Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

Metal Gear and Castlevania both ought to sound awesome with the PAMELA sound chip.

If so, it'll have to be via some expansion peripheral; PAMELA wouldn't be integrated until Atari started shipping its Kosumi console in 1989. You may recall that TTL's Atari Nintendo is mostly OTL's off-the-shelf NES with a few internal changes, such as the ASC65C02 CPU instead of OTL's Ricoh knockoff, and the smaller cartridge footprint of OTL's Famicom cartridges. (OTL's "gamepaks" were designed to differentiate the NES from the failed videogame systems of the Videogame Crash of 1983; since that never happens ITTL, there's no reason for the redesign.)

If so, it'll have to be via some expansion peripheral; PAMELA wouldn't be integrated until Atari started shipping its Kosumi console in 1989. You may recall that TTL's Atari Nintendo is mostly OTL's off-the-shelf NES with a few internal changes, such as the ASC65C02 CPU instead of OTL's Ricoh knockoff, and the smaller cartridge footprint of OTL's Famicom cartridges. (OTL's "gamepaks" were designed to differentiate the NES from the failed videogame systems of the Videogame Crash of 1983; since that never happens ITTL, there's no reason for the redesign.)

Uh correct me if am wrong here but weren't both Metal Gear and Castlevania started off on the MSX2 and ported to the Famicom/NES soon after? Even if that was'int the case I don't see any reason why ether game would'int be ported to the Bizcom/PC-2 TTL. That said an expansion peripheral for the Atari Nintendo does'int sound so bad provided it's relatively affordable.

Uh correct me if am wrong here but weren't both Metal Gear and Castlevania started off on the MSX2 and ported to the Famicom/NES soon after? Even if that was'int the case I don't see any reason why ether game would'int be ported to the Bizcom/PC-2 TTL. That said an expansion peripheral for the Atari Nintendo does'int sound so bad provided it's relatively affordable.

Oh, the Bizcom version of both will indeed kick ass!

September 13, 1986

Dave Orlovsky, the only Congressional staffer in history to wear knee-length bicycle shorts and neon-colored muscle shirts, is standing next to his boss, Congressman Don Henley, who’s busy sweating through his black suit in the early morning North Texas sun. It’s 7 a.m., and the two of them are surveying the landscape in front of them, a long, flat field upon which a ramshackle stage and portable risers capable of seating thousands have been hastily erected.

Civic-Center-Pic-1024x595.jpg

The space is being dedicated for the construction of the Donald H. Henley Civic Center [1], a state-of-the-art indoor venue in Gilmer, Texas designed to host fine arts programs, banquets, seminars, concerts, stage plays, conventions, weddings, receptions, indoor sports events, and trade show exhibits and meetings. Don had encouraged the city to fund construction of the center, arguing that it would help his hometown grow as a tourist and business destination; construction would begin in three weeks. [2]

Of course, even if the center had been built, the event Orlovsky had planned for later that evening woudn’t have fit within the Civic Center’s maximum seating capacity of 1,100; based on early reservations, the campaign was expecting six or seven thousand attendees for what was being billed as the largest outdoor concert in Upshur County history. And, of course, it would feature one of the hottest pop stars of the day: Don Henley’s old band-mate, Glenn Frey.

The concert wouldn’t start for another six hours, and, as the bleachers began to fill with eager guests, Dave started to suspect that they’d possibly underestimated the number of attendees. Optics were important; if the campaign had erected too many bleachers and seats were empty, photographs would make a 3,000-person event seem like an underpopulated failure. Dave sent campaign staffers out to roam the stands, armed with paperwork to register new voters and sign up new volunteers. Over the next hour, the volunteers had been scurrying back to Dave with bright-eyed optimism and armsful of paperwork. Their enthusiasm was infectious.

Dave looked over at his boss and chuckled. “Don’t buy into their enthusiasm too much, Congressman,” he warned Henley. “We’ll follow up with everyone who agrees to volunteer, but I doubt we convert even 1% of these forms into actual donors or volunteers.” [3]

Don Henley smiled back at his Chief of Staff, choosing to ignore Orlovsky’s allusion to the disagreement the two of them had during the event’s planning. Dave wanted to use the concert as a fundraiser as well, to help close the gap between the Henley campaign’s rather lackluster numbers and the robust sums being raised by Hargett. Henley, Dave argued, was falling behind in terms of radio and TV advertisements, and needed to raise more money to get back on the air. “Besides,” Dave argued, “people are used to paying for concerts.”

Henley was strongly opposed. “I’m not going to have bagmen out there with sacks of money, Dave.” Although collecting money from attendees wouldn’t violate any campaign finance rules, Henley knew that there was no way his volunteers would be able to accurately record all of the donations for reporting requirements. The campaign would be left with perhaps a hundred thousand dollars of untraceable, quasi-legal cash. Dave, as usual, had made the pragmatic argument: literally everybody was doing it, there was no way anyone would get caught, and there would be no punishment even if they were. [4]

Don had nixed the idea anyway. “Even if I wanted to skirt the rules, Dave – which I don’t! – the FEC is already watching us like a hawk.” [5] “Which would do us more harm: passing up $100,000, or having the Wall Street Journal publish an article claiming our campaign is being investigated for campaign fraud?” Dave wasn’t actually sure; the Journal didn’t exactly have a wide circulation in Upshur County or most of Northeast Texas. But he knew when to fold ‘em, and he curtly nodded and got on board. “Yes, Congressman.” His acquiescence didn’t necessarily mean agreement, though.

Henley donned the wide-brimmed Stetson hat that Dave passed to him; a couple of attendees had let their glance linger a bit too long in their direction, and Henley wasn’t (yet) ready to go press the flesh with thousands of eager concert-goers. “Lose the jacket and tie, too, Congressman,” Dave urged. After arching an eyebrow, Henley took off his narrow, bright-blue tie, folded it into his inside jacket pocket, and handed the sportscoat to a staffer who scurried away with it. Don wasn’t sure he looked professional, but the anonymity – and the slight relief from the heat! – was worth it. [6]

As it turns out, they’d underestimated the number of attendees by an order of magnitude. Tens of thosuands of people turned out; the Tyler Morning Telegraph would estimate that as many as 50,000 people showed up for the event, and that didn’t include the thousands of people who remained stuck in traffic in the miles-long backup on the two-lane highway that was the primary means of getting to Gilmer. Some wit in the Associated Press pool had juxtaposed photographs of the event with some rather colorful quotes Henley had issued in 1980; as a result, the national coverage – including a segment on CNN’s political debate program, Crossfire, called the event the “Hell Freezes Over” concert. [7] Of course, nobody in the media knew Don had made The Call and mended fences with Frey more than a year previously; still, the experience was humbling for Henley. [8]

The concert itself was a roaring success, with Frey giving the audience the first live performance of his new song, “Don’t Look Back,” which was also the theme song from his just-aired TV show, South of Sunset. [9] In lieu of an encore, Frey dismissed his bandmates and offered a moving, nearly impromptu endorsement from the stage. “Don Henley didn’t need this job,” Frey argued. “But Washington needed Don Henley. We needed Don Henley. I think we still do.” The crowd erupted into thunderous applause, and Orlovsky smiled inwardly. Of course, the endorsement wasn’t entirely unscripted; no one in politics would just let a rock star wing it at a campaign event. “Don, get up here,” Glenn added, following the script Dave had laid out. Henley – still wearing his cowboy hat – climbed up on to the stage, embraced Glenn, and waved to the crowd. Flashbulbs went off; the photo op had gotten its moment. Dave turned and got ready to return to campaign headquarters.

“There’s one more thing I’d like to talk to you about,” Frey added. Orlovsky turned and looked at the stage in sudden alarm. “Shit,” he murmured under his breath. Things were about to go off the rails, and there was nothing he could do. Dave looked around, wondering if he could sprint to the audio table and unplug Frey’s microphone. The standing-room-only crowd blocked his way. Dave inhaled sharply; if he weren’t an atheist, he’d have prayed for divine intervention.

“After a reception like that, I’m not going to leave without giving you an encore.”

“Oh shit,” Dave gasped, audibly. “No. No. Please, no.” All of his hard work was about to be for naught; he could almost taste the impending disaster. Dave started muscling his way through the crowd, unsure of what he would do when he actually got to the stage, but driven by sheer desperation.

Back on the stage, Frey kept going, oblivious to Orlovsky's panic, with a somewhat-bewildered looking Don Henley at his side. “I know you’ve heard people whispering, sometimes shouting, that the song Don and I wrote, ‘Hotel California,’ that it’s a Satanic song.” Boos from the audience. “I think I can show you that’s not the case. Now, I won’t ask Don to pick up a microphone; he’s got to save his voice to fight for you in Congress.” Frey smiled at Henley. “But I would ask my friend, Don, do you mind if I give it a shot?” Henley nodded, and Frey walked over and produced a twelve-string acoustic guitar. [10] After sliding over one of the amplifiers, Frey sat down, unbuckled the guitar case, took out the guitar and began strumming the opening notes to “Hotel California.” Henley, left somewhat in the lurch, picked up the guitar case, sat on the closest amp, and used it as an impromptu drum; Don’s legendary vocals might not have been concert-ready, but he could still drum “Hotel California” in his sleep. [11]

As it turns out, Orlovsky needn’t have worried. From a technical standpoint, Frey was ill-suited to sing “Hotel California;” his country-roots vocals lacked Don’s range, and, in Dave’s view, the song didn’t translate well to acoustic. [12] None of that mattered, of course: the point was made. Nobody in that audience -- and nobody who followed the reports, or watched clips on the news that went nationwide -- could possibly think they were looking at a Satanic ritual, when in fact they were watching a middle-aged TV star and a middle-aged Congressman gently reprise their greatest hit. "Satanic Panic" would rage on elsewhere, but it was as dead as disco in Northeast Texas.

After the concert, Orlovsky commissioned another poll of Texas’s First Congressional District to poll Henley’s constituents on various questions related to Satanic messages in “Hotel California;” the cross-tabs of that poll showed that no more than 6% of Democrats, 11% of Independents, and 23% of Republicans “agreed” or “strongly agreed” with any negative poll question related to the song or to Satanic back-masking. That poll predicted a fifteen-point victory for Henley. [13]

That poll, of course, was dead wrong.

On November 4, 1986, Don Henley would win re-election to the House of Representatives by a staggering thirty-six point margin, defeating Edd Hargett, 68% to 32%. [14] Henley quintupled his vote total from the previous year, and cemented his status as one of the rising stars in the Democratic Party. [15]

----------
APPENDIX: U.S. Senate electoral results, 1986 [16]
Incumbents are designated in bold.

Alabama: Richard Shelby (D) def. Jeremiah Denton (R), 51% - 49%

Alaska: Frank Murkowski (R) def. Glenn Olds (D), 54% - 44%

Arizona: Barry Goldwater (R) def. James F. McNulty, Jr. (D), 57% - 42% [17]

Arkansas: Dale Bumpers (D) def. Asa Hutchinson (R), 63% - 37%

California: Alan Cranston (D) def. Bruce Herschensohn (R), 55% - 42% [18]

Colorado: Tim Wirth (D) def. Ken Kramer (R), 50% - 48% [19]

Connecticut: Chris Dodd (D) def. Roger W. Eddy (R), 65% - 35%

Florida: Bob Graham (D) def. Paula Hawkins (R), 55% - 45%

Georgia: Wyche Fowler (D) def. Mack Mattingly (R), 51% - 49%

Hawaii: Daniel Inouye (D) def. Frank Hutchinson (R), 74% - 26%

Idaho: John Evans (D) def. Steve Symms (R), 50.6% - 49.3% [20]

Illinois: Alan J. Dixon (D) def. Judy Koehler (R), 65% - 34%

Indiana: Dan Quayle (R) def. Jill L. Long (D), 61% - 39%

Iowa: Chuck Grassley (R) def. John P. Roehrick (D), 66% - 34%

Kansas: Bob Dole (R) def. Guy MacDonald (D), 70% - 30%

Kentucky: Wendell H. Ford (D) def. Jackson M. Andrews (R), 74% - 26% [21]

Louisiana: John Breaux (D) def. Henson Moore (R), 53% - 47% [22]

Maryland: Charles “Mac” Mathias (R) def. Michael Barnes (D), 59% - 41% [23]

Missouri: Kit Bond (R) def. Harriett Woods (D), 52% - 48%

Nevada: Harry Reid (D) def. James Santini (R), 50% - 44%

New Hampshire: Warren Rudman (R) def. Endicott Peabody (D), 62% - 32%

New York: Al D’Amato (R) def. Mark Green (D), 57% - 40%

North Carolina: Terry Sanford (D) def. John P. East (R), 54% - 46% [24]

North Dakota: Kent Conrad (D) def. Mark Andrews (R), 50% - 49%

Ohio: John Glenn (D) def. Tom Kindness (R), 62% - 38%

Oregon: Bob Packwood (R) def. Rick Bauman (D), 63% - 36%

Pennsylvania: Arlen Specter (R) def. Robert W. Edgar (D), 57% - 43%

South Carolina: Ernest “Fritz” Hollings (D) def. Henry McMaster (R), 64% - 36%

South Dakota: Tom Daschle (D) def. Bill Janklow (R), 54% - 46% [25]

Utah: Jake Garn (R) def. Craig Oliver (D), 72% - 27%

Vermont: Patrick Leahy (D) def. Richard Snelling (R), 64% - 35%

Washington: Brock Adams (D) def. Slate Gorton (R), 51% - 49%

Wisconsin: Ed Garvey (D) def. Bob Kasten (R), 51% - 49% [26]

After the election, Democrats gained nine Senate seats and controlled the Senate, 58-42. Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) was elected majority leader; Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS) was elected minority leader. [27]

----------
NOTES:

[1] IOTL, this is simply the “Gilmer Civic Center,” and it is indeed one of the nicest civic centers in Northeast Texas.

[2] OTL’s Gilmer Civic Center wasn’t built until 1997; here, with a famous resident in Congress and a small line-item in the 1986 budget, it gets built a decade earlier.

[3] Dave’s data-driven operation continues to put him ahead of the curve as compared to most campaigns being waged in 1986, but the notion of understanding the ratio of converting interest to action was well-known even in OTL’s 1980s.

[4] All true.

[5] See, for example, this warning from post #1216.

[6] Today, of course, we expect our political candidates to dress casually; in 1986, it was virtually unheard-of.

[7] Tracking, of course, OTL’s 1994 album of the same name. As OTL, “Crossfire” began airing on CNN in 1982.

[8] Teased way back in post #554, in which Henley also fatefully re-introduced Glenn to Danny Kortchmar.

[9] South of Sunset was announced back in post #1071; “Don’t Look Back” is TTL’s Glenn Frey-Danny Kortchmar collaboration and is as much as can be salvaged from OTL’s “Boys of Summer.” See note 8.

[10] Don Felder memorably used a 12-string electric guitar in the original “Hotel California.”

[11] I’ve stolen the optics here from the “History of the Eagles” concert, down to Henley playing the “drums” on Glenn’s guitar case. (I think they were playing “Peaceful Easy Feeling.”) It was moving for me then, and I think it would be moving for anyone in the Dirty Laundryverse who got a chance to see it, too.

[12] Dave Orlovsky will, of course, never get to hear OTL’s acoustic version of “Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over album, or, for example, this pretty damn good concert version. Their loss, but on balance, the Dirty Laundryverse residents are way ahead of us in terms of good music. :)

[13] In post #1124, we learned that 30% of Democrats and 70% of independents in Don’s district were concerned about potential Satanic messages in “Hotel California,” showcasing a very vulnerable incumbent.

[14] On face, this seems like an enormous margin, but IOTL, Jim Chapman (D-TX-1) ran unopposed, garnering 84,445 votes. Remember that this is 1986, and Henley’s district has nearly twice as many Democrats (55%) as registered Republicans (34%).

[15] In his first special election to Congress, Henley garnered just 20,340 votes amidst poor turnout, winning by 2.5 percentage points (or less than 1,000 actual voters). Here, he wins 100,189 (68%) to 47,148 (32%), with above-average turnout for a congressional race in that year.

[16] I can't do a breakdown of all 435 Congressional races, but I can at least tell you how the Senate shapes up. Individual results are not significantly changed from OTL unless noted otherwise.

[17] Goldwater seeks another term due to what he perceives as the increased influence of the Christian right particularly in light of the ongoing “Satanic Panic” crisis. As a result, up-and-coming Democratic candidate Richard Kimball stays in the Arizona legislature instead of running for the Senate. John McCain -- who won this seat IOTL -- runs for Governor instead, defeating Evan Meacham in the primaries before narrowly defeating Arizona Secretary of State Rose Mofford (D), 52% - 48%. (IOTL, Meacham won 40% against a Democratic challenger, Carolyn Warner and a second Democrat, Bill Schultz, who ran as an independent. Meacham would be impeached for a variety of financial crimes in 1988.)

[18] IOTL, moderate Republican Ed Zschau won the nomination over the more conservative Herschensohn, and came within a few percentage points of defeating Cranston in the general election. Herschensohn would run for the same Senate seat again in 1992, winning the Republican nomination but losing the general election to Barbara Boxer.

[19] This is, of course, the seat vacated by incumbent Gary Hart (D), who declined to seek re-election to prepare for the 1988 Presidential election.

[20] This is a reverse of OTL’s results, in which the incumbent Symms defeated then-outgoing Gov. Evans 51.6% to 48.4%. Symms is a doctrinaire religious Right conservative; Evans is Mormon. Mormons are a significant percentage of the electorate in Idaho, and, ITTL, have mostly sat out the "Satanic Panic" fight to date. As a result, Symms is hurt fractionally by the backlash and loses a race he narrowly won IOTL.

[21] Ford won 74% of the vote and a majority in all 120 Kentucky counties; a record that stands to this day IOTL and ITTL.

[22] This is the seat vacated by retiring Sen. Russell B. Long (D), and although the events leading to Breaux’s victory are rather bizarre, I’m convinced they’re butterfly-proof. Long himself wanted sitting Gov. Edwin Edwards (D) as his hand-picked successor; Edwards was currently under indictment for fraud and would be acquitted in 1986.

[23] IOTL, Mathias – by that time one of the most liberal Republicans in the Senate – agonized over whether to seek re-election, ultimately dropping out in late ’85. The seat would be won by then-Congresswoman Barbara Mikulski (D), who still holds it to this day. ITTL, Mathias runs and wins easily over Barnes, a much less well-known Congressman who attempted (and failed) to make the ’86 campaign about Mathias’ “inability to stand up to Ronald Reagan.”

[24] East, who remains in office ITTL rather than committing suicide, loses to popular Gov. Terry Sanford (D) in a strongly Democratic year. IOTL, Sanford defeated interim Sen. Jim Broyhill (R) 52% - 48%.

[25] IOTL, incumbent Sen. James Abdnor (R) managed to stave off a primary challenge from Janklow, but lost in the general election to Daschle. Here, Abdnor is unseated by Janklow in the primary; either way, Daschle wins in the general election.

[26] This reverses OTL’s outcome, in which Kasten narrowly defeated Garvey, 51-48.

[27] In the Dirty Laundryverse, the Democrats net one additional seat beyond their gains IOTL in the 1986 mid-term elections. It breaks down like this: Evans (D) defeated Symms (R) in Idaho, and Garvey (D) defeated Kasten (R) in Wisconsin, but Mathias (R) held on to his Maryland Senate seat instead of retiring and paving the way for OTL's Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D).

Last edited:
Good update, Andrew T.

Evan Meacham's gone (as is Symms); good riddance. The Martin Luther King holiday gets approved earlier by Arizona, and they get the Super Bowl earlier here. Hope this butterflies away the election of a certain "America's Sheriff"...

On a side note, I liked the concert here by Henley.

Hope the next update is about the 1986-1987 TV season...

Man, I always love the Henley updates. An interesting insight into the political landscape of the Dirty Laundryverse.

For the Senate, there are some things I like to hear.
  • Symms being defeated looks positive on my end. His interview in C-SPAN clips really oozed a dick to me. Doubt Evans lasts beyond 1992, but it leaves an interesting landscape for Dems
  • As a Louisianan, I did look up about The Kingfish's Son wanting to run for Gov as far back as 85. Honestly, I find that an interesting concept as it actually achieves what Vitter failed to achieve just this last year. Though, according to your statement, Edwards looks like he'll slick on through (although I like some of his policies), but there is the 87 gubernatorial race where, apart from Edwards and Roemer, there was Bob Livingston running
  • Interesting choice in keeping Mathias. If his issue is on standing up, I wonder if that's a sly reference to a potential Iran-Contra slug out
  • Daschle defeating Janklow may actually play different later on, in my belief; losing in the general rather than the primary seems to be a bit more damaging
  • I see that Kasten is defeated earlier, which makes me wonder if Feingold will pop up somewhere else
As for Henley, one helluva comeback. I think he may be rising up the ladder for his political future. Again, I am finding myself wondering about Iran-Contra.

As for television, some ideas came to me. In 1987, Match Game was considered for revival on a stand alone basis with Gene Rayburn hosting. However, once Entertainment Tonight announced his age of 70 as well as his production fights on another game show, Break the Bank, he was dropped. The revival was, according to an ad, to be produced by Coca Cola Productions. I wonder if, given the utter failure of Coke in the DLverse that Rayburn's fate changes. Also, Pat Sajak will leave Wheel in about three years here for CBS late night. I wonder if there will be a different host for daytime Wheel. According to production statements, Tim Brando was Merv's popular choice before Rolf Benirschke took the duties.

Of course, I was born in the 90s, so I doubt I survive in the same way here. But, nevertheless, a good timeline that I am following.

I rather like the acoustic version of "Hotel California". It was the first version I was familiar with.

So, how is Hayao Miyazaki doing? Does Nausicaa still get butchered on its first US release?

I hope Heather O'Rourke the Poltergeist girl, survives here. a simple operation before it was too late could have saved her but she was misdiagnosed.

Oh, the Bizcom version of both will indeed kick ass!

Actually, this has got me thinking again about the British computer industry ITTL at this point of time. As I've alluded to before, consoles didn't take off in Britain (or for that matter, Europe in general) until the Mega Drive/SNES and even then, the home computer market was stronger until the PlayStation. I think the cost of the Atari PC-2, at the moment, is still too much for it to take off massively in the UK market (yet!), but AFAIK, the UK and Germany represented the strongest markets for the Amiga IOTL and a disproportionately large number of the best games on both the Commodore 64 and the Amiga were created by British or German developers.

With Atari creating a situation where the technically best versions of the video games on their platforms are on home computers, this has some very interesting implications for the UK gaming industry as the timeline progresses.

Actually, this has got me thinking again about the British computer industry ITTL at this point of time. As I've alluded to before, consoles didn't take off in Britain (or for that matter, Europe in general) until the Mega Drive/SNES and even then, the home computer market was stronger until the PlayStation. I think the cost of the Atari PC-2, at the moment, is still too much for it to take off massively in the UK market (yet!), but AFAIK, the UK and Germany represented the strongest markets for the Amiga IOTL and a disproportionately large number of the best games on both the Commodore 64 and the Amiga were created by British or German developers.

With Atari creating a situation where the technically best versions of the video games on their platforms are on home computers, this has some very interesting implications for the UK gaming industry as the timeline progresses.

Remember that German megaconglomerate BASF now owns Commodore in the Dirty Laundryverse, so the C-64 (or the 64GS equivalent) might become the gaming platform of continental Europe. No, the games aren't as good, but it's hard to beat the price....

Remember that German megaconglomerate BASF now owns Commodore in the Dirty Laundryverse, so the C-64 (or the 64GS equivalent) might become the gaming platform of continental Europe. No, the games aren't as good, but it's hard to beat the price....

I had been considering that and given how much the British/German programmers got out of it and its direct competition IOTL, that does seem like a very reasonable and likely assumption. It could well become the European counterpart of the NES/Master System generation. The other 8-bit micros do still represent compelling porting options as well, though.

But as well as that, the Tandy ST may, in the short term, represent the more compelling option for people looking for an upgrade to the next generation - it might be less powerful clock-for-clock, it might have worse graphics, it might have considerably worse sound, but it's cheaper, doesn't have the price-boosting hard drive of all Atari models (most people with microcomputers in Europe aren't even using floppy disks - they're using cassettes!) and has a surprisingly sophisticated OS (I didn't realise until recently how sophisticated OS-9 actually was!). Atari's strategy, self-admittedly, is undercutting IBM and the PC-2 does a fine job of that with a technically superior system. It'll likely make a big splash later in Europe when the price comes down and the battle between it and the Tandy ST could go down in Britain as that generation's C64 vs Speccy battle. But Acorn lies waiting in the shadows as well...

Hmm...

What's happening at the movies around now?

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Big Trouble in Little China should be in theaters by now, along with Aliens, and Legend (Tom Cruise, not Tom Hardy), Harry and the Hendersons, Robocop, and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace should be wrapping on principal photography and headed into the effects studio by now, if not quite the editing room for test audiences and the raters.

Have the butterflies touched those movies yet? If so, they could cause ripples as far as Willow, Mortal Kombat, Independence Day, Babylon 5, and Batman '89. Has the Execution of the Night Stalker started producing its butterflies yet?

Speaking of films, although it has the plot of Part III, does Back to the Future Part II come out in 1989 ITTL or does it come out sooner?