USMC abolished by 1840 ?

Again, in reading the USMC Handbook, I came across another interesting WI- that during the early 1830s, there was discussion of abolishing the USMC as a separate force on the grounds of cutting expenses, which however didn't eventuate due to the success of US Marines in undertaking punitive expeditions against Malay pirates over an incident in Sumatra in 1834. But, WI the USMC had somehow been abolished at the time without that incident ?

Thande

Donor
Your a fan of going for really minor PODs arn't you?

I think it's just a case of posting PODs based on interesting things you've just read this minute in history books. I've done that myself before - some of them ended up being incorporated into LTTW.

I would assume the US loses a great degree of flexability, the USMC was the spear head of the American forgien policy. ITTL the USMC is gone so the US would have to relie of Naval infantry detachemnts who are only capable of so much and a slow moving under equiped army that doesn't have the same degree of tactical flexability or the ability to work so closely with the Navy as the Marines.

All around not fun, really prior to WWII the US military relied on the USMC as its fast reaction force a small mobile highly professional force capable of hitting fast and hard. Without that Americas ability to project its powers will be limited, the Army and the Navy would have to find a way to work together more closely and that would be a fiasco.

But thats my opinion as I am heavly biased in favor of the USMC.