The Romanov Rescue

Recently, a trio of authors tried to put together a new alternate history story set in WWI. In 1918, the negotiations at Brest-Litovsk are underway and after a chance turn, German General Max Hoffman decides that he must do something to stop the Bolsheviks, so he covertly begins assembling a unit of Russian Imperial Guards to try and save the former royal family from their Bolshevik captors. Thus do the events of The Romanov Rescue unfold. I did a brief spoiler free review, but I'll put more info out below.

Essentially we follow the unit of Imperial Guards and their attempts to learn where the tsar and his family are, and their training to mount a rescue operation with 1918 technology. From that perspective it is pretty interesting, but it does get a bit light on the alternate history context until right near the end. It has a little bit with the kaiser exercising some autonomy from the de-facto rulers of the German Empire, Hindenburg and Ludendorff, and some talk with the Soviets themselves. However, much of it does proceed as a bit of a spy novel thriller.

Spoilers:
In the end the tsar and the tsarevich are killed during the rescue operation, so the princess Tatianna becomes the de-facto (or claimed at least) ruler of the Russian Empire with the implications of a coming brutal civil war.

That aside, one clever thing the novel did was it had the rescue effort recruited from Imperial Guards who had been imprisoned early on in the war so had not seen the direct mismanagement of the war by Nicholas or Alexandra. It does kinda gloss over though that the tsar and his whole family were pretty firm on the autocratic rule and the tsar and tsarina were unrepentant autocrats who disdained democracy. Meanwhile the Bolsheviks are all just portrayed as corrupt and murderous bastards so make of that what you will.

It is an intriguing idea of what if the Whites had rescued the Imperial Family and had them as a 'unifying' presence to fight the war with rather than the patchwork of de-facto warlords and regional rebels who ended up taking on the Reds. The book may have been better served by having the rescue be the first half, and then dealing with how the newly re-instated royal family comes to grips with the faltering Russia and the looming civil war. That would probably have been an overall better alternate history novel.

Last edited:
I read some of the chapters presented on Baen as a free preview, and I got a similar impression. It was very smart of Kratman and co. to put the focus on the daughters of Nicholas II, because it would have been a lot harder to sell Nicky the Idiot and his ditz wife as unifying symbols.

No, Tom Kratman, no!!!

Wait, Kratman was involved in this? Whelp, that just ruined this perfectly good premise here. The man simps for the fucking Waffen-SS, for crying out loud. Him writing anything involving the Romanovs would probably end up with him making some dystopian hellscape similar to TNO's Holy Russian Empire under Taboritsky, and portraying it as a good thing. At least he had two co-authors alongside him this time to from going too far off the rails... by Baen standards, at least. I doubt his co-authors are anything more than marginally better than him.

Wait, Kratman was involved in this? Whelp, that just ruined this perfectly good premise here. The man simps for the fucking Waffen-SS, for crying out loud. Him writing anything involving the Romanovs would probably end up with him making some dystopian hellscape similar to TNO's Holy Russian Empire under Taboritsky, and portraying it as a good thing. At least he had two co-authors alongside him this time to from going too far off the rails... by Baen standards, at least. I doubt his co-authors are anything more than marginally better than him.
Yes, that's him. Though I'm not sure how much of his "work" went into this book.

Yes, that's him. Though I'm not sure how much of his "work" went into this book.

The man's an narcissistic egomaniac who obsessively googles his own name so he can get into pissing matches with his detractors, I would place very good odds that he would insist on doing most of the "writing" for this. Bullying his co-authors is not outside the realm of possibility with him.

I read some of the chapters presented on Baen as a free preview, and I got a similar impression. It was very smart of Kratman and co. to put the focus on the daughters of Nicholas II, because it would have been a lot harder to sell Nicky the Idiot and his ditz wife as unifying symbols.

Yeah they only really tell it through the kids eyes with a few weird focuses (such as of course the children knew Rasputin was a fraud, or of course they understood how much they didn't know about Russia or of course they didn't revel in the autocratic tradition, ect). It does tend to go a bit too far in the "the autocrats aren't all bad" direction, but the number of times it mentions "those beautiful daughters" does get very cringe inducing by the end.

Otherwise their incorporation is actually a pretty inspired choice and serves up some good character moments and drama.

So it depicts them overly positively?

To the extent it depicts the major Bolsheviks at all. Mostly it's the "scum of the Earth" types who make up the rank and file, in fact there's not much an overlying enemy in the story save for the concept of Bolshevism,

Wait, Kratman was involved in this? Whelp, that just ruined this perfectly good premise here.

I think its a good effort. The co-authors seem to add some very good touches and make for a fun read overall.

Last edited:
due to my not understanding authors and only buying books off of premises, i have read a bit of Kratman, and can say there is a vast improvement the less involved he is, so with him making up only a third, it could still be decent

Hopefully the Grand Duchesses will be smart enough to grab the Tsarevich and get the **** out of Russia; I'm not sure there's any happy ending (For Russia or the Romanov Dynasty) if they try to fight it out during the Russian Civil War - especially if they let Nicholas Alexandrovich anywhere near the War Room.