Wi: Coffee targeted as a drug.

Now what if they target sugar as a drug? The Hyper Elementary Schooler's Revolution would be inevitable after the Great Sugar Crash...

I don't know how much that would contribute to the violence. That's like trying to picture teenagers rioting after being denied their snapchat or tiktok.
I wouldn't expect rioting in either case: the teens would be unable to organise without social media, while the adults would know how to organise but without coffee would lack the drive and energy.

For the United States - maybe a significantly larger and more politically powerful Mormon church?
Expand on that plox
The LDS Church is opposed not just to alcohol but to caffeinated drinks as well.

Some points:
The LDS Church allows alcohol but only (officially) through local "State Liquor Stores" though this has been expanded over time to allow beer and wine to be sold in Supermarkets and other outlets with "proper license and applications". (When I first got stationed here back in '86 you could be 'busted' by the local police for carrying alcohol you purchased on base at the "Class Six" liquor store due to it being "above" approved levels)

The "caffeinated drinks" opposition is much less stringent than the alcohol opposition to the point where the LDS Church owns significant stock in Pepsi Co. :)

Getting coffee treated as a "real" drug is much harder than alcohol as you can point to cases of alcohol abuse and victims but that's much harder to do with coffee.

Randy

Yeah yeah, but how could they do that? Maybe elect a Mormon like F Bennet and have him to pass that law?

That president should get support of Congress and Supreme Court to declare that as constitutional. And making that amendment to constitution would be even harder. Alcohol prohibition was really unpopular almost from beginning. Coffee prohibition would be outright impossible and if president tries to push that, he will lost next election.

I'd be scr.....ed

Sugar has indeed more negative health problems than coffee but not sure if it is realistic without much earlier POD.

I could believe that European Union or European Green parties, start to campaign against Coffee !
Since they manage to ban smoking and alcohol in EU, they could take Coffee and Tea next...

If they will be successful ? NOPE
it just like EU ban on deep-fry and roasting of foodstuffs, like bread, coffee beans, malt for beer and chips.
But the EU bureaucrats they realised to there horror, there offices were in Nations were populations deep-fry there food.
The Dutch, Belgian and French threaten to burn down some EU Offices...

I'd be scr.....ed
giphy.gif

...and I need an alternative (alongside Eko and hot chocolate).

Hello guys, so, I'm from Brazil, and one thing we really like is coffee, in fact Brazil alone has 67% of the coffee production in the world, and it is used for drinks, cake, biscuits and even bread.
Wait you guys actually use coffee for EVERYTHING?

Wait you guys actually use coffee for EVERYTHING?
Well, yes but actually no

Like, you can, but it tends to get more niche the more specific the thing is

Fun fact, OTL Brazil was trying to convert coffee into petrol before we discovered the brazilian oil fields, so in an alternate timeline we might have converted coffee into gasoline

Last edited:
I could believe that European Union or European Green parties, start to campaign against Coffee !
Since they manage to ban smoking and alcohol in EU, they could take Coffee and Tea next...

If they will be successful ? NOPE
it just like EU ban on deep-fry and roasting of foodstuffs, like bread, coffee beans, malt for beer and chips.
But the EU bureaucrats they realised to there horror, there offices were in Nations were populations deep-fry there food.
The Dutch, Belgian and French threaten to burn down some EU Offices...

EU is not going to prohibit alcohol or coffee. It wouldn't ever succeed since Germany and Czechia would are against alcohol prohibition and Sweden and Finland would oppose coffee prohibition. Not going to happen.

Probably only way remove coffee is just expect its extinction due climate change. But it is long time ahead.

Well, yes but actually no

Like, you can, but it tends to get more niche the more specific the thing is

Fun fact, OTL Brazil was trying to convert coffee into petrol before we discovered the brazilian oil fields, so in an alternate timeline we might have converted coffee into gasoline
That is the most patriotic thing I have ever seen

Im definitely using it