Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

I love that people are still interested in Dirty Laundry. Me too! (I think about this timeline all the time.)

Right now, I’ve been spending most of my spare time on the Opening Arguments podcast. But rest assured that... Dirty Laundry will never die. :)

So glad to hear about this.

I love that people are still interested in Dirty Laundry. Me too! (I think about this timeline all the time.)

Right now, I’ve been spending most of my spare time on the Opening Arguments podcast. But rest assured that... Dirty Laundry will never die. :)
Well I certainly didn't expect to see this, but of course I couldn't be more delighted to see you back, carrying the torch for popular culture TLs and no doubt priming more obscure TV shows, artists and albums from the maelstrom of '80s obscurity for our enjoyment!

What is a hiatus, am I right? Fawlty Towers took four years to produce a second season, so you're in very good company indeed :)

What is a hiatus, am I right? Fawlty Towers took four years to produce a second season, so you're in very good company indeed :)

A few years back was when it was all the thing on USA network television to revive old shows- not redo, just restart after decades of being gone.

At the same time they were ending a bunch of sitcoms I liked, including Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing."

I joked that they shouldn't wait and revive these sitcoms right away.

My joke turned real when only a year later FOX revived Tim's show. :biggrin:XD:happyblush

To celebrate Andrew T's visit, this most Dirty Laundry style thing:

New Coke Didn’t Fail. It Was Murdered.
By Tim Murphy / Mother Jones
Far from the dud it’s been made out to be, New Coke was actually delicious—or at least, most people who tried it thought so. Some of its harshest critics couldn’t even taste a difference. It was done in by a complicated web of interests, a mixture of cranks and opportunists—a sugar-starved mob of pitchfork-clutching Andy Rooneys, powered by the thrill of rebellion and an aggrieved sense of dispossession. At its most fundamental level, the backlash wasn’t about New Coke at all. It was a revolt against the idea of change.

Edit: as @Kalvan says below and I totally believe, it was gross. I think corn syrup Coke is bad (yay Mexico), let alone Pepsi so yeah New Coke not up my alley. I just thought this over the top hot take totally fits into the Laundryverse. OK Soda!

Last edited:

I'm actually laughing right now, because I was on hiatus myself and missed this message! Oh well... x'D

Regardless, it's amazing to finally hear back from the author of my favorite timeline on this site. Fingers crossed for an update in the near future!

THREE and a HALF YEARS since the last update.

But us fans will keep this thread alive. I mean we had to wait almost 25 years for a Twin Peaks sequel. We'll wait here too, I just hope not that long.

September 13, 1986

Dave Orlovsky, the only Congressional staffer in history to wear knee-length bicycle shorts and neon-colored muscle shirts, is standing next to his boss, Congressman Don Henley, who’s busy sweating through his black suit in the early morning North Texas sun. It’s 7 a.m., and the two of them are surveying the landscape in front of them, a long, flat field upon which a ramshackle stage and portable risers capable of seating thousands have been hastily erected.

Civic-Center-Pic-1024x595.jpg

The space is being dedicated for the construction of the Donald H. Henley Civic Center [1], a state-of-the-art indoor venue in Gilmer, Texas designed to host fine arts programs, banquets, seminars, concerts, stage plays, conventions, weddings, receptions, indoor sports events, and trade show exhibits and meetings. Don had encouraged the city to fund construction of the center, arguing that it would help his hometown grow as a tourist and business destination; construction would begin in three weeks. [2]

Of course, even if the center had been built, the event Orlovsky had planned for later that evening woudn’t have fit within the Civic Center’s maximum seating capacity of 1,100; based on early reservations, the campaign was expecting six or seven thousand attendees for what was being billed as the largest outdoor concert in Upshur County history. And, of course, it would feature one of the hottest pop stars of the day: Don Henley’s old band-mate, Glenn Frey.

The concert wouldn’t start for another six hours, and, as the bleachers began to fill with eager guests, Dave started to suspect that they’d possibly underestimated the number of attendees. Optics were important; if the campaign had erected too many bleachers and seats were empty, photographs would make a 3,000-person event seem like an underpopulated failure. Dave sent campaign staffers out to roam the stands, armed with paperwork to register new voters and sign up new volunteers. Over the next hour, the volunteers had been scurrying back to Dave with bright-eyed optimism and armsful of paperwork. Their enthusiasm was infectious.

Dave looked over at his boss and chuckled. “Don’t buy into their enthusiasm too much, Congressman,” he warned Henley. “We’ll follow up with everyone who agrees to volunteer, but I doubt we convert even 1% of these forms into actual donors or volunteers.” [3]

Don Henley smiled back at his Chief of Staff, choosing to ignore Orlovsky’s allusion to the disagreement the two of them had during the event’s planning. Dave wanted to use the concert as a fundraiser as well, to help close the gap between the Henley campaign’s rather lackluster numbers and the robust sums being raised by Hargett. Henley, Dave argued, was falling behind in terms of radio and TV advertisements, and needed to raise more money to get back on the air. “Besides,” Dave argued, “people are used to paying for concerts.”

Henley was strongly opposed. “I’m not going to have bagmen out there with sacks of money, Dave.” Although collecting money from attendees wouldn’t violate any campaign finance rules, Henley knew that there was no way his volunteers would be able to accurately record all of the donations for reporting requirements. The campaign would be left with perhaps a hundred thousand dollars of untraceable, quasi-legal cash. Dave, as usual, had made the pragmatic argument: literally everybody was doing it, there was no way anyone would get caught, and there would be no punishment even if they were. [4]

Don had nixed the idea anyway. “Even if I wanted to skirt the rules, Dave – which I don’t! – the FEC is already watching us like a hawk.” [5] “Which would do us more harm: passing up $100,000, or having the Wall Street Journal publish an article claiming our campaign is being investigated for campaign fraud?” Dave wasn’t actually sure; the Journal didn’t exactly have a wide circulation in Upshur County or most of Northeast Texas. But he knew when to fold ‘em, and he curtly nodded and got on board. “Yes, Congressman.” His acquiescence didn’t necessarily mean agreement, though.

Henley donned the wide-brimmed Stetson hat that Dave passed to him; a couple of attendees had let their glance linger a bit too long in their direction, and Henley wasn’t (yet) ready to go press the flesh with thousands of eager concert-goers. “Lose the jacket and tie, too, Congressman,” Dave urged. After arching an eyebrow, Henley took off his narrow, bright-blue tie, folded it into his inside jacket pocket, and handed the sportscoat to a staffer who scurried away with it. Don wasn’t sure he looked professional, but the anonymity – and the slight relief from the heat! – was worth it. [6]

As it turns out, they’d underestimated the number of attendees by an order of magnitude. Tens of thosuands of people turned out; the Tyler Morning Telegraph would estimate that as many as 50,000 people showed up for the event, and that didn’t include the thousands of people who remained stuck in traffic in the miles-long backup on the two-lane highway that was the primary means of getting to Gilmer. Some wit in the Associated Press pool had juxtaposed photographs of the event with some rather colorful quotes Henley had issued in 1980; as a result, the national coverage – including a segment on CNN’s political debate program, Crossfire, called the event the “Hell Freezes Over” concert. [7] Of course, nobody in the media knew Don had made The Call and mended fences with Frey more than a year previously; still, the experience was humbling for Henley. [8]

The concert itself was a roaring success, with Frey giving the audience the first live performance of his new song, “Don’t Look Back,” which was also the theme song from his just-aired TV show, South of Sunset. [9] In lieu of an encore, Frey dismissed his bandmates and offered a moving, nearly impromptu endorsement from the stage. “Don Henley didn’t need this job,” Frey argued. “But Washington needed Don Henley. We needed Don Henley. I think we still do.” The crowd erupted into thunderous applause, and Orlovsky smiled inwardly. Of course, the endorsement wasn’t entirely unscripted; no one in politics would just let a rock star wing it at a campaign event. “Don, get up here,” Glenn added, following the script Dave had laid out. Henley – still wearing his cowboy hat – climbed up on to the stage, embraced Glenn, and waved to the crowd. Flashbulbs went off; the photo op had gotten its moment. Dave turned and got ready to return to campaign headquarters.

“There’s one more thing I’d like to talk to you about,” Frey added. Orlovsky turned and looked at the stage in sudden alarm. “Shit,” he murmured under his breath. Things were about to go off the rails, and there was nothing he could do. Dave looked around, wondering if he could sprint to the audio table and unplug Frey’s microphone. The standing-room-only crowd blocked his way. Dave inhaled sharply; if he weren’t an atheist, he’d have prayed for divine intervention.

“After a reception like that, I’m not going to leave without giving you an encore.”

“Oh shit,” Dave gasped, audibly. “No. No. Please, no.” All of his hard work was about to be for naught; he could almost taste the impending disaster. Dave started muscling his way through the crowd, unsure of what he would do when he actually got to the stage, but driven by sheer desperation.

Back on the stage, Frey kept going, oblivious to Orlovsky's panic, with a somewhat-bewildered looking Don Henley at his side. “I know you’ve heard people whispering, sometimes shouting, that the song Don and I wrote, ‘Hotel California,’ that it’s a Satanic song.” Boos from the audience. “I think I can show you that’s not the case. Now, I won’t ask Don to pick up a microphone; he’s got to save his voice to fight for you in Congress.” Frey smiled at Henley. “But I would ask my friend, Don, do you mind if I give it a shot?” Henley nodded, and Frey walked over and produced a twelve-string acoustic guitar. [10] After sliding over one of the amplifiers, Frey sat down, unbuckled the guitar case, took out the guitar and began strumming the opening notes to “Hotel California.” Henley, left somewhat in the lurch, picked up the guitar case, sat on the closest amp, and used it as an impromptu drum; Don’s legendary vocals might not have been concert-ready, but he could still drum “Hotel California” in his sleep. [11]

As it turns out, Orlovsky needn’t have worried. From a technical standpoint, Frey was ill-suited to sing “Hotel California;” his country-roots vocals lacked Don’s range, and, in Dave’s view, the song didn’t translate well to acoustic. [12] None of that mattered, of course: the point was made. Nobody in that audience -- and nobody who followed the reports, or watched clips on the news that went nationwide -- could possibly think they were looking at a Satanic ritual, when in fact they were watching a middle-aged TV star and a middle-aged Congressman gently reprise their greatest hit. "Satanic Panic" would rage on elsewhere, but it was as dead as disco in Northeast Texas.

After the concert, Orlovsky commissioned another poll of Texas’s First Congressional District to poll Henley’s constituents on various questions related to Satanic messages in “Hotel California;” the cross-tabs of that poll showed that no more than 6% of Democrats, 11% of Independents, and 23% of Republicans “agreed” or “strongly agreed” with any negative poll question related to the song or to Satanic back-masking. That poll predicted a fifteen-point victory for Henley. [13]

That poll, of course, was dead wrong.

On November 4, 1986, Don Henley would win re-election to the House of Representatives by a staggering thirty-six point margin, defeating Edd Hargett, 68% to 32%. [14] Henley quintupled his vote total from the previous year, and cemented his status as one of the rising stars in the Democratic Party. [15]

----------
APPENDIX: U.S. Senate electoral results, 1986 [16]
Incumbents are designated in bold.

Alabama: Richard Shelby (D) def. Jeremiah Denton (R), 51% - 49%

Alaska: Frank Murkowski (R) def. Glenn Olds (D), 54% - 44%

Arizona: Barry Goldwater (R) def. James F. McNulty, Jr. (D), 57% - 42% [17]

Arkansas: Dale Bumpers (D) def. Asa Hutchinson (R), 63% - 37%

California: Alan Cranston (D) def. Bruce Herschensohn (R), 55% - 42% [18]

Colorado: Tim Wirth (D) def. Ken Kramer (R), 50% - 48% [19]

Connecticut: Chris Dodd (D) def. Roger W. Eddy (R), 65% - 35%

Florida: Bob Graham (D) def. Paula Hawkins (R), 55% - 45%

Georgia: Wyche Fowler (D) def. Mack Mattingly (R), 51% - 49%

Hawaii: Daniel Inouye (D) def. Frank Hutchinson (R), 74% - 26%

Idaho: John Evans (D) def. Steve Symms (R), 50.6% - 49.3% [20]

Illinois: Alan J. Dixon (D) def. Judy Koehler (R), 65% - 34%

Indiana: Dan Quayle (R) def. Jill L. Long (D), 61% - 39%

Iowa: Chuck Grassley (R) def. John P. Roehrick (D), 66% - 34%

Kansas: Bob Dole (R) def. Guy MacDonald (D), 70% - 30%

Kentucky: Wendell H. Ford (D) def. Jackson M. Andrews (R), 74% - 26% [21]

Louisiana: John Breaux (D) def. Henson Moore (R), 53% - 47% [22]

Maryland: Charles “Mac” Mathias (R) def. Michael Barnes (D), 59% - 41% [23]

Missouri: Kit Bond (R) def. Harriett Woods (D), 52% - 48%

Nevada: Harry Reid (D) def. James Santini (R), 50% - 44%

New Hampshire: Warren Rudman (R) def. Endicott Peabody (D), 62% - 32%

New York: Al D’Amato (R) def. Mark Green (D), 57% - 40%

North Carolina: Terry Sanford (D) def. John P. East (R), 54% - 46% [24]

North Dakota: Kent Conrad (D) def. Mark Andrews (R), 50% - 49%

Ohio: John Glenn (D) def. Tom Kindness (R), 62% - 38%

Oregon: Bob Packwood (R) def. Rick Bauman (D), 63% - 36%

Pennsylvania: Arlen Specter (R) def. Robert W. Edgar (D), 57% - 43%

South Carolina: Ernest “Fritz” Hollings (D) def. Henry McMaster (R), 64% - 36%

South Dakota: Tom Daschle (D) def. Bill Janklow (R), 54% - 46% [25]

Utah: Jake Garn (R) def. Craig Oliver (D), 72% - 27%

Vermont: Patrick Leahy (D) def. Richard Snelling (R), 64% - 35%

Washington: Brock Adams (D) def. Slate Gorton (R), 51% - 49%

Wisconsin: Ed Garvey (D) def. Bob Kasten (R), 51% - 49% [26]

After the election, Democrats gained nine Senate seats and controlled the Senate, 58-42. Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) was elected majority leader; Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS) was elected minority leader. [27]

----------
NOTES:

[1] IOTL, this is simply the “Gilmer Civic Center,” and it is indeed one of the nicest civic centers in Northeast Texas.

[2] OTL’s Gilmer Civic Center wasn’t built until 1997; here, with a famous resident in Congress and a small line-item in the 1986 budget, it gets built a decade earlier.

[3] Dave’s data-driven operation continues to put him ahead of the curve as compared to most campaigns being waged in 1986, but the notion of understanding the ratio of converting interest to action was well-known even in OTL’s 1980s.

[4] All true.

[5] See, for example, this warning from post #1216.

[6] Today, of course, we expect our political candidates to dress casually; in 1986, it was virtually unheard-of.

[7] Tracking, of course, OTL’s 1994 album of the same name. As OTL, “Crossfire” began airing on CNN in 1982.

[8] Teased way back in post #554, in which Henley also fatefully re-introduced Glenn to Danny Kortchmar.

[9] South of Sunset was announced back in post #1071; “Don’t Look Back” is TTL’s Glenn Frey-Danny Kortchmar collaboration and is as much as can be salvaged from OTL’s “Boys of Summer.” See note 8.

[10] Don Felder memorably used a 12-string electric guitar in the original “Hotel California.”

[11] I’ve stolen the optics here from the “History of the Eagles” concert, down to Henley playing the “drums” on Glenn’s guitar case. (I think they were playing “Peaceful Easy Feeling.”) It was moving for me then, and I think it would be moving for anyone in the Dirty Laundryverse who got a chance to see it, too.

[12] Dave Orlovsky will, of course, never get to hear OTL’s acoustic version of “Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over album, or, for example, this pretty damn good concert version. Their loss, but on balance, the Dirty Laundryverse residents are way ahead of us in terms of good music. :)

[13] In post #1124, we learned that 30% of Democrats and 70% of independents in Don’s district were concerned about potential Satanic messages in “Hotel California,” showcasing a very vulnerable incumbent.

[14] On face, this seems like an enormous margin, but IOTL, Jim Chapman (D-TX-1) ran unopposed, garnering 84,445 votes. Remember that this is 1986, and Henley’s district has nearly twice as many Democrats (55%) as registered Republicans (34%).

[15] In his first special election to Congress, Henley garnered just 20,340 votes amidst poor turnout, winning by 2.5 percentage points (or less than 1,000 actual voters). Here, he wins 100,189 (68%) to 47,148 (32%), with above-average turnout for a congressional race in that year.

[16] I can't do a breakdown of all 435 Congressional races, but I can at least tell you how the Senate shapes up. Individual results are not significantly changed from OTL unless noted otherwise.

[17] Goldwater seeks another term due to what he perceives as the increased influence of the Christian right particularly in light of the ongoing “Satanic Panic” crisis. As a result, up-and-coming Democratic candidate Richard Kimball stays in the Arizona legislature instead of running for the Senate. John McCain -- who won this seat IOTL -- runs for Governor instead, defeating Evan Meacham in the primaries before narrowly defeating Arizona Secretary of State Rose Mofford (D), 52% - 48%. (IOTL, Meacham won 40% against a Democratic challenger, Carolyn Warner and a second Democrat, Bill Schultz, who ran as an independent. Meacham would be impeached for a variety of financial crimes in 1988.)

[18] IOTL, moderate Republican Ed Zschau won the nomination over the more conservative Herschensohn, and came within a few percentage points of defeating Cranston in the general election. Herschensohn would run for the same Senate seat again in 1992, winning the Republican nomination but losing the general election to Barbara Boxer.

[19] This is, of course, the seat vacated by incumbent Gary Hart (D), who declined to seek re-election to prepare for the 1988 Presidential election.

[20] This is a reverse of OTL’s results, in which the incumbent Symms defeated then-outgoing Gov. Evans 51.6% to 48.4%. Symms is a doctrinaire religious Right conservative; Evans is Mormon. Mormons are a significant percentage of the electorate in Idaho, and, ITTL, have mostly sat out the "Satanic Panic" fight to date. As a result, Symms is hurt fractionally by the backlash and loses a race he narrowly won IOTL.

[21] Ford won 74% of the vote and a majority in all 120 Kentucky counties; a record that stands to this day IOTL and ITTL.

[22] This is the seat vacated by retiring Sen. Russell B. Long (D), and although the events leading to Breaux’s victory are rather bizarre, I’m convinced they’re butterfly-proof. Long himself wanted sitting Gov. Edwin Edwards (D) as his hand-picked successor; Edwards was currently under indictment for fraud and would be acquitted in 1986.

[23] IOTL, Mathias – by that time one of the most liberal Republicans in the Senate – agonized over whether to seek re-election, ultimately dropping out in late ’85. The seat would be won by then-Congresswoman Barbara Mikulski (D), who still holds it to this day. ITTL, Mathias runs and wins easily over Barnes, a much less well-known Congressman who attempted (and failed) to make the ’86 campaign about Mathias’ “inability to stand up to Ronald Reagan.”

[24] East, who remains in office ITTL rather than committing suicide, loses to popular Gov. Terry Sanford (D) in a strongly Democratic year. IOTL, Sanford defeated interim Sen. Jim Broyhill (R) 52% - 48%.

[25] IOTL, incumbent Sen. James Abdnor (R) managed to stave off a primary challenge from Janklow, but lost in the general election to Daschle. Here, Abdnor is unseated by Janklow in the primary; either way, Daschle wins in the general election.

[26] This reverses OTL’s outcome, in which Kasten narrowly defeated Garvey, 51-48.

[27] In the Dirty Laundryverse, the Democrats net one additional seat beyond their gains IOTL in the 1986 mid-term elections. It breaks down like this: Evans (D) defeated Symms (R) in Idaho, and Garvey (D) defeated Kasten (R) in Wisconsin, but Mathias (R) held on to his Maryland Senate seat instead of retiring and paving the way for OTL's Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D).

Oh yeah, I’m working on a directory of posts for this thread since who knows when/if Andrew T will get to threadmarks, gotta prep new readers lol :)

Last edited:
Late reply to a five-year-old post. My apologies, these messages flew under the radar. Thanks for responding, Andrew T.

Barsi is one of the lucky ones in the Dirty Laundryverse; because she's got regular work on Family Ties, her abuse is reported earlier and Child Protective Services actually intervenes on her behalf. She survives to the end of the TL.

Incidentally, she enjoyed working with Don Bluth so much, she wanted to continue voice acting. Assuming she still appears in All Dogs Go To Heaven, and Land Before Time, we could see her in more Don Bluth animated productions, or a voice acting career could eventually lead into anime dubbing. ..

Everything I've read suggested that Smith really could act. Fates in the Dirty Laundryverse have certainly smiled on her.

Just wanted to make a correction. [Samantha] Smith in our timeline never did voice acting. Mr. E was referring to Judith Barsi in his initial post. That got me thinking, though, would Smith be doing voice work in this timeline?

I'm interested to see her in Adventures in Babysitting, or a movie like it in the Dirty Laundry-verse. And for maximum confusion, have Maia Brewton (her sister in Lime Street) play the younger daughter, Sarah Anderson, as in our timeline. In short, the TV sisters won't be movie sisters. Hope that makes sense.

Moving on

*snip*

February 24, 1986

After nearly two weeks of violence, military forces aligned with the Reform the Armed Forces Movement (RAM), orchestrated by Defense Secretary Juan Ponce Enrile and led by Lt. Colonel Gregorio Honasan, storm Macalan Palace, killing President Ferdinand Marcos and his wife, Imelda. Vice-President Tolentino escapes temporarily into hiding; he would eventually be caught, captured, and executed. [19]

After the palace coup, Enrile declares himself the sovereign government of the Philippines, dissolving the Batasang Pambansa and promising a “new Constitution.” Although Enrile would promise that opposition leader Corazon Aquino would have “a place” in his new government, Aquino would subsequently retire from political life. Cardinal Sin would remain in prison.

*snip*

It's definitely much worse than OTL, in which a nonviolent popular support swept Aquino (the "housewife candidate") into office, and caused Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos to flee to Hawaii. Afterwards, it was discovered that Imelda Marcos had thousands and thousands of pairs of (mostly unworn) expensive designer shoes, which sort of became the public face of the corruption of the Marcos regime. It was called the People Power Revolution, and I think it was one of the unmitigated Good Things to occur in 1986.

I was intrigued by the fact that it was Cardinal Sin (heh) who played such a major role in the nonviolent protests and ultimately helped orchestrate the entire revolution (as well as providing high-level political counsel to Aquino, a total novice). At the same time, Sin was an absolute hard-liner on condoms and AIDS -- and remained so until his death a few years ago. As you've probably figured out, I absolutely love morally ambiguous situations like this in Dirty Laundry, so I tried to figure out the most plausible way that conflict could unfold. Sadly, it's made things worse for a lot of Filipinos ITTL.

Commenting on a year-old post, I know. Still, I feel depressed and helpless after reading these posts. This butterfly is a huge blow to People Power, not only to the Philippines but also to the other countries that have had similar movements ever since (especially the Revolutions of 1989). I wouldn't want to live in the Dirty Laundry universe if things are only going to be worse.

Then again, Marcos' son is planning to run for the presidency and some people are saying People Power was a mistake nowadays anyway so...

I hear you, man. What I try to do is to extrapolate the logical consequences of pulling on one thread and unravelling another; sometimes that takes the TL in unhappy directions. As I said in that post: the People Power revolution was an unmitigated Good Thing, and it got there thanks to the work of a guy who, IMO, had very conflicting goals.

Yeah, let me go on record: those people are wrong.

Forgot that Enrile is involved in this. How long does he rule? And live? Even as long as our timeline?

What happens to the Philippines in the Dirty Laundry-verse? Will Enrile be toppled by what in our timeline is considered Asia's longest-running insurgency? Will the Philippines become a client state of the People's Republic of China much earlier (by 35 years) than in our timeline? (Context)

Thanks again for your replies, Andrew T. Hope you are well.

EDIT (17 April 2020):

Not unless Lime Street's writers stick to plots like this.

I elaborate upon this on my review of "The Mystery of Flight 401". I earlier made an introductory video on Lime Street, which is still live.

EDIT (25 September 2020): in bold.

Last edited:
Electric Dreams -- and thanks for that blast from the past! -- is due out in July of 1984 (and so is technically in the future), but tomorrow's update takes us through July anyway, so here goes: the film has minor butterflies in the design of the computer (that calls the protagonist 'Moles'), but has the same fate as IOTL: box office bomb and mid-80s cable TV movie staple. The only thing I can't reveal is whether "Together in Electric Dreams" will remain a staple of live shows by The Human League ITTL, because the music industry is about to undergo some major shakeups....

Was reading the thread from post 1 and this caught my eye. A shame about Electric Dreams. The way the movie used music to tell a story impressed me. (If you're interested, I talk about it here, here, and here). Maybe it would have had a better chance if it came out in the 2000s or 2010s, with computers and the Internet ascending from novelty to necessity.

I can't find whether "Together in Electric Dreams" still remains a staple of The Human League, so does it?

We're four years since an update but this is the thread that will not go quietly into the night. We keep hope alive that someday Andrew T will write more and we fans want it in this thread so we keep it alive with occasional posts.

But our alt historian has not been seen for 13 months here. That doesn't mean he won't return.