WI: Germany kept its monarchy after WW1?

In 1918, shortly before Germany's unconditional surrender to the Western Allies, Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated and went into exile. The German monarchy, and its nobility as a legally-defined class, were abolished, and Germany was proclaimed a republic with the adoption of the Weimar Constitution. This was done because US President Woodrow Wilson had implied that Wilhelm's abdication would be a prerequisite for any armistice or surrender.

But what if the Allies accepted German surrender without requiring Wilhelm's abdication? Or, what if Wilhelm himself abdicated in favour of one of his heirs?

The House of Hohenzollern, especially Wilhelm II, were in a crisis of legitimacy in 1918, and faced growing dissent. But they still had institutional as well as popular support. The landed aristocracy, the military leadership, and German industrialists supported them -- but all of these institutions would be significantly weakened by the post-war circumstances, with the Treaty of Versailles, the German Debt Crisis, etc. Now, I don't believe that the public outrage against the monarchy was so intense that it'd be overthrown in dramatic fashion (like the Russian or Ottoman monarchies), but there would certainly be a growing Leftist movement which the German Empire would have to deal with.

What do you all think? How would a surviving German Empire deal with the conditions imposed by the Treaty of Versailles, with foreign debt, with post-war international relations (e.g., the Danzig Question or the existence of the USSR), and the spread of Leftist movements like the Spartakusbund?

Germany would be still enforced to sign whatever Treaty of Versailles what for that is offered. It has not really chances to negotiate. But perhaps Brits have bit more willingful to enforce bit milder terms.

Politically German Empire would be still pretty chaotic altough not that badly as Weimar. Risk for rise of far-right wing government is still notable. Hitler anyway probably wouldn't become chancellor since Kaiser hardly would appoint Austrian guy to such position and probably even lesser if Hitler shows his anti-monarchist tendencies.

The House of Hohenzollern, especially Wilhelm II, were in a crisis of legitimacy in 1918, and faced growing dissent. ...
The 'growing dissent ... a better word used id 'revolution'.
Regardless if there might have been whoever or whatever 'House' succeeding Kaiser Bill would be overthrown by the revolution, Whatever goverment forms - most likely an SPD one as IOTL - none would call another monarch as 'Kaiser' for the union of german states of whatever constitution.

About the dissent against the House Hohenzollern ... nope. It was if anything a personal matter aka:
most 'dissented' member of the House => Kaiser Bill​
second most 'dissented' of the House => the Crownprince​
The rest of the lot was in different degree even popular (not at least even the IMHO greatest Chancellor of post WW2 Germany was wearing a 'Prince Heinrich' cap).
IF ... for whatever reasons a goverment chooses to keep on with a monarch (being able to enforce its choice throughout the german realm) this Wilhelm would have been a popular and even by the bavarians accepted Kaiser as the Kaiser - throne was rather firmly perceived as a Hohenzollern affair by almost everyone.

However ... best another 'monarch of Germany' could expect was a position similar to the british crown (possibly even less powerfull). Therefore aside some 'propagandistical' functions he wouldn't have much if any say in the german realms political doings (aside perhaps some question of expropriation of princes).

I was under the impression that Chancellor Friedrich Ebert didn't want to abolish the monarchy, but was going to appoint a regent and transform Germany into a full constitutional monarchy. But it was someone in his party who proclaimed the establishment of the republic without Ebert's consent. If this didn't happen, I'd think Ebert would keep the monarchy, but change the constitution to make the Chancellor responsible to the Reichstag. Wilhelm II's grandson Wilhelm would probably be the Kaiser but have no power.

I was under the impression that Chancellor Friedrich Ebert didn't want to abolish the monarchy, but was going to appoint a regent and transform Germany into a full constitutional monarchy. But it was someone in his party who proclaimed the establishment of the republic without Ebert's consent. If this didn't happen, I'd think Ebert would keep the monarchy, but change the constitution to make the Chancellor responsible to the Reichstag. Wilhelm II's grandson Wilhelm would probably be the Kaiser but have no power.
There was a proposal for a Regency for Louis Ferdinand. Perhaps a horthy style figure.

I thought of a TL where Wilhelm the Third died on the Western Front in 1918 for whatever reason (car crash on a muddy road/Spanish Flu/assassination by soldier sick of the war/etc.) leading to Wilhelm the Second to commit suicide. Grim I know but Wilhelm doesn’t seem like the most mentally stable guy especially not late in the war.
This leaves Wilhelm the 4th on the throne with a regent. The monarchy either survives by the skin of its teeth or it is abolish but restored sometime in the 1930s by Wilhelm the 4th or Louis Ferdinand because the monarchy in ttl was abolished at the point of allied (American) guns instead of cowardly (or seen that way) abdication