What if Reynolds had accepted command?

We all know that George Meade was given command of the Army of the Potomac just before Gettysburg because General John F. Reynolds turned it down.

What would have happened if Reynolds had assumed command of the army? Take this beyond Gettysburg if you want....Would he have pursued lee? Would that have changed Lincolns mind about Grant?.... Lets have some what if? fun with this one.

okaay... :cool: I honestly don't know much about Reynolds, but my first thought was that he was more aggressive than Meade. I mean, look where he got killed. At the front. On the edge of the woods. That tells me he's aggressive. So heres the way I saw it. Reynolds takes command late on June 27. He immediadtly sends his Calvary forward to find Lee. Meade didn't assume command until morning, June 28. That extra 8 to 12 hours could have made a difference. So the Calvary Corps has pushed forward, looking for the Rebs. Two Corps of the ANV is found near Cashtown. Reynolds throws 5 Corps in that direction included his old I under Doubleday, the II under Hancock, the III under Sickles, the V under Meade, and the XI under Howard. The VI under Newton and the XII under Slocum are left to cover the flank near Gettysburg. Sedgewick commands. Since Reynolds is from the area, he finds the best ground and beats off a Confederate force he out numbers. Sedgewick also beats off Ewell north of Gettysburg. Maybe Meade could command the flank. I dunno. Just a thought.