WI: No Hannoverian Dynasty, or Queen Anne of Great Britain has surviving children

Queen Anne famously had 17 pregnancies, with none of her children surviving her. Only five of her pregnancies resulted in a live birth, and only three children lived longer than a few minutes or days after their birth. The remainder were stillborn or miscarriages.

So here is the POD, Queen Anne catches a break and three children survive to adulthood:

Princess Mary, born June 2, 1685;
Princess Anne Sophia, born May 12, 1686; and
Prince William, born July 24, 1689.

In OTL the two princesses died at ages 1 and 2 due to Smallpox, while Prince William died at age 11, also of a disease. Better luck for the princesses, and better luck for William leaves Anne with three living children who reach adulthood.

Queen Anne dies in August 1714, leaving the throne to her son William, who would be 24 years old. His sisters would be around 27 and 28, so already married by the time William ascends the throne.

Would having a secure succession change any calculus or negotiations as the Spanish War of Succession comes to a close? Would the princesses be married domestically, or to foreign royalty?

So what are the impacts of this?

How does English parliamentary government evolve without the introduction of the German Hannoverians? The Hannoverian succession was tied to the ascent of the Whigs and the collapse of the Tories as favoured by Anne, and it was during the Whig ascendancy that such figures as Walpole rose to power. Would the position of Prime Minister even develop under an English Oldenburg King?

Queen Anne was the last monarch to veto a bill, and according to Wikipedia, this was not much commented on at the time. Would her son William maintain that prerogative?

And what about foreign policy? How does a Great Britain, not tied dynastically to the continent, handle it's foreign policy and wars? They don't need to worry about protecting Hannover in this scenario. Would Great Britain even be very involved in HRE politics? The War of Austrian succession is still likely to occur, but would Britain's approach to the war be any different?

William would inherit at the end of War of Spanish succession. Would the relationship with Austria be any different than OTL? What about with Denmark?

In OTL, without children, Parliament passed the Act of Settlement 1701 to prevent a reversion of the throne to a Catholic. With three children, this necessity no longer exists, so the law isn't passed. Could that have may possible repercussions further down the line?

How does English parliamentary government evolve without the introduction of the German Hannoverians? The Hannoverian succession was tied to the ascent of the Whigs and the collapse of the Tories as favoured by Anne, and it was during the Whig ascendancy that such figures as Walpole rose to power. Would the position of Prime Minister even develop under an English Oldenburg King?
this is the Tory wet dream- but no need to change the sheets- it would also mean the Jacobites aren't anywhere near as much of a threat.

Queen Anne was the last monarch to veto a bill, and according to Wikipedia, this was not much commented on at the time. Would her son William maintain that prerogative?
why wouldn't he?

Would having a secure succession change any calculus or negotiations as the Spanish War of Succession comes to a close? Would the princesses be married domestically, or to foreign royalty?
foreign royalty. One of them likely ends up as the wife of Karl VI TTL.

Would Great Britain even be very involved in HRE politics?
England's been involved in them since the reign of Henry I, I see no reason why they'd suddenly stop now.
The War of Austrian succession is still likely to occur,
how so? No guarantee of that with a POD as early as it is. Joseph I's son could be born without hydrocephaly (ironically, same as William, duke of Gloucester), one of his daughters could be a son, Empress Wilhelmine could die in childbirth and he remarries; Karl VI- who'd be Anne's son-in-law here- could have a son.

@Nuraghe @Archduke @Vitruvius @Carp @DrakeRlugia

Anne vetoed the Scottish Militia Bill after being asked to do so by her ministers. A French-backed Jacobite invasion had been spotted, and the government didn't want the weapons ending up in their hands.

No Jacobite uprising, no veto.

However, the development of the position of prime minister would probably take much longer. Walpole was able to gather a lot of power because (A) George I didn't speak much English and (B) he spent a large amount of time out of the country. He basically acted as a de facto viceroy.

With a more present monarch, the monarchy probably remains more politically powerful. Whether that causes further problems down the line...well, that depends. Assuming the Enlightenment still proceeds, there's every chance that something will either force a limiting of royal power, or the formation of a republic.

With regards to the Act of Settlement - the Bill of Rights also barred Catholics (and people who married Catholics) from inheriting the throne. The Act of Settlement was just to make extra sure that the throne went to the Protestant descendants of Sophia of Hanover.

The big question is - does the union between England and Scotland still happen? With Anne having heirs, there is less of a danger of Scotland potentially picking someone else to be their monarch*. However, Scotland might well still go through with the Darien Scheme, which proved to be a very expensive mistake.

*of course, that threat does still exist (the Jacobites are still around, after all). It's just less pressing since there is a more direct heir, instead of having to skip a whole bunch of people to find a suitable Protestant

Who are the likely matches for William- one that looks quite good age wise is Ulrika Eleanora of Sweden, and her marrying an Oldenburg might be enough to make her brother marry Sophia Hedwig of Denmark. I could see them marrying in 1706, when he’s 17 and she’s 18- she’s still not her brothers heir, as her older sister is alive and has a son.

What happens then if the King of Great Britain looks like he’ll inherit the throne of Sweden jure uxoris? Does the thought of union with Britain mean the Swedish are happy to accept Charles Frederick of Holstein Gottorp despite his pro Russian policy? Is this something Europe would go to war over so soon after the WoSS?

If such a union were to take place the monarch would reside primarily in london, which could have interesting effects on Swedish internal politics- I want to say it strengthens the cap faction, who would probably be the ones championing Ulrika Eleanoras claim in their quest to limit the monarchy and prevent unnecessary wars. An English king isn’t going to drag them to war against Russia. The caps also opposed France and wanted to draw closer to the UK, which England would be happy to support. All this indicates that should William press a claim, even if some factions in Sweden want to elect someone else, there wouldn’t be zero support for him.

Who are the likely matches for William- one that looks quite good age wise is Ulrika Eleanora of Sweden, and her marrying an Oldenburg might be enough to make her brother marry Sophia Hedwig of Denmark. I could see them marrying in 1706, when he’s 17 and she’s 18- she’s still not her brothers heir, as her older sister is alive and has a son.

What happens then if the King of Great Britain looks like he’ll inherit the throne of Sweden jure uxoris? Does the thought of union with Britain mean the Swedish are happy to accept Charles Frederick of Holstein Gottorp despite his pro Russian policy? Is this something Europe would go to war over so soon after the WoSS?

If such a union were to take place the monarch would reside primarily in london, which could have interesting effects on Swedish internal politics- I want to say it strengthens the cap faction, who would probably be the ones championing Ulrika Eleanoras claim in their quest to limit the monarchy and prevent unnecessary wars. An English king isn’t going to drag them to war against Russia. The caps also opposed France and wanted to draw closer to the UK, which England would be happy to support. All this indicates that should William press a claim, even if some factions in Sweden want to elect someone else, there wouldn’t be zero support for him.
no offense, but can we just hang off getting bogged down in the "who marries whom" details for a bit? Your points are valid, but it's one of those subjects that tends to divert the thread from the OP's intention (I freely admit that I started it by mentioning Anne's daughter as a potential Mrs. Karl VI. And I apologize), but the political ramifications of William's survival are big enough in Britain that I feel like those need to be evaluated first to get a clear picture before we go into "who marries whom".

How would Hanover develop with the Hannoverians remaining in Hannover?

as regards your first question, I recognize that there are people far more knowledgeable than me on the matter, at least with regard to the future developments of Great Britain ( if Anna wants to push for something like the Otl Act of Union, but with a succession, it will seem less of immediate importance ) certainly without the legacy of Hanover ( which would in many respects be more of a good thing for the latter than for London ) England would be less """ forced "''" to take part in European conflicts ( even if the Netherlands still exists ) furthermore the majority of wars were started by the will of English interests or to weaken a specific adversary of London ( mainly France ), certainly not by Hanover ( furthermore London shamelessly exploited the resources of the Electorate for its purposes, particularly in the colonial context and in its maintenance of "the Protestant interest", which served two purposes : to strengthen London in diplomatic affairs with the members of the HRE ( with the aim that none of the Catholic powers could represent a threat to the British Isles ) and in the internal propaganda of the kingdom ( considering how anti-papism was used at a state level to legitimize every political move, it is easy to understand that being seen as the " main defenders of Protestant freedoms " was a normal thing for the ruling faction to use to strengthen their position in times of political crisis ), now returning to Hanover, I can quite confidently assume that while losing the extra prestige and influence of Otl ( which was guaranteed by being king of Great Britain ) the Welfs will be far freer to vary their policies within the Reich, so as to be able to oppose the Prussian ambitions, given that they are direct competitors for supremacy within the corpus evangelicum ( especially after the conversion of Saxony ) and in northern Germany, if we consider how many attempts in OTL to increase the fortunes of the Electorate were sacrificed due to the British interest ( or perhaps it is more correct to say, of the parliament ) and their foreign policy agenda ( what is even more absurd is that most of the sometimes the sovereign was enormously supportive of these projects, but the parliamentarians feared that it might become too difficult to control, so they acted in a roundabout way to prevent this from happening ) although I see the Hanoverians slightly ahead given the support that Vienna will give to them ( the Habsburgs began to be suspicious of the Hohenzollerns already under Leopold I, especially after they came into possession of territories on the Rhine ( thus becoming the second dynasty, capable of projecting influence in more than one imperial circle, certainly there were also the Wittelsbachs, who could also influence the imperial church, but relations between the two family branches were notoriously bad, which allowed Vienna to play against each other ), finally there is the question of the Jacobites, but technically if the situation in London is considered stable enough ( even by external observers ) then it is likely that the opportunity for a backup plan will open up for JFES, which would see him become a prince medium level Italian

Last edited:
Anne having surviving children makes some changes to Britain’s Parliamentary government—but not as major as say, a POD where James II stays around or Charles II having a male heir. You still have the Glorious Revolution, Bill of Rights, Triennial Act, ect—so things are already moving in the direction of Parliamentary sovereignty; the days of monarchs dissolving Parliament and proroguing them for years on end would be a thing of the past.

Anne’s daughters will marry foreign husbands, not domestically. There is no reason for them to marry domestically and there will be a need to secure alliances as they come of age during the War of the Spanish Succession. For her son, a Protestant German Princess is the likely bet.

As for the Austrian succession… as Kellan already stated, a POD in the 1680s will have plenty of butterfly effects. It’s totally possible that Joseph I has living issue—his son could survive or perhaps he’s luckier and doesn’t get a veneral disease. If that still does happen, there’s still a chance Charles VI has male issue—hell, by the 1710s there’s no telling how many surviving kids he might have. There’s absolutely no guarantee he’d still have Maria Theresa and she would be the exact same as IOTL.

Anne having surviving children makes some changes to Britain’s Parliamentary government—but not as major as say, a POD where James II stays around or Charles II having a male heir. You still have the Glorious Revolution, Bill of Rights, Triennial Act, ect—so things are already moving in the direction of Parliamentary sovereignty; the days of monarchs dissolving Parliament and proroguing them for years on end would be a thing of the past.
the Stuarts might get the Este lands with no Hannoverians in London, so that's already a change.
perhaps he’s luckier and doesn’t get a veneral disease.
or he just avoids his death from smallpox- which was about as freak an accident as the deaths of Louis XV's parents and grandfather

As for foreign policy and the War of the Spanish Succession I would at first tend to think that not much changes. The French were willing to throw the Jacobites overboard IOTL to get a separate peace with England so they could easily recognize the succession of Anne's son to secure a deal. And her falling out with Marlboroughs and move towards the Tories would probably still happen. I don't know what anyone else thinks.

The only wild card I foresee is the role of her son. William would be in his 20s and likely Prince of Wales towards the end of the war. So which side would he come down on? Presumably he has a court or faction of his own by the 1710s. Would he align with Tories or the Whigs? In favor of continuing the war alongside the Austrians or cutting a separate peace with France? As Anne's health declines it seems likely that his role and influence will grow. So his position on the issues of the day would be important to consider.

As for Hanover it probably remains aligned with Austria. Its a weaker electorate vs Brandenburg and has more to gain to clinging to the Habsburg side. I don't know if the lack of royal title does much to the political dynamics in the HRE. There was IOTL a kind of arms race where all the major electors strove for elevation to Royal dignity. Brandenburg became King in Prussia, Saxony became King of Poland, Hanover became King of Great Britain and Bavaria tried variously for Poland, Spain, Sicily and eventually Austria itself. And Savoy gained Sicily/Sardinia to move beyond its pretensions to Cyprus. So I wonder if Hanover joins Bavaria in the insecure/striving camp of major Imperial Princes looking for advancement in order to keep pace with their peers.

just recalled something that @Valena pointed out: Anne Sophia and Mary's deaths in 1688 was due to smallpox. Them surviving is likely that it was due to them not catching it in the first place rather than recovering. If the latter, that means likely they weren't exposed to the infection at Windsor in 1688, which would also mean that Anne's pregnancy of that year carries to term (think it was a miscarried son). So she could have two healthy sons and two healthy daughters

That's a good point. And perhaps Anne's health is better and/or she lives longer. So her reign could be quite different.

Also I wonder if George II still ends up marrying Caroline of Ansbach. I believe she was fairly adamant in turning down Archduke Charles on religious grounds but would George's diminished prospects (if he has no hope of succeeding Anne) make him less appealing or is that still the best match for her?

That's a good point. And perhaps Anne's health is better and/or she lives longer. So her reign could be quite different.

Also I wonder if George II still ends up marrying Caroline of Ansbach. I believe she was fairly adamant in turning down Archduke Charles on religious grounds but would George's diminished prospects (if he has no hope of succeeding Anne) make him less appealing or is that still the best match for her?
She could still marry Georg and he could be KIA like he almost was at... ICR if it was Ramillies or Malplaquet. I know JFES was in the opposing army. Such a change would mean next heir to Hannover (would Georg I remarry with no English throne in prospect) is the Catholic Max Wilhelm (who wanted to marry an archduchess but both Joseph I and Karl VI refused)

The only wild card I foresee is the role of her son. William would be in his 20s and likely Prince of Wales towards the end of the war. So which side would he come down on? Presumably he has a court or faction of his own by the 1710s. Would he align with Tories or the Whigs? In favor of continuing the war alongside the Austrians or cutting a separate peace with France? As Anne's health declines it seems likely that his role and influence will grow. So his position on the issues of the day would be important to consider.
unfortunately, the only Stuart we know of that went out of their way to "oppose" their parent (in the Hannoverian fashion) was James I's eldest son, the much lauded, Henry Frederick, who deliberately ranged himself with his father's opposition. There's no proof that William would do the same. Or that Anne would exclude him from government as Victoria did Bertie (or William III did Anne until around 1697*). Hell, Anne could use including him in the government as an "excuse" to prevent him from gathering a faction of opposition around him. At least if he's in government (perhaps succeeding his father as Lord High Admiral?), even if he doesn't have any "authority", she's got a means of keeping an eye on him (and preventing him from being the lightning rod for the opposition).

*the year of his first offer to adopt JFES IIRC. Or at least, meeting with Electress Sophia about the succession.

One possible interesting issue re: William surviving could be his relationship with the Marlboroughs and how his political views are effected? Marlborough was after all named his governor, and Marlborough's son the Marquess of Blandford was William's Master of the Horse and a friend and playmate. It's quite possible with the two growing up together, they could become very close friends: assuming Blandford lives longer than OTL. The presence of Anne's later favorite, Abigail Masham, was also present in William's household: Abigail as his laundress and her brother Jack Hill as a gentleman of the bedchamber. It could certainly be complicated if William is close to Blandford and his mother still has a falling out with the Duchess of Marlborough. I know that Anne fought William III pretty hard to ensure she had adequate say over her sons household: wanting High Church clergymen, for instance, and not the Low Church men that William III initially recommended. I could see him comfortably at home with either faction, depending on how his education plays out and who has the most say and influence over it.

One possible interesting issue re: William surviving could be his relationship with the Marlboroughs and how his political views are effected? Marlborough was after all named his governor, and Marlborough's son the Marquess of Blandford was William's Master of the Horse and a friend and playmate. It's quite possible with the two growing up together, they could become very close friends: assuming Blandford lives longer than OTL. The presence of Anne's later favorite, Abigail Masham, was also present in William's household: Abigail as his laundress and her brother Jack Hill as a gentleman of the bedchamber. It could certainly be complicated if William is close to Blandford and his mother still has a falling out with the Duchess of Marlborough. I know that Anne fought William III pretty hard to ensure she had adequate say over her sons household: wanting High Church clergymen, for instance, and not the Low Church men that William III initially recommended. I could see him comfortably at home with either faction, depending on how his education plays out and who has the most say and influence over it.
Could go either way TBH.

If Blandford still dies Churchill locking onto Gloucester wouldn't be the craziest case of transference imaginable. How Gloucester regards being a "replacement" son is debatable.

If Blandford lives, Gloucester could either view the Churchills as a second family (à la Maine and Madame de Maintenon, Elizabeth and Kat Ashley, Napoléon II and Maman Quiou (Montesquieu)). Or he could view them as "Jack [Blandford], I'm friends with you. Not your parents or sisters".

Or Blandford and Gloucester could have their own falling out (teenage boys, hormones, girls, the teen drama practically writes itself) predating (or even triggering) their mothers'. Sarah insisting Jack was only reacting to Gloucester, Anne insisting that Jack shouldnt have reacted ro the Prince of Wales in any case, even if he was provoked

POD (s) and the Austrian situation:

certainly, tiny butterflies can cause tiny ripples that can cause big changes, but, there needs to be cause and effect. There's no reason to think children not in power, or barely in power are going to affect diseases and births a continent away in the first 10-15 years of the 18th century. How does having a living William alter an outbreak of smallpox in Austria in 1711? How does having living princes/princesses alter the sex life and or egg/sperm combination of Joseph in Austria? I'm not a fan of secondary butterfly effects that seemingly have no root cause from the main POD.

The BIG potential secondary POD is if one of the English princesses marries a Habsburg. Joseph probably isn't likely due to the age difference and Joseph marrying when the princesses were so young. Charles is of similar age, though. Religion is an issue. The princess chosen for his wife would almost certainly have to convert, and this is the height of the anti-Catholic sentiment of the era in England. IF such a match goes through, there's huge butterflies in play.

Otherwise, sans a English-Austrian marriage, the butterflies (as pertains to the deaths/births in question) are likely to be small, and unlikely to affect the births /deaths.

The next generation has more opportunity to have the ripples take hold as the TTL surviving English could potentially disrupt OTL marriages. It probably doesn't alter the succession crisis in Austria, but with the Hannover/English political situations being very different, and there's been a couple wars that are up for change (War of Quadruple Alliance - not likely to change - and WoPolishS- quite possible to change) and this could affect the situation at the death of Charles. Since Frederick the Great was born prior to the reign of William, I lump his birth in the same situation as the Austrian births of the time...unlikely to change.

The death of Charles (Austria) is up for change. IF it was an accidental poisoning by mushrooms, anything that alters his OTL daily schedule, which is very possible, means his death is avoided in 1740. IF it was an intentional assassination, especially a planned one, rather than a crime of opportunity, it is much harder to butterfly his death. Change his death date, especially by years/decade, the WoAS is much different. Just altering the British/Hannover political situations will likely change the war, even if it kicks off as OTL.

Joseph marrying when the princesses were so young. Charles is of similar age, though. Religion is an issue. The princess chosen for his wife would almost certainly have to convert, and this is the height of the anti-Catholic sentiment of the era in England. IF such a match goes through, there's huge butterflies in play.
Joseph wouldn't marry her. He refused to marry any woman who converted OTL, equating it as "if a woman cannot be faithful to her religion, why would she be faithful to anything else?"

Karl, however, would be able to marry her. And in all likelihood, might marry her before Leopold I dies*. His Portuguese fiancée died of typhoid in 1704- assuming they ever get together in the first place- and an Anglo match would certainly be available from 1700.

*Leopold I likely would not expect the full Tridentine conversion that Joseph I/Anton Ulrich forced on Elisabeth Christine (Leo certainly gave no indication of Mary II being obligated to convert in such a way when their marriage talks were happening back in the 1670s). Then again, an Anglo princess would likely be high church Anglican (like Anne herself was), so it wouldn't be as big an adjustment from that to Catholicism.

War of Quadruple Alliance - not likely to change
actually it would. Since the main reason that France and England banded together at this point was against the Jacobites supported by Spain. The Jacobites are going to be a lot less powerful/a threat to William IV than they were to George I. They can't use the excuse that he's a foreigner or that he's broken the line of the succession (aside from the whole Glorious Revolution bit) and in all likelihood, the Tories are on his side (not James').

Also, OTL, it was while England and Austria were allied that Karl VI allowed Clementina Sobieska to marry James.

Personally, I don't think we can posit things remaining the same after Gloucester's OTL death (William III's is stretching it IMO). England has an heir and two princesses available where OTL it didn't. The only way that isn't going to affect alliances and treaties is if the girls marry domestic no-accounts

Joseph wouldn't marry her. He refused to marry any woman who converted OTL, equating it as "if a woman cannot be faithful to her religion, why would she be faithful to anything else?"

Karl, however, would be able to marry her. And in all likelihood, might marry her before Leopold I dies*. His Portuguese fiancée died of typhoid in 1704- assuming they ever get together in the first place- and an Anglo match would certainly be available from 1700.

*Leopold I likely would not expect the full Tridentine conversion that Joseph I/Anton Ulrich forced on Elisabeth Christine (Leo certainly gave no indication of Mary II being obligated to convert in such a way when their marriage talks were happening back in the 1670s). Then again, an Anglo princess would likely be high church Anglican (like Anne herself was), so it wouldn't be as big an adjustment from that to Catholicism.

actually it would. Since the main reason that France and England banded together at this point was against the Jacobites supported by Spain. The Jacobites are going to be a lot less powerful/a threat to William IV than they were to George I. They can't use the excuse that he's a foreigner or that he's broken the line of the succession (aside from the whole Glorious Revolution bit) and in all likelihood, the Tories are on his side (not James').

Also, OTL, it was while England and Austria were allied that Karl VI allowed Clementina Sobieska to marry James.

Personally, I don't think we can posit things remaining the same after Gloucester's OTL death (William III's is stretching it IMO). England has an heir and two princesses available where OTL it didn't. The only way that isn't going to affect alliances and treaties is if the girls marry domestic no-accounts
A factor in a princess bride for Karl, conversion, is that the WoSS is going on, looking to put Karl on the throne of Spain, meaning she'd be Queen. They're trying to win the hearts of the Spanish to put them on the Habsburg side. A half arse conversion may not sit well. It isn't going to decide the war, but it may be a minor factor. Not saying the marriage proposal is dead on arrival, but there may be issues. Aside from religion, there's two for/against political reasonings. the dynastic marriage may be seen (from an Austrian POV) as good because it would cement the alliance, and give England an additional reason to put more gusto into their fight, as it would be fighting to put an English princess on the Spanish throne (as wife of the King, not a co-ruler). On the flip side, Austria may not want the princess being a source of English meddling in a Habsburg realm. Again, not saying this marriage is, or isn't, likely. Just pointing out it may not be a slam dunk match. If it does go through, a LOT changes, especially if it happens during the WoSS.

Disagree on the WoQA. There were multiple reasons, but the overall reason was to stop a resurgence of Spain, especially in Italy. Although France leaned pro Britain during the Regency period, as Orleans had a fear/dislike of Philip, I don't think they'd be too upset to see the Jacobites cause trouble in Britain. France and England weren't that tight in their quasi alliance. Besides, the Jacobite invasion was never all that serious an affair. More of Spain supporting a diversion just enough to be a nuisance. As you say, in TTL, the Jacobites may not be much of a threat. If things go pretty much the same (assuming the WoSS concludes the same, with Philip on the Spanish throne, with Farnese as his Queen), and the only change is no Jacobite uprising in that year, the WoQA still happens, including France as part of the Alliance.

Here's an outside the box possibility: Assuming Philip's first wife dies on schedule in 1714, and if one of the princesses is still available, Britain may insist on a marriage to Philip as part of the peace. The timing is tight, maybe a little too far off, as the peace was pretty much a done deal in 1713, but I'm guessing Maria Luisa is obviously destined to be a goner due to tuberculosis, so maybe. Probably a whacko idea, but wouldn't be the first time enemies arranged a marriage as part of the peace.

Yes, once William takes the helm, (which may happen earlier than Anne's death, as she was in poor health, so William's influence is going to increase, even if he's not de facto King waiting for Mom to die to make it official), the butterfly ripples will really change things regarding policy, both domestic and foreign. Same in Hannover.

Last edited: