What is the Best AH you have read?

Since we have been talking about the WORST AH books/series out there, I am curious as to which AH book/series that people think is the best or have enjoyed the most. Just stuff that has been published, cause let's face it, a good amount of stuff written here is better than a fair percentage of stuff that has been published.

A lot of people hate it, but I'll defend it to the end: The Crystal Empire, by L. Neil Smith.

Never heard about it

Edit: I think I've seen it but don't recall skimming thru it. I looked it up at Amazon. It sounds good. What are the criticisms?

Last edited:

Diamond

Banned
Never heard about it

Edit: I think I've seen it but don't recall skimming thru it. I looked it up at Amazon. It sounds good. What are the criticisms?
Well I don't have any criticisms of it. :D

Look through that 'rate AH books from 1-10' thread that was floating around a few weeks ago. Tielhard was none too fond of it.

no one else ever seems to agree with me, but I've always liked 1901 by Robert Conroy... others:
The Moscow Option
The Belisarius series

I really enjoyed Aurora Australis as far as timelines go, but favourite published AH is Fatherland. ooh, look at me, all subversive and non-conformist. ;)

The Man In The High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. The reason I became interested in alternate history in first place (although it was not reignited until much later through the Belisarius series).

Hmmmm...I'd have to say On The Beach by Neil Shute...though some would argue that it is more of an EOW story rather than AH.

HelloLegend

Banned
Replay by Ken Grimwood

This qualifies as an alternate history because the man time travels back in time and alters in own life path over and over again in a 25 year period.

A man dies of a heart attack in Oct 1988, and wakes up in 1963. He uses the kentucky derby to start with some money then goes to vegas, then builds a stock market empire. That's all well and good, but 1988 roles around again, he dies of a heart attack again and wakes up in 1963 again.
Each time, he creates an alternate history.

The movie Groundhog's Day was inspired by this book says a reporter.

If you google Replay by Ken Grimwood, you will find that it is very true
that many people including myself, read the 250 page book in ONE read.
Because it is book, you literally don't put down until u find out how it ends.

I'll say Fatherland. I have to add that the only other AH novel I read completely was "The Iron Dream" - never read Turtledove or Stirling yet.

Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague deCamp. May just have hit me at the right age, but I found it hugely enjoyable.

Thande

Donor
As a piece of AH: Decades of Darkness, in all honesty. I haven't seen anything else that compares to its level of detail - I myself am not a 'butterfly Nazi' but I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into developing the TL in line with that view. It's one of the few TLs built upon a strict interpretation of chaos theory that is actually interesting to read.

In terms of storytelling... The Peshawar Lancers, the first three Worldwar books, and L. Sprague de Camp's The Wheels of If.

Fyrwulf

Banned
1632 and its follow-ons. There's just something about that series that puts it above the rest, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well I have actually read suprisingly few AH novels.
My favourite is Brioms Axis of Time trilogy

Seconded. It has everything that I'd always wanted: Near-Future Cyberpunk-ish people meeting WW2ers, Cultural clash, technothriller-like battles, satirical comedies and the ironies. Oh, you just got to love the ironies.:D

Bring the Jubilee. Although I think it was meant originally to be a time travel story when written. Its a good starter for a first AH read.

Christian von Ditfurth: Die Mauer steht am Rhein

next comes probably SS-GB from Len Deighton

I didn't really like Fatherland.
It somehow felt wrong and got boring in the end.

SS-GB is very good, the feel and the eye for detail are just right - with the restaurant reserved for Luftwaffe personnel, and the collaborator with his well-heated room.