The R-QBAM main thread

My own two cents: I think it could be represented with only an outline to show it's de-jure existence, maybe even dotted to show how weak even that is.
Eventually when Artsakh is officially disbanded we can get rid of that too.

For what it's worth, I think this entire matter is just a bit ephemeral in the grand scheme of things. We're talking about 'how to show an unrecognised de facto independent state that is no longer de facto independent for the 5 months between losing that independence and completely disbanding.'

It's the sort of thing that I'd just leave in the category of 'you make a speciality map if you ever actually want to show this' rather than keeping on the main map. Maybe a 'claim' line but we don't show the territorial claims of a bunch of other entities with no territorial power (e.g. the Provisional Government in Exile of Belarus).

Crazy Boris

Banned
I thought of something that might work as a compromise

Keep Artsakh on the map, but with an outline of Azerbaijan’s color inside it, or maybe striping with the Azerbaijan/Artsakh colors, the border could also be dropped entirely, just leaving a little nugget of Artsakh’s color in the middle of Azerbaijan, indicating it’s still kinda there, but if it can still be considered a state is up to interpretation.

alternatively, the general region could just be temporarily greyed out until January 1 or if something happens before then.

The Amazon river is horrible. Meandering river channels, lagoons, river islands, reservoirs that don't show up in most sources as they were only recently filled; you name it, the Amazon River and its tributaries have it. There's a reason both this patch and the last one of Brazil took longer than I'd have liked to finish, and for once I can't blame the Ice Ages for this particular geographic mess. On the plus side, the hardest bit of Brazil is now firmly behind me. That's not to say that the rest of Brazil will be a walk in the park, but things should be quicker and easier from now on. Next up, back to Canada to add British Colombia and the Alaska panhandle, which is a bigger patch, and as such I'm expecting it'll take at least a fortnight to finish.

Random note, but by my reckoning this is the 100th R-QBAM patch I've posted on the forums, starting with the first teaser I dropped in the map thread coming up on two years ago, and continuing to the present. Hopefully it won't take another two years to finish.

Patch 100 - Brazil 2;
- Added Para
- Added Amapa.

1697001474121.png

The Amazon river is horrible. Meandering river channels, lagoons, river islands, reservoirs that don't show up in most sources as they were only recently filled; you name it, the Amazon River and its tributaries have it. There's a reason both this patch and the last one of Brazil took longer than I'd have liked to finish, and for once I can't blame the Ice Ages for this particular geographic mess. On the plus side, the hardest bit of Brazil is now firmly behind me. That's not to say that the rest of Brazil will be a walk in the park, but things should be quicker and easier from now on. Next up, back to Canada to add British Colombia and the Alaska panhandle, which is a bigger patch, and as such I'm expecting it'll take at least a fortnight to finish.

Random note, but by my reckoning this is the 100th R-QBAM patch I've posted on the forums, starting with the first teaser I dropped in the map thread coming up on two years ago, and continuing to the present. Hopefully it won't take another two years to finish.

Patch 100 - Brazil 2;
- Added Para
- Added Amapa.
- Added Para
- Added Amapa
- Added three pixels in where the Atlantic should be
1697023370703.png

Were these left from something like an overlay or?

After a moderately longer time than I thought it would take, British Columbia is finally done. The patch proved nastier to finish than expected, which coupled with RL getting in the way caused the schedule to slip by a week longer than I thought it should take. Nevertheless, it's now finally done.

To be blunt, it was horrible, as not only is the coast an intensely fractal one (damn glaciers), projection distortion this close to the edge of the map really throws things off, and makes it rather difficult to translate maps from, say, equirectangular to distorted Robinson. After a week banging my head against a wall trying to continue using sources such as NASA's Earth viewer, I finally accepted the inevitable and spent a couple of days last week trying to get my head around the basics of GIS, hoping to use that to transform some of my datasets into something more useable. While those efforts were useful, it was the discovery last week of a high-def zoomable Robinson webmap buried fairly deep in the basemap options of ARCGIS' free online version that really got progress going again. After a lot of finagling and fiddling, I was also able to overlay a dataset showing permanent ice cover on top of that map, which helped immensely.

After the ordeal that was British Columbia, I'm quite looking forward to the next patch, which should be considerably easier, and hopefully not take as long. Next up we return to South America, adding about a dozen states in North-East Brazil, however after that its back to another tricky job, a patch I'm calling Greenland 1. That will be followed by Central Brazil, then I'll belatedly make a start on Nunavut.

A few rather pointless quick observations. Firstly, this patch marks the first new addition of territory to the USA since December 2021, nearly two years ago. Second, I've now finished all the Canadian provinces, as it's just the three territories left to go. More to the point, by my back-of-the-envelope maths, I'm a little under two thirds of the way through Canada, which feels like a notable milestone.

Just a couple of quick replies, then I'll get to the patch.

Were these left from something like an overlay or?

Those pixels are, as @SupBros correctly surmised, Fernando de Noronha and Rocas Atoll. I added them ages ago, but forgot to pull them from the main layer to the WIP layer (the contents of which remain unpublished while I work on them) until I got to North-East Brazil. A combination of laziness and forgetfulness kept that going, and while I removed it from some of the patches I've since put out, the Islands kept creeping back in and I kept on forgetting to remove them. They'll be added officially with the next patch.

I wonder which coastline will be harder to do. British Columbia/Alaska or Chile

I would be willing to bet good money that southern Chile ends up being easier than British Columbia, for the simple reason that map distortion, while still a problem for Patagonia, isn't as severe as with British Columbia. That was the main reason this patch took a week longer than my initial estimations, so should it skew the difficulty where base geography is about as bad between the two.

Patch 101 - Oh, Canada 7 (British Columbia);
- Added British Columbia
- Added the Alaska Panhandle
- Mild tweaks to Alberta and Washington State

1698904865974.png

I'm quite interested to see if R-QBAM ends up killing (or ar least severely impacting) the popularity of Q-BAM.

Granted, Q-BAM has significantly more resources available and is thus easy to map with for people who aren't really fussed about projections and accuracies.
Nonetheless, i can envision R-QBAM outright replacing Q-BAM in most instances provided it's popularized enough to get many resources for it.

Also, what's the mess in northeast Italy and in spain?

I'm quite interested to see if R-QBAM ends up killing (or ar least severely impacting) the popularity of Q-BAM.

Granted, Q-BAM has significantly more resources available and is thus easy to map with for people who aren't really fussed about projections and accuracies.
Nonetheless, i can envision R-QBAM outright replacing Q-BAM in most instances provided it's popularized enough to get many resources for it.

Autonomous communities.

Spain is a bit wierd in that technically it's a unitary state it's just every part of it is part of an autonomous community, but it's not strictly speaking federal as the powers each Community has are defined according to that Community rather than there being a blanket 'These powers are federal and these powers are state' rule.

The r-qbam will definitely replace the qbam. From personal experience, trying to patch the qbam is a nightmare, and keeping consistent with other people's patches and judgements while trying to balance those with your own sucks. This can bleed into other projects, especially historical qbams. So even if this project takes a few more years to finish, it will still be worth it.

The r-qbam will definitely replace the qbam. From personal experience, trying to patch the qbam is a nightmare, and keeping consistent with other people's patches and judgements while trying to balance those with your own sucks. This can bleed into other projects, especially historical qbams. So even if this project takes a few more years to finish, it will still be worth it.
I'd certainly love to use R-QBAM once it's finished.

I generally don't like the Q-BAM due to the.. ugly mess that's the coastlines, but im definitely going to use qbam more often once R-QBAM is finished and has a trove of resources (borders, mostly) available.

I suspect that there will be a lot of people who just aren't aware of RQBAM's existence and so will continue to use the QBAM. Personally I hate pseudocylindrical projections so I don't think I will use either unless I need to make something really quick (in which case I will probably use base QBAM since it has way more resources).

Honestly, I am hoping for the increase of R-QBAM's popularity, even when its counterpart has way more resources. The fact we're getting a better version of such a troublesome template is a miracle by itself.

By how things are looking, R-QBAM will probably be finished in 2024 (that is, if nothing gets delayed at the long run). The most challenging areas so far are the mountainous regions and fjords (as far as I know), which means that after this progress will be more weekly consistent.

By how things are looking, R-QBAM will probably be finished in 2024 (that is, if nothing gets delayed at the long run). The most challenging areas so far are the mountainous regions and fjords (as far as I know), which means that after this progress will be more weekly consistent.
Well it's possible that it could go longer, depending on the end goal. If the endgoal is just to make the countries and then give the largest ones administrative divisions, then 2024 is a pretty reasonable endgoal. However, if we're going all around and adding all the minor subdivisions, then the project could also easily be extended into 2025. Then again, I don't really understanding how Tanystropheus42, as well as anyone else who can officially make more updates, are basing it off of. I just know it's based off of a select dataset(s) and is only patched by 1-2 people at most. I'm just following along because at least this map will be more consistent, allowing it to be more aligned with future topographic, river, physical, and other maps, as well as having a more 'official' nature. Pretty much everything the qbam currently lacks, and everything I want.

Crazy Boris

Banned
I'd like to make the switch to RQBAM once it's finished, but I hope we can get terrain and river maps and historical patches to make things more convenient.
Once things are ready and we have most countries down to second level, I might try to remake some of my existing QBAM patches for the new format

Autonomous communities.

Spain is a bit wierd in that technically it's a unitary state it's just every part of it is part of an autonomous community, but it's not strictly speaking federal as the powers each Community has are defined according to that Community rather than there being a blanket 'These powers are federal and these powers are state' rule.
Maybe we need a better way to represent the autonomous communities, spain is such an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful map now