Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1792

Vote in the 1792 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I plan to run through every US presidential election, two per week. The 28 elections from 1789-1896 will be run simultaneously with the 28 elections from 1900-2008. Be sure to vote in each election!

For 1789-1800, I will include in the poll everyone who received at least 5% of the electoral vote. From 1804-2008, I will include everyone who received at least 0.05% of the popular vote. Results for each election will be posted on the dedicated Retrospective US Presidential Election Results Thread (here) and compared to the actual results. The thread for general project discussion is here.

Here's the link to the 1904 election.

Last edited:
I'd like to start a tradition of (a) the president serving a single term, and (b) retired presidents staying on as vice-president to serve as senior advisers. Thus, I'm voting for Clinton and hoping Washington comes in second.

Washington jumps out to an early lead as would be expected, though George Clinton is providing some surprising resistance. Let's keep those votes coming in.

That's what King Louis said, too. And look at what happened to him.

Well the French "republican" rabble are surely going to fail now that Prussia and Austria are on the move. The next ships from Europe will surely arrive with news that Louis has regained his full powers after they occupy Paris.

Yeah, well...Washington is the only person standing between our republic and its principles, and Jacobinism.

Yeah, well...Washington is the only person standing between our republic and its principles, and Jacobinism.

Bump! By Jacobinism, what exactly are you referring to? I'm not familiar with the term, and it seems that there are various interpretations of its meaning.

Bump! By Jacobinism, what exactly are you referring to? I'm not familiar with the term, and it seems that there are various interpretations of its meaning.

Jacobinism, as in pertaining to the ideology of the Jacobins, and not that of the Jacobites?

Jacobinism, as in pertaining to the ideology of the Jacobins, and not that of the Jacobites?

OK, Wikipedia says that during the time of French Revolution, it referred to a revolutionary far-left political group. In France today, it refers to centralized national government. In early US history, Federalists used the term to refer to Democratic-Republicans, who IIUC were more in favor of states' rights and a decentralized government. So you can see where the confusion comes from.