Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

During the midterm chapter I’ll go in depth on the political ramifications, Weaver and the populists are very popular with the working class right now, but that is more of a hinderance than anything. Weaver’s somewhat tacit support of the strike early on is gonna get absolutely hammered. His support is about to be regulated to farmers.

During the midterm chapter I’ll go in depth on the political ramifications, Weaver and the populists are very popular with the working class right now, but that is more of a hinderance than anything. Weaver’s somewhat tacit support of the strike early on is gonna get absolutely hammered. His support is about to be regulated to farmers.
The DNC is trying to position itself in a position to gain from the ‘progressives’. They are trying to break out of the Deep South through populist support.

General polling for the record (Obviously polling ITL doesn’t really exist yet, this is just for the reader)

77 percent of Americans believe use of the Army was justified in ending the Great Strike

52 percent believed it should have been sooner

58 percent wanted to see Gompers and Debs to see a day in court.

At the time of Garfield’s resignation he had a 42 percent approval rating. (Though it’s important to note that it’s so low mostly due to the economy. Before the strike busting it was at 38 percent)

Fred Grant is entering office with a 56 percent approval rating

It may also be important to note that the party system is also about to change.

Obviously the 3rd party system ended in 1874 with the Liberals now existing.

By 1896 the 4th party system will officially begin.

As many have pointed out the multi party thing is unstable. As is the position of President.

Garfield is the first president to resign by the way. Another man got the job then quickly realized how much he hated it.

General polling for the record (Obviously polling ITL doesn’t really exist yet, this is just for the reader)

77 percent of Americans believe use of the Army was justified in ending the Great Strike

52 percent believed it should have been sooner

58 percent wanted to see Gompers and Debs to see a day in court.

At the time of Garfield’s resignation he had a 42 percent approval rating. (Though it’s important to note that it’s so low mostly due to the economy. Before the strike busting it was at 38 percent)

Fred Grant is entering office with a 56 percent approval rating
What policies will we expect to see for Fred Grant? Will he be a militaristic president? Will he be a domestic president?

Interesting chapter, I wonder how Grant will do as President with the resignation of Hayes? The Republicans waited too long, both politically and militarily, in ending the chaos. We're gonna see a new major party come to rise. Keep up the good work 👍👍👍.

What policies will we expect to see for Fred Grant? Will he be a militaristic president? Will he be a domestic president?
The funny thing about that question is, that’s also what everyone else is asking right now. 💀.

Grant has almost no political experience and minus being a republican, generally has vague views at best. There are a lot of powerful men who are about to try and hold some sway over him.

Interesting chapter, I wonder how Grant will do as President with the resignation of Hayes? The Republicans waited too long, both politically and militarily, in ending the chaos. We're gonna see a new major party come to rise. Keep up the good work 👍👍👍.
The strike was mishandled all around.

They could’ve passed some reform to stop it

The businesses could have been less greedy

The strike could’ve been handled better

The pragmatic union bosses should’ve kept a hold of the radical ones (it got to big and they all ended up losing control)

Garfield should’ve ended it once the trains stopped running.

Will you removed first past the post and introduce an alternative form of voting system? Otherwise it hard for more than 2 party to exist.
Most people assume that the multi party system will end soon. But there is a growing faction arguing to reform the electoral college, it will only balloon more if things keep going like this.

Also for reference

Total Strikers: 550,000 at it’s peak

Total counter protestors and protestors against the strike in the east: Nearly 1.5 million.

Definitely was a bit chaotic
It seems like based on previous post the former Dominican Republic is a terrible place for local enterprise. Is there separatist movements in the future based on the annexation, language differences, and complete lack of control over their own island? I can’t imagine it being a happy place without genuinely free business or some level of autonomy.

It seems like based on previous post the former Dominican Republic is a terrible place for local enterprise. Is there separatist movements in the future based on the annexation, language differences, and complete lack of control over their own island? I can’t imagine it being a happy place without genuinely free business or some level of autonomy.
The Dominican Republic is light-years better off than Haiti and as part of the US wouldn't be taken over by consistent military strongmen so you shouldn't write off its potential >.>

Well, Domincia is good for the pre-established hispanic aristocrats and their families. The actual people of Dominica are definitely less well off.

There are small underground movements for autonomy and independence, especially as business interests have gotten more entrenched on the island but they are pretty weak. As @Pax_Nihil said, living in Dominica is objectively better than living in Haiti. Plus most people, even the poorest, had their standard of living go up after annexation.

Things are starting to get a bit worse now that the island is being monopolized so those aforementioned movements are gaining members mostly from young Dominicans, born post annexation.

School work has been keeping me a bit occupied folks! That said I promise I'll have the next chapter out tomorrow! In the meantime I should have some little vignettes for tonight, soon!

Back in Cleveland
The train came to a screeching halt. Garfield was awoken by Captain Gerry of the USPPD. Congress had delegated the agency towards the protection of former presidents as well.

"We're here sir," Gerry grabbed his coat and stood in the empty train car, bar the President, his family and a USPPD Private. This was only the tenth train to arrive in Cleveland post strike, it's cargo had gained attention outside. Garfield could hear the onlookers, he saw their faces from the window, many still bearing wounds, tears, and sorrow. Garfield grabbed his hat and walked with his wife onto the platform. Captain Gerry asked Garfield to stay there while he spoke to an army Lieutenant across the way.

Martial Law was still imposed in Cleveland, the Federal units in the city were given explicit permission by President Grant to stay in the major cities until threat levels reached near zero. Garfield's October 10th deadline for the troop removal was already rescinded by his successor. He couldn't help but be disappointed by that. He could never voice it though, at this point the whole east coast had turned on him for the pardons...

"Mr. President, this is Lieutenant John Coolidge, he's overseeing this sector of the city," Gerry gestured to the uniformed man who extended his hand.

"Lieutenant..." Garfield nodded and shook his hand.

"It's an honor sir, my son Calvin and I are big fans," Coolidge smiled

"Anyways, we'd like to get you home fast, but there is a large mob of people out front..."

"Is there a way around the crowd Lieutenant?" Gerry turned cold.

"I'm afraid not, the crowd has grown quite large, hard enough to keep them off the road. Good news, they shouldn't be a threat, they are also fans Mr. President," Garfield nodded.

"I won't hide from them Captain. Let's go to the carriage," Gerry looked troubled but relented. The three men left the platform and exited the train station, flanked by soldiers and suited USPPD protection. When Garfield exited the building there was mix of loud cheering and jeering. He looked at them all again, they looked disheveled, none of them were from the upper classes, that much was apparent. Garfield kept his head down and entered his carriage. It rode like the wind, being trailed by two military carriages down the winding roads.

Garfield kept his head down and eyes closed while in the city, he couldn't bear to look at the damaged buildings and half cleaned bloodstains. The only noticeably good thing about the new Cleveland was it's lack of smog and smoke, though once the army was done there, the smog and smoke was sure to return in force.

As they entered the Ohio countryside Garfield believed he could look outside again. For the first time in weeks, he smiled, he was home-

"FIRE!"
POP, POP, POP!

"CHRIST!" Garfield jumped up and held onto his wife, sitting next to him. Captain Gerry banged on the wood of the carriage.

"What in the fuck is going on?!" After a moment the driver responded.

"No worry sir! Looks like a firing squad!" Garfield turned his head to look at the window. Indeed it was, smoke rose in the distance and bodies fell to the ground. As the carriage sped by, the soldiers that had fired moved to clear the bodies into a ditch. Garfield turned away and held his head in his hands. He let out a tear and quickly wiped it away before Gerry or Lucretia could see.

"That's unacceptable, they were pardoned,"Lucretia exclaimed.

"No dear, not all of them..."

"Yes, the most egregious offenders are being handled..." Coolidge shifted with a determined look.

"AH! Here we are," Coolidge seemed relieved that the conversation could change as the Garfield's home came into view.

"Is that a fence? What did you do to my house?" Garfield turned to Coolidge who opened his mouth to respond before being stopped by Gerry.

"It was the Detachment's idea sir. It is not safe to hold impromptu porch parties these days." Garfield and Lucretia both looked shocked.

"Nonsense Captain!" Lucretia blurted out.

"Well, yessense? Madam. Before, anyone could just stroll up! You saw the crowd back in town, I'm sure you wouldn't want their kind sauntering up to the door..." Coolidge interjected.

"'Their kind'? Those are citizens of the United States! I have no problem with them coming to the door, tear that fucking fencing down," Garfield bursted, he was uncharacteristically angry.

"I'm afraid we can't do that sir, it's my duty to ensure your complete safety and the city is not safe, is that right Lieutenant?" Coolidge nodded to Gerry as the carriage came to a halt. A USPPD guard checked the carriage before opening the large metal gate. Garfield glared at him. The guard sheepishly nodded.

"What has this god forsaken country come to?"