What official language would the PRC adopt if it only controlled Southern China?

I'm wondering if the PRC never took control of the northern parts of the country and instead survived and established itself in southern or south-west China, around Hunan and Chongqing. Would Mandarin still be standardized or would a more local dialect/language be encouraged?

I'll post a map later of the exact regions I'm talking about.

I'm wondering if the PRC never took control of the northern parts of the country and instead survived and established itself in southern or south-west China, around Hunan and Chongqing. Would Mandarin still be standardized or would a more local dialect/language be encouraged?

Hakka is a big possibility.

The situation is not necessarily exactly the same, but the fact that virtually no one in Taiwan spoke Mandarin in 1945 did not prevent the KMT from making it the language of government, business, etc.
Edit: I think what mattered in that case was that Mandarin was the language of the ruling class. It didn't matter what languages the majority of the population spoke, Mandarin was what the KMT elite spoke, so that became the official language.

Last edited:
Official languages are usually based on the claims the government has over populations, rather than those under its exercisable jurisdiction. Therefore, it will probably still be Mandarin.

Chinese of course.

More specifically Mandarin, since that's the recognized language of government. And they'd still claim to be the government of all China. Thus the language is Mandarin.

The situation is not necessarily exactly the same, but the fact that virtually no one in Taiwan spoke Mandarin in 1945 did not prevent the KMT from making it the language of government, business, etc.
Edit: I think what mattered in that case was that Mandarin was the language of the ruling class. It didn't matter what languages the majority of the population spoke, Mandarin was what the KMT elite spoke, so that became the official language.

What do you think might happen over time in a southern KMT splinter that has Guangdong making a up a huge portion of its territory and population (including HK)? Would Cantonese/Yue still be spoken or taught the same way Hokkien is in OTL Taiwan?

---

I forgot to mention that this is research for a TL, but here's the region in question (I hope this isn't too self-aggrandizing!).

I0sjgim.png

Any recommendations for what each respective Chinese state might use as an official language?

Last edited:

Hunan and Chongqing already contain large numbers of Mandarin speakers by this time of history, and, as mentioned earlier, it is the language of the elite.

Hunan and Chongqing already contain large numbers of Mandarin speakers by this time of history, and, as mentioned earlier, it is the language of the elite.
Wouldn't Mandarin being the language of the Elite mean the Communists are less likely to choose it to prove they're not just a new wave of Elites but rather the Common Man's government?

Wouldn't Mandarin being the language of the Elite mean the Communists are less likely to choose it to prove they're not just a new wave of Elites but rather the Common Man's government?
Nope. LeX is not saying that Mandarin is perceived as the language of the economic or social elite (e.g. landlords), which might indeed be something the CCP would oppose. But Mandarin was the language that the majority of the elites within the Communist Party spoke, and as such I see no reason why they would choose anything else as the language of their government. Maybe if the TL is structured in such a way that, for whatever reason, the top echelon of the Party is composed almost entirely of people with a different native tongue, you could see the Party using that language as their default, especially if they only control the area in which that language is spoken. Even here, though, as said above, there is something of the idea that Mandarin is "the language of government". Even the Communists here tend to be quite nationalist, and there has been a push towards Mandarin going back to the late Qing Empire. In those days, the Chinese armies were divided up by language/ethnicity (which, admittedly, was something of a necessity in days of such low literacy, when most soldiers from the south couldn't understand Mandarin, and those from the north couldn't understand Min Nan, etc), and this was seen as one of China's weaknesses. They might even be right, given how little the army and navy of nothern China helped the south during the war against the French, or how little the southern armies and fleet helped the north in the Qing-Japan War. Regardless, there was something of a push for more linguistic uniformity, and many people saw Mandarin as the natural choice, even if they themselves did not speak it (well), because of its prestige and the fact that it was the language of the majority of the national population. Really, as i said above, the only way i see that changing is if none of the governing elite or the population in the controlled territory speak it, and even then I think they might pay lip service to the idea of Mandarin as part of their claims to be the real national leaders of China.

1) Any Chinese régime is going to lay claim to all China. Heck even the rump KMT government in Taiwan did. So picking a regional language to use would destroy their credibility.

2) Chinese consists of Mandarin, which a large majority of the nation speaks as a mother tongue and and almost everyone can communicate in, and a bunch of smaller mutually unintelligible languages. The other languages ('dialects') are spoken by MUCH smaller groups of people, and are more different from each other than most are from Mandarin. So... If you chose Hakka, you couldn't communicate with Cantonese speakers, and vice versa. Similarly with Hokla (sp?), Fujian, and the various languages of the south west.

So, the ONLY language you can use that everyone can understand is Mandarin. Unless you want to do something crazy like introduce Esperanto, or something.

So. Yup. Mandarin really is the only possible choice.

2) Chinese consists of Mandarin, which a large majority of the nation speaks as a mother tongue and and almost everyone can communicate in

Well, but in 1945 this part is not actually true. Nowadays, almost all Chinese people, and most Taiwanese, too, can speak Mandarin. But that is because in both countries it has been the language of education and of mass media for generations. In 1945, the vast majority of people who had a different first language couldn't speak Mandarin. I agree with the conclusion that any government with claims to be the legitimate government of all of China will almost certainly pick Mandarin as its official language, but in 1945 not everyone could communicate in it, and large numbers of people could not, at all.

Last edited:
Even here, though, as said above, there is something of the idea that Mandarin is "the language of government". Even the Communists here tend to be quite nationalist, and there has been a push towards Mandarin going back to the late Qing Empire. ... many people saw Mandarin as the natural choice, even if they themselves did not speak it (well), because of its prestige and the fact that it was the language of the majority of the national population.

Yes, this essentially. After the Xinhai Revolution, Mandarin had taken on the role previously occupied by Classical Chinese. And use of (vernacular) Mandarin was seen as something revolutionary in a broader sense, like "hey we're finally modernizing our language!" The Chinese didn't (and to a great extent still don't) see their local dialects as extremely important to their national identity.

Well, but in 1945 this part is not actually true. Nowadays, almost all Chinese people, and most Taiwanese, too, can speak Mandarin. But that is because in both countries it has been the language of education and of mass media for generations. In 1945, the vast majority of people who had a different first language couldn't speak Mandarin. I agree with the conclusion that any government with claims to be the legitimate government of all of China will almost certainly pick Mandarin as its official language, but in 1945 not everyone could communicate in it, and large numbers of people could not, at all.
I'll buy that peasants in the field didn't know Mandarin, but didn't even village headmen need enough to interact with the bureaucracy? Certainly, anyone who wanted a civil service job had to be fluent in Mandarin, no?

I'll buy that peasants in the field didn't know Mandarin, but didn't even village headmen need enough to interact with the bureaucracy? Certainly, anyone who wanted a civil service job had to be fluent in Mandarin, no?
I imagine almost every village will have at least a handful of people who are literate, sure, and will be able to speak some Mandarin. However, in 1949, the estimated literacy rate for all of China was only 20%, and that number is going to be proportionally higher in the cities, and lower in the countryside. How many people would have had the chance to learn it? Access to schooling was generally quite poor, especially in rural areas and villages. Even if we assume the 20% who are literate all speak Mandarin well, and that they are evenly distributed across the nation (which won't be the case), it is a very far cry from "almost everyone can communicate in it". In a place like rural Fujian, or the hinterlands of the Cantonese-speaking area, the overwhelming majority, upwards of 80%, will not be capable of communicating in it to any real degree.

It's worth noting that for the major dialects like Wu or Cantonese, they have their own way of pronouncing characters; thus it's possible to be literate in Chinese without knowing Mandarin.