Why did Washington state and New Mexico take so long to earn statehood?

Why did these western states take so comparatively long to attain statehood, compared with neighboring states?

It would seem surprising to me if mere smaller populations and a longer time period to reach critical mass of population, which *should* be the main criterion, explains it all.

Washington state, with its good soil, moderate weather, navigable Columbia river, good ports, great lumber resources, and salmon stocks, seems like it logically should not have had to wait until 1889, 31 years after its southern sister state of Oregon, for admission to the Union. Washington, a coastal state and home of Seattle, oddly had to wait for admission alongside a class of states that included such desolate “big sky” country as the northern Rockies and plains states of Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas. Seems odd.

And then New Mexico- not admitted until the twentieth century, 1911. Yet Zach Taylor had considered fast tracking admission of New Mexico as a state (admittedly probably a much larger version, covering the whole Great Basin) as early as 1850. And hadn’t the core Rio Grande valley of New Mexico, up through Santa Fe, been the *oldest* continuous concentration of European settlement in North America, west of the Mississippi, and north of Mexico proper? Was it truly in the late nineteenth century and first decade of the 20th, consistently less populous than 46 other contiguous states?

If my suspicions on population are correct and Washington and/or New Mexico had raw population to be admitted as states earlier, before, for example arid wastes like Nevada, mountain frontiers like Colorado, or the northern Rockies and Dakotas, what non-population factors might have been holding these territories back?

I know that some of this had to do with politics. I don't remember the details but at the time western states were considered republican strongholds. So democratic administrations and congresses wanted to delay admitting them as long as possible. That's also the reason North and South Dakota were split: to get more republican Senators. New Mexico and Arizona too I think.

Last edited:
For New Mexico, the initial push in 1850 to grant it statehood was a political ploy to sidestep congressional debates over slavery. Taylor wanted it to follow California's example and enter the US immediately as a state rather than a territory. That would mean the inhabitants could establish their own slavery policy, likely against, and congress wouldn't have an opportunity to debate the matter. That however did not pan out. From there the state was a bit stagnant for the next few decades due to a lack of infrastructure and political disorganization, which was a product of its relatively diverse mix of Mexicans, Native Americans, and American settlers who all had different priorities. In turn that created a bit of a perception that the state was lawless and corrupt, and not without a little truth to it. I believe railroads first started arriving in the state in the 1880s, which allowed increased development and settlement and paved its way for admission not too long after that.

Washington's situation is a bit more simple, in that the state was essentially too disorganized to admit earlier. After several wars with its Native Americans, the state saw waves of miners and loggers move into its eastern reaches, which are mountainous and were disconnected from the western portion of the state. The settlements that did form were rough and their economies were often driven by gambling and prostitution. The more settled and industrial western part of Washington tried furiously to disown its mountainous eastern half, which led to decades of debates over where the capital should be and how much of Idaho it might be forced to absorb. Those debates intermixed with partisan politics both within the state and within congress and delayed its admission by a good decade or two.

Last edited:
Note how long it took for Washington state to even catch up with Oregon

OregonWashington

So population seems to be the genuine cause here for Washington state. I just find it surprising Washington was so slow-growing.

The more settled and industrial western part of Washington tried furiously to disown its mountainous eastern half, which led to decades of debates over where the capital should be and how much of Idaho it might be forced to absorb. Those debates intermixed with partisan politics both within the state and within congress and delayed its admission by a good decade or two.
So, Washington west of the cascades, or the part that ultimately became Washington, suffered from a bad case of "I'm with stupid" here, dragged down by the ill repute of the mining districts.

As for New Mexico - probably racism. New Mexico has the highest percentage of Spanish speakers in the US
Sadly plausible.
I believe railroads first started arriving in the state in the 1880s, which allowed increased development and settlement and paved its way for admission not too long after that.
Still took thirty years, a trifle more than "a minute", as the kids say.

I know that some of this had to do with politics. I don't remember the details but at the time western states were considered republican strongholds. So democratic administrations and congresses wanted to delay admitting them as long as possible. That's also the reason North and South Dakota were split: to get more republican Senators. New Mexico and Arizona too I think.
I think they did have that rep as Republican strongholds.

The admissions of new states during the Civil War, West Virginia, Kansas, and Nevada, which all went Republican in 1864. seem a little suspicious. Were usual statehood admission processes bent at all for any of them?

Now Kansas was overdue for statehood, and was polarized, with the free staters, who were at the time Republicans numerically dominant. And it remained a Republican stronghold. Nevada and West Virginia did not stay as reliably Republican. I think West Virginia went for Seymour in 1868 and was a "swing state" in the Guilded Age, going Democratic a little more often than average, but going Republican in Republican landslide years.

Of the even newer states. I think the states of the northern plains had a typical recurring pro-Republican bias, but the Rocky Mountain states were pretty swing-y, going with the Democrats certainly in years when the Democrats won at the national level.

Regarding New Mexico, I think its electoral history has tilted more Democratic to the tune of 2/3 or more of the time, with its paired admission state, Arizona, going at least as often the opposite way.

The admissions of new states during the Civil War, West Virginia, Kansas, and Nevada, which all went Republican in 1864. seem a little suspicious. Were usual statehood admission processes bent at all for any of them?
Nevada came in with an unconventionally low population, and it's dubious that Virginia provided the necessary consent for partition considering that only Unionists voted on it. The bill for admitting Kansas benefited from the seceded states' withdrawal from Congress, but I don't think was procedurally bent.

Why did these western states take so comparatively long to attain statehood, compared with neighboring states?
Now I don't know enough of this history, but I think its always an issue to decide which party "gets" the state. Like the free/slave states kind of? That's what sort of happened w/ Hawaii and Alaska, as they 'split' them, Hawaii going blue and Alaska going red. The other thing is the old west could be a politically interesting place where an extended family could swing an election, so probably that's why it was delayed until Washington considered those states politically 'stable' enough for senators, EVs ect.

I think West Virginia went for Seymour in 1868 and was a "swing state" in the Guilded Age, going Democratic a little more often than average, but going Republican in Republican landslide years.
It actually went for grant in 1868 and 1872, but for Tilden in 1876 and not Republican again until 1896, after which it was mostly Republican until1932.

Generally the history of which states get admitted to the union, and in which format, has been heavily dependent on political considerations and what impact it will have on the balance of power in the senate. I know nothing about Washington and New Mexico specifically, but I do know that the Dakotas were split up to create two republican states instead of just one (which were admitted alongside republican Montana and less-republican Washington) and Alaska was similarly only admitted with Hawaii because the former was thought more likely to be democratic and anti-civil rights, whereas the latter was thought more likely to be republican and pro-civil rights. So I'm sure that similar political considerations must have played a big part in the delay for both Washington and New Mexico.

That's what sort of happened w/ Hawaii and Alaska, as they 'split' them, Hawaii going blue and Alaska going red.

Alaska was similarly only admitted with Hawaii because the former was thought more likely to be democratic and anti-civil rights, whereas the latter was thought more likely to be republican and pro-civil rights.

Yeah, they anticipated the Party ID of Alaska and Hawaii backwards, but the civil rights sympathies correctly. In a way just not accounting for the impact of the GOP southern strategy. Which was a western strategy and rural strategy too I guess, and never played as poorly with Native Americans as with other minorities black, hispanic, Asian, or Hawaiian native and other Pacific Islander.