WWI Artillery question

Delvestius

Banned
Hey guys, I need some help with weapon caliber. For my worldbuilding project I have incorporated the following artillery pieces:

Aurelian Pieces
37mm Anti-armor gun
51mm Field gun
64mm Cannon
71mm Defense Gun
80mm Mortar

Zoth Pieces
40mm Field gun
55mm Gear gun
75mm Zoth cannon
90mm Counter cannon

After a bit more research of early twentieth century armies I'v come to the conclusion that IOTL either side fielded a greater variety of weapons, with those weapons being a higher caliber for their purposes (for example, the French were using 75mm as field guns, not assault cannons)

Essentially what I'm asking is if these calibers look right and plausible in another world. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

They look a bit light, and very little indirect fire in the form of mortars and howitzers. Field guns need a useable HE and shrapnel shell and 40-50mm was really too small for that, good enough for an MG nest, but not all that effective at inflicting casualties beyond a point target.

Generally circa WWI you had guns of a number of types

Smallest were infantry support guns, developed during the war generally, of 37mm caliber, though some were simply field guns with shorter barrels, for us destroying machine gun nests in rough terrain

Above those were 65-77mm mountain guns for fighting in rough terrain

Mid way you had the standard field pieces that were 75mm to 85mm, though some older slower firing pieces of larger caliber were used. These were the brigade and division, sometimes corps, level guns

Above them were heavy field guns of 100mm to 170mm, used at the Corps level and higher, for long range and counter battery work

Anything beyond that was siege guns used for battering fortress and heavy defenses, of 170mm and up to 457mm, these were often railway drawn, sometimes just naval guns mounted on land

You also had howitzers, for flinging explosive shells in arcing trajectories at lower velocity, generally light ~105mm, heavy ~150mm and siege of greater calibers up to 420mm. Some howitzers were even made lightweight for mountain use

You also had mortars for lobbing rounds, 50-100mm infantry mortars and 150mm+ siege mortars up to 520mm

In addition guns of ~57mm were used to defend fixed points in fortresses

As such I would say you need some heavier pieces and more indirect fire