WI: The General Dynamics F-111 is still born?

Just ask the crew of the Titanic
the ship was built to a very high standard by high quality craftsman. That it suffered a disastrous unplanned journey cessation event was not the fault of the workmanship, it was a fault of the specification !

Other than the overly brittle rivets and the watertight bulkheads that let water flow over the top into the next compartment.
Watertight bulkheads that let water flow over them is a design issue. Brittle rivets would come under quality control. both issues due to the swearword among wastewater operators known as "engineering".

I have the answer to all your needs: TRS2.

We can let you have a whole fleet of them for a VERY reasonable price and being British they will work straight out of the box. Every time. We guarantee you will not spend a penny more than £50m fixing each one. The British Aircraft Corporation stands ready to meet all of your conventional and nuclear weapons delivery needs at high or low level as well as signals intelligence, photographic and aerial reconnaissance concepts you haven't even thought of.

Worried about short or rough field take offs? Don't be. The TRS2 loves these stations especially those east of Suez! Worried about religious insurgents trying to take over some of your oil rich territory? Don't be. TRS-2 is ready made for this type of warfare. It can handle anything and for a unbelievable price! Worried that a supersonic nuclear bomber might be overkill for a small regional conflict? Don't be! TRS2 is happy at high or low speeds and loves dropping conventional bombs on less well armed Marxist or Maoist guerrillas! We have yet to find a left wing revolutionary freedom fighter that TRS-2 wont kill!

This aircraft really is the answer to your prayers. It can fly higher, faster, longer and stronger than anything else on the market and comes with a comprehensive lifetime guarantee. Need bombs and rockets? No problem, we can happily discuss after sales service and spares provision! Why not buy one of our comprehensive support and armaments packages?

Call Westminster 1-11 for more details where our experienced staff are standing by to take your order!
Much as I loved the TSR2, it had issues. They had problems with the rapid throttling causing vibration, they had to delay flight tests as the undercarriage was showing some issues when landing and a lot of the electronics were either not working correctly, the other issue was maintenance issues such as it being a 12 hour + evolution as there was little clearance between engines and fuselage.

The airframe though was spectacular. They would do supersonic low level flights where the Lightning couldn't stick with the TSR2 as they were getting pummelled with low level turbulence and had to climb to a higher altitude.

the Olympus engines had continued to suffer from resonance issues i

Was due to the insistence of going straight to supersonic speed from the get go and not going with a Concorde style work up to supersonic speed?

Sure if it's not a problem if they use reheat to take-off then cruise for a while then hit supersonic when the engines have warmed up!

Did this non stop supersonic travel really need to be in the spec's?

The project was massively over budget and if the Olympus engines had continued to suffer from resonance issues it would never have achieved squadron service. Though politics were an issue.

Agreed!

TSR2 never had to face the music of passing through the whole development stage.

F111 at the stage TSR2 was cancelled was "sweet", and then the wheels fell off.

The avionics of TSR2 were not tested as a complete system, under service conditions.

The high wing loading at low level was not exposed to hours of flight and true fatigue testing.

If the F111 is DOA then the Navy continues with its Fighter/interceptor and the Airforce builds its medium bomber that it wanted. So we get a proto F-14 and a Strike Bomber, Basicly an A-111 or a B-111 in effect with no Fighter DNA. I suspect it will be a replacement for the B-47 and the B-58. Probably turns out very much like the OTL F-111. But a better bomber.

I feel like the F111 never get's the credit it deserves. While yeah it was never going to be a carrier interceptor it was a incredible aircraft that delivered incredible value for decades.

If the F111 is DOA then the Navy continues with its Fighter/interceptor and the Airforce builds its medium bomber that it wanted. So we get a proto F-14 and a Strike Bomber, Basicly an A-111 or a B-111 in effect with no Fighter DNA. I suspect it will be a replacement for the B-47 and the B-58. Probably turns out very much like the OTL F-111. But a better bomber.
I've always liked the idea of a stretched F111 as a sort of American TU22M.