Who is running against Kerry this year?

It depend on the Iraq war (and nobody seems to know how Kerry intended to handle that). If he stay and doesn't reduce the violence, Ron Paul might have a better chance.

I mean, realistically, how is Kerry doing? I bet he has a good chance of winning this election, but as a Democrat the economy line isn't going to work, and I highly doubt we're fully out of Iraq.

Who is the Republican candidate? Has GWB discredited social conservatism, or has it only fired up the base more? Does this make a Giuliani more likely, or is Huckabee inspired? Romney seems very plausible in this timeline, with his "economy credentials" he touted earlier: Romney-Giuliani?

Jasen777

Donor
I think the social conservative base would be more fired up.

It really depends on what has happened in Iraq. I still say Giuliani can't get through the Republican Primary.

It depend on the Iraq war (and nobody seems to know how Kerry intended to handle that). If he stay and doesn't reduce the violence, Ron Paul might have a better chance.

a Paul nomination would require a very different Republican Party.

Keep in mind that Kerry would likely be unpopular: not as unpopular as Bush is now, but still unpopular.

I keep thinking McCain or Huckabee. Maybe a McCain/Huckabee ticket?

But I think we might get a different Republican party. Perhaps not THAT different but they might be anti-war. So perhaps I should have said a mainstream version of Ron Paul.

If Kerry is as unpopular ITTL as Bush is now, or even somewhere close to it, what is a chance that perhaps he is challenged by another Democrat in the Democratic primaries? After all, I believe this has precedent in the past when the sitting President eligible for another term was NOT the party's candidate in that Presidential election due to not getting through the primaries...

Wouldn't it be interesting if Hillary Clinton would have challenged
a sitting President Kerry?

It's interesting to speculate for it's entirely possible President John Kerry might have nominated Barack Obama to the Supreme Court instead of John Roberts leaving Hillary free to openly challenge for the 2012 nomination.

If Kerry is unpopular enough, I can see a strong challenge from within the Democratic party. Hillary would be my best guess. And a sex scandal from Kerry's VP John Edwards could weaken Kerry's re-election attempt even more. Perhaps a Clinton-Obama ticket would be introduced in the event of Hillary beating Kerry in the Democratic primaries?

I could see McCain being the Republican canidate still. Ron Paul would still be a little too radical for the mainstream Republican party to accept, despite his popularity.