US Army Terminolgy Wank Challenge

archaeogeek

Banned
Have Wilkinson die on the Erie instead of Wayne and a general more favorable to the idea of calling the federal force a legion replace him: legion potentially saved. You just really need to convince Jefferson down the road that a token federal force is practical (it would be outnumbered by state regiments anyway). The core problem: I don't know one, and besides Jefferson I feel Jackson and the "era of good feelings" presidents might take issue with the idea of a permanent force as well, so you'll need fairly eloquent commanders of it for the next 25-ish years.
Reorganize the legions into a dual division/regiment system, as the french used. Voilà, the First sub-legion restored to 1st regiment.
Have more formalized state militias required to maintain a regular regiment of foot, maybe a squadron of horse and an artillery battery too (a sub-legion, which was basically a mixed brigade, replacing the fourth infantry battalion of the typical european square brigade by its own cavalry: that's basically a ww1 triangular formation, which the US had stopped using in the meantime, but war in the lightly populated americas could potentially justify the maintenance of such an organization, it would also give a better cavalry core in the ACW = better recon, better communications, more efficient staff work on both sides); put this as a guideline for statehood (capability to raise such) in addition to the unofficial guideline of roughly 80.000 people. It probably doesn't survive all the way to today, but it might survive longer.

The Legion might not survive except maybe as a ceremonial unit, the State Regiments would probably be federalized during the ACW, a few years later for the southern ones, and so change numerotation, but by then they'd have been established for about a century. Have the legion form the core of the union army if the ACW unfolds as OTL, at this point it might have enough prestige that it remains the presidential guard instead of the marines (the navy would probably get their guard marines regiment anyway sometime in the 20th century).

The French might help repopularize the term, since they did have a Vistula Legion that was the polish forces directly under french command, along with the Legion Belge (Netherlands), Legion Irlandaise (Irish émigrés), Légion Noire (from freed blacks during the 1st republic), it seems to have been a fancy term for a unit larger than a division but smaller than a "full" corps, or foreign troops.

Okay I stop editting, promise (I lied)

Last edited:

archaeogeek

Banned
Love the ideas. Do you have any opinion on maintaining the Legion with the 1st American Regiment?

Retain regiments as recruitment commands (as the french and british both did), but keep the triangular sub-legion as a battlefield authority? This also solves the problem of having to raise disparate cavalry squadrons and artillery as part of an infantry regiment. So you end up with a single artillery regiment made up of four battery plus whatever legion reserves they want (in Russia, 4 batteries was an artillery regiment to begin with), a dragoons regiment or two depending on how many squadrons to a regiment and the size of the squadrons (austrian-type squadrons were easily twice as large as french ones and their regiments were easily the size of french brigades although at the division and corps level things evened out). This simplifies recruitment and training.

Oh, and add a sixth brigadier general in the commander's staff (there were already four plus the legion's 2IC); maybe put him in charge of a regiment of engineers. For the sake of the romanophilia ;) - if the regiments remain structured with a grenadier company to each battalion, the combined grenadiers (as was european practice but I admit to have no idea how the US army worked at that time besides the great lines) can even be your First Battalion on the field, for added adherence to classical forms.

Last edited:
Challenge complete the following
1-Survival of the First American Regiment(first or second establishment)
2-The survival of The Legion of the United States sublegions included.
3-State Regiments such as the 1st Maryland Regiment these regiments may trace their lineage to the Continental Regiments and may be called as such.
Not sure I understand you, the The First Infantry Regiment US Army is the First IN Rgt of the Second establishment, The Third Infantry Regiment is the First In Rgt of the First establishment. Both are still allocated to the Regular US Army, while I am not sure if the First In has any units active at this time the Third US Infantry damn sure is on active duty, as it has been since it was first activated as the First US Infantry after the Revolution, they are the ones that provide among other things the Guard of the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier.
The only reason that the 3rd Regt. is not today the 1st Regt. is at the time of the Second establishment the Commander of the then first was third in seniority of the Regimental Commanders and the new Regiments were numbered from the first to the last senior commander.
The Second Virginia Militia Regiment originally organized around 1750 is still around in the National Guard as the Infantry Regiment of the "Stonewall Brigade" Va NG. There are others that trace their linage back to ARW units, two being from Pa and NY (IIRC). The NY one being a Calvary unit.

Well I was looking for a POD instead of US Inf Regiments they're referred to as American Infantry Regiments.

archaeogeek

Banned
Well I was looking for a POD instead of US Inf Regiments they're referred to as American Infantry Regiments.

That mostly just requires some traditional establishment to last; tbh even that might not be enough: the french Line Regiments, while they have a lineage, still did change names a lot during and after the revolution, for example... But they were more like pre-napoleonic regiments where they had the name of their "colonel-in-chief" rather than the name of a region. Britain has a few of those but apart from a handful, they're almost entirely tied to the royal family.