Turtledoves GW stuff

Ok so many of you probably feel we have beaten this Great War thing horse, but none of you have ever given your feelings about the next two books in the series. How do you think the war will play out?

Constantinople said:
Ok so many of you probably feel we have beaten this Great War thing horse, but none of you have ever given your feelings about the next two books in the series. How do you think the war will play out?
Well, we know that the CSA is going to be defeated at Pittsburg, and MacArthur's offensive into VA will probably fail.
I would imagine Book #2 ending with a successful counterattack into OH, with a landing at New Orleans in the works. Book #3 might cover the Mississippian campaign, and the advance into Virginia, ending with the CSA cut into 2, Richmond destroyed by house-to-house fighting (analog-Berlin) and one or more of the CSA cities being nuked.

I dont know how he is going to write a 4th WWII book.
In Europe Germany is going to win. Russia seems to already be stalling, and the brits were defeated near Hamburg I think.

Portmouth, London?

And yes I know this is more of a Alternate History Books, Movies, Games, and Websites thing, but nobody goes there.

Romulus Augustulus said:
Oh! I know! Reichstag-Flag shot, with US flag being raised over some iconic Southern building.
18-Reichstag.jpg

If anyone has a really good Photoshop, this would be perfect for the Alternate Propaganda Thread with a US Flag and different text. :)

Perhaps the Germans will be able to carry out that military operation whose name must never be mentioned ;) The King of Bavaria would be a good choice, since he would be the heir in any Stuart Restoration. Of course, in this timeline, the King would have to let one of his sons assume the title, or maybe renounce his Bavarian claim for the English claim...it's all so confusing... :rolleyes: I imagine the Windsors would flee into exile if possible - perhaps to Australia or India (Canada is out for obvious reasons).

luakel said:
18-Reichstag.jpg

If anyone has a really good Photoshop, this would be perfect for the Alternate Propaganda Thread with a US Flag and different text. :)

One of the saddest pictures in History. The evil of Hitlerism was replaced by a greater evil of Stalinism in half of the German World. The US should have been there first, it was moral duty of the US, from which it shrieked.

Oh no. Hitler was far more evil...at least he would have been, had he been allowed to continue. Stalin, however, was already maxed out (more or less) and really had no intention of expanding. Besides, it's not really Stalinism that's triumphing...it's the triumph of the Soviet people after four long years of horrific, genocidal warfare...and guess what? they beat the fascists!

Straha

Banned
the GW series is implausible. Faced with that kind of competeition and several defeats its the UNION that's more likely to go fascist in the 20's than the CSA even with a central powers wins. Maybe a more likely outcome would have been a fundamentalist police state under McSweeney in the US facing off against Featherston's nazi CSA with BOTH sides hating the blacks and wanting to get rid of them?

luakel said:
18-Reichstag.jpg

Go check out the ATL photos thread in Fiction

I am loathe to say this, but I think the post war would be interesting... I wouldn't read it probably, but it would be interesting. A three sided cold war between USA-Japan-Germany?

As far as the war goes. The Virginia offensive is going to fail. The mormons are going to lose (again, and in much the same manner as the first time). The CSA is going to lose some giant Stalingrad-esque battle, everyone says Pittsburgh, and that seems the most likely place. Britain will have a nuke or two dropped on it. France and Russia will be defeated by Germany. America signs a peace with Japan giving them Hawaii.

And with that, I'm off to bed.

What makes you think only the USA are working on nukes or will work out how to build them first?

Personally I feel the GW books will present some missed opportunities, German troops launching a kind of D-day to liberate a confederate occupied north america - now that would have been interesting... but I doubt Turtledove will do it.

Superdude

Banned
Judging from that project that is taking money away for secret reasons, and placing it in the Washington wilderness, and the fact that Roosevelt is threatening his job t keep it a secret, then I think it is safe to say that the USA is working on a nuclar weapon.

However, Germany will get one first and detonate it against France.

Straha said:
the GW series is implausible. Faced with that kind of competeition and several defeats its the UNION that's more likely to go fascist in the 20's than the CSA even with a central powers wins. Maybe a more likely outcome would have been a fundamentalist police state under McSweeney in the US facing off against Featherston's nazi CSA with BOTH sides hating the blacks and wanting to get rid of them?

What ever did happen to McSweeney?

Archangel Michael said:
What ever did happen to McSweeney?

Hit by an artillery shell midway through Breakthroughs. Pretty sad, too, because he was one of my favorite characters. Anyone who wields a flamethrower because it makes them feel like an angel from Revelation is badass in my book. :cool:

Kinda wish Chester Martin or someone else I never really cared about could have died instead. Oh well.