WI: "American Hippo Bill" Gets Passed

Just an interesting titbit I discovered, in 1910 there was a proposal by Representative Robert F. Broussard to import and release hippopotami into the Louisiana Bayous, both to help control the invasive Water Hyacinth, and provide meat to the . The plan received backing from former president Theodore Roosevelt, the US Department of Agriculture, and The Washington Post and The New York Times. The bill was ultimately never passed, but what if it had been? What would the ecosystem of Louisiana look like today?

This hardly ends well. Hippos are quiet dangerous animals so there would be several cases where hippos are killed humans. It is one of most lethal animals in Africa. And not sure if it doesn't begin eat fruit plantations too so farmers might be pretty pissed.

This hardly ends well. Hippos are quiet dangerous animals so there would be several cases where hippos are killed humans. It is one of most lethal animals in Africa. And not sure if it doesn't begin eat fruit plantations too so farmers might be pretty pissed.
In a swamp already infested with alligators, the added danger to humans might not be the worst impact. But I can see them quickly developing an appetite for sugar cane.

I'd be interested to see what the cajun do with Hippo meat. Could be a "swamp beef" to add to the "swamp chicken" in their unique culinary tradition

I'd be interested to see what the cajun do with Hippo meat. Could be a "swamp beef" to add to the "swamp chicken" in their unique culinary tradition

Hmmmmmmm, hippo boudin....is there a market for hippopotamus hides? Troy Landry on a Hippo hunt...."Choot 'em"

Nick P

Donor

There's uh, Hippo-kabobs, hippo creole, hippo gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple hippo, lemon hippo, coconut hippo, pepper hippo, hippo soup, hippo stew, hippo salad, hippo and potatoes, hippo burger, hippo sandwich.....
;):biggrin:

There's uh, Hippo-kabobs, hippo creole, hippo gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple hippo, lemon hippo, coconut hippo, pepper hippo, hippo soup, hippo stew, hippo salad, hippo and potatoes, hippo burger, hippo sandwich.....

Well that makes Forest Gump more interesting.

Din's red earth, I just realized something. Perfect fast food mascot for a commercialized version of this cuisine: the Hungry Hungry Hippo.

Would hippos survive through to the modern day do you think? Or would they have been hunted down as a menace at some point?

So assuming the problem is realised at some point (when it would be I've no idea), how long do you think it would be before all the hippos were hunted down? The 1920s? the '30s? The '40s? Later than that?