TVTropes Entry: help wanted!

All,

I was planning to do a TV Tropes entry for a Sliding Scale of Alternate History Plausibility in the manner of other Sliding Scales on the site.

Please give your thoughts to the following initial draft:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sliding Scale of Alternate History Plausibility

Like other forms of Speculative Fiction, Alternate History varies in its inherent "hardness" with AH Fandom generally grading it by how "plausible" the AH is based on historical realism and verisimilitude. At the "hard" end of plausibility are well-researched pieces that take into account historical sources and trends, logical changes due to the Butterfly Effect, and try to produce allohistorical events that flow logically from the Point of Departure (POD). At the "soft" end are works of pure Fantasy and Rule of Cool, generally a result of Alien Space Bats.

While the line between "plausible" and not is subjective {{Your Mileage May Vary}}, the following four levels tend to encompass the general consensus in the online AH Fandom:

* Type I: Historical Counterfactuals: these are often works by actual professional historians that seek to answer a historical "what if", typically as an intellectual exercise to better understand the actual history involved. At their best they set aside the personal "wants" and "if only's" of the author and try to accurately determine the most likely result of a POD. They are typically "unsteered", meaning that they have no predetermined outcome and simply follow the logical changes ("what if Lee won at Gettysburg?").

* Type II: Hard Alternate History: these are works of fiction that use AH as a tool for constructing a fictional setting, yet try to employ historical methodology and account for Butterflies {{For Want of a Nail}}. They can be as deeply researched as a counterfactual, but often leave room for adventurous outcomes or Rule of Drama/Cool/Comedy. They are often "steered" to a predetermined outcome and may select the POD only after the desired outcome is chosen ("I need a setting where an independent Confederate States faces off against the Union in a Great War analog, what POD can I choose to get there realistically?").

* Type III: Soft Alternate History: These are works of fiction where the plausibility of the setting's alt-history is less important than setting up a world that fits the creator's artistic objectives. Research is typically minimal to moderate and used simply to give some verisimilitude to the setting. Butterflies may be utterly ignored {{In Spite of a Nail}} and plausibility will take a back seat to Rule of Drama/Cool/Comedy. Almost always "steered" ("okay, so I need a Confederate George Patton running a Blitzkrieg through Stalinist China...")

* Type IV: Alien Space Bats and Fantastical AH: These works are designed as pure fantasy, typically following the Rule of Cool. Some sort of Applied Phlebonium or Sufficiently Advanced Aliens or blatant magic {{A Wizard Did It}} causes a POD that completely changes everything. What if Aliens invade Earth during World War 2? What if time traveling modern Cherokee give assault rifles to their distant ancestors in 1820? What if the modern island of Manhattan was time-ported to the Mediterranean in Roman times? A sub-type of this rewrites actual history in fantastic terms: what if George Washington's army used nature magic to fight Necromantic redcoats? Ironically, many ASB works can become very "hard" following an initial fantastical POD, diligently using historical research and Butterflies to see what would logically happen if Cherokees really did have Kalashnikovs in 1820. Can be "steered" or "unsteered".

Needless to say, the line between the different Types is highly subjective {{YMMV}}, often depending on an individual's personal interpretations or what historical theory he/she believes. Where history is vague (such as Prehistory) pure creative writing or blatant Ass Pulls might be used. The perception of Type II vs. Type III in particular can be very much in the eye of the beholder. Furthermore, perceived extreme cases of implausibility in a Type II can lead to cries of ASB ("and what magical fairy gave the Japanese the cargo ships they would have needed to invade Hawaii?")

Also, technology can a source of debate: is Steam Punk a Type III or IV? How realistic are Zeppelins from Another World in the year 2001 anyway? Politics enters in as well, with steered AH used to create a Utopia based on the creator's personal political/economic views or a Dystopia {{Strawman Nation}} based on opposing views.

Examples:

Type I:

* The What If? series of books where professional historians analyze some counterfactual scenarios (though there are some fans who question their conclusions).

Type II:

* For Want of a Nail: a very detailed and carefully researched novel that explores the "history" of a world where the Continental Army lost at Saratoga. Practically a Type I in fictional format!

* How Few Remain: the first in Harry Turtledove's "TL-191" series explores a vividly realistic 19th century following a southern victory in the American Civil War. Arguably the following Great War trilogy applies as well, though some classify them as moving into Type III.

Type III:

* The latter books of Harry Turtledove's "TL-191" where In Spite of a Nail really sets in and the historical parallelism strains some reader's suspension of disbelief.

* S.M. Sterling's Draka series where a Social Darwinist South African superpower emerges and eventually [[spoiler:conquers the earth]]. Many in the AH community find the history a little implausible {{Understatement}}, though it remains one of the modern classics of AH.

* Leviathan, a young adult alt-WW1 tale where Steam-Punk Central Powers "Clankers" battle Bio-Punk {{Lego Genetics}} Entente "Darwinists". Total Rule of Cool and arguably Type IV due to the Plebonium nature of the technologies.

* The film Confederate States of America where the South not only wins but takes over the whole of the Union! Few take the history seriously, including the creator himself since it was designed as a satire of race relations in the US rather than an accurate counterfactual representation of a southern victory world.

Type IV:

* Another obligatory Harry Turtledove example: the Worldwar series. Lizards from Outer Space invade during World War 2 and the Axis and Allies must set aside their differences to save Earth from alien conquest! Interestingly quite "hard" AH after that, at least in the first books.

* S.M. Sterling's Island in a Sea of Time wherein the contemporary island of Nantucket is time-ported back to the Bronze Age. Somewhat "soft" after the PoD as like most of Sterling's work it follows Rule of Cool.

* Eric Flint's 1632 series where a West Virginia coal town is time-and-space-ported to Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War. Interestingly very "hard" after the PoD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

I'm considering a fifth "Type" between the current II and III that encompasses works with "elements of both hard and soft", though I fear this just complicates things even more.

Unless someone can think of a good metric for evaluating plausibility (at least for the sake of the entry) I fear I have to rely on YMMV qualifiers.

Given that many "professional historians" have a big 'ol ax to grind, I'm not sure if type I is consistently more plausible than type II's.

I'd say steampunk varies depending on the technology involved: if you have steam-powered battle robots or zombies or interplanetary travel by giant cannon, you're definitely into type IV, while if it's just improbably legnthened survival of "classic" British Empire, zepellins, etc. it's a type III.

Bruce

Given that many "professional historians" have a big 'ol ax to grind, I'm not sure if type I is consistently more plausible than type II's.

Valid point. How would you handle this?

I'd say steampunk varies depending on the technology involved: if you have steam-powered battle robots or zombies or interplanetary travel by giant cannon, you're definitely into type IV, while if it's just improbably legnthened survival of "classic" British Empire, zepellins, etc. it's a type III.

Bruce

Agreed there. In the end I'll probably add some text to that effect.

Bruce
Where would you say The Difference Engine falls on the scale?

As a longtime reader of the 1632 series, I can attest that after the POD, Flint and all the other writers in his community work hard to keep it Type II. In fact, if Virginia DeMarce gets involved with her, ahem, great love of genealogy, it can veer into Type I what with all the goings-on among the denizens of Grantville. :D

I think this is a good typology, and although it's simple it allows for "Type II.5" and so forth. I disagree that more fantastical alt-histories are not as extensively researched, save that professional historians probably delve into primary documents more than amateurs. But I've read several complete books solely for the purpose of writing for Ill Bethisad, an alternate world that would best be placed in Type III. (Although those who understand IB know it's not actually AH and doesn't claim to be, it would find good company among the Type III timelines, I think.)

Where would you say The Difference Engine falls on the scale?

III: no actual violations of what we (think we) know is possible, but formidable improbability in the technology being adopted so fast and on so massive a scale. (Not to mention some of the geopolitics. I mean, independent Red Manhattan?)

Bruce

I'd also like a division of ASB in type IV-a, "stuff that's plausible given what we know of the universe, but we're not sure will actually every happen", such as SETI discovering alien signals, or the discovery of the Great Sea Serpent (just a very large eel, alas) and typeIV-b, "stuff which seems physically impossible", along the line of "Narnia attacks" or "all Democrats turn into Michelle and Barack clones."

Bruce

Should there be separate categories for these?

The author has an axe to grind and he isn't convincing:

The Probability Broach

The author doesn't seem to be even trying:

What's the craziest TL on Althistory Wiki

Very superficial AH, barely mentioned in passing. (Several examples on uchronia.net.)

Personal AH, involving just one person with barely any changes in the world around him.

One example is the film Sliding Doors.

Another is a book I read about. It was probably self-published. There was a plane crash in Detroit in the 80s, and a relative wrote an AH in which her family had not gotten on the plane, they were recruited by the CIA and they went on adventures around the world.

I don't remember the title or author. I remember reading about it in the paper on the anniversary of the plane crash, so I could track it down. I don't know if it would get listed on uchronia.net.

Last edited:
This also seems a good place to ask a question that's been bugging me. Would a reference to OTL along the lines of "Somewhere in a trench on the Western Front, a German corperal originally from Austria meets his end with an artillery shell" fall on this scale, or breaking the fourth wall?

This also seems a good place to ask a question that's been bugging me. Would a reference to OTL along the lines of "Somewhere in a trench on the Western Front, a German corperal originally from Austria meets his end with an artillery shell" fall on this scale, or breaking the fourth wall?

Well, that's simply the PoD. I think you'd only break the fourth wall if you said, "Somewhere on the Western Front, a German corporal originally from Austria meets his end with an artillery shell and never goes on to become Fuehrer of the Third Reich." What you quoted doesn't actually reference OTL except that we are supposed to infer who that corporal is.

Incidentally, I think that in your PoD, the shell should be fired by one Private Godwin.

What about geological PODs? Such as the TL in my sig?

I'd say they can be almost any category, since there's no reason why the Earth had to have to have the same continents as it has OTL if you posit PODs back in the early stages of solar system development. Indeed, this guy wrote a book of scholarly essays on geologically different earths http://www.uchronia.net/bib.cgi/label.html?id=comimoondi#3 so it might be considered a type I.

Of course, if you have a major geological change and still have human beings ("South America is underwater and Nixon is still US president in 1970"), it's IV or a, shall we say, very strongly directed III. And you have to get your geology right: you can't have huge oilfields when there's isn't the right kind of underlying rock, and I suspect your Avalonia wouldn't spread so far east-west if it's an Atlantic ridge growth like OTL iceland.

Bruce

How about this?

* Type I: Thoroughly researched work, by authors that seek to answer a historical "what if", typically as an intellectual exercise to better understand the actual history involved.

* Type II: Thoroughly researched work which enters the butterfly range (~30 years after the POD) or not so thoroughly researched work. Weimar World or Decades of Darkness would go here.

* Type III: Researched work which heavily relies on the butterfly effect, or goes way, way back (POD in continental drift or evolution). The Chaos TL is such a place.

* Type IV: Stuff written for entertainment or to grind an axe. Draka go here, for example.

* Type V: Hardcore ASB stuff. Dystopic return of magic, as an example.

Well, that's simply the PoD. I think you'd only break the fourth wall if you said, "Somewhere on the Western Front, a German corporal originally from Austria meets his end with an artillery shell and never goes on to become Fuehrer of the Third Reich." What you quoted doesn't actually reference OTL except that we are supposed to infer who that corporal is.

Incidentally, I think that in your PoD, the shell should be fired by one Private Godwin.

No, this is post POD.

VT45

Banned
you have to get your geology right: you can't have huge oilfields when there's isn't the right kind of underlying rock, and I suspect your Avalonia wouldn't spread so far east-west if it's an Atlantic ridge growth like OTL iceland.

Not an Atlantic ridge growth. Look at the thread. Rift is to its west, with a subduction zone to its east.

My suggestions:

Type 0: This is alternate?: These works barely differ from our own timeline at all. Butterfly effect is completely ignored. The author has focused too much on the point of diversion and the primary nation or region of the timeline. There is rigorous detail in this area, and a huge amount of research. Events from real history regarding the rest of the world are practically copied into the alternate timeline. As a result, the differences in this world are minimal and only concerning the focus of the timeline.

Type III.5: Alternate history games: Hey guys, this is what happened in my Civ III, Civ IV, Europa Universalis 3, Victoria, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron 3, or Risk game. No research. Simply a retelling of events in the game. Some games are more plausible in their events than others.

* Type I: Thoroughly researched work, by authors that seek to answer a historical "what if", typically as an intellectual exercise to better understand the actual history involved.

* Type II: Thoroughly researched work which enters the butterfly range (~30 years after the POD) or not so thoroughly researched work. Weimar World or Decades of Darkness would go here.

* Type III: Researched work which heavily relies on the butterfly effect, or goes way, way back (POD in continental drift or evolution). The Chaos TL is such a place.

* Type IV: Stuff written for entertainment or to grind an axe. Draka go here, for example.

* Type V: Hardcore ASB stuff. Dystopic return of magic, as an example.
I say the butterfly effect makes it more realistic actually. If Hitler died in WWI, would John F Kennedy become US President in 1961? If the answer is yes, then the timeline should not be Type I or II.

Last edited: