Voices of Doomsday

The Beatles? On The Last Day, we had not heard about them in Connecticut. As I said, one of my lasting memories is hearing "Telstar" by The Tornados on WERI just before the broadcast was interrupted by "we interrupt this program."
I was halfway through The Boxcar Children when the next argument broke out. It dealt with food and water. My memory isn't clear about this, but I think that there were about 300 people jammed into the library. Outside, the Westerly Police were actually directing anyone else who wanted to get into the Washington Trust bank across the street and the high school, further up on Ward Avenue.
There was an A&P and a local market called McQuade's within walking distance from the library and groups of men from the library and the bank went out to scavenge for food. Another one of my memories of that day is a parade of shopping carts, piled high with groceries winding its way from the A&P ad McQuade's. Surprisingly things were fairly calm and organized, but as a 10-year-old, I didn't realize that there would be no "big trucks" hauling groceries to replenish the looted supplies.
The consensus of opinion was that "the government" would fix things, given enough time.
Surprisingly there was a lot of small talk dealing with the Yankee World Series win over the San Francisco Giants and the successful 6 orbit flight of Wally Schirra. However, among some of the people in the "shelter", fear and anxiety was written on many faces because they were missing family and loved ones. The smell of cigarette smoke and the surreptitious passing around of flasks were two more sights permanently engrained in my memory.
We did hear Arthur Godfrey's pep talk. Godfrey was roundly booed. Many people in the shelter had remembered how he unceremoniously fired Julius Larosa at the end of the Godfrey radio hour.
By the middle of the day, the electricity failed. The big cabinet radio fell silent but not before Govenor John Dempsey from Connecticut came over WERI. In a quavering voice, Dempsey addressed the citizens of Connecticut assuring them that our retaliation had inflicted losses on the Soviet Union many times greater than those inflicted on our nation. He added that the destruction of Groton/New London was avenged by the total destruction of the Polyarny naval base He also echoed Govenor John Notte of Rhode Island by saying that the National Guard units of both states would start evacuating those in the Groton/New London area. There was no mention of the hordes of New Yorkers flooding the western boundary of Connecticut attempting to flee atomized New York city.
Around noon, Westerly Chief of Police Raymond Meikel made his way into the library and told the shelter dwellers that Westerly, and Stonington Police were going street by street urging residents to take shelter in more secure areas. He said that a state of emergency existed nationally, and locally, there was a dusk to dawn curfew. Violators of the curfew would be arrested, and looters would be shot on sight. He mentioned that several looters had been shot, predictably looting liquor stores and pharmacies.
After digesting this, my eyes caught the sight that made my heart stop beating. Margaret, who sat 2 rows from me at West Broad Street School was there.
(To Be Continued)

Fellow REaders: My wife has passed away after a long illness and as a catharsis, I'd like to expand what I've written if there is interest

Thank you for your condolences and encouragement gents. Randy and Michel I know your contributions from ever space history/alternative spaceflight history website I have ever visited on the net

Hey Geon, really love the stories you've written for this TL.

No doubt due to the film, what do you think happened to J. Robert Oppenheimer during and after the Cuban Missile War?
Do you reckon he died earlier than OTL, or lived and perhaps gave an interview of his thoughts on the War?

I found this paid article that detailed what Oppenheimer was doing during the OTL Crisis:
By Oct. 26, the crisis had reached critical mass. And who should be in Charlottesville but J. Robert Oppenheimer — “father of the atomic bomb.”

He was in town to chair a session of the Eastern Theoretical Physics Conference being held at the University of Virginia.

More than 150 theoretical physicists were attending the closed conference. Because the press wasn’t allowed in, no public record was made of their thoughts as nations waited to live or die.

Oppenheimer would say only that “man has a lot to learn.” He said that even though we had been able to split the atom, we were far from understanding the nature of matter.

He added that this understanding “would take a long time, unless lightning strikes.” It was Oct. 27 when Oppenheimer voiced those words.

Geon

Donor
Fellow REaders: My wife has passed away after a long illness and as a catharsis, I'd like to expand what I've written if there is interest
I am so sorry @BigRIJoe . Please accept my condolences. I am so very sorry for your loss and I deeply apologize for having delayed to let you know this. As I just now saw this on the thread. Again, may she and you know God's peace!

Geon

Donor
Hey Geon, really love the stories you've written for this TL.

No doubt due to the film, what do you think happened to J. Robert Oppenheimer during and after the Cuban Missile War?
Do you reckon he died earlier than OTL, or lived and perhaps gave an interview of his thoughts on the War?

I found this paid article that detailed what Oppenheimer was doing during the OTL Crisis:
Having not seen the film I couldn't hazard a guess save to say, that it is likely he survived. He might have simply avoided any interviews especially since during the Johnson administration such things would be ruthlessly censored.