WI: Transformers was a mech show?

the original transformers toys were imports from japan of various mecha toys. what if they stayed that way in america, and thus when they were animated, transformers was a mecha show?

Umm... Transformers was a mecha show. It just didn't have pilots or much in the way of human characters, which for mecha at the time was standard. If you mean a more Gundam style show then Voltron is the most likely analog and it did exist in the US.

Umm... Transformers was a mecha show. It just didn't have pilots or much in the way of human characters, which for mecha at the time was standard. If you mean a more Gundam style show then Voltron is the most likely analog and it did exist in the US.
human pilots are usually manditory for mecha shows. otherwise who's gonna pilot the mechs?

human pilots are usually manditory for mecha shows. otherwise who's gonna pilot the mechs?

My point was that the genre was the same the just removed the middle man by giving the mechs personality and character rather then pilots. The stores and characters are almost a perfect example of what a mecha show is like. All I could see being different is that there would be people talking rather then robots

My point was that the genre was the same the just removed the middle man by giving the mechs personality and character rather then pilots. The stores and characters are almost a perfect example of what a mecha show is like. All I could see being different is that there would be people talking rather then robots
Transformers has a great many differences from a standard mecha show. It has more in common with superhero shows

If you want to see Transformers as a mech show, try the Japanese series (Masterforce in paticular) which focused just as much on the headmasters/powermasters as the robots themselves.

Transformers has a great many differences from a standard mecha show. It has more in common with superhero shows

Depends on what you mean by mecha show. The Transformers were very different from the Gundam style "real robot" shows. They did how ever have a lot in common with the "super robot" shows like Gigantor or Mazinger Z (god I feel pretentious).

Depends on what you mean by mecha show. The Transformers were very different from the Gundam style "real robot" shows. They did how ever have a lot in common with the "super robot" shows like Gigantor or Mazinger Z (god I feel pretentious).
yes, but pilots is a prerequisite of a mecha show

NothingNow

Banned
Go tell /m/ Transformers aren't mecha. Hell, TVtropes has Transformers (specifically Optimus Prime) as the image example on multiple pages relating to mecha.

yes, but pilots is a prerequisite of a mecha show

They're robots. Thus, they are Mecha.
Pilots aren't a requirement, and never have been. Not when you've got stuff like the Casshern franchise, and Cutie Honey, hell Astroboy and Tetsujin 28 are the grandfathers of everything mecha, and neither is piloted.

If the Transformers had pilots I can't see what it would change outside its franchise. At most it may allow for an import of the original Mobile Suit Gundam but outside that it likely wouldn't have much effect. It might even be less successful because it would limit marketing. Remember the Transformers were around to sell toys nothing else, if the writers had to come up with new pilots every time they wanted to introduce a new toy it would become way too confusing. With a character whose sole trait is that they turn into a pickup truck then problem solved, but human characters would need real characters beyond "the guy whose robot turns into a truck". So a smaller cast would exist. This could be solved by having one person pilot multiple mechs but that to would be confusing.

Go tell /m/ Transformers aren't mecha. Hell, TVtropes has Transformers (specifically Optimus Prime) as the image example on multiple pages relating to mecha.

They're robots. Thus, they are Mecha.
Pilots aren't a requirement, and never have been. Not when you've got stuff like the Casshern franchise, and Cutie Honey, hell Astroboy and Tetsujin 28 are the grandfathers of everything mecha, and neither is piloted.
transformers are mecha in the noun sense but they don't fit want would be described as the mecha genre. nor do caahern or astro boy

NothingNow

Banned
transformers are mecha in the noun sense but they don't fit want would be described as the mecha genre. nor do caahern or astro boy

JC. LET ME BE LESS THAN POLITE ABOUT THIS. SHUT THE FUCK UP. :mad:

You don't know what you're talking about, and it’s bloody obvious.
Transformers is considered by literally everyone else on the planet, especially it’s creators to be a mecha franchise.

Then, when ever it's pointed out, your response can be entirely summed up by saying "nuh-uh", and moving the goal posts.

You're directly contradicting everything that has ever been established about the genre, and stating things that are completely wrong, based entirely on ignorance of the genre in question and incorrect assumptions.

Thus you're very wrong, and this thread is spectacularly stupid and a waste of time for everyone involved.

JC. LET ME BE LESS THAN POLITE ABOUT THIS. SHUT THE FUCK UP. :mad:

You don't know what you're talking about, and it’s bloody obvious.
Transformers is considered by literally everyone else on the planet, especially it’s creators to be a mecha franchise.

Then, when ever it's pointed out, your response can be entirely summed up by saying "nuh-uh", and moving the goal posts.

You're directly contradicting everything that has ever been established about the genre, and stating things that are completely wrong, based entirely on ignorance of the genre in question and incorrect assumptions.

Thus you're very wrong, and this thread is spectacularly stupid and a waste of time for everyone involved.
Not everything with robots counts as a mecha show. My defination of a mecha show is this: A show where large robots are piloted by humans. that should have been obvious from the OP

Not everything with robots counts as a mecha show. My defination of a mecha show is this: A show where large robots are piloted by humans. that should have been obvious from the OP

Fine here's what would happen: Transformers would hold the same audience as Voltron or Battle of the Planets. There would be literally no noticeably change outside of the limited fan base the show has now.

I now want to know what you think would happen. You have offered nothing in the way of ideas other than to contradict what is accepted genre definitions.

This thread is going nowhere. It's like you created a thread asking what would happen if Star Wars Sci-fi then argued against all arguments that it is Science Fantasy.

Fine here's what would happen: Transformers would hold the same audience as Voltron or Battle of the Planets. There would be literally no noticeably change outside of the limited fan base the show has now.

I now want to know what you think would happen you have offered nothing in the way of ideas other than to contradict what is accepted genre definitions.

This thread is going nowhere. It's like you created a thread asking what would happen if Star Wars Sci-fi then argued against all arguments that it is Science Fantasy.
there was neverany actual discussion goingon. everyone has spent the thread telling me it was already a mecha show, instead of offering anything contructive

there was neverany actual discussion goingon. everyone has spent the thread telling me it was already a mecha show, instead of offering anything contructive

That's because the discussion was everyone trying to tell you the question cannot be answered the way it was asked. If you meant something along the lines of "What if the Transformers had pilots?" then there could be a discussion, but you asked a very specific question about how changing a show from its genre to its genre (or a nearly indistinct genre if you prefer) so the only answer is that nothing noticeable would change.

That's because the discussion was everyone trying to tell you the question cannot be answered the way it was asked. If you meant something along the lines of "What if the Transformers had pilots?" then there could be a discussion, but you asked a very specific question about how changing a show from it genre to its genre (or a nearly indistinct genre if you prefer) so the only answer is that nothing noticeable would change.
the pilots thing should have been obvious from context

the pilots thing should have been obvious from context
How? Really how was that supposed to be infered? The question makes no mention of pilots and as it has been pointed out Mecha shows don't always require pilots. The fact you think it does is apparent now, but that is not the common view. I don't want to drive you off but you are really alienating people when you act like we're the ones who are wrong. I have tried to answer you question after it was better explained to me, and I'll say it again have pilots won't have any change I can for see. Now your turn answer your own question what would change if the Tranformers had pilots?