Would the world have survived a nuclear war in 1983?

You are over-rating the death rates from disease. Most diseases usually have a death rate in the 30% range. The Black Death was exceptional having a death rate of approximately 40% where ever it struck. Influenza only had a death rate in the high 20s. Disease is not as effective as the proponents believe it to be.
No, but you forget that like the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, it doesn't comes alone. The war disrupts the normal cycle of food production, destroys much of the stocks and transportation. After the war the chaos will make planting/harvesting food more difficult, the resulting famine makes everybody less able to stay healty. All this results in less people to plant the next harvest in the second year after the war. This would also be the time that farming equipment would give out due to lack of spare parts / fuel / tires etc.

No, but you forget that like the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, it doesn't comes alone. The war disrupts the normal cycle of food production, destroys much of the stocks and transportation. After the war the chaos will make planting/harvesting food more difficult, the resulting famine makes everybody less able to stay healty. All this results in less people to plant the next harvest in the second year after the war. This would also be the time that farming equipment would give out due to lack of spare parts / fuel / tires etc.
In America perhaps. Downunder we have a Government that listens to and acts upon scientific advice. We had a medical system that is geared to look after the people. In the 1980s, Australia was largely self-sufficient in food stuffs, medical stuffs, machinery and equipment. I can see Australia being set back about 30-50 years at most.

Sorry I disagree on the idea that tech will survive beca we have so many people that know so much.
In the interconnected world we live in today once we hit a level of destruction such as a full scale worse case WW3 we are going to see our supply chain not just damaged like it was with Covid, nor even ‘broken” we are going to see it shattered.
And know how to build something is irrelevant if you can’t get the parts, or the materials that are needed.
And today we get raw materials from dozens of countries to go to factories around the world that make sub assemblies that then go to somewhere else to put together before the item is shipped somewhere else to build whatever.
Just look at a simple house wiring. You need the heavy electrical cable into the house that is usually NOT copper, you need a power panel, and all the Breakers that are used in it then you need the copper cable , the various boxes that are used to house outlets and lights and what have you, then we need the outlets and the switches and the light fixtures (that are often LED now).
keep in mind that the breakers are complicated devises made of injected plastic parts and metal marts (often a couple different alloys) and all assembled in complicated jigs, the also use various “spring like” devises. Then we get to the cable, we need the copper wires the “plastic“ and paper that is around the indi wires and then the exterior sheathing that goes around all of that.
So we need metals, spring metals, plastics, of many different versions and paper. Plus the factories to process this and then make the stuff needed.
And you think that just because I have an electrician we are good to go?
Sorry but no. And we can’t fall back to earlier tech either as we don’t know how to make that either and even that tech takes a tech base to keep it going. There was a reason why the Industrial Revolution happened, You had interealated technology that could support and build on each other, you had the tech to harvest the natural resources, the tech to transport the resources the tech to process the resources and then more that to the factories that could build stuff, these factories which required the tech to build the factories and all the machines that they used and don’t forget the tech and factories to build the machines that the factories used and so on and so on.
As For using existing tech, how do you keep it running? We don’t fix things now days we replace them. When the battery dies in your car what are you going to do? When some critical part in the oil refinery fails and the factory that made it is a pile of glass and. Ash what are you going to do?

No our technology and our production and our world is so interconnected that when you blow huge chunks to pieces with a full scale nuclear exchange you are not going yo keep it going.
And don’t forget that with that nuclear exchange we also are losing huge chunks of the power grid. Anyone remember the blackout that hit the Eastern part of the US about 20 years ago? And that was a cascade from a single failure point, think what will happen after WW3. And without a steady source of electricity and gas what are you doing for food and water and warmth in the winter? Most homes can’t be heated without there. Furnaces. So you will lose a lot of the people that survive the nuclear exchange simply because they live to far from a food source.

No this is going to snowball and e are going to lose most of the population and we will end up back at a pre 1800 tech level by the time we stop the slide. It MAY come back faster as the knowledge may survive in books and what have you so we won’t need to invent or discover as much but we will need to rebuild. But some things will need to be rediscovered,

So I stand by my statement that Humans will survive but our modern technology is doomed.

You are over-rating the death rates from disease. Most diseases usually have a death rate in the 30% range. The Black Death was exceptional having a death rate of approximately 40% where ever it struck. Influenza only had a death rate in the high 20s. Disease is not as effective as the proponents believe it to be.
Except weaponized diseases can have a 90% death rate - and thats with a working first world health care system. If even 10% of the leaked details about what the Russians cooked up are true, those biological weapons are the things of nightmares. They make the nukes look like kids toys.

The Southern Hemisphere (esp. South America, Southeast Asia, and Australasia) will have to learn how to live without the Northern Hemisphere.

All that I can say other than this, is that 1983: Doomsday is way too idealistic and optimistic.

How so? From what I’ve read, it seems pretty grim to me…
There is a thread discussing and critiquing it here:
ASB in the extreme. Some highlights:

- The existence of massive, relatively highly populated entities in Europe, most obviously in the Germanies when in all reality there should be nothing much more than city states at best in the case of Germany.
- Despite real issues with reliability and accuracy in Soviet strategic forces, as well as the obvious constraint of only having about 1,300 ICBMs and a few hundred SLBMs, the ex-United States was butchered enough it only has about 30 million people in CONUS. This is rather weird, given the above point.
- Despite American nuclear parity and exceptional second strike capabilities in the form of USN Boomers and SAC Bombers, major Soviet cities in Siberia weren't hit for some reason and the USSR survived as a major global power. Despite being focused in Siberia, somehow the Soviets also still have more people than CONUS does as of the present in the ATL.
- Somehow, the Soviets targeted Australian cities despite it being out of range of most of their ICBMs and despite the fact they never had plans to target anything beyond American intelligence installations within Australia.
- Despite Sat communications and doing things like re-establishing LORANN, for some reason the U.S. government in exile in Australia never learned about surviving State governments in the West, despite the plot hole of establishing Reagan did have communication with them prior to his disappearance and Bush somehow knew about it; this suggests Bush was apparently an Australian puppet in shutting down said government in exile.
- As an addendum to the above, Mexico had survived and the U.S. was well aware of this, yet somehow they didn't know about surviving State Governments/entities in places such as Texas and along the Gulf Coast.
- The 101st Airborne somehow survived intact, relocated to West Virginia because Fallout 76 is better in real life apparently, and then randomly became a Communist dictatorship in the mold of North Korea in terms of Anti-Americanism despite all the soldiers and officers have previously served in the U.S. Army faithfully and had taken oaths to the Constitution. Besides apparently attempting Hill Billy Juche, they also decided to, for reasons unknown, start making AK-47s; apparently the author thought they needed to be move overt with the North Korean like feel.
- Despite extensive surviving assets in places like Kentucky and Michigan, surviving regular Military and National Guard forces never manage to get into contact with the Government in exile until around 2010.
- Apparently all Americans forgot they were Americans and decided to live out Mad Max, adopting new nationalisms/identities within less than a generation and proceed to radically butcher each other. This stretches the belief particularly in the case of the nations of the NAU, with Mormons randomly deciding they will not join a re-born US despite their long history of striving to be ideal Americans and to achieve Statehood. Also, the fact Indians previously living on reservations, dirt poor and struggling with things like Alcoholism randomly form a nation in the Dakotas and wage war against surviving State Governments despite their territory being overwhelming non-Indian and their aforementioned socio-political structures being completely incapable of doing such.
- Israel apparently having Rogue Squadron in the IDF, given they managed to shoot down ICBMs with fighter jets, equaling nearly half of all launched at them and no one else does this. This is especially comical given that it is established the NATO navies nearby off Lebanon, despite having equally trained and equipped pilots and forces, and, yah know, being mobile unlike the nation of Israel, get butchered by Soviet nukes. Somehow, despite its small size, Israel is also able to survive and even expand despite still taking nukes to the face.

I could go on, but it should be rapidly apparent how insanely ASB the TL is.

Sorry I disagree on the idea that tech will survive beca we have so many people that know so much.
In the interconnected world we live in today once we hit a level of destruction such as a full scale worse case WW3 we are going to see our supply chain not just damaged like it was with Covid, nor even ‘broken” we are going to see it shattered.
And know how to build something is irrelevant if you can’t get the parts, or the materials that are needed.
And today we get raw materials from dozens of countries to go to factories around the world that make sub assemblies that then go to somewhere else to put together before the item is shipped somewhere else to build whatever.
Just look at a simple house wiring. You need the heavy electrical cable into the house that is usually NOT copper, you need a power panel, and all the Breakers that are used in it then you need the copper cable , the various boxes that are used to house outlets and lights and what have you, then we need the outlets and the switches and the light fixtures (that are often LED now).
keep in mind that the breakers are complicated devises made of injected plastic parts and metal marts (often a couple different alloys) and all assembled in complicated jigs, the also use various “spring like” devises. Then we get to the cable, we need the copper wires the “plastic“ and paper that is around the indi wires and then the exterior sheathing that goes around all of that.
So we need metals, spring metals, plastics, of many different versions and paper. Plus the factories to process this and then make the stuff needed.
And you think that just because I have an electrician we are good to go?
Sorry but no. And we can’t fall back to earlier tech either as we don’t know how to make that either and even that tech takes a tech base to keep it going. There was a reason why the Industrial Revolution happened, You had interealated technology that could support and build on each other, you had the tech to harvest the natural resources, the tech to transport the resources the tech to process the resources and then more that to the factories that could build stuff, these factories which required the tech to build the factories and all the machines that they used and don’t forget the tech and factories to build the machines that the factories used and so on and so on.
As For using existing tech, how do you keep it running? We don’t fix things now days we replace them. When the battery dies in your car what are you going to do? When some critical part in the oil refinery fails and the factory that made it is a pile of glass and. Ash what are you going to do?

No our technology and our production and our world is so interconnected that when you blow huge chunks to pieces with a full scale nuclear exchange you are not going yo keep it going.
And don’t forget that with that nuclear exchange we also are losing huge chunks of the power grid. Anyone remember the blackout that hit the Eastern part of the US about 20 years ago? And that was a cascade from a single failure point, think what will happen after WW3. And without a steady source of electricity and gas what are you doing for food and water and warmth in the winter? Most homes can’t be heated without there. Furnaces. So you will lose a lot of the people that survive the nuclear exchange simply because they live to far from a food source.

No this is going to snowball and e are going to lose most of the population and we will end up back at a pre 1800 tech level by the time we stop the slide. It MAY come back faster as the knowledge may survive in books and what have you so we won’t need to invent or discover as much but we will need to rebuild. But some things will need to be rediscovered,

So I stand by my statement that Humans will survive but our modern technology is doomed.
Only this is supposed to take place in 1983, not 2023, when most countries still were far less dependent on international supply lines than today. Most cars e.g. still didn't have that many electronic parts and virtually every manufacturer still produced carburator motors that could do completely without any. ABS and airbags were only a thing in a few select luxury cars as was air conditioning, power steering, power seats or power windows, on most compact cars it wasn't even an option.

No trchnology was not independent in 1983. It was more indepented then it is now but that is not saying it is infependent,
I lived my whole live around Detroit. half my family wored for the auto conpanies and my dad was a mechanic.
And by the time i got my drivers liscense in the mid 80s you already had German, Canadian and Japanese (to name but three) companies provding parts. All sorts of parts (especially electronics) where being shipped all around the world.
It was 1985 when the 1911 was replaced.

And dont forget that the food chain is often relient on being aboe to import at least part of your food from elsewhere when your winter sets in. No one in Michigan is storring fruits and meats to last the winter, If the trucks stoppped rolling no more food. Same holds true of much of the. rest of the world.

And all of that is besides the point. No major country is getting out of WW3 in 1983 unscathed. That was the height of MAD. Everyone of any size is getting hit to one degree or another. And those hits will put paid to advanced tech.
First the electric grid and food production would have to be restored, and where are you getting enough raw meterials to do that? Very few countries in the world have the raw meterials to kerp its 1980s industries running. The US is better them most but even 1983 US had missing stuff it needed. Good luck getting rubber for instance and no synthetic was not up to doing everything in 1983 from either the science to do everything that real rubber could nor from being able to be made in volumn and once your oil and chemical supply is hit good luck making synthetic rubber,
There is a resaon why embargos hurt counties. Because they need something from outside there boarders.
It takes tens of thousand's of factories to keep a 1980# tech going as it is all dependent on each other, You need A to build X and X for B and B for G and G for Z and Z for Y and Y for A and so on amd so forth. There is a reason why the industrial revolution took so long. You need (for example) very accurate machine tools to build just about anything that exists. But you also need them to build Accurate machine tools.
And 1880s tech is no easier to support. Go visit a working museum and see how conplicated this stuff was.
Everything is interconnected.
Take the change in Christmas tree orniments from 1910 to 1960. A span of 50 years. We see a LOT more ornment on christmas trees and many (most?) of these new orniments are the delacte glass ornimdnts sometime call murcury ornimdnts or what every. We all know them the are blown glass really thin and they blow up when dropped n hard surfaces. Why did these become so redily available and inexpensive at that time? I will give you a hint, those bulbs breack/explode just like light bulbs. why? Because they basicly ARE light bulbs. the same basic tech needed to build a light bulbs glass component is what is used to make those christmass orniments. Because it is all related and inter connected,

So what is you country doing to lights? You need electricity with all that involves from know how to run amd maintain the generators and lines yo the fuel to run the generators the factory to build the wires the control systems the generators and the vehicals that move all that. dont forget the explosives to mine the coal or the refinery for the oil or the gas plant. Hech where are you getting lubricants? You need some pretty diverse lubricants in a machine shop. And you need trained skilled people to run it all.
Back in the 1930s the C&O hired a company to fix crackes in the frames of it T-1 class engines. The conpany somehow welded them together using a version of but that technology was basicly lost as no one needs it anymore. In WW3 you will lose trchnology simply by losing the folks with the knowledge that does mot get writen down. I have the EXACT track layout of the C&O served coal mine of Kaymoor. I have access to Railroad archives and hand books from the time, all the documentation and modern Rairoad engineers, but we are not sure why the track layout was what it was. It seams illogical to us, but they built itvthat way for a reason. But the reason was never writen down. Perhaps if we have engineers and conductirs and mine. personell run a recreation of it for 10 years or ao we will relearn what they did write down.
Another example. The engines used on the Saturn 5 can not be built today., without a huge amount of work reinventing them. Why? because we dont build that way anymore and the skills of that day are all but gone, and the folks building it didnt leave notes behind of what they thought was common knowledge.
Between the lose of trch yo keep things running, the transportation issues and the lsoe of onowledge with the deaths a WW3 would cause you are blowing giugantic holes in your tech base that you have to work around and fast. You need yo get your Electric, you oil/gas and your food and your transportation all back up and running. As well as every single manufacturer of every criticle part for everything involved inall of this and you have yo do it before aomething fails that you dontvhave a spare part for. Good luck with that.

Oh and where are you getting the FOOD to feed everyone until you get the crops planted and harvested? Those coolers only work if you keep power to them and you only have so many days if food on hand in any city.

one final thought. Lets say you have a guy with the skill to fix your critical machine (you pick, whatever machine you MUST have) but this guy is a diabetic dependent in insoline. Can he pass on hsi skills and knowledge to a replacement before hsi dibetes kills him because your local insulin manufacturing facility was destroyed in the war? Heck maybe you have an insuline plant, but do you have a way to build needles or test his blood sugar? So this guy is on a short window to try and train a replacement. Good luck with that. And remember. In a world like Post WW3 everything you use and build and eat and ware is criticle.

Nope, i am aorry but a full out 1983 WW3 is going to see tech slide back to subsistance farming level and slide quickly.

As Albert Einstien supposadly said. I know not what weapons WW3 will be foght with but WW4 will be foght with Sticks and Stones.

By the Way…. 1983 had a lot more international sales and importation then you seam to think.
Go listen to the Oak Ridge Boys song “My Baby is American Made”. It is a song where the person singing it points out how much stuff he owns is foreign made but is Girl is pur 100% USA.
The aong references auch things as his. Car, Video Game, TV, Blue Jeans, etc.
This song came. out in 1983. it hit #1 on the country charts and 72 on hot 100 in the US and hit #12 in Canada. so yes globalism was already pretty significant in 1983. In the late 90s i worked for a large steel company and it had been shrinking for decades, Due to foreign competition.

Pretty much like the estimates made by the 1970s. Expect full MAD.

Cody of the Alternate Hub did a video regarding the Petrov Incident back:

On the other hand, here are some related threads to 1983 nuclear war scenarios.