Unbuilt America: Forgotten architecture from Thomas Jefferson to the space age

Yes, and the more provincial and small-town the capitol, the bigger it is (compensating for something)?

The biggest is apparently Texas's (what a surprise) which is ever so slightly taller than the actual federal Capitol in Washington DC :rolleyes:

I'm certainly no fan of Texas, but in what way is it provincial? It is one of the most populous states and one of the largest economies in the country. The state is home to plenty of "small towns", but so are Massachusetts, California, and New York.

The Texas state capital building is a reflection of the state's economy during the era in which it was built, just like every other state capital. If anything, locating the Texas state capital in the large city of Austin makes it far less provincial than most state capitals, which are typically located away from the states' major metropolitan areas: Harrisburg, Sacramento, Albany, etc.

FDW

Banned
I'm certainly no fan of Texas, but in what way is it provincial? It is one of the most populous states and one of the largest economies in the country. The state is home to plenty of "small towns", but so are Massachusetts, California, and New York.

The Texas state capital building is a reflection of the state's economy during the era in which it was built, just like every other state capital. If anything, locating the Texas state capital in the large city of Austin makes it far less provincial than most state capitals, which are typically located away from the states' major metropolitan areas: Harrisburg, Sacramento, Albany, etc.

Actually, the Sacramento metro area is larger than Austin's.

sprite

Donor
I have a copy of this book somewhere. I love it how most unbuilt buildings are 'monumental'. There was a great drawing of Lloyd Wright's Illinois, it always reminds me of a story i read on soc.history.what-if long long ago, when the mile-high building turned into the towering inferno.