Your choices for a modern LXG

Based on the comic (not the movie!) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, who would you put in the LXG for 2008?

General Guidelines:

1) Character must be in popular fiction of some sort (books, movies, etc)
Popular is a relative term, I know, but in this case meaning that at least 50% of people on the street have at least heard of this character.

2) The aforementioned series must be able to co-exist with our world or, actually the world of LXG since their history is different (for example, no Superheroes since the DC/Marvel/other universes are so engrossing)

3) Preferrably British, or you can at least come up with a reason why they would work for Britain.

My picks:

-Quartermain and Murray (They are apparently immortal)

-An older James Bond as 'M'(if he started in the 50's, he'd be 80ish by now)

-Harry Potter (rather than the happy go lucky schoolboy he is in the books, he'd be a horribly scarred, extremely powerful sorcerer who's been twisted by years of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from his cousin, aunt and uncle. I'm reading between the lines here.)

Jack Ryan might fit, though as a former US President he might not.

GI Joe - Though I'm primarily a fan of the 80s incarnation, the original Joe would make more sense in this case. However, he might be a bit too old. Snake Eyes from the 80s series might be a better fit.

Reposting what I said in an eerily similar thread some months back:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=68338

Ofaloaf said:
Still, putting actual Superheroes such as Superman and Captain America on the team wouldn't go with the character of the league. Even Batman probably wouldn't work too well; he's not shady enough and despite trying to be a lone wolf, he's worked with so many goddamned organizations and even created a 'Bat-family' that he wouldn't be seclusive enough for the League's tastes.

If you'll note, nobody in the League's ever been a big-name celebrity and Hero of Good (Nemo was an infamous criminal and pirate in the minds of many, Hyde's character speaks for itself, Quartermain was a has-been, second-rate hero over the hill and addicted to opium, etc.). What the League likes employing are seclusive figures not of prominent status, often with personal issues still to be resolved (The character is commonly promised something to remedy the character's issue, as to help motivate him or her).

Such characters that could possibly be found in a modern setting, requiring aid of some sort or another but all providing profound skills at something, include:
Rambo
Alexis Hammond
, granddaughter of the CEO and creator of Jurassic Park
A yet-again resurrected Talbot/Wolfman, or some potential descendant thereof.
An adult Draco Malfoy. The last book takes place in '97 or '98, if I recall correctly, and Harry Potter gets his most of his issued resolved by the end of the series. Draco's still fucked up, though. The League would do nicely with at least one magic-user, at the very least.

Indiana Jones would probably be in his 90s by now, considering he fought Nazis before WWII while still being old enough to be a professor at an established college. He's out.

edit: Aside from all that, the DC and Marvel universes are completely seperate and have been established as such in several crossovers. If you did try to combine the two together, you'd end up tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands or millions, of super-powered beings on one planet. It'd just be too far debased from the emphasis of the LoEG series. Moriaty didn't have laser vision, and Fu Manchu wasn't faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap over tall buildings in a single bound.

Hmm. Jack Ryan, Harry Potter, the immortal Quatermain, Alan Grant (or some other Jurassic Park character).
David Bowman/HAL-9000 etc. from 2001: A Space Odyssey and sequels.
Robert Langdon and/or friends.
If Winston Smith and co. are still around from 1984, they should be tossed a bone.
Susan Calvin from Asimov's I, Robot. Don't know why she'd go to the UK, but why not?
Jake Grafton from Stephen Coonts novels. Again, no idea why the British would get him.
Odd Thomas from the Dean Koontz series about him. Why? 'Cause he's that awesome.
Jason Bourne (aka David Webb, Cain)
Dirk Pitt from Cussler novels.
Patrick McLanahan of Dale Brown novels.

Maybe other characters from those series, but I think I would love to see something with all those guys in it.

Trilby's a little obscure (from the XDAS series) but who cares
The Jackal, from The Day of the Jackal
Someone from the Metal Gear series
Gordon Freeman (couldn't resist)

Those are probably all decent candidates.

I liked the Harry Potter idea:)

Doctor Who? I mean, he's worked with the UK gov't and UNIT in the past....

John Drake from The Prisoner, although he'd be a bit older...

Perhaps the BPRD would offer Hellboy on loan?

Miss Marple?

The A-Team?

And if we're into immortal characters, how about a real obscure one: Enoch Root?

MrP

Banned
Bond
Lewis (old Endeavour's man)

Are we a bit short on British types nowadays, have I stopped reading contemporary adventure fiction or is it both? Andy McNab and Chris Thingummy must have some recurring characters, I s'pose.

Dirk Pitt (good choice, Gryphon!)
Charlie Parker (Private Dick form the novels of John Connolly)
Clarice Starling (Hannibal's getting a bit old now, tbh)
Bourne (though he and Bond are pretty much the same)

James Bond (or "Jimmy" as he is known in the LoEG universe) could possibly be M in 2008, but I don't think Alan and Mina would re-establish connections with British Intelligence if that were so. I liked the HP idea, it's a very good twist and it fits in well with the dark nature of the League. And John Constantine would be perfect, if not for a position in the League then at least a cameo

I can think of several characters including:

Michael Stone (or Mickey Bricks), a con artist from Hustle, possibly arrested on his return from a con in Australia (for which he missed the fourth season) and released on the condition that he aid British Intelligence.

Ali G as an actual gangster, ruling not just the west side, but all of Staines after a voilent gang war destroies all east side threats. The town of Staines would have to be changed so that it resembles the inner city ghetto of London, like Ali claimes it to be.

Garry Sparrow, from Goodnight Sweetheart, who somehow manages to return to the present and, in doing so, becomes aware of temporal weakpoints all throughout all of England. He could also be a desendant of the pirate Jack Sparrow, like other characters in the LoEG universe (such as Professor Moriarty and Dean Moriarty, and John Carter and Randolph Carter).

I can't really think of anymore right now, I'm too tired.

Anyone read the new LXG set in 1958, The Black Dossier? Features James Bond and Emma Peel and Orwell's 1984 and oblique references to "The Prisoner" and even a little cameo by the Tardis...there's a set of annotations here where you can find all the references, although obviously it has a lot of spoilers. And according to this interview, Moore actually is going to do another volume which is set in three different times, 1910, 1968, and 2008:
The third volume grows out from the fairly radical approach that we’ve taken with The Black Dossier. We decided that, for practical reasons, we’d like this third volume to be structured differently than the preceding two volumes. We thought that it might be easier on the readers if we did three standalone 72-page volumes that are, nevertheless, connected by an overarching story, so that if there is a long wait between issues, it won’t be a cliffhanger. Having read one chapter of this third volume, the readers will be satisfied to a certain degree They will feel like they’ve read a substantial chapter of a story that answers the questions that it has raised to a large extent, while still leaving a couple of plot threads dangling, traveling into the next episode. Now, we the story overall is going to be entitled Century, because it takes roughly 100 years to tell. The story starts around 1910, where you’ve got a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen composed of five or six characters from that period’s literature – a couple of familiar faces and a few new ones. Basically, they are acting on strange presentiments of a disaster that is going to happen in London and that they think may be connected with the forthcoming coronation of the king. These are the events around which Bertolt Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera concerned itself, so we’ve got characters from that – Mack the Knife and Pirate Jenny – turning up and playing quite a big part in this first chapter. There are also threads which refer to an occult conspiracy – again, drawn from the occult literature of the period. In fact, there’s quite a good scene with kind of a magician’s club somewhere in the West End, where most of the 19th century occultists are all hanging out and discussing trade secrets.

The second book, by which time the League has been pared down to three or four members, is set in 1968, and revolves around the psychedelic, swinging London of that period, and which features a variety of characters from the films and literature of that time. Michael Moorcock’s Jerry Cornelius makes an appearance. There are also a lot of references to some of the cult cinema of that period, to television, to literature, and even to comic books. And then, the third and final chapter of Volume 3 is going to be set in 2008. We’ll bring the League right up to date and will, I hope, demonstrate the flexibility of these characters, and that they are not just perennially frozen in a kind of Victorian wonderland and can’t survive outside of it. I think that we’re going to demonstrate that you could extrapolate upon these characters until the end of time, if necessary. They’re adaptable, is basically what I’m saying. I think by showing that we can actually set the story in the present day, that it will be a good demonstration. In the overall course of this third book, I think that the subtext is probably going to be the decline of culture. I mean, the first part is set in 1910 and will probably be packaged in the style of one of the very beautiful post-art-nouveau art movements of that period, and will look fairly gorgeous. The second one, set in 1968, will probably have a cover that is in a psychedelic poster style. The third one will be reflective of our culture in 2008. And, I think that something about the tone of the books themselves and the way that they’re packaged will kind of give a strong message that we’ve come a long way since the glory days of the Victorian era, with all of those marvelous and rich characters. Yes, we’ve come a long way and it wasn’t necessarily in the right direction. That’s going to be part of the subtext of Volume 3, but as usual, it will be a fairly rip-roaring yarn that will build up to quite a devastating climax in Book 3. And, there’s a sort of encroaching frankness to the delivery. Perhaps that’s because we’re moving out of the Victorian era, where if I wanted to have the characters use and expletive or a swear word, I would substitute a line of asterisks, which was the Victorian style. In The Black Dossier, we’ve been a lot more frank about the sexuality and language. And this is something that I think we’re going to be continuing with as the League progresses through the decades towards the present day – that they will reflect the times that they are moving through. And as a result, some of the material in the third volume is quite savage. I don’t really want to give too much away yet, but some of the scenes in the second book are very, very bleak, and the third book is a complete nightmare. But, that’s the one that I haven’t yet written, so I should be getting to that sometime early next year.

Last edited:
Anyone read the new LXG set in 1958, The Black Dossier? Features James Bond and Emma Peel and Orwell's 1984 and oblique references to "The Prisoner" and even a little cameo by the Tardis...there's a set of annotations here where you can find all the references, although obviously it has a lot of spoilers. And according to this interview, Moore actually is going to do another volume which is set in three different times, 1910, 1968, and 2008:

funny you should ask, since I'm reading that right now... as in literally right this minute.:D

I've posted this elsewhere, but for the USA, my picks for a LOEG team would be...

THE SILENT EAGLES

Indiana Jones; uber-archaeologist/advenurer, leader of the Eagles
Charlene McGee; pyrokinetic mutant
Alfred Lanning; mechanical genius
Snake Plisskin; ex-Special Forces soldier & criminal; liason to underworld
Hannibal Lecter; genius/insane cannibal & murderer (the Edward Hyde equivalent, necessary but evil)
Michael Harrigan; ex-LAPD detective

This may be slightly outside the parameters, but I always imagined that in the LXG universe of 2007, Patrick Bateman of American Psycho fame probably made the jump from high finance to politics sometime in the early 1990s, and by 2007 he's Secretary of Defense and a strong contender for his party's nomination in 2008, despite the fact no one knows what his position on any issue is, or even if he has any.

Too dark?

Last edited:

MrP

Banned
This may be slightly outside the parameters, but I always imagined that in the LXG universe of 2007, Patrick Bateman (of American Psycho fame)probably made the jump from high finance to politics sometime in the early 1990s, and in 2007 he's Secretary of Defense and a strong contender for his party's nomination in 2008, despite the fact no one knows what is position on any issue is, or even if he has any.

Too dark?

:D

I'd love to see Bateman return. I think he'd be splendidly suited to the role of despicable and deranged villain.

:D

I'd love to see Bateman return. I think he'd be splendidly suited to the role of despicable and deranged villain.
Oh, I agree. He's a wonderful mixture of amoral savagery and Tom Cruise-esque giddiness, but he still has a core of pathetic wretchedness that pokes up every once and a while. If you wanted to get all English-major on us, I think he'd be a great way to explore popular culture's obsession with the psychopath over the last 30 years, from action heroes to serial killers.

I was also thinking Robert Langdon from The Da Vinci Code could do a cameo to provide a whack of exposition on whatever story needs it. The joke, of course, would be that while he has all this esoteric knowledge and walls of degrees, he still sounds like a massive idiot. Again, you could probably use him to have some fun bashing the conventions of the modern potboiler.

Nietzsche

Banned
<.<

V?

Seriously, why not? He could fill the place of the Invisible Man. Of course, this is Comic-book V, the one who had no problem with blowing up entire streets. And the Invisible Man from the comics was a rapist & murderer. I believe he would do nicely. Although, of course, he is a "Freedom Fighter". Granted, it's a "Freedom at all costs" sort, he's still a Freedom Fighter. Would be interesting, to say the least.

The Sandman

Banned
Ranma Saotome. Just for a chance to a) cure his curse and b) be on the opposite side of the world from his Swirling Relationship Vortex of Doom. Plus, he's pretty tough.

And how about Solid Snake?

And do you choose V, or Rorschach?

Nietzsche

Banned
Hm. While Rorschach is an interesting character, V would add alot more diversity, and V is a bit more...different.

While Rorschach would be a good "Mesh" character, that would fit in much better with the group, V lends a certain amount of unpredictability. Insanity is such a wonderful thing like that.