WI: Kennedy Half-Dollar Converted To Base Metal in 1966?

For some background, historically the half-dollar coin was fairly heavily used, but after Kennedy's assassination the conversion of the design to one featuring him led to a massive surge of interest in collection by people around the country. The Mint produced a huge (for the time) number of half-dollar coins to try to absorb the demand, but a large fraction of them seem to have been collected or hoarded, so that circulation plummeted. For production starting in 1966 the Mint switched from a 90% silver composition to a 40% in order to make it easier and cheaper to produce large numbers of coins. However, many still vanished into hoards and collections, and circulation remained low, inducing the Mint to keep production low in order to save silver. Eventually, after a few years of this they converted the half-dollar entirely to base metals like other American coins starting in 1971 and tried to restart usage of the half-dollar coin, but the damage was done: low circulation meant that banks and businesses had essentially given up the equipment needed to handle the half-dollar, and people were used to not using the half-dollar any longer. The coin continues to be struck up to the current day, with several billion having been produced over the past fifty years, but has been completely supplanted by the quarter as the standard "large-denomination" coin that most people encounter in day-to-day business.

So, my question is, what would happen if the Mint converted the half-dollar entirely to base metal from the beginning of 1966 onwards, instead of waiting until 1971 and, freed of the perceived need to maintain national silver supplies, continues minting them in large quantities (100s of millions of coins)? This does not seem so implausible to me given that it was obvious that there was enormous demand for the coin (the Mint had already increased the number of coins from an initially planned 90 million to some 430 million to handle interest) and that the dime and quarter were being converted to pure base metals at the same time. Converting the Kennedy half-dollar to base metals would help reduce speculation and hoarding by eliminating any interest in holding them for their silver value, while at the same time easing concerns over the quantity of silver being consumed to make a coin that wasn't circulating in the economy, allowing the Mint to produce more of them.

If this happens, it seems to me that hoarding demand would let up fairly soon just from pretty much everyone having their souvenir half-dollar, and they might start to get back into the economy in a serious way. If there's only a brief interruption in speculation thanks to the hoarding craze, then equipment like vending machines, cash registers, and the like will be a lot more likely to be able to handle half-dollars by the late 1960s and early 1970s, which in turn will make using the coins much more convenient than it actually was by the time that serious minting resumed. In this case, it might remain a fairly popular ordinary coin up to the present day, or even surpass the quarter thanks to inflation in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Riain

Banned
Sometime later, perhaps with the bicentennial or in the 80s, the US successfully phases out the $1 note in favour of the $1 coin and maybe the $2 note. Strippers, wait staff and homeless all get richer!

The Government reacts to this injection of cash into the 'tip economy' by increasing minimum wage for 'tip' jobs so they can get their cut.

Many countries switched their silver coins to base metal after the Gold Standard ended, especially after World War II made such "luxuries" too expensive. However, many of those countries kept a high denomination coin in silver (though usually a smaller percentage than before) as a "prestige" coin, so the US was working off that precedent with the half dollar. Whether the Kennedy image had anything to do with the decision to make the half dollar a "prestige" coin or not, I do not know.

For examples (Only counting coins meant to circulate, not bullion or commemorative coins specifically meant for collectors):

Mexico stubbornly hung onto a silver peso, if you can call it that (it was 10% silver by the end), until 1970.
The 50 centavo denomination went from 30% silver to bronze in 1951.
The 20 centavo coin went from 72% silver (standard for all Mexican coins of the day) in 1943.
The 10 centavo coin went from 72% silver to copper-nickel in 1935.

France had a 5 franc coin of 83.5% silver until 1969 and a 10 franc coin of 90% silver until 1973, a 50 franc coin (90%) until 1980, and a 100 franc coin (90%) until 2001.
Silver had been abandoned for all old denominations in 1938. (There was a currency reform in 1960 creating a new franc, so not directly comparable.)

West Germany had a 5 mark coin in 62.5% silver until 1974. The Nazis abandoned silver coinage in 1939. (Again, not directly comparable.)

Counter WI: WI the US brought back the Peace silver dollar as the "prestige coin" and made the Kennedy half base metal right away?

Many countries switched their silver coins to base metal after the Gold Standard ended, especially after World War II made such "luxuries" too expensive. However, many of those countries kept a high denomination coin in silver (though usually a smaller percentage than before) as a "prestige" coin, so the US was working off that precedent with the half dollar. Whether the Kennedy image had anything to do with the decision to make the half dollar a "prestige" coin or not, I do not know.
On the other hand, most of the coins you list were either the largest denomination or were worth more than the Kennedy half-dollar, so it's not obvious why the 50-cent piece needed to hold on to its silver content, especially given the black hole of demand that had developed.

Besides, the whole notion of a "prestige coin" is kind of silly, so it's not like a "WI: They don't care about this silly thing" is a ridiculous idea...

Counter WI: WI the US brought back the Peace silver dollar as the "prestige coin" and made the Kennedy half base metal right away?
Sure, what if that happened?

Riain

Banned
When Australia switched to decimal currency in 1966 the 50c coin was 80% silver, but not long after it was released the price of silver went up so the coin was worth 76c. It was for this reason rather than emotions that led to these coins being hoardedand replacedwith base metal.

Did similar happen to the Kennedy 50c, where the silver content was worth more than the face value?

The US Mint still makes silver mint sets where the half, quarter and dimes are still 90% silver. They are produced for the collector markets.

The US Mint still makes silver mint sets where the half, quarter and dimes are still 90% silver. They are produced for the collector markets.
Yes, but the American Eagles are not relevant to the question I was asking, or to about 99% of the population. I was discussing circulating currency, and you'd have to not realize what you were holding to spend a silver coin nowadays.

When Australia switched to decimal currency in 1966 the 50c coin was 80% silver, but not long after it was released the price of silver went up so the coin was worth 76c. It was for this reason rather than emotions that led to these coins being hoardedand replacedwith base metal.

Did similar happen to the Kennedy 50c, where the silver content was worth more than the face value?
Probably, since it was the same time frame. It certainly happened by the late 1970s, when a lot of the older silver half-dollars were melted down.

Sometime later, perhaps with the bicentennial or in the 80s, the US successfully phases out the $1 note in favour of the $1 coin and maybe the $2 note. Strippers, wait staff and homeless all get richer!

The Government reacts to this injection of cash into the 'tip economy' by increasing minimum wage for 'tip' jobs so they can get their cut.
You would have to revamp cash register drawers some, to add 2 new coins. If you do get rid of one dollar bills, it could work

If the US can get to the moon, it can revamp cash register drawers and vending machines.
Existing drawers already have room for the 50c coin. If the $1 bill goes away, there would be room for a $1 coin. The main problem right now is that neither coin circulates much.

Riain

Banned
Existing drawers already have room for the 50c coin. If the $1 bill goes away, there would be room for a $1 coin. The main problem right now is that neither coin circulates much.

Thats if the US make use of the $2 note alongside the $1 coin.

Thats if the US make use of the $2 note alongside the $1 coin.
Hmmm... assuming most us cash drawers are like the ones i’ve worked with over the years, there would just be room for that, and bills up to $20. But there wouldn’t be room for extra rolls of change. Minor problem in these days of declining cash sales, bigger problem in the past...

Now I have this image of strippers being pelted with $1 coins.

On the other hand, most of the coins you list were either the largest denomination or were worth more than the Kennedy half-dollar, so it's not obvious why the 50-cent piece needed to hold on to its silver content, especially given the black hole of demand that had developed.

Besides, the whole notion of a "prestige coin" is kind of silly, so it's not like a "WI: They don't care about this silly thing" is a ridiculous idea...

Sure, what if that happened?

The half dollar was the largest denomination in the US in 1965. The silver dollar was abolished in 1935, though brought back in base metal in 1971. The gold denominations ended in 1933.

A better alternative WI would be "WI: the Peace silver dollar was brought back as the "prestige" coin?" The US Mint in OTL considered bringing back the Peace dollar and actually minted quite a few in 1964, but decided not to release them and instead melted them all down. This was done before the decision to change the lower denominations, so "prestige" wasn't the apparent intent.....

A better alternative WI would be "WI: the Peace silver dollar was brought back as the "prestige" coin?" The US Mint in OTL considered bringing back the Peace dollar and actually minted quite a few in 1964, but decided not to release them and instead melted them all down. This was done before the decision to change the lower denominations, so "prestige" wasn't the apparent intent.....
You already brought this up, and I already said it sounded interesting, so why are you acting like it's something completely new?

But I still don't think it's quite as silly as you seem to think to consider a WI where people stop worrying about something absurd like a coin's "prestige" when they're making practical decisions like what metals to make a coin out of. What does it matter if a coin is base metal or precious metal, and what does it matter if it's the largest denomination or not, the actual value and utility is all completely arbitrary and socially decided anyway. If anything, base metal is better because it tends to be more durable and less attractive for people wanting the melt them down. And given that they did, in fact, give up on precious metals in coins a few years later, I don't think it's ridiculous for Mint officials to make the same decision only a little earlier.

You already brought this up, and I already said it sounded interesting, so why are you acting like it's something completely new?

But I still don't think it's quite as silly as you seem to think to consider a WI where people stop worrying about something absurd like a coin's "prestige" when they're making practical decisions like what metals to make a coin out of. What does it matter if a coin is base metal or precious metal, and what does it matter if it's the largest denomination or not, the actual value and utility is all completely arbitrary and socially decided anyway. If anything, base metal is better because it tends to be more durable and less attractive for people wanting the melt them down. And given that they did, in fact, give up on precious metals in coins a few years later, I don't think it's ridiculous for Mint officials to make the same decision only a little earlier.

I apologize for the repetitiousness of my post. The first time, I had forgotten that the US Mint actually minted Peace dollars in 1964 and melted them down without distributing them. That's why I brought it up again, to add that detail. I probably should have just edited the original.

As to the silliness of a "prestige" coin, please consider the context. Historically, the value of a coin was based on its metal content. The ideal was considered to be face value = metal value. That changed a bit with the end of the Gold Standard. However, substituting base metals for silver was still considered evidence that a country's economy wasn't doing too well. Nowadays, most people couldn't care less what their coins are made of but that wasn't the case in the US in the 1960s. The new dime and quarter were derisively called "Johnson slugs", "slug" being a slang term for a fake coin used to rip off vending machines and "Johnson" being POTUS at the time, though he had little to do with the decision to change the coins.

Last edited: