Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1904

Vote in the 1904 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I plan to run through every US presidential election, two per week. The 28 elections from 1789-1896 will be run simultaneously with the 28 elections from 1900-2008. Be sure to vote in each election!

For 1789-1800, I will include in the poll everyone who received at least 5% of the electoral vote. From 1804-2008, I will include everyone who received at least 0.05% of the popular vote. Results for each election will be posted on the dedicated Retrospective US Presidential Election Results Thread (here) and compared to the actual results. The thread for general project discussion is here.

Here's the link to the 1792 election.

Last edited:

wormyguy

Banned
Alton Parker, both because I admire him personally and because I'm not a fan of mass-murdering insane-warmongering "Nordic race"-supremacist proto-Fascists.

wormyguy

Banned
Can you elaborate a bit on that?

Yes, Roosevelt was an all-around creep who never met a war he didn't like, or a territory he didn't want to annex, and was the primary instigator of the genocidal campaign in the Philippines. Roosevelt was an avid eugenicist and white supremacist, who had friends like Madison Grant, eugenicist and founder of "racial science," which was the basis of Nazi doctrine. In praise of Grant's book The Passing of the Great Race, in which he introduced his "Nordic Race" theory, as well as suggesting the "elimination" of the "weak or unfit," followed by the "inferior race types," Roosevelt said "The book is a capital book: in purpose, in vision, in grasp of the facts that our people must need to realize. It is the work of an American scholar and gentleman, and all Americans should be grateful to you for writing it."

Roosevelt also staffed his cabinet almost entirely with appointees from the banking industries and big business, who financially supported his campaigns with great vigor, which makes the love liberals have for him seem more than a little strange.

Yes, Roosevelt was an all-around creep who never met a war he didn't like, or a territory he didn't want to annex, and was the primary instigator of the genocidal campaign in the Philippines. Roosevelt was an avid eugenicist and white supremacist, who had friends like Madison Grant, eugenicist and founder of "racial science," which was the basis of Nazi doctrine. In praise of Grant's book The Passing of the Great Race, in which he introduced his "Nordic Race" theory, as well as suggesting the "elimination" of the "weak or unfit," followed by the "inferior race types," Roosevelt said "The book is a capital book: in purpose, in vision, in grasp of the facts that our people must need to realize. It is the work of an American scholar and gentleman, and all Americans should be grateful to you for writing it."

Roosevelt also staffed his cabinet almost entirely with appointees from the banking industries and big business, who financially supported his campaigns with great vigor, which makes the love liberals have for him seem more than a little strange.

The Square Deal was pretty good. He is a preeminent figure in the conservation movement. He legitimately ended the Russo-Japanese War and won the Nobel Peace Prize. I also appreciate his stance on food inspection, although that and the War happened after the '04 election.

And it's odd that a supporter of big business would have a reputation for trust busting (goodbye Standard Oil) and strike mediating (Coal Strike of 1902).

wormyguy

Banned
The Square Deal was pretty good. He is a preeminent figure in the conservation movement. He legitimately ended the Russo-Japanese War and won the Nobel Peace Prize. I also appreciate his stance on food inspection, although that and the War happened after the '04 election.

And it's odd that a supporter of big business would have a reputation for trust busting (goodbye Standard Oil) and strike mediating (Coal Strike of 1902).

Do note the epilogue on the Wikipedia page about Standard Oil:

Standard's president, John Rockefeller, had long since retired from any management role. But, as he owned a quarter of the shares of the resultant companies, and those share values mostly doubled, he emerged from the dissolution as the richest man in the world.[36]

If I was voting for who I thought was a better choice with today's 20/20 hindsight, I'd vote for the most left wing person. Since I'm voting how I think I would vote if I were around back then, with the basic personality I have now, Roosevelt.

I almost voted for Debs, but I wasn't too sure about his criminal record. Roosevelt is awesome and all, but I'm sorry, the Philippines need to be freed from our oppression, and if we do it ourselves it will be better in the long run.

This. TR is way over-rated. I voted Debs.

On the other hand, he opposed lynching and defended African-American civil-service appointees. His record on race isn't one-sided. If I were voting in OTL, where TR and Parker were the only ones with a chance of winning, I'd go with TR - bad as the Republicans may have been on civil rights issues at the time, the Democrats were worse.

Here, though, Debs actually has a shot, so I'll vote for him.

I'm a little disappointed by the fact that Teddy only has about a 50% lead, I suppose Debs is a worthy opponent though.

As someone said previously he opposed the lynching of blacks, a rare thing to do publicly in that day and age, and certainly better than Woodrow Wilson's view. Roosevelt did say a lot of things that may have said a lot of racist things, but they were nowhere near Hitler. He believed that White civilization had achieved a higher level through culture, not biology, still racist, but it could be a lot worse. And of course, in regards to his cabinet, he appointed the first Jewish cabinet member and told the City of San Francisco that they needed to put Japanese students in the same class as whites. Far from promoting the "nordic race" he thought that Germany and German superiority was a threat to world peace (which he turned out to be at least partially right about).

In regards to foreign policy. Despite his actions in the Philippines he granted Cuba independence, and said of the Philippines themselves that "I should like to see them independent." He also prevented European colonial powers from exercising their will over Venezuela, and of course he provided the impetus behind the Panama canal project.

And as people have mentioned before, far from promoting big business and earning what you seem to think is unwarranted "love from liberals" he broke up several large monopolies and introduced some of the first true welfare legislation in US history. He was also the first of many presidents to attempt to push a universal healthcare plan through Congress.

Not to mention his various careers outside of politics. He overcame asthma through pure force of will, and whatever you think of his policies he was an incredibly impressive man and is worthy of a good deal of the praise he receives.

sigh...

At least no one is voting Prohibition.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
No. Just no.

You are NOT going to Spam the Pre & post 1900 with 50+ political threads. Not going to happen.

Political threads are for Chat. If you are going to run all these threads they are 100% certain to turn into political arguments.