Who should George H W Bush's VP pick be?

• Barry Goldwater

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Nancy Johnson

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Victor G Atiyeh

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dan Quayle

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Donald Regan

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Paul Laxalt

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ron opens his eyes and finds he's lying on his back. He looks up to see a grey skies and falling ashes and then a person's head and face appears before. That person's thin face had a moustache and black short hair, he looks at Ron with bemused look and spoke, "Mr. President, it seems that a poor chap like you has the misfortune of fallen into my humble abode." Ron croaked, "What place!?"

The person replied, "Something that was described by literary bloke named Dante and another bloke named Milton. I, sometimes, perferred the version that was depicted by that scene in that 1960s space opera tv show and how I like the screaming done by the actor, Jeffrey Hunter. Oh, by the way, my father didn't feel amused by your antics when you were in DC and decided on having one of you sent here. As for the good news, I'm not going to supervise your stay here because I'm joining the human race amongst your americans but the bad news is that I've ordered one of my staff to take personal attention to your final sentencing."

"Oh, I forgot to introduce myself, Mr. Morningstar, Lucifer Morningstar at your service," said The Devil as he gives out his open left hand to the prone US President.

Ron opens his eyes and finds he's lying on his back. He looks up to see a grey skies and falling ashes and then a person's head and face appears before. That person's thin face had a moustache and black short hair, he looks at Ron with bemused look and spoke, "Mr. President, it seems that a poor chap like you has the misfortune of fallen into my humble abode." Ron croaked, "What place!?"

The person replied, "Something that was described by literary bloke named Dante and another bloke named Milton. I, sometimes, perferred the version that was depicted by that scene in that 1960s space opera tv show and how I like the screaming done by the actor, Jeffrey Hunter. Oh, by the way, my father didn't feel amused by your antics when you were in DC and decided on having one of you sent here. As for the good news, I'm not going to supervise your stay here because I'm joining the human race amongst your americans but the bad news is that I've ordered one of my staff to take personal attention to your final sentencing."

"Oh, I forgot to introduce myself, Mr. Morningstar, Lucifer Morningstar at your service," said The Devil as he gives out his open left hand to the prone US President.
That's one take on it yes haha.

Both Gary Hart and Jesse Jackson were running behind Mondale in both endorsements and money, thus they both kept their campaign to separate parts of the country. Hart campaigned in New Hampshire and had been since last September. Jackson was focusing on the south and the black support he could gain there. There were five other candidates in the running, most of whom weren't taken seriously, they didn't have any real base of support.
Following President Reagan's death many in the Democratic Party were concerned. With Bush in office many high up Democrats believed that they could win the election, but they didn't think it could be won by Mondale, Hart or Jackson. The one person with the highest viewpoint on this was Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill. O'Neill thought Bush was a hanger on, a man with little political achievement who had linked himself to an ideology he didn't believe in for power, he would like nothing better than to see him out of office, however he was under no illusion as to how difficult that would be: a booming economy, a popular dead President and little opposition within his own party, while the Democrats still had a long primary to go through with three main candidates, none of whom looked like they would win an election. Mondale was a failed liberal Vice President known for flubbing lines and speaking without a filter. Hart was a small time Senator from out west who nobody knew anything about. And then there was Jackson, a radical black civil rights leader who would tear the Party apart in the process of losing the election.
In the time following Reagan's death O'Neill began trying to convince another candidate to throw their hat in the ring. A more serious candidate who could take on Bush and win back the Senate. He, his aides and many of his fellow congressmen decided to try and convince another candidate to run. Among those they thought about convincing were:
  • Joe Biden (Sen-DE): A capable campaigner and foreign policy giant, known for his blue-collar credentials and support among unions in the east. He was a popular Senator who could come claim experience and had a base ready to support him. His one problem was his gaffe prone mouth.
  • Michael Dukakis (Gov-MA): A popular governor from New England who had presided over an economic growth period known as the "Massachusetts Miracle". The downside with Dukakis was that Republicans would savage him for his unpopular tax hikes during his first term.
  • Bill Clinton (Gov-AR): The young governor of Arkansas who was regarded as a southern moderate with liberal ideals, he seemed the best of both worlds for the Democrats. However as Arkansas had two year terms it was likely that Clinton would want to run for re-election (Clinton had his whole political future ahead of him), plus there were concerns as to Clinton's private life.
  • Dick Gephardt (Rep-MO): A rising star in the Democratic Party, as a western conservative Gephardt could win the support of much of the western and southern establishment and could easily take on Mondale on that front. However despite that advantage he was unlikely to be supported by the northern liberal base who mostly supported Mondale.
  • Al Gore (Rep-TN): As another Southerner, Al Gore was a moderate who could win back the south that the Republicans had taken from the Democrats, as a moderate he could speak to all wings of the party, and as an environmental campaigner he could breath new life into the party. However as an unknown quantity he could be potentially damaging to the Democrats, particularly if Bush proved difficult to dislodge.
Any of these candidates could run for election and win, that O'Neill was sure off. Thus following the draw up of candidates, the speaker and many congressmen set about trying to convince at least one of the three men to run for President. As the weeks moved on and Robertson announced candidacy to Bush, O'Neill's plan for a new candidate was now in overdrive, Al Gore had backed out and decided to run for Senate instead. Leaving Biden, Dukakis, Gephardt and Clinton.
Gephardt announced his candidacy three weeks before Iowa and began campaigning heavily in Iowa. Gephardt had been convinced to run by Tom Harkin, his co-representative
from Iowa, who convince him that if he ran he would have his endorsement and he would help him win endorsements from fellow westerners. As a conservative westerner he managed to win the endorsements from several high up southern and western Democrats. As he campaigned in Iowa saying that: "The extremism in this country on both the right and the left is out of control, we in the Democratic Party need to move back to the center to where the people in this country live. We need to convince those who voted for Reagan last time to vote for us this time." The Des Moines Register showed Gephardt moving up in the polls, by the eve of the Iowa caucus Gephardt was almost neck and neck with Mondale.
Biden was considering a run for the White House, but was unsure as to whether it was too late to run. Besides there was no way he could compete with Mondale in the east, and Hart was running flat out in New Hampshire so there was no inning for Biden that he could see.
Clinton was concerned. He felt he could run for President successfully, but didn't feel he could succeed. However many southern democrats who hadn't endorsed Jackson or Gephardt kept trying to convince him to run. If there was anyone who could win the south, they thought, was a moderate southerner with liberal ideas, so he was open to it.
O'Neill himself had a meeting with his state governor Dukakis. O'Neill informed the Governor that if anyone could beat Bush it was him, and he could promise him that O'Neill would use his substanstive influence as Speaker to help him get endorsements and funding from behind the scenes (which he was already doing for Gephardt, and planned on doing for Biden and Clinton). Dukakis told him that he would only run if he could be assured that Bush was actually vulnerable, and that there even was a way to beat Mondale. And Tip responded that "The windows closing Mike, you're either in or you'r out."
A few days later the Iowa caucus, and while the Republicans were flustered over the strong showing by Pat Robertson, Democrats were equally flustered:
Democratic Iowa Caucus.png

Walter Mondale 24’721 39.9% 25
Dick Gephardt 18’092 29.2% 18
Gary Hart 7’497 12.1% 7
Uncomitted 4’585 7.4%
Alan Cranston 2’602 4.2%
John Glenn 1’487 2.4%
McGovern 1’239 2.0%
Jessie Jackson 929 1.5%
Ruben Askew 805 1.3%
Ernest Hollings 19 0.0%
*(Hollings won 0.03% as of current estimation)
The results came as a shock to both the candidates and the Democratic establishment. Mondale had performed better than expected in the caucus. Gephardt's lose had spooked both Clinton and Biden, who now believed that Mondale was going to be impossible to defeat. Dukakis told O'Neill that: "Maybe you should put all of your effort behind Mondale than me."

Last edited:
I apologies for the very late upload, my country has been going through some stuff. But I'm back now.
In other news I can announce that after a closely fought contest, that Nancy Johnson republican representative from the state of Connecticut will become President George H W Bush's, but more on that later.

I apologies for the very late upload, my country has been going through some stuff. But I'm back now.
In other news I can announce that after a closely fought contest, that Nancy Johnson republican representative from the state of Connecticut will become President George H W Bush's, but more on that later.

George H.W. Bush was pretty conservative in temperament, and picking the first female VP candidate (Ferraro, for whom Nancy Johnson is a pretty close analogue) in OTL's 1984 was seen as a hail-mary-shoot-the-moon desperation pick. 1984 is only two years after the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment, which was pretty much entirely due to latent sexism in the electorate. I just can't see Bush making this pick.

George H.W. Bush was pretty conservative in temperament, and picking the first female VP candidate (Ferraro, for whom Nancy Johnson is a pretty close analogue) in OTL's 1984 was seen as a hail-mary-shoot-the-moon desperation pick. 1984 is only two years after the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment, which was pretty much entirely due to latent sexism in the electorate. I just can't see Bush making this pick.
Don't worry I'm going to cover that, but thanks for bringing it up.

There was a lot of trouble in paradise for Bush, he had won Iowa by the skin of his teeth, and now had not one but two rivals for the nomination. Pat Robertson and Jack Kemp represented both sides of conservatism: evangelical social-conservativism and supply-side economics. Recent polling still put Bush ahead, but both Kemp and Robertson were rising throughout the country.
There were other problems closer to home. The criminal reform bill Bush had been hoping to pass had stalled in the house, and his rollout for VP had been delayed. Bush had been hoping to unveil Nancy Johnson as his Vice President after Iowa, Rollins had been convinced to hold back. He had seen polling that showed that, while Johnson was supported overwhelmingly by moderates and women, their approval ratings would take a hit under conservatives who were concerned that Bush wasn't doing enough to show his conservative credentials. However Rollins was boosted after seeing that if they nominated a woman and boosted her as the American Margaret Thatcher their ratings would not be as hard hit under conservatives. With that Bush was prepared to announce his VP pick three days after Iowa.
However, Bush was adamant that they do a press conference in DC to showcase the new VP, and his advisors stressed that he should go to New Hampshire. Ever since Iowa and Kemp jumping in the race, he had been running flat out in the Granite State, and it was beginning to pay off. If Bush wanted to throw off the twin monkeys of Robertson and Kemp now, and he needed too, then he needed to win New Hampshire, he needed to show that the North-East was off limits to anyone but him, even a New York Representative.
Bush was also adamant about staying in DC because he had a reform bill that was crashing and he needed it to pass or his claim to be the successor to Reagan's legacy would be damaged.
With the triple problem of the VP, New Hampshire and the Reform Bill. Rollins decided for the President that he should do a quick swing through New Hampshire and announce his VP pick at a press conference in Manchester. Bush agreed as long as he could come straight back for the reform bill discussions with congress.

#

The press had gathered in a throng at the front of the stand, their cameras stood recording an empty podium. CNN and NBC reported that the President had a "big announcement planned in New Hampshire". Their were supporters of the President gathered in a huge throng behind the press, with others behind the stand on a large bleacher.
When the President strode out hand in hand with his wife and three of their sons: George, Jeb and Melvin. The waved to the crowd as they began to cheer, the flashing of cameras going off like fireworks.
As Bush took his place at the podium, his family members taking seats behind him, people couldn't help but notice that their were two empty chairs.
"My predecessor, Ronald Regan," Bush began. "Ran on a platform of fixing America, a mission long in the making and badly needed for this country. A mission that he, sadly, did not live to see completed, but he entrusted me and all of you." He pointed out to the crowd. "With making sure that this mission, that his legacy lives on. Because I tell you now my friends America is still broken, it still needs fixing, and that is why I am running for President of the United States." At that the crowd erupted in a roar. When they had finished Bush continued, "And that is why I am here today, in the Great State of New Hampshire." Another cheer. "To announce something long overdue. That the revolution that Ron started in this country will continue, and it is up to you." Another gesture towards the crowd. "All of you to continue it. And that is why I firmly believe that new blood, a new generation, is required to the path of continuing to take our country back. Because, it cannot be one man, one President who does all these things, it needs to be all of you, coming together, to take your country back."
With another cheer, Bush had reached the crescendo of his speech, with a smile and a flourish he said: "And now we get to why I am truly here today, and not just to sample your wonderful whether." That elicited a laugh from the crowd, if they had been outside the snow would have covered them. 2No, I came to make an announcement. I know many of you." He nodded towards the press. "Have wondered who my Vice Presidential pick will be, well wonder know more because their identity will soon be known. But before they are revealed I will give you some back story.
"The person I have chosen is of the new generation I spoke of before. They have the tenacity and perseverance to go on when people tell them to stop or wait, and they never let you talk down to them. Ron was like that, Margaret Thatcher is like that, and much like the Iron Lady when the going gets tough the tough get ready to fight." Now came the big reveal, ok invoked Ron's memory check, tied her to Thatcher check, now lets see how they react to this. "Back home in Texas we have a saying: when your father says a fact you argue with him, when your mother says it you listen. "When I was growing up in Connecticut my mother used to tell me: "son being a man is good, people will listen to you and you've got a leg up in life, but any woman will still run rings around you."
Barbara Bush gauged the crowd, she had looked over her husband's speech and had helped him add those few lines involving women. She had been apprehensive at first, uncertain it was the time, but now she was certain, her husband's pick had been the right on. "I would like to introduce you," Bush continued. "To my nominee for Vice President, as able a President as their ever was one and one hell of a string woman," the crowd gasped. "Connecticut Congresswoman: Nancy Johnson."

#

Nobody remembered the rest of the speech or even Johnson's. All the media and the public remembered was that moment, when Bush announced her name and she came walking out, a short bespectacled woman of 49, they knew that history had just been made.
The criticisms where harsh and fierce:
  • "Picking Johnson is a sign that Bush is not serious about continuing the Regan legacy. For all his talk of continuing the Regan Revolution, and the need for new blood, Ms Johnson solves none of those concerns. She is a middle of the road republican who is prepared to do deals with democrats to strip our country of all the progress we have made under Reagan" - Rep. Jack Kemp when asked about the new VP pick.
  • "Nancy Johnson is an attempt to win the women vote by the President, it is pure politics not a historic achievement for feminism. If the President really wants to win the woman vote then he should be committed to free childcare, paid maternity leave, equal pay; things woman actually need, not window dressing" - Rep. Geraldine Ferraro when asked about the historic nature of the Johnson pick.
  • "I think it's a scandal frankly. Not only has the President nominated someone who is in direct opposition to lowering taxes, but he has picked someone who supports abortion. I think it is abhorrent that the President take someone who supports the deaths of babies, and make them an inch away from the Presidency." - Pat Robertson addressing a crowd in Alabama shortly after the Johnson pick.
  • "I applaud the President on his historic pick today. However I ask him, why is he in New Hampshire making this announcement, forgive me, but he is the President and we need his leadership to pass a very sensitive bill that my caucus has valid concerns with. Where is the President?" - Speaker. Tip O'Neill on being asked by reporters about the pick.
The Johnson pick would stick around, and although it didn't prove as damaging as some within Bush's inner circle believed it would be, it damaged them enough early on to keep the primaries going for a little longer. Of course those who critisied would not have to moan for long, even the Preisdent who was even now rushing back to DC could not have forseen what would happen over the following year. Even Nancy Johnson the woman all this is about, could not have forseen that she wouldn't be the VP for long.
But in the meantime, as the President was flying back to DC the sun was setting on a good day for him, he had done a few campaign stops in the Granite State and announced his VP pick, it ha all gone swimmingly. He couldn't have known that a little snag was coming, to be announced tomorrow, a snag that would drag him back to the State he had just left kicking and screaming. And that snag was being organised by the New Hampshire Union Leader.

On the 24th of Febuary the New Hampshire Union Leader announced, with the support of ABC, that they would be holding a Republican Presidential Debate in New Hampshire at Dartmouth just days after hosting the Democratic one (which was occurring today) and the day before New Hampshire's first in the nation Primary.
President Bush was taken aback, he had just come back from the Granite state to find his White House in turmoil. Apparently Trent Lott, Minority Leader of the House, had gone on TV and said: "We are deeply concerned with the Presidents choice of VP, unless he is prepared to meet with us in the House I can not for see how we can confirm Rep. Johnson to the position of Vice President."
Ed Rollins nearly hit the roof: "What the fuck is wrong with these fuckers. First Grassley now Lott, this just keeps getting worse and worse. Are we a fucking party of just a group of arguing bitches fighting over scraps."
James Baker, White House Chief of Staff called for peace. "Let's just call them up from the hill, and meet with the Dems, they'll want to show that their above partisanship if our side won't."
"Oh that's just fucking great isn't it." Rollins shouted back. "Let O'Neill and his Irish concubines take all the glory. We are running an election campaign, if those dicks down in Congress can't see that this cock-up could cost us the White House then they are truly morons."
Barbara Bush was also unhappy. When she head the news in the East Wing she stated to Ted Johnson who was present: "Oh please they just want every excuse not to nominate a woman, the dinosaurs." To which Ted Johnson husband of the Representative this was all about, stated an agreement.
President Bush himself was unhappy with the fiasco, he was in a meeting with the Joint Chiefs, being briefed on the latest news from Afghanistan when he found out. He wasn't anymore happy when he came out of the meeting an hour later to find out that not only was he expected to go back to New Hampshire for a debate but that Democratic Leader Jim Wright had blown the idea of non-partisanship out of the water: "With the Republicans refusing to back their own President's nominee, I cannot in good conscience vote to confirm. The President will not get the support of the opposition if he cannot even convince his own people to support him."
During a meeting later on that day between Speaker O'Neill and Chief of Staff Baker, Baker laid into the speaker stating: "Can you not keep your people on a leash, we need a Vice President, and your members are poisoning the well."
The old Bay Stater shot back: "I believe it was your man Lott who did that. My people mealy voiced the very real concern that we, Democrats, can not be seen to be getting the President out of a jam, we are the opposition, not his friend."
Baker sighed. "Look Tip, we're close ok, why don't you come up to the White House and meet the President."
"If I was interested in being blathered too I would, instead I called you here."
Baker wince at the slight against his friend, but let it go. "Well what do you want?"
"I want a deal," O'Neill said plainly. "My side has concerns with the criminal reform, if I could meet with the President to discuss our concerns, then maybe we could come to an arrangement on Nancy."
Baker new exactly what Tip wanted. He wanted to tear the bill apart, make a big show of being top-dog, well he was never gonna do that, but perhaps they could come to an arrangement.
The next day the Speaker and the President had their first real meeting since he was inaugurated. Their were pleasantries and a photo taken, before they got down to the dirty work of politics.
O'Neill wanted items in the bill changed, Bush was willing to move on small things, strong regulation on the use of civil forfeiture and stronger language regarding crimes with guns, however he refused to be moved on the issue of marijuana and the death penalty.
O'Neill wanted more money invested in preventing drug use rather than investing in prisons and making petty criminals violent criminals in prison. Bush was opposed to this, his view was prison was incentive to not commit a crime, as such he supported the death penalty and wished for it to be reinstated. His argument was that a strong criminal system would reduce crime by increasing the risk of committing the crime. O'Neill's was the opposite, he viewed putting young men and women into prison for minor crimes a travesty and would create more crime.
The President refused to be moved, instead offering token language within the bill that would water down the use of the Death Penalty. However it was at that point that the Speaker pulled out his ace.
"If you change the bill so that we have you scrap the death penalty and include in your next budget money to target the causes of drug crime, then I will endorse you VP choice and attempt to get my people on board.
No one had suspected this. Bush was hesitant, however he had heard from Bob Dole, the frontrunner for future Republican leader, that unless he get significant Dem support, the Johnson confirmation would be dead in the water.
The President was in a corner and he had no way out. He was O'Neil giving him a hand out in return for scrapping key parts of the Reagan legacy. He was sure he could sell the bill to the people, it was Congress he was worried about. Then again, he thought, he's only asking for the removal of the Death Penalty, the money for drug crime will be in a separate bill.
Bush agreed, shaking the Speaker's hand and promising to be in touch. He felt a great weight lift off his shoulder and he sighed. Now if only the primaries would go that fast.
Unfortunately for Bush he had to deal with a state he did not want to be but had no choice but to go to. In 1980 he had lost the Granite State to Regan despite campaigning hard. And now he had to deal with another primary campaign.
Since the announcement of the debate Bush's campaign inner circle had been in turmoil. Rollins wanted Bush to travel back to New Hampshire for the next few days, campaign and go though debate prep. Baker thought the President should stay in the capital, he was still ahead in the polls. Rollins argued that if the President wasn't seen at the debate or campaigning then people would think of him as elitist, and that was dangerous particularly with rural conservatives making up the bulk of the base.
Bush agreed with Rollins that he needed to be seen at the debate, however he also agreed with Baker, polling showed he was above Kemp and Robertson, with Robertson falling away in New Hampshire but rising in the west and south.
Rollins had formed a working plan. All Bush had to do was win New Hampshire, Maine again, and perform well on Super Tuesday where many southern states were in play. However if he wasn't going to campaign in New Hampshire he had to perform well in the debate, he had to crush Kemp and Robertson utterly. Bush agree and attempted to throw himself into debate prep. However he kept getting distracted, he still had meetings and a family life to contend with. His wife and eldest son were having trouble with being thrust into the limelight as First Family. Junior's alcoholism was being talked about on TV and in the newspaper, although that was a good thing as it seemed to spur him to quit alcohol. Barb was having trouble with the families life being broadcast on the public sphere, she hated when the media cast aspersions on her children. She was a reserved woman in public, but in private she was a hell cat, and lord help anyone who got in her way.
When he went into the Debate prep, Bush was often distracted and he could never finish a session, often going over things, and getting indignant. He was not a strong debater, and as a new President being thrown into the campaign, had trouble balancing the aspects of the campaign he needed to master while also dealing with the demands of the Presidency. But Rollins was optimistic, Bush was a capable debater if not an efficient one, he had his ideas and he laid them out, that was the strategy they stuck to.
Their one problem was "Voodoo Economics". The statement had been made during a 1980 debate between the President and his predecessor, Bush had made the remark regarding Reagan's supply-side economics. Rollins and Baker came together to decide on a plan to kill the remark which was sure to come up, Kemp was using it at many rallies and campaign stops to great effect, and they needed to defuse the bomb. The perfect stage was at the debate.
On the morning of the 27th, Bush boarded Air Force One with his wife and flew into Manchester. Rollins flew with him, while Baker remained back at DC to hold down the fort.
Neither of them would know what a disaster the night would be, and how close they would come to loosing it all. The Run of '84 had well and truly began.

Last edited:
There were two debates held in New Hampshire, the democratic one held on the 24th and the Republican one held on the 27th, the day before the primary. The Democratic debate was attended by all eight candidates, it was their last chance to sell themselves to the New Hampshire voters before the primary. On the debate stage was former VP Walter Mondale, Colorado Senator Gary Hart, Illinois Reverend Jesse Jackson, Ohio Senator John Glenn, former South Dakota Senator George McGovern, former Florida Governor Reuben Askew, California Senator Alan Cranston, and Missouri Representative Dick Gephardt. (Ernest Hollings having dropped out after his Iowa failure.
upload_2016-9-25_17-7-5.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-7-13.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-7-42.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-8-21.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-8-58.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-9-34.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-10-4.png
upload_2016-9-25_17-16-29.png

The debate was three hours long and each candidate had something to gain from it. Mondale needed to keep his campaign rolling, he was ahead in the state despite Hart closing in on him, if he could win the primary he would be unbeatable. Hart needed a win, he was the underdog and if he couldn't win here he wouldn't win anywhere. Jackson wasn't concerned about New Hampshire, he was focusing on the south, however he knew that if he couldn't win over white liberals then, no matter how many black votes he received he would never win. John Glenn knew that he ha to do well in New Hampshire or his campaign would be dead in the water, he had to show the democratic votes that they should invest in his campaign. McGovern needed a win to vindicate himself, the 1972 runner up hoped to use the presidential campaign as a spring board back into politics. Askew and Cranston had the most too loose, both were highly respected in old circles of the Democratic hierarchy, both knew their campaigns were running on fumes they needed something, anything, to be able to pull themselves out of this ditch. Gephardt had proved that he could run close in Iowa, now he needed to prove he could win. Bouncing back from his lose he campaigned harder in the state, put himself out there.
During the debate everybody piled on the front runner Mondale, Hart and Gephardt accused him of being the same tired liberal loser that had cost them the presidency in 1972 and 1980. McGovern supported his fellow liberal however was quick to criticise that he wasn't a people person and was too elitist. Jackson accused Mondale of not respecting blacks enough and being "too focused on white liberals, we need a large black turn out Mr Vice President, without that we are doomed." Askew and Cranston attacked him for his youth and inexperience. Mondale defected all of these attacks, savaging Hart and Gephardt in particular for being willing to "destroy our party for power". But it was John Glenn who was the star of the night, he was bright and energetic attacking Mondale that his ideas were "gobbledy gook" and not thought out.
A poll after the debate showed Mondale ahead, just. But the night of the election provoked much surprise.

Democratic NH Primary.png

Gary Hart 31’223 30.9% 6
Walter Mondale 26’474 26.2% 5
Dick Gephardt 16’470 16.3% 4
John Glenn 16’167 16% 3
Jessie Jackson 4’344 4.3%
George McGovern 3’233 3.2%
Alan Cranston 2122 2.1%
Ruben Askew 1011 1%

Following the announcement of the result Askew, Cranston and McGovern all dropped out and endorsed Mondale. Jackson was campaigning in Georgia when he found out he had won 4%. He shrugged and got on with his campaign. John Glenn and Dick Gephardt had problems of their own, they had both gone into New Hampshire with such promise, but came out with nothing. On the 30th of February there was a meeting between the two candidates plus Tip O'Neill who had convinced Gephardt to enter the race.
The Irish-American, having seen the success that Hart had shown offered a compromise between the two candidates, they would both drop out and endorse Hart freeing up their more moderate voters to gravitate towards him. A more reformist democratic nominee as opposed to Mondale who Tip believed was much too liberal to beat Bush, particularly with Ron's popularity. Tip fully believed that he would beat of Robertson and Kemp and prove the stronger for it. As such they needed a strong candidate.
That day both Glenn and Gephardt announced the suspension of their campaigns and that they would be endorsing Hart. later polling showed that Hart was beginning to draw close to Mondale. The democratic establishment was furious that this candidate from nowhere was winning over voters, they had all agreed to throw their weight behind Mondale, particularly after what happened in 1980 when Kennedy challenged Carter. At DNC meetings the speakers were frantic, "Mondale has the money, but that means nothing if he doesn't have the support", "The party base is still left-wing, they'll never elect a reformer like Hart", "Besides he's funding his campaign through grassroots efforts, it'll never work", on and on they went. All the while the Speaker sat in the back silently giggling to himself.

Last edited:
On the 27th the first Republican debate of the primary season was held at Dartmouth University a day before the Primary. The three attendants were President George H. W. Bush, Virginia Reverent Pat Robertson and New York representative Jack Kemp.

George H. W. Bush picture.jpg
Pat Robertson picture.jpg
Jack Kemp picture.jpg

As with the democrats each candidate had a valid reason for needing a win. The President needed to perform well, polls in New Hampshire had been closing between him and Kemp, he was the sitting President, the longer the Primary period was drawn out the weaker he would look as a President. Pat Robertson needed to show he was not only the successor to the Reagan Revolution, and he needed to prove that his ideas of religious conservatism were present in the American ideal. He was sure they were, however New Hampshire was not the place to prove it, he was seen as an outsider to the moderates, but he hoped he could at least poll second to Bush. Kemp, much like Robertson, needed to show he was the second choice to Bush, he also needed to prove he was the successor to the Reagan Revolution, not this band wagon jumping hack.
And so they all met on that cold February evening and debated the finer points of their politics and policy.
From the outset it was clear that Bush was willfully unprepared, both Robertson and Kemp had come prepared with attack lines to deliver to the President. Both men attacked Bush for his "voodoo economics claim"
How can a man claim to be in favour of an economic system, that he called not four years ago, quote "voodoo"", argued Kemp.
"That was before I fully understood supply-side economics, but since then I have fully embraced the prospect and the ideal as the right path for America, and I have used my short time in office to push for that," came Bush's retort. He and his campaign ha been working on that pitch, Rollins was sure it would kill the Voodoo claim dead to rights. But then Kemp came back.
"With respect Mr President, how can the American people trust a willful flip flopper," there were ooh's and aah's from the audience. "How do we know that you won't flip flop back to opposition for it?"
"I think the American people are very clear of my record," Bush hoped that would put an end to it. He wasn't a flip-flopper, he had had valid concerns about Reagan's economic plan but after four years he became sure that it was the way to go.
But then Kemp revealed his ace. "Are they, we already have clear evidence of your flip-flopping. You gutted Reagan's criminal reform bill, cowed down to the liberal Democrats in the House, in order to get your Vice President elected."
As Bush tried to speak the crowd booed him, for the President the debate was over he had lost, but he still had 60 minutes to go. Ed Rollins threw his shoe at the TV he was watching, shouting and raving at anyone who would listen. Head speechwriter Peggy Noonan was calmer, stating to her assistant that Bush needed a lot of work.
The debate continued.
Robertson attacked the President for not being a true believer in god, following his bowing down to "demon-crats" on criminal reform. "They are gonna put drugs in the hands of your children, and this president has done nothing to stop it."
The entire debate was a bully-Bush moment, the only time Kemp and Robertson went after each other was when Robertson criticised both candidates for not quoting the Bible enough.
"Reverent, God does not run this country," Kemp said.
"No, but he runs the hearts of it's people," Robertson retorted. This earned the biggest applaud of the night.
At the end of the night everyone was agreed that Bush had blown it, most agreed that Kemp had come out on top and that Robertson might place a close second.
The next day voting began, at the midnight voting in the small communities in northern New Hampshire showed Bush ahead, Kemp in a close second and Robertson on a far third. As voting was cast Robertson left the state, making his way to Wyoming, stating he "hoped to get a head of the compition, no reason to stay the campaign's been done." Most pundits saw this as an admission of defeat.
By 11 o'clock the results became clear.

Republican NH Primary.png

Jack Kemp 93'747 48.8% 11
George H W Bush 74'537 38.8% 8
Pat Robertson 23'821 12.4% 2

Kemp nearly won fifty percent of the state, this cemented in everyone's mind that the Republican primaries would run on for longer than expected. Most pundits still believed that Bush would still prevail, and he did, later that week at the Maine Caucus Bush won.

Maine Repunlican Caucus.png

George H W Bush 10'525 53.6 20
Jack Kemp 7'894 40.2
Pat Robertson 1'217 6.2%
Uncommitted 8’068 4.2

Bush's 50% of the win resulted in him winning all 20 delegates. However his victory solely in the urban south, Kemp's victory in the conservative middle, and Robertson's rural religious north, Maine was used as a clear example of the rest of the primaries. Many conservative pundits saw this as a sign of Bush's weakness among the Republican base. Bush was boosted by his victory in his second state, but still felt he should be doing better, he decided to go full throttle into the campaigning for Super Tuesday, he and Ed Rollins wanted to win a majority in every region: the west, the south, the north east, and the mid-west. On the tenth the results on the Wyoming Caucus came out, they were not good news for Bush.

Wyoming Republican Caucus.png

Pat Robertson 13
Jack Kemp 2
George H W Bush 1
Uncommitted 1

The news was unwelcome. Evangelists, who had given Bush a win in Iowa over Robertson, had become turncoats. Wyoming Representative Dick Cheney called out the President after this: "If our President can not win the three groups within our party, how can he hope to win an election." The point was well made, Rollins still yelled about it though, as he was prone too.
Wyoming was a bitter blow to the President, he had come third, and held the same delegate total as Uncommitted. But if anything this was the fire underneath him and his campaign, Bush through himself straight into the campaign, running adds in Super Tuesday states and visiting each of them in turn, standing on stage with his family. His campaign was worried though, since his loss in New Hampshire a lot of donors were becoming tight lipped, they weren't funneling their cash towards Kemp's operation, but they were reviewing their options. Members of the campaign brought the concerns to Rollins himself that if Bush continued with the Ads and campaign stops their wouldn't be any money for the General. Rollins calmed them, stating that: "We need to spend money to make money, if we can win on ST then the donors will flow more cash to us, even those who are funneling Kemp's and Robertson campaign's might have to think again. But we need to make up the deficit first, so relax we will have the money for the campaign."

#

1988 Republican Primary as of March 11

1984 GOP Primary Map.png

Current State Count
Bush: 2
Kemp: 1
Robertson: 1

Current Delegate Count
Bush: 49 (2.2%)
Robertson: 31 (1.4%)
Kemp: 13 (0.6%)

Current Popular Vote Count
Bush: 141'156
Kemp: 101'641
Robertson: 70'757

Last edited:
In the real world, Bush will choose a vice-president acceptable to conservatives (as he did in 1988!) and will have no serious primary opposition.

In the real world, Bush will choose a vice-president acceptable to conservatives (as he did in 1988!) and will have no serious primary opposition.
You'd think so wouldn't you, but he was trying to present himself as a conservative while trying to keep the moderates on his side. Besides a lot of conservatives would have concerns with '84 Bush especially thanks to his Voodoo Economics statement.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but he was trying to present himself as a conservative while trying to keep the moderates on his side. Besides a lot of conservatives would have concerns with '84 Bush especially thanks to his Voodoo Economics statement.

That was ancient history by 1984. Reagan chose him as VP, he endorsed Reagan's economic program including the tax cuts, and if he becomes president as a result of Reagan's death, the party will rally behind him. He may get some token opposition but certainly not from Kemp--after all, Kemp was willing to be the running mate of as un-Reaganite a Republican as Bob Dole...

That was ancient history by 1984. Reagan chose him as VP, he endorsed Reagan's economic program including the tax cuts, and if he becomes president as a result of Reagan's death, the party will rally behind him. He may get some token opposition but certainly not from Kemp--after all, Kemp was willing to be the running mate of as un-Reaganite a Republican as Bob Dole...
Quite possibly, but who knows. Isn't that why we write this stuff?

With only three candidates left on both sides and the race still wide open Super Tuesday looked to be important on both sides for the first time ever. On the Democratic side the Wyoming and Maine races gave high profile wins to Hart. Mondale came second with Jackson polling a close third in Maine.
Democratic Maine Caucus.png

Gary Hart 10’677 63.4% 14
Walter Mondale 3’604 21.4% 5
Jessie Jackson 2560 15.2% 3

Democratic Wyoming Caucus.png

Gary Hart 2’491 70.6% 9
Walter Mondale 854 24.2% 3
Jessie Jackson 184 5.2%

With victories in three of the first four states, Hart began to pull away from Mondale, however the victories cemented the battle lines. The south looked like it was going for Jackson, the west and new England for Hart, and the Midwest and industrial north-east for Mondale. This was confirmed by the candidates supporters, Mondale had the establishment, unions and the liberals; Hart had the support of the future generations, the more conservative democrats and those who had voted Reagan but weren't as swayed by Bush; and Jackson had the African-American and other minorities, who had been increasingly important for a democratic victory.
Before Super Tuesday the primaries looked like this:
1984 Democratic Primary Map.png

Current State Count
Hart: 3
Mondale: 1

Current Delegate Count
Hart: 61* (1.8%)
Mondale: 33 (1%)
Jackson: 3 (0.1%)
*Thanks to the endorsement of both Glen and Gephardt, Hart gained their delegates on top of his own.

Current Popular Vote Count
Walter Mondale: 55'653
Gary Hart: 51'888
Dick Gephardt: 34'562
John Glenn: 17'654
Jessie Jackson: 8'017
Uncommitted: 5'508
Alan Cranston: 4'724
George McGovern: 4'472
Ruben Askew: 1'816
Ernest Hollings: 19

#

On the Republican side Bush was campaigning throughout the country, and so was Kemp, taking snipes at each other such as: "My opponent may believe he has a better grasp of the "Reagan Revolution" than me, but I was there with Ron everyday." "To have the President Regan's successor be someone who believed so much in his ideology that he called it Voodoo, that would be an insult to all those who voted for our great President." This bitter campaign across the nation was raising headlines. Particularly those questioning whether the Party can even come together behind whomever won.
Bush had received a boost from Nancy Reagan who had endorsed Bush just that week, stating that "My husband would be proud to have a successor like President Bush, the fact that some people would prefer to use this moment of mourning as a power grab is an insult to the memory of my husband."
Rollins made sure that quote was blasted across every newspaper and media source throughout America.
The other good news was that Nancy Johnson had been voted in as Vice-President:
House
For 342 - 236 Democrats/
106 Republicans
Against 67 - 25 Democrats/42 Republicans
Abstain 26 - 8 Democrats/18 Republicans
Senate
For 93 - 50 Republicans/43 Democrats
Against 7 - 4 Republicans/3 Democrats
Abstain 1 - 1 Democrats
This victory for Bush was very gratifying at a time when his popular polling was falling, thanks to the negative campaigning in the Republican field, and the bashing he had taken from those on the other side of aisle, his personal popularity was hovering somewhere around 40%. He had hoped his show of bi-partisanship with the criminal reform bill would allow him to pick up some much needed steam, but instead the bill passed the Senate by voice vote and entered the House. House Republicans managed to introduce many of the more conservative elements that had been scrapped from the bill, which made Democrats balk. The Speaker phoned up Minority Leader Bob Michel, and let him know that unless he could get his caucus under control then he would have no choice but to advocate all Dems voting against the bill, killing it.
What was worse the Democrats had supported Bush's VP choice, but the Republicans had turned round and shot the bi-partisanship effort in the foot. This made O'Neill and the Democrats look better by comparison. After all night of working from Michel and his Whip Trent Lott, they managed to get the bill amended in a Conference Committee and scrap the conservative language and passed it just before Super Tuesday.
Presidential candidates on both sides criticised the bill:
"The bills passing is nothing but a failure of bi-partisanship, our side was willing to come to an agreement, and his side refused, as your President I would never let that kind of betrayal slide," - Sen. Gary Hart
"The passage of this bill is nothing but a shame on the part of this American Government, it offers no protection for black men and woman from police brutality," Rev. Jessie Jackson
"The President has decided to do a deal with the Democrats instead of preserving Reagan's legacy, this just shows you what kind of President he is," - Rep. Jack Kemp
"The passage of this bill is further proof of how distant the President has become from the American people, how much further will we let this so-called "Regan Revolution" go, until all our money is controlled by his business interests? Until we're arrested just for being poor, or disabled?" - VP. Walter Mondale
"This bill is nothing but a watershed moment in American history, the day that the President shamed our Founding Fathers, he has allowed drug abuse and pornography to be permissible. We as good Christian Americans need to show that this will not stand," Rev. Pat Robertson

On the Democratic side, Mondale was polling badly. Hart was breathing down his neck, he had nearly double the amount of delegates that were sworn to Mondale and was beginning to catch up in the polls, several polls even had him ahead. What was worse was that donation were beginning to dry up, the unions in particular were getting skittish and without their support he would be dead in the water.
Bob Beckel, his campaign manager, and Joan attempted to cheer him up. He was still ahead, he early states were just holding him back, when he gets out into it and more states are voting, his delegates and poll numbers would go up again. He still had a larger campaign than either Jackson or Hart and he could beat them both.
Beckel explained it best. "If you can win every state outside of the west and south, we can choke it up to a win. If we can focus our efforts on the Midwest and the north-east, the states with the most delegates, then we will have a majority before we even get to the convention. That's our path forward."
Mondale had a more pessimistic view. "But we already lost two states that we were supposed to win."
"Admittedly their were some hiccups, but you're still on track to win the nomination," Beckel said.
"Well after Tuesday, we can see were we've won and lost, and go from there," Joan suggested.
"Yes, that's a good plan, I like that plan." He stood up and went over to a map of the states, it was covered in coloured writing showcasing green, yellow, and red, showing how likely they were to vote for their candidate.
"So if we can win every one of these green, plus a few of the yellow," he pointed to the states running in two days. "Then we will no we're on track."
"And if we do badly?" Mondale asked.
"Then we will come back on Wednesday and find were we went wrong and how to fix it," Beckel said. "Don't worry Walter, we got this."

#

Gary Hart couldn't have been happier. The opposite to Mondale, he was loving all the attention the media and pundits were giving him. Before his campaign they had barely noticed him, but after his surprising win New Hampshire, that had made the media elite sit up, and then when he went on to win the two states after. Now, with Super Tuesday looming, he was feeling better than ever. He genuinely felt that he could win this.
Since his win in New Hampshire, the donations to his campaign had increased three fold. Hart was sure his reform message was getting through to the base, the American people didn't want the fiscal conservativism of Reagan, but at the same time the old New Deal liberalism of Mondale had turned people off. They wanted economic responsibility from the Democrats, and someone like Mondale, much like McGovern, would not be able to win when given a choice between old school liberalism and extreme conservatism. The American people wanted change, and Hart was sure he could deliver it.
As he held a rally in Las Vegas, Hart was jubilated to hear from members of the Nevada Culinary Workers Union, who shook his hand and said they were voting for him. Afterwards Hart informed his campaign about the praise he had received. Made him think that, while he wouldn't win over the unions themselves, he could win over their workers.
The democrats had found that the reliable democratic union worker vote had largely gone over to Reagan and the Republicans, and it was them they needed to win back. Hart, and his supporters, believed it was through new ideas and reformism, and that the tired old failed ideas of the New Deal had caused them to flee in the first place.
With the death of Reagan and the floundering of Bush, Hart was sure that the so called Reagan-Democrats would come back to the party that was their former home. Hart and his campaign believed that convincing the newly returned Democrats would be his boon, especially with the help of the media savvy Raymond Strother.
Hart was ahead and he loved it. He believed he could win the nomination, and beat Bush to win the Presidency.

#

Unlike the front runner, or the challenger, Jackson was under no illusions that he wouldn't win. It was all about the statement, he was the first Black man to ever run for the office of the President. His campaign aimed to push Democrats to the left, and recognise the importance of the black/minority vote. His plan to focus on the south was in an effort to deprive any candidate from winning a majority, in order to extract some concessions from the eventual nominee.
So far the plan was working, he was the one of the only candidates left in the running, currently polling third he was still being written off as a fringe candidate, but his campaigns internal polling showed he was doing very well among blacks in the south. If there was a high turnout among blacks on super-Tuesday, he could win his first states and stick it to those old white boys.
On a personal level Jackson could not stand either Hart nor Mondale. Hart he saw as a centrist, whose fiscal policies would doom his community, along with northern poor whites. Mondale he didn't like on a personal level, he was an establishment hack who only cared about votes, not people. Jackson could often be heard saying about Mondale that: "Hubert Humphrey was the last significant politician out of the St. Paul–Minneapolis."
He had no time for either of them. But knew full well that the country would end up choosing one of them, he just hoped to win enough delegates to be of note, and influence at least one of them. Jackson was well aware that his success or failure in the primaries would influence the future of African-Americans in politics.