The Whale has Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astrodragon

Interesting update. Both sides preparing for the next stage giving a breather.

The low level German attacks will hopefully give some useful experience to the US forces.

On the point:

Do you mean a drive west or a drive from the east? Because if he's making an attack NNE from a position on the SE side of the island he can't go much further east.

Steve

North along the west side of Etna to cut off the Italians, then hold and drive east to cut off all hope of relief. If he can do that he thinks the Italians will collapse.

North along the west side of Etna to cut off the Italians, then hold and drive east to cut off all hope of relief. If he can do that he thinks the Italians will collapse.

Astrodragon

OK, thanks for clarifying. I was think you were referring to the push west that would then follow to occupy the centre and west of the island.

Steve

The roundup of Jews begins in Paris. Its scale earns it the name 'La Grande Rafle,' The Great Raid. The five arrondissements are sealed off, causing whole parts of the city to be dislocated. Some advance warnings have leaked , spreading by word of mouth through the Jewish community, with the result that almost half of those on the lists have left home and escaped arrest.
9,000 French police combed the city, snatching every foreign born Jew they could find. They arrested 14,000 registered 'stateless' Jews. 6,000 have been sent to Drancy, the first stop on the long journey to Auschwitz; 3,000 children are among nearly 7,000 Jews gathered in the huge sports stadium called the Velodrome d'Hiver, waiting for their turn to go.

I wonder if this would have been affected by the replacement of the Vichy regime with direct occupation? Did the esteemed dragon specify what form the German occupation of France is currently taking? Is it as much a mess as their OTL occupation of Eastern Europe?

I wonder if this would have been affected by the replacement of the Vichy regime with direct occupation? Did the esteemed dragon specify what form the German occupation of France is currently taking? Is it as much a mess as their OTL occupation of Eastern Europe?

The Germans didn't see the French as their "race enemy" as they did the Slavs in Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Baltics, and Russia. But they DID so regarding the usual Nazi list of "undesirables", so as I and others posted earlier, there will be divisions between the Communists, Jews, Anti-Nazis, and Gaullists on the one side, and French Anti-Semites, natural collaborators, and remaining Vichyites on the other. The biggest differences here are that with the earlier Operation Anton, no Royal Navy bombardment of Oran, and a far more successful Allied cause ITTL, the Free French movement is so powerful that they have all but abandoned the title of "Free" and are just seen as the French. The Gaullists are seen now ITTL as THE legitimate representative government of the French Republic, whether you call them the Third Republic or the Fourth Republic. (1)

As to its being a "mess", there are inherent differences. No amount of collaboration on the part of Slavs in the East will EVER take them off the Nazis' hit list, only just delay their extermination while said collaborators assist the Nazis in going after those the Nazis want to murder more quickly. That is, Jews, Anti-Nazis, homosexuals, gypsies, Jehovah Witnesses, and so on.

With the French, I don't think the Third Reich lasted long enough for the Nazis themselves to get around to deciding what they would do with the French in the very long run. As one poster here said, what constituted an "Aryan" depended on what mood Hitler and Himmler were in on any particular morning.:mad::rolleyes:

There were extremely strong anti-Seimitic elements in France, that were neither fascist nor pro-German (see for example Charles Maurras and L'Action Francais which started during the Dreyfus Affair). Jews who were not born in France were one category that a large number of French were "happy" see to see removed, as undesirable aliens of the first order. Those Jews of French origin had sequential restrictions put on them by the OTL Vichy government, and did better in escaping deportation especially outside Paris as the French were disinclined to see "genuine" French citizens deported by the Boche. Of course there were those (in no small number) who were just as glad to see native French Jews hauled away. Overall a complex issue.

Efforts are also underway to bring the first temporary airstrips for fighters into action.

This looks a little slow - a WWII airstrip was a grass field, with a tent for the ground crew and a stack of fuel jerrycans

7 June The first Allied airstrip in Normandy (B-1) completed at Asnelle, northeast of Bayeux.

At times the RAF in North Africa were operating airstrips behind the German front lines

Also not sure Sicily is the best place for relying on armoured thrusts - too many hilltop villages.

This looks a little slow - a WWII airstrip was a grass field, with a tent for the ground crew and a stack of fuel jerrycans

At times the RAF in North Africa were operating airstrips behind the German front lines

Also not sure Sicily is the best place for relying on armoured thrusts - too many hilltop villages.

The main issue is having enough depth that it wont get overrun. They may be being too cautious, but no-one's done this before.

the only real location for an armoured thrust is SE of Etna. Which is where its going in. Otherwise its all local stuff.
The Italians know this quite well, of course. Sadly they are facing supieror tanks.

marathag

Banned

Marsden Matting, aka PSP, Pierced Steel Planking was just starting to be used on new CONUS airbases just before Pearl Harbor

Marston-Mat.jpg

Marsden Matting, aka PSP, Pierced Steel Planking was just starting to be used on new CONUS airbases just before Pearl Harbor

Marston-Mat.jpg

I would think that ITTL that would have absolute 100% L-L priority for the Med and Operation:Husky. It seems less reasonable to expect their absence than their presence.

OK, people. Am I really going to start hearing that this PSP was already in use by Wellington in his Peninsular Campaign?:p:rolleyes::p:p:D

No Wellington dd not use PSP in Spain. The Union and Confederates used a proto form in Pierced Wood Planking, AKA PWP, at the siege of Richmond, of course it stated out as plain wood planking but became pierced planking after the shooting started.

marathag

Banned
No Wellington dd not use PSP in Spain. The Union and Confederates used a proto form in Pierced Wood Planking, AKA PWP, at the siege of Richmond, of course it stated out as plain wood planking but became pierced planking after the shooting started.

heh.

they did have wooden corduroy roadways, though

leslies-battles-commanders_weldon_railroad_corduroy_road_.jpg

near the town where i live, they dug up remnants of a road like that, it used to form a long wooden road /bridge of 20km long, when this area used to have large peat bog areas. that road dates from 390 BC

Last edited:
near the town where i live, they dug up remnants of a road like that, it used to form a long wooden road /bridge of 20km long, when this area used to have large peat bog areas. that road dates from 390 BC
Not surprised, the Romans weren't the only big road-builders, and in fact I suspect quite a number of 'their' big roads were ones that already existed and they just ridid them.

Artaxerxes

Banned
Not surprised, the Romans weren't the only big road-builders, and in fact I suspect quite a number of 'their' big roads were ones that already existed and they just ridid them.

No way British Celts could have used chariots otherwise, a chunk of loan words passed into Latin from Celtic as well in regards to types of chariot/vehicle as well

Status
Not open for further replies.