Would you have lasted in 1983?

We lived on Long Island, about 35 miles east of Manhattan. Probably would have been ok from the initial strike on NYC, but depending on fallout patterns we could have been very uncomfortable.

Also, there's the prospect of strikes on what at the time were the Fairchild-Republic plants in East Farmingdale. That would have probably ruined our day, backyard fallout shelter or not
Also, there probably were at least a couple of targets on the Connecticut shoreline north of us.
I wasn't born until 1985 but my parents would have not had a fun time. They lived (and still live) further out in Suffolk in Bellport/East Patchogue. Think they would have been OK from any blasts but fallout from the west and north would have been a problem. Not sure what would get knocked out except for BNL and probably Gabreski and Grumman further east.

I would have been 3 years old, and in Jerusalem at the time, living with my grandparents. So depending on how far the war expanded, it might have affected us, it might not.

Then again, the fallout from a nuked USSR/Eastern Europe would have been catastrophic.

Let’s see, November 1983 I was -6 months old. (Born may 1984). My parents lived in Wichita Falls, TX, where I live today. Which happens to be the location of Shepherd AFB, a major NATO training base. At that time and now. My neighbors growing up had a tornado shelter built after Terrible Tuesday (1979 tornado) that probably would have protected them from everything but fallout. It’s vents were a couple of pipes through the ceiling. And we were a good 9~10 miles away from the base. Honestly I’d hope my mom had a miscarriage. I was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate. Mom couldn’t breast feed me when I was born OTL if I was born months later ITL I probably would have been the victim of infanticide, and probably would have been considered a mercy kill.

Last edited:
Your telling me. I still remember how my dad was when he put down our beagle when I was a kid. (Poor thing had seizures and at some point after a vet appointment... well Dad borrowed a pellet gun from someone he knew, it was quick, clean and from what I understand Sarah (our dog) was unconscious because of another seizure.

And my dad was torn up inside for days after from what I remember. Imagining how it would have been if instead of an admittedly sickly dog but his own son and first born child? He probably would have marched straight for the glowing crater that had been Shepherd AFB afterwards.

Keep in mind this is assuming me and my mom survived childbirth months after the bombs fell

I try not thinking about able archer 83 as much as possible

Last edited:
November 1983(9 years old btw), Västerås Airport Hässlö still was a reserve airfield for F18(18 squadron, not the airplane), ASEA had big operations, Metallverken had big operations and both were major defence Contractors. I have read that Russia had 7 nukes aimed at us and US around the same number. I would be dust.

Even if Västerås is spared we are 100 km from Stockholm. And Soviet union is Close by. So if not nuked, then fallout.

Grew up in Brighton , East Sussex England. Which has its own marina. Shoreham Harbour is next door plus Newhaven Harbour on the other side. No idea what the target list would be for that area. But I'm fairly sure its goodnight and goodbye for me and everyone else in the neighbourhood.

I was on a a large RoRo ship at the time, sadly instead of being safe[?] at sea in the North Atlantic we were trogging up the East coast of the States - Houston, New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Baltimore, New York and Halifax. So either we would be taken out in port, or by some happy submarine while in transit. Ah, good times...

Small world. I was also born in 1952.

And I would have been commanding a Leopard tank, with the overpressure system working big time.
We once did a 3 day NBC exercise, closed down. Four men inside a tank, eating, sleeping, pissing and shitting. It wasn't the happiest three days of my life......

I hope this doesn’t come across as patronizing, but I think it’s cool we’ve got members who were there and experienced the times. I only faintly remember seeing the Berlin Wall coming down on TV

My father was a Minuteman III launch officer at Minot, my mom just had me a few months before, so her and I would be glassed, and I'd hope it would end quick for my father, (off duty that moment and above ground.)

I hope this doesn’t come across as patronizing, but I think it’s cool we’ve got members who were there and experienced the times. I only faintly remember seeing the Berlin Wall coming down on TV
hey hey, I saw the Berlin Wall fall too! I was born in 1998 but that doesn't stop me!
:p

My parents were studying in pocheon, so i would probably be born.
That would be assuming the war didn't escalate from Europe to the rest of the world. At which point, South Korea isn't nuked, but a war does happen, and the Korean War continues again.

Gorky town in the RSFSR. Absolutely nuked into the oblivion. City nested so many soviet military, research, nuclear and production facilities... Even almost 30 years later there are remnants of a military complex plants and factories on their last legs.

Last edited:

Anchises

Banned
Not born yet and my parents are in the Rhineland at the time. I really doubt that both of them would have survived. Even if by chance they both survive, I doubt that they would bring a child into the resulting Germany...

If Able Archer has indeed led to war in 1983, how would you/your family have fared?

My dad was at school in Cornwall at the time, near Truro. Probably burned when Falmouth potentially goes kaput. Imagine mum was in Bristol so similar story. Yikes

North East England. Dead.

Newcastle airport nearby, Vickers Armstrong up river to the west and Swan Hunters down river to the east? Vaporised. Thankfully.

A little further south than you but not only did we have the above we still had the ship yards on the Tyne, Wear and Tees ( Especially Swans), the massive ICI petrochemical refinery on Teeside, the steel works of Middlebrough/Redcar, Hartlepool nuclear power station was just about on line then and all the associated infrastructure ( East Coast Mainline, A1M, A19 etc) Teesside Airport with it's nice long runway and ports nearby would be juicy targets. The Durham coalfield was still booming ( the year before the strike) and slightly further south we had Catterick and RAF Leeming. Oh and RAF Fylingdales and Menwith Hill nearby!

We are nothing but a glowing hole in the ground.

Last edited:
If the Sovs forgot that Consett Steelworks shut in 1980 then i get a can of instant sunshine

(but as i'm less than 15 miles from Newcastle - airport, shipyards, etc then it does'nt really matter)