WI/AHC: Effective Articles of Confederation?

The Articles of Confederation, the first United States constitution, are notorious for creating a weak and ineffectual federal government, hobbled by the virtual independence of most of its member states. Ultimately, they were entirely replaced by the current United States Constitution, which has served fairly well for the past two hundred years (and a bit).

Could, however, this have been avoided? What changes in the original Articles of Confederation--not, I must note, in the 1780s--might have allowed the Articles to carry on more or less indefinitely, occasionally amended but never superseded by a new constitution? In other words, what changes to the original Articles, as dispatched in 1777, might have led to their being effective, or at least effective enough to not be wholly discarded?

Considering that the 13 colonies had managed to defeat the United Kingdom with an ad hoc, jury rigged system, and given that each colony considered itself its own country, I really don't think hardly anyone - at that point - saw the necessity of anything more.

You'd never get some of the colonies to sign on if it were more effective. IMO.

Considering that the 13 colonies had managed to defeat the United Kingdom with an ad hoc, jury rigged system, and given that each colony considered itself its own country, I really don't think hardly anyone - at that point - saw the necessity of anything more.

You'd never get some of the colonies to sign on if it were more effective. IMO.
Ah, but in 1777 they haven't defeated the United Kingdom, not even close. The whole point was to suggest changes, as I said twice, to the original articles, as written in 1776-1777.