Anahuatlacanco: The Land Between the Waters, Land of the Nahuatlaca

Nope but Atlixcatzin isn't as trusting of the Spaniards, despite what Cuauhtláhuac and Cuauhtémoc might think. And things haven't descended into civil war as it did in the Inca Empire though there is a large segment of the Mexican aristocracy that will not be pleased with Atlixcatzin's eventual ascension as Elder Speaker of Tenochtitlan, given that succession is usually decided by them and Montezuma is clearly going around that and transforming the Alliance into a more centralized, hereditary empire.

Got ya!

But all we need is for thing to go sour just a bit for an autocratic Montezuma, and for Atlixcatzin to develop a tiny, just a tiny bit of ambition, for Cortez to stick his metal wrapped foot in.

Let's all pray that he doesn't. Congrats on the TL again!

Got ya!

But all we need is for thing to go sour just a bit for an autocratic Montezuma, and for Atlixcatzin to develop a tiny, just a tiny bit of ambition, for Cortez to stick his metal wrapped foot in.

He's had shades of this in OTL but it's been eclipsed by him being an incompetent, gullible buffoon in handling the Spaniards. He's nothing like the first Montezuma but I do not intend to make him too foolish looking as the Spanish accounts have treated him. For now, Montezuma will have a slightly better handling of the Spanish with Atlixcatzin acting as the Straight Man and his responsibilities as ruler-to-be grows. And of course there are divisions within the Spanish army themselves that will facilitate this as well. ;)

I'm going to try to get another medium-sized update ready for y'all before I head back to school after this week. I plan it to have some focus on Alvarado, a bit more on the growing conspiracy amongst some of the conquistadors who are growing weary of Mexico, Teuhtlile's second arrival and Cortes' eventual plans for the expedition.

Nice update. Like the descriptions and pictures. I'm trying to factor in how all this internal conflict is going to play into the formation of the Cortez lead Mexica Empire.

Dunno if this is thread necromancy, but looking back on this TL, it was really awesome. I don't know how I didn't follow it before.

Kosta

Banned
How about we all start spouting misinformation about the Aztecs, forcing him to write an informative update in response? ;)

I think we can do that.

The Aztecs sacrificed their victims for fun, right, just before they had their fun with them, first, right? I mean, I'm going off what the Spanish liberators said; I mean, those guys seemed to have known their stuff.

Luís, weren't you the one who said that Aztecs found the concept of universal education utterly repulsive, and they never implemented a public school system for everyone ever? I could've sworn that was you.

These Aztecs seemed to have been quite the conservative bunch. I believe that they might have supported Romney in the 2012 Election.

Oh, he gon' be pissed now ;).

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I think we can do that.

The Aztecs sacrificed their victims for fun, right, just before they had their fun with them, first, right? I mean, I'm going off what the Spanish liberators said; I mean, those guys seemed to have known their stuff.

Luís, weren't you the one who said that Aztecs found the concept of universal education utterly repulsive, and they never implemented a public school system for everyone ever? I could've sworn that was you.

These Aztecs seemed to have been quite the conservative bunch. I believe that they might have supported Romney in the 2012 Election.

Oh, he gon' be pissed now ;).

Those Aztecs, right? That's what they called themselves? ;)

While I'm trying to clean the foam off my keyboard you folks had best start to consider your actions and the collateral damage they have already caused. Another conniption like that and I'm toast!

While I'm trying to clean the foam off my keyboard you folks had best start to consider your actions and the collateral damage they have already caused. Another conniption like that and I'm toast!

I heard the Aztecs didn't even bathe! When the Spanish showed up, the first thing they thought was how badly they smelled!

And then there's this whole chicken-god thing. Something about a pterodactyl, I dunno.

Kosta

Banned

Oh great, my comedic chum brought in the wrong expert-shark. Aw, TEEYEETS!

Lets try this again. Ecuador, isn't that that former Spanish-colony in Subsaharan Africa? Or is it one of the states of Mexico?

But actually, Luís, we miss you and your works :(.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I heard the Aztecs didn't even bathe! When the Spanish showed up, the first thing they thought was how badly they smelled!

And then there's this whole chicken-god thing. Something about a pterodactyl, I dunno.

And of course, they only ever went to war to appease said chicken-god with blood. After all, the Aztecs never went to war for economic or political reasons.

By the way, didn't they go to war with the Olmecs?

*watches 9 Fanged's fit from afar*

Technically speaking this bit wouldn't be incorrect, I would be very surprised if the Mexica didn't actually fight the Olmecs. You see, Olmec was originally the Nahua name for a contemporary people who lived on the Gulf Coast, the name meaning "Rubber people" because their land was a rich source of rubber. The term was later used by archaeologists to refer to the early Mesoamerican civilization because at first they believed them to be of the same people because they lived in the same area, though this later was known to be obviously untrue.

And of course, they only ever went to war to appease said chicken-god with blood. After all, the Aztecs never went to war for economic or political reasons.

Speaking of the Olmecs, they actually didn't do anything. All of those heads and spheres were made by the shipwrecked survivors of Atlantis

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Speaking of the Olmecs, they actually didn't do anything. All of those heads and spheres were made by the shipwrecked survivors of Atlantis

Or people from Africa...

Technically speaking this bit wouldn't be incorrect, I would be very surprised if the Mexica didn't actually fight the Olmecs. You see, Olmec was originally the Nahua name for a contemporary people who lived on the Gulf Coast, the name meaning "Rubber people" because their land was a rich source of rubber. The term was later used by archaeologists to refer to the early Mesoamerican civilization because at first they believed them to be of the same people because they lived in the same area, though this later was known to be obviously untrue.

Ah, I remember reading about this somewhere. I hope historians have bothered to invent a term to distinguish the two in the intervening 500 years?

Ah, I remember reading about this somewhere. I hope historians have bothered to invent a term to distinguish the two in the intervening 500 years?
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe we can get closer to one once we establish what language they spoke but even that is far from certain. Though when I think about it it's surprising they haven't since "Aztec" is more or less an invented term used by historians to distinguish the historical Mexica from the present Mexicans.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe we can get closer to one once we establish what language they spoke but even that is far from certain. Though when I think about it it's surprising they haven't since "Aztec" is more or less an invented term used by historians to distinguish the historical Mexica from the present Mexicans.

I guess even a different nonsensical, invented term would do us more good. :p