The Whale has Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I'm a bit conflicted on this one. Bader is very admirable for the fact that he managed to do what he did, despite the obvious difficulties, but he used his influence to really hurt Park. Had he been in No. 11 group (either due to Duxford transferring, or him moving) then you could well be right It may be that Bader would have backed Park to the hilt. The thing is, without Bader's support, I don't think Leigh-Mallory could have pulled off what he did. I suspect that he may have tried, but think the result would have been less certain.

Leigh-Mallory seems to be a case of the right man in the wrong role. My reading suggests that, had he been out in the Western Desert, RAF support of the army, and general inter-service co-operation, would have developed so much quicker. This would, in turn, lead to better results and - more importantly - fewer deaths. This may view may lead me to apportion less blame on him than he deserves for the scandal that occurred at the top of Fighter Command...

I suppose that could be a double PoD in its own right. "Bader of Biggin Hill and the Double Barrelled Desert Eagle"?

I did read somewhere (perhaps on another forum) that the reason Bader didn't get to 11 Group, was because of his legs - try as he might he couldn't do as fast a take-off as was needed in 11 Group.
It may be because of his absence from the RAF that the advances in Fighter Command & Control weren't well enough known to him. And his ideas for having 12 Group Squadrons being scrambled much early (when the Lw was forming up over France), should have been corrected by Leigh-Mallory. The fact that he wasn't either meant that LM didn't understand the 'system', or was too bitter about being passed over for AOC 11 Group.

I agree with your second comment, i.e. the wonder how he got to be AOC 12 Group in the first place. He could have stayed in the Desert and/or had a posting to France in '39/40.

I suppose I'm a bit conflicted on this one. Bader is very admirable for the fact that he managed to do what he did, despite the obvious difficulties, but he used his influence to really hurt Park. Had he been in No. 11 group (either due to Duxford transferring, or him moving) then you could well be right It may be that Bader would have backed Park to the hilt. The thing is, without Bader's support, I don't think Leigh-Mallory could have pulled off what he did. I suspect that he may have tried, but think the result would have been less certain.
Let's face it though, if Leigh-Mallory had been in any way supportive of Park (as he was supposed to be) he'd have told Bader to shut-up and put-up, but he was after Park's job. No, Bader may have been involved in the dispute, but only out of ignorance of Park's situation, and it was Leigh-Mallory who let him.

I suppose that could be a double PoD in its own right. "Bader of Biggin Hill and the Double Barrelled Desert Eagle"?
Would be good, yeah.

On the subject of changes to the Eastern Front, if I remember rightly, Vichy was occupied after the fall of Algeria, so the Germans have less troops to commit to the East because of that.

EDIT: And for the extra 8,000 words, I'd love to see either some attention devoted to how France and her Empire are effected by the different war (even the dreaded politics).

fasquardon

Last edited:
One thing I noticed. It looked as though the control of Vietnam by Vichy (ordered to surrender to the Japanese IIRC) was copied over from OTL - even though Vichy had been folded by the Germans after French north Africa had gone Free TTL

I respect anyone who fought in The Battle of Britain (coming from this area of the UK you tend to) but what I can't believe was the rumours about a new BoB film that was going to be made by Hollywood.

Even the die hard american fuck yeah types were going WTF?

WTF!? Unless its a movie telling the tale of a fictitious American volunteer, the only advantage I can see to doing a do over of BoB is CGI and the political angle. BoB the movie was way too timid to allow for more than a nonspeaking walk-on for the Churchills.

At least with CGI you might see a BoB movie where the Luftwaffe has more than Me-109s, Stukas, and He-111s.

Why can't Pinewood do this story?

Very nice timeline, but I think things might be going too well for the Brits. It doesn't seem like a British war without some almighty clusterf*ck of some kind. The stroke of luck that really stands out in my memory is a duff engine delaying the sailing of Canadians to Hong Kong. (I know they're still in a pickle despite how much better they're doing than OTL, but still.)

That was needed to help Anglo-Canadian relations, as Hong Kong and Dieppe OTL poisoned UK-Canadian military relations for a long time to come. Also I suspect why Dieppe may not happen here. The Allies are already doing more than enough (causing Blue to short-circuit!?) ITTL to allow for the cancellation of something so unwise as that sorry raid. OTOH, without all the many lessons learned from that disaster...:(

Jinx999 said:
Do you have any plans for the Yamato? Because going down like a punk on a pointless suicide mission after achieving sweet FA is a rather sad end for a beautiful ship. Assuming this timeline is a democracy ;) :rolleyes:, I'd vote for being sunk by a US Navy surface force - that includes the refloated battleships from Pearl Harbour. Throw the poor Yanks a bone.

Meh. The Queen Mary was beautiful. I'll even say HMS Vanguard was beautiful. The Yamatos were big fat ugly fuel guzzling targets, with too tight tolerances and an abortion of a bulkhead scheme that was tailor made for capsizing (1). They wasted enormous levels of resources and slip time for a country that could spare neither. When I think of the number of aircraft carriers and first class tanks that Japan could have built for the cost of those ships...!

1) The only reason Yamato didn't capsize was due to "lucky" American torpedo hits scored on the opposing side of the ship, just as she threatened to turn turtle. The Musashi had no such "luck".

Jinx999 said:
I imagine that Hollywood won't have such a bad case of "America Wins the War" this timeline.

Um, this is the same industry that produced that recent submarine movie that I will not name:mad: about Americans seizing a U-Boat.

Jinx999 said:
I don't see this timeline as preventing the US Navy from becoming the post war dominant force, the economics are too strongly in favor (2) for them (although the RN ought to present the USN with a large lead weight with "Defender of the Freedom of the Seas" on it as a reminder of their responsibilities) - but taking out two and a half of the five most powerful navies in the world is a high note to end your dominance on. (3)

2) Fixed it, I don't think you meant "against".:confused:

3) :cool:Hear! Hear!:cool:

I do have plans for Yamato, I am thinking of something a bit more dramaitic than just being swarmed under

Well, if the Japanese had been willing to "risk her" more often, she might have had a glorious end OTL in the Solomons. Or at Samar, if Kurita's exhaustion hadn't gotten the better of him. Though the sight of dozens of destroyers taking her out would still constitute a "swarming", it would at least be a proper naval action. Think of a wolf pack dispatching a grizzly bear.

On the subject of changes to the Eastern Front, if I remember rightly, Vichy was occupied after the fall of Algeria, so the Germans have less troops to commit to the East because of that.

EDIT: And for the extra 8,000 words, I'd love to see either some attention devoted to how France and her Empire are effected by the different war (even the dreaded politics).

fasquardon

Except the level of occupation forces in occupying Vichy France wouldn't be all that demanding. IIRC, the Germans had the troops set aside as a contingency pretty much before the ink was dry on 3rd Republic France's original 1940 surrender.

With the Free French so much stronger in TTL, I wonder how the resistance is doing in mainland France?-Up-date?:)

Not much, I hope. They need to organize non-fighting cadres for later operations, not form up active partisan units and start blowing up things. The Gestapo was very effective at keeping the Resistance crushed in this period. I read somewhere that the life expectancy of a Resistance member was somewhere between 17 to 42 days!:eek: The Resistance was always at its best when acting in the roles of espionage and assisting escaping PoWs and refugees. It was when they performed acts of sabotage and assassination that they got the hammer dropped on them, their families, neighbors, etc, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, the deportations of the Holocaust made for natural collaborators of every devout Anti-Semite wherever they took place. It was only the combination of Barbarossa (here come the Communists!) and deportations of the populace to serve as slave workers (which is only just starting in France, IIRC) that really got the ball rolling in regards to public support for the Resistance. That, and later, the sense that the Liberation was coming.

Then again, collaborators were known to assist the Gestapo with the hunting down and killing of members of the Resistance with the Allied armies only one day's march away!:(:mad: Some people just can't see beyond the little square piece of cheese, I guess.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
One thing I noticed. It looked as though the control of Vietnam by Vichy (ordered to surrender to the Japanese IIRC) was copied over from OTL - even though Vichy had been folded by the Germans after French north Africa had gone Free TTL

That fact was noted rather humorously in an update by the Dragon.

The regime in FIC stayed in place - they didn't go over to the allies.

Let's face it though, if Leigh-Mallory had been in any way supportive of Park (as he was supposed to be) he'd have told Bader to shut-up and put-up, but he was after Park's job. No, Bader may have been involved in the dispute, but only out of ignorance of Park's situation, and it was Leigh-Mallory who let him.

I suppose you're right, Matt. Then again, it seems like the RAF didn't have a monopoly on superior officers neglecting to tell their subordinates to shut up and keep their noses out of things above their rank.

In other words, I've been reading about the shenanigans being pulled by Patton and Monty between September '44 and May '45 again...

Some people just can't see beyond the little square piece of cheese, I guess. :rolleyes:
Or alternatively realising that they're completely screwed and that if they're going to be having an appointment with M. Louis' famed invention at some point in the future or likely be stood against a wall/strung up much sooner then you might as well take as many of the bastards with you as you can.

It may be worth noting that cheese in France is rarely square. Does this change the perspective? :rolleyes:

It's square when you've cut a piece down to fit on the little brass catch-spring for the mousetrap!:p The perspective stays the same: The rat has about 1/100th of a second to enjoy his meal before the trap's spring engages and *squish*

Simon

You're giving collaborators way too much credit! Think of the mercenary concentration camp guards recruited by the Nazis from East European PoWs. They were specifically chosen on their intellectual dimwittedness!

Right then, hold onto your sanity because this is the story that was to be made into a BoB film.

It is the dark days of 1940 during the height of the Battle of Britain, pilots from all walks of life and dozens of countries are fighting the Third Reich over the skies of England.

Into this fight steps an American officer, leading a group of like minded individuals from the United States in what was to become known as Eagle squadron. Twelve men dedicated to defeating the Germans at all costs.

This officer destroyed dozens of aircraft and lead his men into a fight which they knew coud kill them all. This Eagle squadron succeeded and fought off the enemy helping to win the war.

Sounds a little bit overly america fuck yeah?

It gets worse.

The Squadron Leader was based on a man that not only didn't shoot down dozens of planes but in fact crashed and died on his second sortie having not shot down anything- to be played by Tom Cruise.

Eagle squadron did exist but not enough Americans joined the fight to fil out a full squadron of pilots and had french and polish with them. They did fight but nowhere near the number of kills as others like the free polish squadrons did.

So you can all see why people shot this film down before production could come close to beginning. They may have screwed around with the story of the HMS Bulldog and made it an american victory, they may have had D-Day with ony Americans in areas the yanks didn't even get to at that point in the war and leave out the other armies involved.

But NO-ONE is stupid enough to claim anyone but the RAF and the British empire won the Battle of Britain. (Not disparaging the others who got involved, trust me I've made damn sure of that at least once in the last few years.

Last edited:

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
I'm very glad the particular abortion of a movie has been, well, aborted before takeoff (or perhaps ripoff?). In the BoB even the Kiwis far outnumbered the Yanks involved. (No disrespect to those Americans who did participate, but really!) Hollywood:mad::mad::mad:

Right then, hold onto your sanity because this is the story that was to be made into a BoB film:

*BARF*

Ash's Broomstick said:
So you can all see why people shot this film down before production could come close to beginning. They may have screwed around with the story of the HMS Bulldog and made it an american victory, they may have had D-Day with ony Americans in areas the yanks didn't even get to at that point in the war and leave out the other armies involved.

*DRY HEAVES*

Ash's Broomstick said:
But NO-ONE is stupid enough to claim anyone but the RAF and the British empire won the Battle of Britain. (Not disparaging the others who got involved, trust me I've made damn sure of that at least once in the last few years.

After "Inglorious Basterds" they may have been led to believe that they could get away with it.:mad:

I'm very glad the particular abortion of a movie has been, well, aborted before takeoff (or perhaps ripoff?). In the BoB even the Kiwis far outnumbered the Yanks involved. (No disrespect to those Americans who did participate, but really!) Hollywood:mad::mad::mad:

Pinewood:):):) Would THEY consider doing an Anglophilic version of this film, starring a Briton and a "Lion Squadron" filled with a veteran cast of acclaimed British actors? Who should we cast in such a film? Opinions?

Pinewood:):):) Would THEY consider doing an Anglophilic version of this film, starring a Briton and a "Lion Squadron" filled with a veteran cast of acclaimed British actors? Who should we cast in such a film? Opinions?
Why would they bother? The 1969 Battle of Britain was basically that film so there is no need for a 'modern' version with CGI instead of real airplanes and locations.

If you want a gratutious cash-in remake of a perfectly good film you should probably be looking at Hollywood not Pinewood.

Why would they bother? The 1969 Battle of Britain was basically that film so there is no need for a 'modern' version with CGI instead of real airplanes and locations.

If you want a gratutious cash-in remake of a perfectly good film you should probably be looking at Hollywood not Pinewood.

Guys

The other problem is that it would need a lot more high tech graphics, which likely means the plot suffers, simply because you can't get the planes any more. I remember reading that one thing that help the 69 version was that they were able to work with the Spanish airforce, which was just retiring a lot of Me 109s.

Steve

So they could get the accents right, as in not having them all sound as if they have been to English Public Schools (read: private schools).

You're giving collaborators way too much credit! Think of the mercenary concentration camp guards recruited by the Nazis from East European PoWs. They were specifically chosen on their intellectual dimwittedness!
Possibly, although there's also the political aspect. The communists were some of the largest and most effective groups of the French resistance, just the kind of people that the right-wing reactionary types likely to support Petain and join the Milice would absolute loathe. That or they could just be too stupid to realise like you said. :)

Possibly, (1) although there's also the political aspect. The communists were some of the largest and most effective groups of the French resistance, just the kind of people that the right-wing reactionary types likely to support Petain and join the Milice would absolute loathe. That or they could just be too stupid to realize like you said. :)

1) Believe me, the last thing the Germans wanted at those camps were guards who could think for themselves. A Death Camp guard who will take the time to ponder his circumstances is a very dangerous thing for an SS officer to have to deal with.

How many Poles collaborated with the Germans to effect the Holocaust, despite the fact that anyone with half a brain could see that the Poles were themselves next on the Nazi's hit parade?:(:rolleyes::mad:

I remember a fictitious tale (about a rogue British agent plotting to kill Rommel against orders, after London had found out about Valkyrie) that included a minor character who was an enthusiastic member of the Milice. He wasn't a mercenary, an anticommunist, anti-semite, or any kind of fascist/Nazi at all. In fact he hated the Germans. But he hated the British almost as much as he hated the Germans. His beloved kid brother, a gunners mate onboard a French battleship, had been killed at Oran.:(:eek: It can take all kinds to make a collaborator.

Status
Not open for further replies.