the fact that Bulgaria's switched sides now, can't they just walk in? They could probably liberate most of the Balkans while they're at it.

Considering the fact that Bulgaria's switched sides now, can't they just walk in? They could probably liberate most of the Balkans while they're at it.

CB said the local fascists are holding out to surrender to the Americans lest their own people lynch them, so occupying the Balkans could be a relatively bloodless venture.

Of course, the Germans might try to pull an Italy on the ones who switch sides, so it'd be best to bring in lots of air support quickly to take out any gas-bombers.

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
Having said that, we have already seen the allies successfully use helicopter assaults. Such tactics/assets would allow the allies to outflank/get behind potential blocking forces and help weed them out. Clearing the minefields would still be a lengthy process but perhaps the casualties could be kept to an acceptable minimum and thus forcing a passage through the Alps might be feasible. I guess it would all come down to a time/cost/resultant effect calculation.

While not very probable, I wonder if the Swiss could be 'convinced'
to join the Allies. This could give them give them a secure access to the back door of the Reich.

While not very probable, I wonder if the Swiss could be 'convinced'
to join the Allies. This could give them give them a secure access to the back door of the Reich.

All things are possible, but the Swiss are a canny folk and I wonder what the pay back would be for them to give up their neutrality? Also having the Swiss as local neutrals gives the Allies a convenient opening/conduit for communications/negotiations with the Reich (for what it is worth).

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
All things are possible, but the Swiss are a canny folk and I wonder what the pay back would be for them to give up their neutrality? Also having the Swiss as local neutrals gives the Allies a convenient opening/conduit for communications/negotiations with the Reich (for what it is worth).

There wouldn't be much payback. OTOH, they forced Turkey to join them. Once the s**t really, really, hits the fan (e.g. Ragnarök at the Rommel line), there might be not too much need for diplomatic back channels anymore. It would be just an opportunity to cut of a substantial part of the remaining resources of the Reich. Alternatively, Operation Avalanche Express could end in a Market Garden-like disaster :eek:.

There wouldn't be much payback. OTOH, they forced Turkey to join them. Once the s**t really, really, hits the fan (e.g. Ragnarök at the Rommel line), there might be not too much need for diplomatic back channels anymore. It would be just an opportunity to cut of a substantial part of the remaining resources of the Reich. Alternatively, Operation Avalanche Express could end in a Market Garden-like disaster :eek:.

There's also the fact that the Swiss geography doesn't make a particularly good back door to the Reich. Lake Constance would need landing craft to cross, and there's no way that the Allies could get their craft there. To the west of Lake Constance, there are the Alps. To the east, you have the High Rhine - a river valley with the Black Forest to the north. It's basically territory that's very helpful to the defenders.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
In which case the Swiss would probably say "what's the point?". If they are not going to get something substantial out of the deal why should they give up their neutrality?

Well, could they ? The US could use pressure like with Turkey. Also, the Swiss are not surrounded by the Axis anymore, so they cannot claim that they have t stay neutral.

As already mentioned, the geography along the Swiss/German border is not that useful for an attack anyway.
However, from my armchair general point of view :D, this would give the Allies access to the broad Vorarlberg valley, which leads nearly directly into the relatively flat Southern Bavaria Northeast of Lake Constance.

But I expect that even if this was tried, Switzerland probably had quite a lot of sleepers and (by now probably not so) open supporters of the Reich.

The Bears are doing very well in baseball team, despite being affiliated with a school not nearly as good as the University of Michigan.:D

The baseball team is having its best season ever, headed to the college, and has been reinstated as a varsity sport after have been dropped due to funding issues.
I wonder how the Bears are doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.