Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdemar II

Banned
Jared just one point about the spread of pituri to the tropics, while common crops spread rather fast to these areas from the new world, cash crops didn't you can grow both cacao in West Africa, but the first spread there with European colonisation, I see the same thing happen with pituri. Beside that the succes of pitaru also depend on the labour intensity of farming it, especially because there will likely be a periode of lack of labour. Beside that Rimbraud has a good point, will the Spanish and Portugese be interested in growing it at all?

Does Aururia have anything that might become a popular consumer product that doesn't get you drunk or high?

An equivalent of cocoa or coffee. Frex.

I just had a thought about how funny it will be when Christians explain their religious practices to the Atjuntja...the whole "Lord" thing is going to interesting (for both parties) to explain.

Actually, Jared, if you look at it in terms of documentary and artifactual evidence, nasal snuff and pipes were also the common forms of enjoying tobacco, besides being chewed.

Quite, although I was under the impression that chewing tobacco was overall the most common use worldwide. Smoking in pipes was certainly important, too; among others, that was the way in which a lot of sailors smoked it, and the form in which common tobacco was introduced to Australia. (By the Macassars/Bugis).

Considering this is the Dutch, who already had a reputation of being pipe smokers by the 1600s, one would think they'd prefer it in their trademark clay churchwardens rather than as a chaw (tobacco usage being different area by area).

Yes, they would probably take it up in a smoking form almost immediately. Chewing it may still spread if Aururians are spread elsewhere as forced labourers, but at least among the Dutch, smoking will probably be the most popular form.

Considering the distance and time involved, one could see them altering the usage style. Navy cakes, ropes and rolls were among the primary ways of transporting tobak, back in the day, as it's actually a fairly delicate leaf by itself.

Good point. That may, in fact, be another advantage of pituri; it's a reasonably stable leaf if transported in a pouch or similar form. It was transported long distances through the baking heat of the desert, and still remained in a useable and highly desired form.

Of course chaw had the advantage of being cheap and easy, but it's a fairly uneconomical way of taking in tobacco. Nasal snuff gives you the most bang for your buck and is fairly stable if stored correctly. Smoking tends to give the most control over nicotine intake, as well as being the most given to aesthetic contemplation and ritual (read "Cigarettes are Sublime" for a brief intro into the various aesthetics of smoking over history). There's also the problem that Burley leaf tobacco hasn't come around yet.

Hmm. Smoking giving the most control over nicotine intake is a very important point. Pituri hits harder than tobacco, so being able to control the intake without becoming sick (as you mention below) would be rather important. The same control could be achieved by experienced chewers knowing not to take too large a mouthful, but that would be slower to learn.

Chaws taste godawful and sometimes burn the mouth using Virginias or other leaves, but like I said, cheap and easy, so it was done before.. Dunno the flavor of pituri, but it's something to think about.

I haven't tasted it personally, of course, but from everything I can find out, pituri has a sweeter and more desirable taste than any of the native Australian forms of "bush tobacco". Australia is actually home to quite a lot of nicotine-bearing plants, including at least 16 species of Nicotiana, and three species of Duboisia (including pituri proper). Some other plants such as Isotoma petraea were used as pituri substitutes, but my sources differ whether they contain actual nicotine or just a related alkaloid.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that out of all those plants, pituri was the only one which was exported over long distances. The combination of the taste and the effects meant that Aboriginal peoples preferred to use it wherever they could, and only made "bush tobacco" from the other plants when they couldn't get pituri. So the taste must have something going for it.

Also, if pituri is concentrated tobacco, are their other chemicals in it that balance out the effect of what happens when you take in too much nicotine, i.e. projectile vomiting (yes, it happens to all of us smokers, I got too enthusiastic with a genuine Cohiba once and overindulged).

Some of the other chemicals in pituri do balance out those effects, yes. Scopolamine, another alkaloid which is present in small but significant amounts, is used as a treatment for nausea, motion sickness and the like, and is being investigated for its potential in treating nicotine addiction. Hyoscyamine acts as a painkiller, although taking too much of it has side-effects of its own. Pituri only has relatively low concentrations of hyoscyamine, though; the nicotine component is much higher.

These effects of these compounds would only moderate the effects of concentrated nicotine consumption, of course. So users of pituri would have to be careful not to overdose. This may lead to more measured pipe consumption, very careful loading of chaws, or only very small pinches of snuff.

What it sounds like is more that pituri isn't so much "super-tobacco" than a tobacco relative that has other chemicals that open and or close neural receptor pathways so the nicotine has a more intense effect.

It's a combination of both, I believe. The nicotine content of the main domesticated tobacco species (N. tabacum) is about 1.5%, depending on variety. (For seventh-century tobacco, at least. Some recent selectively bred varieties may be higher.) The nicotine content of pituri is about 4-5%, depending on the area it's grown. The plant also contains nor-nicotine, but in a balanced amount (the more nicotine, the less nor-nicotine, and vice versa).

The other alkaloids are present in relatively trace amounts. They certainly added to the effect, but there was already a high nicotine dosage to start with.

If so, that could have an effect if someone takes it with caffiene or alcohol. If it causes you to get sick if you take some over a few drinks, it might not be too popular. If it causes you to feel like you're getting a full body massage from a hot chick right after you win the lottery, then it explodes in popularity.

As far as I know, there's no particular overlap with caffeine or alcohol. Except that large amounts of pituri are a sedative (much like nicotine, only more so), so too much pituri combined with alcohol would probably have people falling asleep to pleasant dreams.

Pituri was reportedly also used as a libido enhancer, and it does contain hyoscyamine, which has that as one of its effects. The Puritans may not like it.

Lastly, is it an MAOI inhibitor?

Not significantly higher than regular tobacco, I believe. The nicotine content is higher, but as I understand it, it isn't nicotine which is an MAO inhibitor, but some of the other alkaloids in tobacco. The other alkaloids in pituri have their own effects, but as far as I know they aren't significant MAO inhibitors.

Also the reason for kava not getting popular is pretty easy. It's a fairly fussy plant that takes years to grow, and the root powder is light and moisture sensitive. That and it tastes like mud mixed with novocaine. I still love the stuff, however. It's the Polynesian in me.

The flavour certainly does have something to do with it. I've only tried it once or twice, and I can't say the taste appeals.

Now coca and Indian hemp not really being picked up baffles me. Both grow easily within certain conditions, both taste good and transport well and both have significant pleasurable effect with little short term side effects. Both had short careers as pharmuceticals in the age when they could be concentrated chemically, but they didn't really pick up as luxury consumables.

My theory is that the colonizing powers in both areas had other things on their mind rather than "Maybe I could grow this and sell it back home."

That probably had a lot to do with it. In the case of coca, the devastation of the native population due to disease, and the large-scale cultural replacement, didn't help either. Nor did the connection it had with pre-Columbian religious beliefs.

A similar event is what killed large-scale pituri cultivation in OTL. The desirable form of pituri was confined to a small, arid area around the Mulligan River. Eurasian diseases swept through, killing most of the population, and the remaining people mostly abandoned their homes and went elsewhere, so the local knowledge was lost.

In *Australia, though, there's a highly trade-motivated commercial power which is looking for new products to sell. They're bound to try to export pituri, at least for a while.

I think the main reasons for kava not being adopted were a) its "discovery" being mostly by missionaries who saw the practice as sinful and linked to idolatrous practices, b) once colonization was in progress its use being suppressed along with all "kastom" for practical imperialist purposes (i.e. "keep the brown savages in line" by crushing their cultural identity), and finally (and maybe most importantly) c) the fact that it's literally made from spit and looks and tastes like mud.

That said, it's finding a small cult culture in the western world now. Here's a kava bar in Florida, frex.

It may be expanding in some places, although the only reason I've ever tried it is because one of my neighbours was Fijian. He used to throw a few kava parties now and then, which usually ended up being very entertaining. Although the kava may have only been incidental to the entertainment, but I digress.

Jared just one point about the spread of pituri to the tropics, while common crops spread rather fast to these areas from the new world, cash crops didn't you can grow both cacao in West Africa, but the first spread there with European colonisation, I see the same thing happen with pituri.

It is a good question how long cash crops will take to diffuse to new areas. Common crops spread there because the locals could use them for subsistence farming. Cash crops are only going to spread where either a) the locals can grow them for a profit; or b) a colonial power can impose a system of forced labour or equivalent which allows the colonial power to grow things at a profit.

Thus, maize spread rapidly to West Africa because the locals could grow it. Cacao didn't, or at least not much, because the locals didn't have that much of an opportunity to grow it for a profit, and colonial powers didn't have enough control to impose a system where it was grown.

The same principles will determine where pituri spreads, if anywhere.

Beside that the succes of pitaru also depend on the labour intensity of farming it, especially because there will likely be a periode of lack of labour.

It will, but pituri is less labour-intensive than tobacco. Tobacco needed a lot of tending while it was growing, and the harvesting was equally difficult. Pituri is more a case of plant it and forget it until you come back to harvest it. The only tending it may need is occasional pruning if it's getting too big, or some supplemental irrigation if going through a really dry spell. (The plant will survive drought, but the leaves may shrivel and lose flavour for harvesting).

That said, pituri will still most likely be grown in a plantation-style system... so labour will matter. It just won't need as much labour as some other plantation crops.

Beside that Rimbraud has a good point, will the Spanish and Portugese be interested in growing it at all?

'Tis a good question. The Spanish and Portuguese did grow regular tobacco in plantations rather early, and in fact tried to keep a monopoly over the plants. John Rolfe had to smuggle the first N. tabacum seeds into Virginia before it could be grown there.

Of course, tobacco was already in the New World, and the locals there knew how to plant it. The Spanish/Portuguese didn't have to import a new crop wholesale, although they did transplant it to different parts of the Americas. Ditto for cacao.

The Spanish/Portuguese did import some new crops to the New World. Sugar, obviously, but they already had a demonstrated example of how sugar could be grown in plantation agriculture (eg the Canary Islands). They did not introduce coffee directly; that came via the French in Martinique.

So, while the Spanish or Portuguese may find it useful to import pituri, there's no guarantees. And even if it does happen, it may not happen quickly.

Does Aururia have anything that might become a popular consumer product that doesn't get you drunk or high?

A lot of flavourings and spices. Various kinds of myrtles, ferinstance, or some of the native mints, native gingers, "native thyme" (it's not actually that close a taste), peppers etc. I don't know whether any of those would be as profitable as pituri, though.

An equivalent of cocoa or coffee. Frex.

It's possible to make a form of "wattleseed coffee"; it's brewed occasionally at the moment. That might take off, but it doesn't have any of the caffeine which makes coffee so addictive, erm, I mean pleasurable.

Past that, it's hard to say. Our knowledge of the local Australian flora is not actually all that great, since so much was lost during the devastation of Aboriginal culture. For instance, we know that Aboriginal people used a wide variety of native mushrooms and other fungi for their taste. Dozens, at least. But we can only identify two of those species, and one of those species (beefsteak fungus) we only know because it's a relative of one grown elsewhere in the world. For all we know, there may be an equivalent of, say, truffles there which no-one's figured out how to grow properly.

Howevere, there are a couple of other plants which may take off. Kutjera (aka "desert raisin") is a desert plant whose berries have an interesting flavour - described as somewhere between tamarillo and caramel. They also conveniently dry on the bush, which makes them easy to package and transport. A few centuries of selective breeding of those plants for flavour may well make for a tasty export crop.

There's also an interesting plant called "peanut tree" (Sterculia quadrifida) which is native to eastern Australia. A subtropical plant (like many) which tolerates drought but not frost. It produces a large fruit-pod which splits open to yield about 8 peanut-sized, nutty seeds. Apparently very tasty, although people disagree as to whether they really taste like peanuts. That may take off as a flavouring, too, although I doubt that it will become as popular as coffee.

I just had a thought about how funny it will be when Christians explain their religious practices to the Atjuntja...the whole "Lord" thing is going to interesting (for both parties) to explain.

'Twill be complex, sure enough.

"So you are followers of the Lord?"

"Yes, he sacrificed his life so that we could all be saved."

"Ah, we know how important sacrifices to the Lord are, too..."

An equivalent section to this probably won't appear in the next post, as such, although that post does show some of the Dutch reactions to the White City. The more detailed religious experiences will have to wait for a later instalment.

Jared, this is my favorite timeline ever. Fantastic job.

Betel nuts actually spread very widely from their native range (somewhere in the Phillipines probably), but I think it has a lot to do with the Austronesian expansion out from Taiwan through the Philippines and then Indonesia. It never really gained much ground in the West because black teeth and blood red saliva aren't exactly things we are used to seeing.

I have a feeling that the other Duboisia aren't widely used because they contain dangerous levels of nicotine and/or scopolamine, though maybe we'll see the use of high-scopolamine species as a hallucinogen? Several Amerindian tribes use the related Datura and Brugmansia in shamanism. Since pituri has such a high nicotine content, intrepid Europeans who try it for the first time may have very high rates of nicotine overdose.

Hmmm, since it's the Dutch, I gotta suggestion.
The Japanese tobacco pipe (kiseru) is a tiny wee bowled thing used for taking up the fairly strong Japanese kizami tobacco. I could see it being adapted for the purpose of pituri.

Really though, I see it being more popular as a smokable or nasal snuff particularly in the beginning, when it's more of a luxury. Even regular tobak is kind of difficult to take a chaw, which is why in places where chaws were the main form of tobacco use, it's mostly been replaced by oral snuff. Back in the day they used to give chaws to young kids starting work, as a sort of hazing. It's pretty much the easiest way to get too much too fast.

I'm actually pretty interested in trying it now. Is there a place you know where it can be ordered?

I have a feeling that the other Duboisia aren't widely used because they contain dangerous levels of nicotine and/or scopolamine, though maybe we'll see the use of high-scopolamine species as a hallucinogen? Several Amerindian tribes use the related Datura and Brugmansia in shamanism. Since pituri has such a high nicotine content, intrepid Europeans who try it for the first time may have very high rates of nicotine overdose.

Well, Datura is far from a *good* high from what I understand and definitely not recreational. The hallucinations are completely real. Not surreal and dreamlike "wow, look at that" common with recreational hallucinogens but totally real-feeling long conversations with dead relatives and friends who are across the country. It completley separates the walls between concious and subconcious. Bad trips are really bad. The Native Americans used it to commune with the dead or otherworldy spirits while in Haiti Bokor (Vodou sorcerers) call it concombre zombi (zombie's cucumber) and use it to keep their "zombie" slaves in a completely disconnected and, well, zombified state. Certainly not the stuff of Phish concerts...well, unless you really want to see Jerry on stage.

Plus the line between dose and overdose is really thin.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Jared, it is these little details you throw in that make this not just a good TL but a truly great one:D

Well, Datura is far from a *good* high from what I understand and definitely not recreational. The hallucinations are completely real. Not surreal and dreamlike "wow, look at that" common with recreational hallucinogens but totally real-feeling long conversations with dead relatives and friends who are across the country. It completley separates the walls between concious and subconcious. Bad trips are really bad. The Native Americans used it to commune with the dead or otherworldy spirits while in Haiti Bokor (Vodou sorcerers) call it concombre zombi (zombie's cucumber) and use it to keep their "zombie" slaves in a completely disconnected and, well, zombified state. Certainly not the stuff of Phish concerts...well, unless you really want to see Jerry on stage.

It's those extreme effects that make me wonder whether it will be used in religious ceremonies.
Scopolamine is definitely not a recreational drug. I know first hand how bad even a very mild (accidental) dose can be.

It's those extreme effects that make me wonder whether it will be used in religious ceremonies.
Scopolamine is definitely not a recreational drug. I know first hand how bad even a very mild (accidental) dose can be.

It's a useful drug if you want to see dead people, so yea, ceremonially it can work. Not fun at all, but certainly fits the bill if you need to see what's not there.

Jared, this is my favorite timeline ever. Fantastic job.

Thanks!

Betel nuts actually spread very widely from their native range (somewhere in the Phillipines probably), but I think it has a lot to do with the Austronesian expansion out from Taiwan through the Philippines and then Indonesia. It never really gained much ground in the West because black teeth and blood red saliva aren't exactly things we are used to seeing.

Betel nuts did spread a fair way, but they were still limited; not really to China, for instance. Not just Westerners who didn't find stained teeth appealling, I suppose.

I have a feeling that the other Duboisia aren't widely used because they contain dangerous levels of nicotine and/or scopolamine, though maybe we'll see the use of high-scopolamine species as a hallucinogen? Several Amerindian tribes use the related Datura and Brugmansia in shamanism.

The other Duboisia species had lower nicotine levels, I believe, which made them less appealling. Plus much higher levels of scopolamine and hyoscyamine. (Proper pituri has only traces of those compounds.)

Of course, even most Duboisia hopwoodii was considered unsuitable for human consumption - Aboriginal people only used the variety from the Mulligan River area. Plants from other places were just used as fish poison instead. That was probably just for taste reasons, but maybe they also remembered some bad experiences from trying the local varieties.

Since pituri has such a high nicotine content, intrepid Europeans who try it for the first time may have very high rates of nicotine overdose.

Most likely this will just involve the nasty discovery of the vomit reflex (as Rimbaud mentioned upthread), which happens when the human body gets too much nicotine. It is possible to overdose on nicotine, but since people usually get very sick first, that's not usually fatal.

Hmmm, since it's the Dutch, I gotta suggestion.
The Japanese tobacco pipe (kiseru) is a tiny wee bowled thing used for taking up the fairly strong Japanese kizami tobacco. I could see it being adapted for the purpose of pituri.

Good idea!

Really though, I see it being more popular as a smokable or nasal snuff particularly in the beginning, when it's more of a luxury. Even regular tobak is kind of difficult to take a chaw, which is why in places where chaws were the main form of tobacco use, it's mostly been replaced by oral snuff. Back in the day they used to give chaws to young kids starting work, as a sort of hazing. It's pretty much the easiest way to get too much too fast.

The influence of the Dutch may be crucial here. Since it will be them introducing it to the world, the form which they chose will probably be the most popular. If they are all smoking it, then probably much of the world will follow suit.

I'm actually pretty interested in trying it now. Is there a place you know where it can be ordered?

It's not commercially available that I know of, at least not outside of Australia. The takeup of pituri is one of the rediscoveries of Australian plants which has been happening in the last couple of decades; there's a broader "bushfood" market which has developed then, too. A few people are wild gathering it, and the like. There's a couple of places where you can order the seeds, but that would involve cultivating the plant, too.

The other thing I'd be careful of is that Aboriginal people only used the drug from one small region (Mulligan River). The people who are gathering it from the modern world aren't visiting that region, but just using any Duboisia hopwoodii which they can find. The effect won't be the same, and it may well be riskier (more toxic).

This is quite a big risk. Communing with the spirits of the dead is all very well, but that doesn't mean that you want to do it directly.

There are a few Australian plants which produce those sort of hallucinogenic highs, but they don't seem to have been used much by Aboriginal people, perhaps for that reason.

Incidentally, there's even Australian plants which are close relatives of the plant which produces cocaine, to the point where the cultivation of those plants are outlawed in some states. Sadly for those who are enthusiasts for such things, though, what those plants produce seems to be a related alkaloid, not cocaine itself.

Jared, it is these little details you throw in that make this not just a good TL but a truly great one:D

Thanks. I do try to keep track of the details. I am not obsessive about anything, though. Just excuse me for a moment while I go wash my hands seventeen times.

Lands of Red and Gold #23: The City Between The Waters
Lands of Red and Gold #23: The City Between The Waters

“She is mine own,
And I as rich in having such a jewel
As twenty seas, if all their sand were pearl,
The water nectar, and the rocks pure gold.”

- William Shakespeare, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Act II, Scene IV

Excerpts from “My Life in the South-Land”. Written by Pieter Stins, a sailor who served in de Houtman’s first and second voyages to what would come to be called Aururia.

Our ships sailed into the harbour of Witte Stad [1] on 26 July. Even before we came ashore, we knew we had reached a city like no other in the South-Land. Buildings covered the shore, some in a large city in the main harbour, and a smaller quarter across the water. Neither quarter had walls, and even from a distance it seemed as if everything had been built on a colossal scale.

There were docks aplenty; unlike the smaller cities, Witte Stad had boats in abundance. A few boats moved in the harbour, most of them small vessels like those of the other cities. One was larger and completely strange; twin hulls, lateen rigged, steered with a rudder rather than steering oar. One of our translators said that this was an Islander ship, from some subject people who live in the east and who sail west to trade and to honour the native emperor.

The city officials had known we were coming. They declared that only Captain-General de Houtman and thirteen other men could come ashore into the main city at any one time. The rest would have to stay at the foreign quarter across the water.

The Captain-General did not trust them, and had our ships stay well out to sea in the main harbour. The natives were meticulous in watching and counting who came and went; throughout our time there, we would only ever have fourteen men ashore at any one time. I was fortunate enough to be among the thirteen whom the Captain-General chose to accompany him into Witte Stad...

My memories of Witte Stad are confused in their order and their sense. Throughout my time there, especially the first few days, it felt as if I were walking through a dream. This is a city like no other, the jewel of the Orient, a place of mystery, splendour and horror combined. Here, the native emperor has gathered everything important in his realm into one place; gold, stone, gardens, animals, men, and heathen gods.

Everything in the city has been built to be larger than life. A man cannot walk down any street without being dwarfed by statues, whether of men or idols, looming over him wherever he walks. It is crowded, thronging with men from all quarters of this realm. I know not the numbers, but there must be tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands. More men and women dwell here in any city of the Netherlands, or any European city I have seen. Some cities of the Orient may be larger, but none that I have seen or heard of have been built on this scale designed to make men feel like mice [2].

Two sounds I always remember from my time in Witte Stad. One is the noises of construction and maintenance. Seldom can a man walk far in this city without witnessing the toils of those who serve their emperor. Men labour to move materials, to shape and repair statues, to smooth and maintain the roads, to build in wood and stone, to clean and polish buildings [3]. When their work itself is silent, then the natives provide their own noise, chanting and singing as they labour. I could not decide whether the music is because they are joyful to work or to take their minds from their endless labour.

Another sound I will never forget is the endless sound of water. It is not as loud as the toils of labour, but it is always present. Rare is it indeed to find a place in the city where a man cannot hear the sound of water, whether flowing, cascading, bubbling from fountains, or dripping from the mouths of statues.

The natives adore the sound of water, and devote much of their labour to ensuring that it can always be heard. Fountains are numerous throughout the city. Sometimes water spouts from elaborately carved statues, sometimes it cascades over rocks in melodies which the natives find pleasing, and often it fills basins where a man can drink his fill whenever he chooses.

Nowhere do the natives use water more lavishly than the place they call the Thousand-fold Garden [4]. This is a veritable wonder of nature, of carefully shaped stones and plants. An endless array of trees and shrubs, a maze of flowers and beauty, trod by ducks with feathers of a thousand hues. Amidst the Garden is always the sound of water; cascading over rocks, flowing down falls, or bubbling from artfully arranged fountains that mimic the natural world...

When I first witnessed the Garden, I thought that the natives must have heard of Eden as God made it in the beginning, and that they had done their best to create a replacement for it in this fallen world. Alas, I soon learned how mistaken I was in this regard.

The natives’ beliefs are a corruption of Christianity. They refer to the Lord, but believe that they must make endless sacrifices. They know not that Christ died for all our sins, and kill men or shed their blood slowly in the name of pain. I will not commit to paper a full report of the bloodthirsty abominations they commit in the name of their perverted gospel. Theirs is a heathen religion of torture, the twisted worship of a false Christ, a malformed degradation of all that is good and holy...

The natives of Witte Stad are divided into two peoples. The people who call themselves the Atjuntja are the rulers; not all the people of this stock are considered noble, but they all think of themselves as better than their subjects. In skin and in features, there is naught to distinguish an Atjuntja from their subjects, but all of their men wear full beards, and they do not permit the same to their subjects. Most all of the Atjuntja have black hair.

Their subjects go by a variety of names; the one most common I heard was Yaora, but sometimes they call themselves Yuduwungu and Madujal [5]. Most of these Yaora have blonde or light hair, though their skins are much darker. With some of the Yaora men, their hair is darker, especially those who have grown older, but not yet old enough for their hair to turn gray or white. The men among them do not all shave, but those who have beards keep them trimmed short. Our native interpreters told me that among the Atjuntja, light hair is considered a sign of common blood, although the other Yaora do not care about it in the same way...

While Witte Stad is unlike the smaller towns and cities of the South-Land in many ways, it seems to me that most of all it is designed to be a spectacle. In its construction, its waters, and its streets, it is shaped to ensure that all who visit here know that this is the residence of their emperor.

It is kept that way by most careful arrangement. For these Atjuntja do not even allow animals to wander free and disturb the streets. While these people know nothing of sheep, horses or pigs, they have nooroons [emus], dogs and ducks, but they do not allow them to roam the streets, except for the multi-hued ducks in the Garden. They even keep out the pole-cats [quolls] that they use to hunt vermin. Perhaps animals are kept away because they are so fastidious about keeping their streets clean; I do not know. But I do know that this city is a place of wonder.

July-August 1620
Witte Stad / Milgawee [White City]
D’Edels Land / Tiayal [western coast of Australia]

A cool breeze swept across North Water into the Foreign Quarter. Standing on the shore, looking west to the twin peaks at the heart of the greatest Ajuntja city, Yuma thought that the wind was most appropriate. It brought the tangy aroma of salt water, diluted slightly by fragrances of eucalypts and shrubs, a silent reminder that these Atjuntja worshipped nature instead of understanding it. Still, more important than the smell, the wind blew from the direction of the three strange ships that waited silently in the other harbour, West Water.

Yuma, third-most senior trading captain of the Tjula bloodline, was not usually a man given to indecision. Few Nangu trading captains were. In a world where the greatest profit went to the boldest, a captain who hesitated would be lucky if his bloodline elders did not strip him of his command or find his crew deserting for captains who earned greater wealth and glory.

Now, though, he had found himself watching for two days, and he had still come no closer to a decision. He was the captain of the last Nangu great-ship of the winter’s trading fleet to remain in Milgawee. The rest had departed over the last two weeks. Those with better captains carried cargoes of sandalwood, spices, gold and fragrant oils; those with weaker captains bore mostly iron, silver, or dyes.

Yuma himself had brought his ship, the Restless, to these western lands with a cargo of kunduri, Tjibarr jewellery, and gum cider. He had carefully negotiated a series of exchanges of most of this cargo for sandalwood and gold. He could have finished his trading a week ago, but had held on to the rest of his loading of kunduri to see if he could bargain for a better deal once the Atjuntja realised that the other ships were gone and that no more kunduri could be had until the next trading fleet arrived months later.

Thanks to that delay, and perhaps the guidance of the sixth path, he had been the first Nangu captain to glimpse these strange ships enter the harbour. Ships larger than even the finest Nangu great-ship. Perhaps not as manoeuvrable, but an intimidating sight nonetheless. He had known instantly that these were foreigners; the pitiful Atjuntja knowledge of shipbuilding would not allow them to build anything remotely approaching the quality of these ships.

Word from across the water at the main quarter of Milgawee brought endless rumours of the strangers who used these ships. Raw-skinned men from beyond the world, as the Atjuntja understood it. Men with strange skills and crafts, none more awe-inspiring than that they could bind thunderbolts and use them as weapons. Men who had visited the western coast the previous year and killed Atjuntja soldiers, but who had returned speaking of peace. Apparently the commander of these raw-skinned men had been admitted to the Palace of a Thousand Rooms to meet with the King of Kings.

Yuma doubted that last part of the rumours, at least. The myriad complexities of Atjuntja protocol would not allow the King of Kings to meet with any stranger so easily. Not that it would matter; the Atjuntja conducted such negotiations through intermediaries anyway.

Still, no matter what the Atjuntja babbled about, he knew that these strangers must be men like any other. No-one had ever heard of any western islands worth visiting before, and the King of King’s edict against western exploration meant that few Nangu had tried to find such islands. But it was only sensible that such lands existed. After all, if the Maori came from Aotearoa beyond the sunrise, why should there not be other islands beyond the sunset?

Which left Yuma in an odd position. He was, for now, the only Nangu trading captain to know about these strange ships from beyond the west. A few Nangu lived here permanently, but they were of no consequence for his purposes. No-one else back on the Island would hear word of these strangers for months unless he carried it.

So he had to decide whether to approach them, and how to find out what he could. If these raw-skins were wealthy, trade with them could prove to be very valuable. Unfortunately, there was another problem. The bearded Atjuntja buffoons were always wary of any Nangu captains who sailed further west; they preferred trade to flow through their home ports. They would be very suspicious of anything which they saw as an attempt to bypass them.

Then he had to consider these strangers themselves. They had been told that they could dock in the Foreign Quarter, if they wished, but they had chosen to keep their ships well out in the harbour. These actions spoke of a people who were full of suspicion. Any surreptitious attempts to sail to those ships would be more likely to bring an attack than a conversation. And the few strangers who went ashore to the main quarter of the city were being closely watched, he was sure. It would be difficult to speak to them without the Atjuntja finding out.

As he stared across the water, Yuma decided that for now, it would not be worth his while trying to contact these raw-skinned strangers. They were only three ships in one visit; they would not have that much worth trading for directly. Better to finish his own trading for now and sail back to the Island.

Once back home, he could consider other ways to take advantage of this new discovery. Perhaps take a great-ship further west into the sunset, to see if he could find these stranger’s home islands. Or he could bring a more carefully-chosen cargo next time, with more samples of many goods, to find out what these raw-skinned strangers wanted to trade for.

For now, though, he decided, these strangers should be left alone.

Lerunna Mundi, chamberlain of the palace, most favoured servant of the Petal Throne [6], reached for the kunduri pouch at his waist. Only a small ball, of course; enough to relax, not to stupefy. During an important negotiation, only a fool would drop a boulder into the stillness [7].

Still, he welcomed the double blessing the kunduri brought. For one, he had a welcome break while he rolled the ground leaves into ash from a lantern, shaped them into a ball and chewed them. That let him force the raw-skinned commander – dee Ootman, he called himself – into blessed silence for a few moments.

For another, the blissful relaxation of kunduri let him rebuild the aura of calm and relaxation which His Exalted Majesty had ordered in all dealings with these Raw Ones. Oh, this dee Ootman was not a complete fool, as far as such things went. But this outlander was so wrong-headed in his expectations that the difference was sometimes difficult to remember.

With the kunduri chewed and his spirit’s essence restored, Lerunna turned his attention back to the outlander. As patiently as he could, he said, “You will not be admitted to see the King of Kings. You are not of the blessed; you cannot hear his voice.”

How could even an ignorant outlander have so much difficulty grasping such a fundamental truth? No-one would be allowed to hear the Voice of Divinity without being of the right birth. Being an outlander was a disadvantage, but not an insurmountable one. Some of the Thousand Rooms had hosted outlanders as imperial guests, usually some desert chieftain who needed to be pacified, or occasional eastern delegations from the Islanders, Mutjing or Gunnagal. “If your western sta-tjol-der comes himself or sends one of his kin, perhaps His Exalted Majesty will grant his blessing and allow an audience.”

The peasant interpreter looked worried when he had to translate that. The conversation between the two went back and forth for some time; Lerunna supposed that the interpreter was taking the opportunity to explain some truths to dee Ootman.

Taking advantage of the pause, Lerunna made a closer study of this outlander. His clothing was a mixture of marvel and stupidity. Made of some fibre called wool, or so he understood from the previous conversations, that was suppler than even the finest linen. Yet it was woven into strange tubes wrapped around arms and legs, and belted closely at his waist, in a form that seemed far too hot and uncomfortable.

This dee Ootman knew enough of proper appearance to wear a full beard, yet several of the outlanders with him did not. All of these men had pink skin which showed when they flushed. Likewise, his beard and hair were coloured orange-red; an odd hue for a commander. Some of his men had dark hair, and others had blonde, but the colour of their hair did not appear to correspond to any difference in rank.

Odd, very odd. Easterners all had dark hair, so they could not use that to distinguish amongst themselves. These westerners, though, had different classes and different hair colour. Why did they not use this information?

After the interpreter finished explaining a few truths, dee Ootman said, “If your King of Kings will not meet me, how can I be sure that he has agreed to terms of trade?”

Even the bliss of kunduri could not stop Lerunna from nodding in sheer disbelief at this outlander’s ignorance. He composed himself, then said, “His Exalted Majesty has chosen me to speak on his behalf. I bear his message, I speak with his words. His Majesty is minded to allow trade, or he would not invite me to speak with you at all.”

As the interpreter laboriously relayed his words into the outlander tongue, Lerunna reflected how frustrating it was to work through a peasant interpreter. Not to mention another sign of this dee Ootman’s wrong-headedness. Any outlander who came to the White City to trade and negotiate should have taken the time to learn the Atjuntja tongue. The Islanders, warped through they were in other ways, had long known that. So did the few desert chieftains who had been permitted into the White City. Why did these raw-skinned outlanders not do the same?

Maybe, Lerunna wondered, dee Ootman was more cunning than he appeared. Maybe this bearded commander had learned the Atjuntja language, but chose not to reveal it. So far, dee Ootman had not shown any signs of understanding when he heard Lerunna speak, but maybe that was a ruse. Perhaps this outlander kept silent because he had more time to think while the interpreted relayed the words, or in case he overhead conversations. Lerunna decided that he would have to be careful speaking in the Atjuntja language in the presence of any outlanders, even if the interpreters were not present or not translating.

Dee Ootman said, “Your King of Kings’ willingness to trade is welcome. Yet it is frustrating that we have had to wait so long before we could meet anyone to discuss trade.”

Again, Lerunna wondered how this outlander could misunderstand something so simple. “You are in the dominion of the King of Kings, who fears nothing in the mortal realms. Here, you will follow his timing and his wishes. If you were in the realm of your sta-tjol-der, then you would do as he pleased. Here, you will wait on our pleasure.”

Dee Ootman nodded when that was translated. The interpreter hastily explained that amongst these outlanders, a nod meant agreement rather than distrust or disapproval.

After that, they settled down to discuss trade terms. The negotiations were leisurely, drawn out over three days of production of samples, exchanges of gifts, presentation of food, and other appropriate courtesies. Dee Oootman learned quickly; by the end of the negotiations, he had become much more polite in his dealings.

The terms of trade which they eventually agreed were much as Lerunna had expected, of course. For all of the courtesy, exchange of gifts and marvellous products which these outlanders offered, they were strangers to this land. They had to accept His Exalted Majesty’s terms if they wished to trade at all.

As per his instructions, Lerunna thus secured agreement to trade terms barely changed from what the Islanders followed. Trade was to be conducted at two ports on the western coast, with the land for the trading posts negotiated with the local governors. These outlander ships were not to make landfall anywhere other than the two trading posts, except in emergency if they needed food or repairs. If their ships had to land, then they should stay no longer than needed for repairs, food, or favourable weather for sailing.

Only the named trade goods were to be exchanged at the trading posts, and nothing else of value. If the outlanders had new goods which they wished to trade, they must first gain the approval of His Exalted Majesty or one of his governors. The outlanders could live and worship within the bounds of the trading posts, but when venturing outside, they would not speak of their own faith or seek to convert any of the King of Kings’ subjects.

In all of the negotiations, only two matters gave Lerunna any real surprises. The first was when he stated that while the outlanders could build their own dwellings within the trading posts, they could not build any fortifications.

“What if we are threatened?” dee Ootman asked. “There are other nations whose ships may try to attack our trading posts.”

A meaningless answer, as far as Lerunna was concerned. The whole of the Middle Country lived under the King of King’s peace, and his sovereignty. His Exalted Majesty would protect people, and he would not suffer walls to be built around subject cities which might be used to support rebellion. The only exceptions came in frontier areas where the desert dwellers might raid. Even then, any wall-builders were carefully watched.

He said, “If you fear for your safety, ask of the governors, and they will provide Atjuntja troops for your protection.”

The other surprising matter came when dee Ootman wanted to write the terms of the trade agreement. Very good to want it in writing, of course. Yet he presented some flimsy stuff which he called paper, and wanted the trade agreement written on that. Lerunna threw back his head and laughed at that nonsense. Oh, this lightweight material might perhaps be more useful than parchment for everyday messages and records, but what kind of fool would present it as a binding pact of trade?

He said, “What use have we for that material which is even more crumbling than parchment? No treaty set on parchment will last. Our agreement will be written in stone here in the White City, and repeated on land-stones at the sites of your trading posts.”

Captain-General Frederik de Houtman stood on the stern of the Assendelft, watching as Witte Stad faded into the distance. First the trees and flowers blended into the background, then the shapes of the statues became impossible to discern, and then the docks blurred into insignificance. His last sight of Witte Stad was of the Twin Peaks, clad in green and stone, slowly vanishing in clouds that blew in from the west.

With the great city fading, de Houtman allowed a broad smile to creep across his face. “I do believe we will be congratulated for what we’ve accomplished here.”

Captain Cornelisz de Vries nodded. “So we should be. A city like that... As God is my witness, never have I been so bittersweet about leaving a port. How can those people combine such wonder with such depravity?”

De Houtman shrugged. “They won’t inflict their heathen rites on us.” Of all the astonishing things in this city of wonders, the greatest was that the victims of this sacrificial blood-letting had all freely volunteered. “I’m not happy to witness those events, but it won’t stop us trading with them.”

Negotiating a trade treaty had taken much longer than it should have, especially the endless frustration of never getting any meeting with their emperor. Still, he had achieved the most important part of his mission: a trade agreement.

And what riches it would bring!

He knew, now, what trade goods would be preferred here. Even if when finding out, the Atjuntja had refused to call what they did trade. They had called it exchanges of gifts, since trade was only permitted to Dutchmen on their western coast. For now, anyway; that prohibition would not last forever.

The exchanges had been an acceptable substitute for trade, and had told him what he needed to know. These Atjuntja had been impressed with cotton textiles, with tin and steel, with rum, and most of all with the lacquered chest from Coromandel. They were not at all impressed with Brazilian tobacco, but then he did not like their version of tobacco, either. He had seen that some of it was brought on his ships anyway, naturally. Maybe others would find it more palatable. If not, sometimes any tobacco was better than none. Besides, he had a few samples of their kunduri, which was better than tobacco, in his estimation. Even if the Atjuntja had been horrified when he tried smoking it.

Regardless of how valuable this kunduri might prove to be, this land had many other goods of worth: gold, silver, sandalwood, indigo and other dyes, and salt. Some of their other produce might be valuable, too. The gum of their wealth-trees resembled gum arabic; perhaps it could be sold for a suitable profit. Their peppers had a hotter taste than any which de Houtman had ever experienced; maybe they, too, could be sold as a spice.

De Vries said, “Are you sure you want to sail no further east?”

“Quite. We have fulfilled our instructions,” de Houtman said.

Enough of the instructions, at least. He had explored, charted, recorded and negotiated. He had secured a trade agreement and permission at two sites to be chosen – no doubt this Archers Nest, and somewhere else he would leave to the Governor-General to consider. He had brought enough gold and silver to pay for the cost of this expedition, even if everything else he had found turned out to be worthless.

Oh, he had not quite fulfilled everything. He had not secured any of the natives by force, judging that it would do too much harm. One of his sailors had brought back a native mistress, but that woman would hardly be available for the Company’s use. Nor had he extended the Netherlands’ protection to these Atjuntja, but no-one could have achieved that.

He had accomplished everything that the Company could have hoped for, and more besides. As the three Dutch yachts navigated out of the harbour and began the slow journey west, de Houtman could only look forward with eager anticipation to the new tomorrows which awaited him.

[1] Witte Stad is Dutch for White City. It acquired this name because the native translators have a habit of translating the meaning of names, where they have such meanings, rather than transliterating them. So they consistently translated the city’s component words into Dutch as Witte Stad. Thus, this became the name by which the White City would become known in the wider world. For a while, at least.

[2] Amsterdam, the largest city in the Netherlands at this time, had around 50,000 people. Rotterdam was smaller. The White City at its fullest holds around 200,000 people, and this expedition is visiting at a time when workers are not needed in the fields, so most of the drafted labourers are in residence. There were certainly larger cities at this point (Beijing is thought to have been the largest city in the world), but none which Stins has visited.

[3] The construction and repair of the White City is not always this laborious, but de Houtman’s expedition visited during the peak season of the year, when drafted labour is present in large numbers, and when most of the maintenance is performed.

[4] This name is a mistranslation from the real Atjuntja name, which would be more accurately translated as the Garden of Ten Thousand Steps. The native translators did not yet have a complete grasp of the Dutch language.

[5] Stins has misunderstood the relationship between the peoples of the Middle Country. Originally, Yaora was the collective name for all of the related peoples who occupied the south-western portion of Aururia, including the Atjuntja themselves. The name is still sometimes used in that sense, but the more common modern usage is to refer to any non-Atjuntja subject people within the Middle Country. Yuduwungu and Madujal are the names of two of the subject peoples, and who are numerous enough that they make up the most common labour draftees to the White City.

[6] In his own mind, at least.

[7] This Atjuntja metaphor can be approximately translated as “only a fool would cloud his sense.”

Thoughts?

I get an ominous feeling that, having read about transfer of disease, de Houtman might now have many more new tomorrows.

Excellent, Jared, simply excellent. You've pictured real men, cautious traders and haughty nobles, and not pulp-fiction adventurers.
Some thoughts:
De Houtman shrugged. “They won’t inflict their heathen rites on us.” Of all the astonishing things in this city of wonders, the greatest was that the victims of this sacrificial blood-letting had all freely volunteered. “I’m not happy to witness those events, but it won’t stop us trading with them.”.
Do his words mean that he was allowed to see sacrifices to the Lord? If so, then does it mean that the King of Kings wasn't present at sacrifices? Because if both de Houtman and the Emperor were spectators of that spectacle, then they could see each other, even if the Captain-General wasn't allowed to talk with the monarch.
“What if we are threatened?” dee Ootman asked. “There are other nations whose ships may try to attack our trading posts.”
Very real possibility, in fact. He said these words in ATL July, 1620, while in OTL 1621 the Netherlands found themselves in war with Iberian kingdoms; consequently, Portuguese attack on the VOC's bases in Tiayal would be very probable, as retaliation for Dutch attacks on Portuguese trade network in the Indian ocean (of course, Batavia is much more important target, but it was fortified city, while Dutch outposts in Tiayal would be tiny unfortified settlements, at least in the first years).
Imagine Atjuntja soldiers, Dutch sailors and Portuguese marines in battles over Archers' Nest... Bloody fun, it could be.
[2] Amsterdam, the largest city in the Netherlands at this time, had around 50,000 people. Rotterdam was smaller. The White City at its fullest holds around 200,000 people, and this expedition is visiting at a time when workers are not needed in the fields, so most of the drafted labourers are in residence. There were certainly larger cities at this point (Beijing is thought to have been the largest city in the world), but none which Stins has visited.
Paris and London at the time had more than 200, 000 inhabitants. However, White City is much more spread out and magnificent to the extreme, so yes, it should seem significantly larger than any European city, even if Stins had visited London before his voyage to the Orient.

The thoughts and behaviors of Lerunna and the Ajuntja are quite interesting contrasted with de Houtman's actions and thoughts. I especially like how the Atjuntja think that the Dutch are totally under their thumb, while the Dutch are already plotting to break their prohibitions. It's also amusing to see Lerunna totally misinterpreting the presence of many different hair colors on Europeans. I suppose it's the meeting between a hegemonic and non-hegemonic power doing this, here. I wonder if the Romans and the Dutch of 1600 years later met, whether something similar would happen.

Also, kunduri is the super-tobacco the *Australians have, right? I can't quite recall correctly...

Hendryk

Banned
I was surprised to see the Nangu captain choose not to make contact, but perhaps his caution was wise, and may have spared his home island from the first onslaught of Eurasian diseases in Aururia.

Good update Jared!

Merci.

I get an ominous feeling that, having read about transfer of disease, de Houtman might now have many more new tomorrows.

Well, maybe. On the one hand, he has already survived blue-sleep - that hit his expedition further north.

On the other hand, Marnitja is a nasty piece of work, and he may well be exposed to it. Fortunately for de Houtman and his crew, though, there wasn't a Marnitja epidemic going through the Middle Country at the time they visited. Unless, of course, they come into close contact with an asymptomatic carrier, which is always a possibility.

Let the hellblood flow. This will be fun.:D

Later historians will speak of the Houtmanian Exchange...

Excellent, Jared, simply excellent. You've pictured real men, cautious traders and haughty nobles, and not pulp-fiction adventurers.

Thanks.

Some thoughts:
Do his words mean that he was allowed to see sacrifices to the Lord? If so, then does it mean that the King of Kings wasn't present at sacrifices? Because if both de Houtman and the Emperor were spectators of that spectacle, then they could see each other, even if the Captain-General wasn't allowed to talk with the monarch.

De Houtman and his crew saw some of the everyday sacrifices to the Lord - sacrificing "to the pain", as it is usually called. These are regular events - frequent enough that the Dutch visitors could see them, but nothing for the Emperor to bother attending.

More broadly, though, there are occasions when de Houtman might have glimpsed the Emperor from a distance - on one of the festivals when the Emperor stands in public view. But he would never be permitted to negotiate with him, which is what de Houtman really wanted.

Very real possibility, in fact. He said these words in ATL July, 1620, while in OTL 1621 the Netherlands found themselves in war with Iberian kingdoms; consequently, Portuguese attack on the VOC's bases in Tiayal would be very probable, as retaliation for Dutch attacks on Portuguese trade network in the Indian ocean (of course, Batavia is much more important target, but it was fortified city, while Dutch outposts in Tiayal would be tiny unfortified settlements, at least in the first years).
Imagine Atjuntja soldiers, Dutch sailors and Portuguese marines in battles over Archers' Nest... Bloody fun, it could be.

Why yes, something like this very thing may happen. Not just the Portuguese, of course; the English may be tempted, in the right circumstances. Especially if the Amboyna Massacre or an analogue occurs.

Paris and London at the time had more than 200, 000 inhabitants. However, White City is much more spread out and magnificent to the extreme, so yes, it should seem significantly larger than any European city, even if Stins had visited London before his voyage to the Orient.

Ah, yes, Paris and London were bigger than that. For some reason, I'd thought that they took longer to recover from the effects of the plague, especially the repeated outbreaks in London.

Still, though, as you point out, the White City is going to seem so much larger, because of the labour which has been used to build it that way.

The thoughts and behaviors of Lerunna and the Ajuntja are quite interesting contrasted with de Houtman's actions and thoughts. I especially like how the Atjuntja think that the Dutch are totally under their thumb, while the Dutch are already plotting to break their prohibitions. It's also amusing to see Lerunna totally misinterpreting the presence of many different hair colors on Europeans. I suppose it's the meeting between a hegemonic and non-hegemonic power doing this, here. I wonder if the Romans and the Dutch of 1600 years later met, whether something similar would happen.

That's the kind of analogy I had in mind. This is not something like Spanish conquistadors visiting the New World powers. This is as if a European power comes into contact with a nation with a Roman (or maybe post-Alexandrian Greek) level of political sophistication, but with inferior technology. Things are going to play out in a variety of ways, but the Atjuntja, Yadji etc will be a much more difficult proposition than the Spanish found the New World powers.

Also, kunduri is the super-tobacco the *Australians have, right? I can't quite recall correctly...

That's right. Called a variety of names (most commonly pituri) in OTL; given an ATL name here since butterflies would certainly change it.

I was surprised to see the Nangu captain choose not to make contact, but perhaps his caution was wise, and may have spared his home island from the first onslaught of Eurasian diseases in Aururia.

I wondered about the Nangu contacting the Dutch directly, but in the end decided that it was unlikely. The Dutch are being too cautious; they don't want to offend the Atjuntja at this point and screw up the important trade negotiations. The Nangu are also careful not to interfere with their primary western market.

That won't stop either side from trying to contact the other without the Atjuntja knowing, of course. Just not immediately.

Just how exactly are people tortured in the Atjuntja rites?

In a great variety of ways, depending on the preferences and inventiveness of the Appeaser conducting the rites. The Atjuntja are masters of the art of inflicting non-fatal pain to satisfy the Lord. The only general rule is that it should not inflict any major permanent damage on the person being sacrificed. Occasional bloodshed or some scarring is permitted, blinding or severing of appendages is not.

So, things like beatings, application of hot rods, mixed hot and cold, racks, lots of small cuts, suffocation (not to a fatal level), waterboarding, and a variety of specialised machines.

All this is for sacrifices to the pain, of course. Sacrifices to the death involve all of the above, plus more permanent forms of damage. The longer it can be made to last while the person still lives, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.