The Red Queen
  • May 1470

Soundtrack: Josquin des Prez[1] – Missa l’Homme Armé Sexti Toni – Kyrie Eleison

*interior* *Chateau d’Angers* *there is a man and a woman arguing*
    Woman: not if Jesus Christ Himself insisted I meet with him.
    Man: what do you think he will do if you do not?
    Woman: likely? Fail. Again. He had that Yorkist bastard captive. Prisoner, in his castle. And he let him walk out because he couldn’t keep him there. Your Majesty is insane for even entertaining the idea that this…this…canaille is worth listening to.
    Man: even if the man is willing to put his sword at your service, Marguerite?
    Marguerite: a sword at my service and a knife in my back! He has betrayed Henry, he has betrayed Edward, why would anyone be foolish enough to trust in his loyalty now, Louis?
    Louis XI: *folds hands over his hat in his lap* quite simply…you don’t.
    Marguerite: *looks aghast*
    Louis XI: I don’t expect the duke of Burgundy to keep his word that we agreed at Péronne. And he didn’t expect me to keep it-
    Marguerite: yet you do.
    Louis XI: to all things, there is a season, and to every purpose, a time. My informants in Burgundy tell me the duchess is pregnant.
    Marguerite: what is it to me?
    Louis XI: if the duchess’ child is a boy, then no doubt, the duke will marry his daughter to your nephew[2].
    Marguerite: and if she whelps a girl? That seems to be all the Yorks are capable of! The duchess of Exeter only had a girl. Edward only has girls. Warwick’s daughter gave birth to a dead girl when she landed at Calais.
    Louis XI: if it is a girl, Charles remains where he is. If it is a boy, then the Yorkists alliance with Burgundy will be cemented and I will have[3] to act.
    Marguerite: and my son and I are mere pawns in your chessgame.
    Louis XI: hardly. If the duchess’ child is a daughter I will endorse your son as bridegroom[4] for Marie-
    Marguerite: *scoffs* in Burgundy?
    Louis XI: *sincerely* in Burgundy.
    Marguerite: *smirks at him*
    Louis XI: that amuses you?
    Marguerite: just that you’ve clearly missed a trick, you old fox.
    Louis XI: *makes as though just realizing* oh…you mean Edward’s offer to marry your son to his eldest daughter?
    Marguerite: all I have to do is wait. The house of York is set against one another already. That fanciful flourish of a…woman…that Edward has is already past her prime. Even if she produces a son, there’s no guarantee that he will live. So why should I meet with an ungrateful traitor if all I have to do is sit and wait?
    Louis XI: and what happens if she produces a son who lives? Or she dies in childbirth and Edward remarries?
    Marguerite: no doubt you will have his head spinning with French brides in that event.
    Louis XI: *smiles as though to say “of course”* I am the king of France, Marguerite. Not the king of England. My father fought them but I will bribe them with wine and paté.
    Marguerite: *resignedly* you old fox you.
    Louis XI: the comte de Warwick is waiting in the chapel for you.

*fade to black*

[1] While Josquin’s record is “spotty”, there is proof that by 1477 (at least) he was in the choir of René d’Anjou, King of Naples. The Kyrie literally translates as “Lord have mercy”, while the Mass it comes from is based on the tune “L’Homme Armé” (The Armed Man)
    [2] Nicolas d’Anjou
    [3] Louis XI agreed – by Péronne – to not oppose the Anglo-Burgundian alliance so long as it didn’t threaten French interests
    [4] Louis was willing to back Federigo of Naples against Nicolas, so it would be in line with his strategy

If Wars Were Won By Feasting[1]
  • Soundtrack: Childgrove - Mr. Lane's Minuet - Up with Aily - Cheshier Rounds - Hunt the Squirrel

*interior* *Eltham Palace* *there’s a party going on* *music* *feasting* *dancing* *led by Edward IV and the pregnant Elizabeth Wydeville[2]*
    Antony Wydeville: *smiles at his sister as she passes* *turns back to his wife* you don’t wish to dance?
    Elizabeth, Baroness Scales: I don’t see much to dance about. Or sing about, Antony.
    Antony: *soberly* I’m afraid you’re right. Warwick in France, meeting with Queen Margaret is concerning.
    Elizabeth: and the king makes as though there is nothing to be concerned about
    Antony: would you prefer that the king go to war with France? To try and ensure Warwick’s return, my love[3]?
    Elizabeth: *looks at Jacquetta of Luxembourg likewise dancing with Antoine, Grand Bastard of Burgundy* it startles me that after what he did to your father that you are not trying to convince the king of this
    Antony: *smiles* I have no doubt that his Elizabeth is trying to do that very thing.
    Elizabeth: you sound as though you disapprove?
    Antony: and had this happened a month ago, two, perhaps, the king might be in a different mind. But Henry VI has a son. God willing, Monsieur Charles and Madame Marguerite[4] will have a son. Louis’ wife has just had a son. The king does not. So…for now…Edward needs to trust that the arrangement he made with Queen Margaret as much as Monsieur Charles needs to trust in the arrangement he and King Louis reached at Péronne.
    Elizabeth: the king does not have a son yet.
    Antony: God willing, my sister will soon supply him with one.
    Elizabeth: and King Louis’ dauphin may follow his brothers shortly to the grave.
    Antony: *nods* he may *tune/dance changes*
    Elizabeth: *looks at Antoine* seems a bit ominous to me. A king sending an ambassador to announce his wife is pregnant. Why not await the birth?
    Antony: it’s a convenient cover to discuss our alliance with Burgundy. *looks at the duke of Gloucester dancing with his niece, Anne, Lady Grey[5]* after all, whether Madame Marguerite has a son or a daughter…her step-daughter would make an ideal match for Milord Gloucester, don’t you agree?
    Elizabeth: but that’s absurd, he’s-
    Antony: a far better match than the exiled prince of Wales that King Louis is suggesting and who I’m told the Dowager Duchess[6] is in favour of. And if Madame Marguerite has a son, her step-daughter could come live in England. Far less worrying her marrying an ally than the idea of her marrying the duke of Berry, and ending up in Paris, wouldn’t you say?
    Elizabeth: alliances change. Look at the king and Milord Warwick. Or Milord Somerset who the king approved to marry Milord Shrewsbury’s daughter[7]-
    Antony: as I understand it, that was with Milord Warwick’s approval. Attempting to draw the Beauforts into the Neville orbit[8]-
    Elizabeth: shame them, you mean.
    Antony: *sharkish smile* it is only fitting that the Milord Somerset take responsibility for his disgraceful behaviour towards Lady Eleanor[9]. Leaving her in the family way and all…
    Elizabeth: mark my words, Antony, nothing good will come of this.

*fade to black*

[1] From a song from the OTL Restoration court, The Dutch in the Medway: if wars were won by feasting / or victory by song / if safety found in sleeping sound / how England would be strong.
    The line “our king and court, for their disport, do sell the very Thames” is oddly applicable to Edward IV who only left something like £400 in the treasury when he died
    [2] Thanks to hearing Kylie Minogue’s Locomotion on my morning commute, all I could imagine was them “doing the locomotion” :p
    Also, Elizabeth would only give birth in November, which means she was unlikely to already be in confinement in June 1470 unless there had been problems with the pregnancy
    [3] While no contemporary accounts survive of Antony/Elizabeth’s marriage, things must’ve been – at least – civil to cordial given the fact that she left her title (Baron Scales) to him in her will rather than to a distant cousin (think it was third five times removed or fifth three times removed or something). She would’ve had no reason to do this unless they either did have a “decent” marriage or she really loathed the cousin
    [4] The duke and duchess of Burgundy. Hence why Antoine the Bastard is in London: to announce the pregnancy
    [5] Elizabeth Wydeville’s son isn’t marquess of Dorset yet, and his grandmother is still alive, so he’s not “Lord Ferrers” either. The “niece” is Anne Holland
    [6] Isabel of Portugal, Dowager Duchess of Burgundy
    [7] Eleanor Talbot (she’s survived here- making things "interesting")
    [8] Not that odd a “idea”. Warwick’s sister, Margaret, was wife to the Lancastrian loyalist, the 13th earl of Oxford – who was pardoned in 1469 – and Oxford’s brother was married to Margaret Talbot (Eleanor’s sister).
    [9] Eleanor was apparently engaged to Edmund, 4e Duke of Somerset, but according to various accounts, the later events of the 1460s and death intervened. Also, the Talbot girls were running in the same circles as Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire and Richmond, the duke of Buckingham and the rest of the Beauforts at the time, so a marriage between them doesn't seem ASB IMO

A Prince of Glorious Race[1]
  • Note: I haven't played chess in over 20 years, so forgive the spotty referencing, its more to serve as a metaphor for the "chessgame" of moves/countermoves that was the War of the Roses. But Edward playing as black (i.e. the Black Prince?) against white (York's roses) was too good an opportunity to pass up :p

July 1470

Soundtrack: René d’Anjou - Le Cœur d'Amour Epris

*exterior* *Paris* *the Sainte-Chapelle at the Chateau de Vincennes[2]* *Louis XI is present as his son, Charles, is baptised* *the new dauphin’s godparents are Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales and Marguerite d’Anjou[3]* *we see that the Lancastrian “court in exile” – the duke of Somerset, the Earls of Dorset and Oxford, Viscount Beaumont and Baron Wenlock[4] – are all present* *we also see the “bad fairy” at Sleeping Beauty’s christening: the Earl of Warwick, his daughters and son-in-law, the duke of Clarence*
    *cut to the courtyard of the hôtel du Roi de Sicile[5]* *we see the Lancastrian party returning*
    Edward of Westminster: *from horseback* *gives order that Warwick is to hold the prince’s horse and help him dismount*
    *several murmurs from the Lancastrians at this*
    Edward: *gently chiding them* silence
    *immediately there is an awkward hush* *Edward looks at Warwick – rather smugly – expectantly* *Warwick looks conflicted before he finally takes the steps forward and holds the reins*
    Edward: *calmly dismounts* *doffs his hat to the Countess of Warwick and her daughters* *then requests Warwick to “walk with them” as Edward and Marguerite go inside*

*interior* *looks like a dining room* *Edward is sitting with his feet up on the table* *slouching back in the chair* *peeling an apple* *listening to Warwick’s speech* *also in the room are Marguerite and her father- as a sort of “mediator”/”guarantor of good behaviour”* *he and Edward also have a chessboard between them* *René is playing as white, Edward as black*
    Edward: *interrupts Warwick* done. *moves piece*
    Marguerite: *looks at her son* Edward-
    Edward: *to Warwick* I will marry your daughter. You may be Protector of England until I am eighteen-
    Marguerite: emphasis on the fact that you are not eighteen yet. Which means tha-
    René: *moves chessman*
    Edward: *to Warwick* *more insistently this time* done. *dismisses the man*
    Marguerite: *looks at him as though to say “what have you done?”*
    Edward: when you are quite finished doing your Medusa impersonation, Mother… out with it.
    Marguerite: you cannot marry his daughter. She’s-
    Edward: my cousin. I’m well aware. Popes grant dispensations for that sort of thing, don’t they, Bompa?
    René: *unsurely as he moves* they do
    Edward: there we go.
    Marguerite: so you will marry some chit of a girl…when King Louis and the Dowager Duchess of Burgundy are both willing for you to marry the duke of Burgundy’s daughter?
    Edward: *puts a slice of apple peel in his mouth with the knife* yes…King Louis also proposed me to marry the Princess of the Asturias and the princess of Portugal *tone is like “and look how that turned out”*
    Marguerite: don’t talk with your mouth full.
    Edward: Milord Warwick thinks himself very clever. Too clever. And no doubt, he would have spent the day arguing with us about why we should not make him crawl around like the dog he is…when in truth…hang him with his own rope.
    René: and how do you plan to do that when you don’t even have eighteen summers under your belt?
    Marguerite: *realizes* it means Warwick has started a clock on his own power. He has to go back immediately or lose the opportunity
    Edward: *smirks at her* *takes his grandfather's pawn out by moving his own pawn to d4*
    René: and you think a man like that will simply step aside when you turn eighteen, do you? *takes Edward's pawn on d4 out with another pawn*
    Edward: I’m counting on that he won’t. But that assumes he lives to see that day, Bompa. *moves his queen to e4* Check, Bompa
    René: he’ll sign a deal with the Devil to make sure he does. *moves his king to d2*
    Edward: let him consign his soul to Hell in the name of his ambition then… I have no doubt that he will upset somebody – my money is that either Cousin Edmund puts a knife between his ribs or de Vere cuts his throat in his sleep – before then.
    Marguerite: let’s just hope it’s not before we’re back in England.
    Edward: they want to go back as much as we do. They won’t do anything until then.
    Marguerite: and when we get back to England?
    René: if you go back.
    Edward: your signing a deal with the Devil metaphor counts for that too, Bompa. *moves his bishop to b4* Check again.
    René: Édouard, I have been promised by knaves and charlatans for my whole life that I will be king of Naples once more. And yet here I sit-
    Edward: when I am in England, I have every intention of helping you, Bompa *kisses his grandpa’s hand*
    René: piecrust promise: easily made, easily broken. *moves his second knight to c3*
    Edward: *withdraws his queen* *gets up and walks over to window* you noticed I didn’t let you say anything about the match he allowed for Cousin Edmund? Marrying that Talbot whore?
    Marguerite: you mean you interrupted when the matter was broached.
    Edward: Needs must, Mother. I currently have no heir. Or rather surfeit of heirs. The longer I remain without one, the longer the succession remains….open. Milord Wenlock and I have discussed it at length. First there is, naturally, Lady Wiltshire[6] who thinks that her darling son should be heir. Then there is Cousin Edmund that believes that he is heir. Naturally that Yorkist bastard with his ass on the throne disagrees. Now Warwick is so unhinged he wants me to name Clarence the heir.
    Marguerite: that doesn’t explain why you are willing to allow the marriage.
    Edward: we all know that Talbot’s son is York’s boy, not Cousin Edmund’s. Letting the boy be acknowledged as Edmund’s suits…since should we *arranges face in sad expression* hear the news of York’s tragic demise on the field of battle with no legitimate son, there can’t be anyone bringing forth the pre-contract asserting that Edmund’s son is actually York’s legitimate heir.
    René: the boy has a point. *moves his rook to e1* Check, Édouard
    Edward: secondly…Warwick’s condition I marry his daughter is a small price.
    Marguerite: small?
    Edward: when we get back to England and Warwick is no longer in the picture- either because he makes it until my birthday next year or he has an appointment with the headsman, a soldier or Cousin Edmund- I can simply decide I no longer need the marriage. Have it annulled. *moves his king to f8*
    Marguerite: on what grounds?
    Edward: I was too young. Warwick is so eager to make it a reality, he neglects to take that tiny little detail into account.
    René: *nods approvingly* *moves his queen to e2*
    Edward: and Marie…or the Portuguese infanta…or really, anyone…is more likely to want to marry me then. *sends his knight to d4* *René moves pieces*
    Marguerite: assuming they don’t marry in the meantime.
    Edward: Marie’s father will wait to see what his wife’s pregnancy will bring. He won’t marry her off until he knows. That means we have until January before we know one way or another. I wouldn’t be surprised if Warwick gets us back in London by then.
    Marguerite: *looks at her son as though to say “my sweet summer child”*
    Edward: and finally, accepting Warwick’s tutelage for eighteen months is a far smaller sacrifice than having to wait first for York’s daughter to grow up and then for York to die, like he suggested. Checkmate, Bompa *picks up his hat and checks his appearance in a mirror* now if you’ll excuse me…I need to go court a certain Neville girl. *walks out whistling Scaramella[7]*

*fade to black as we pan out to see that Edward's got his grandfather's king pinned on three sides*

[1] a slightly different take on Edward of Westminster. The common depiction of him is either the brutal teenager who set butterflies wings on fire and kicked puppies. Or Philippa Gregory's portrayal of him as a sort of "pasty-skinned mommy's boy" (who's also the equivalent 15th century equivalent of the musclebound braindead arm-candy). Essentially, he's never shown as anything but in awe of his mother, a sort of "idiot, obedient lapdog" who is only interested in soldiering.
    I figured our only contemporaneous sources on him are both by people biased towards him/his family and it seems unlikely to me that he would've had absolutely no education outside of warcraft (which is what most depictions show him doing). So, he's a charming rogue (à la Charles II), charismatic/commanding (he can reduce his followers to silence, and if he inherited Henry V's height of 6'3", I'd say he's a pretty good chance for being "scary"), but still (slightly) psychopathic- he seems to be more than willing to let Warwick or Edward IV be killed- and arrogant (interrupting his mother). Not to mention shrewd- he's got three generations of shrewd women on his mother's side, and none of the Lancastrians (aside from his dad) can be said to have lacked political skills, two of them deposed a king (Henry IV deposed Richard II, Henry V disinherited Charles VII), after all, so him being an "idiot" or a "dolt" seems extraordinarily unlikely (yes, I know Henry V's son was Henry VI and Louis XI's son was Charles VIII, so it is a bit of "swing/miss)
    Either way, I hope Lancastrians like @RedKing like a different take on Edward of Westminster
    [2] This is the only royal residence in Paris I can find that has record of Louis XI staying there regularly enough that he had the royal apartments updated for he and his wife. He seems to have shared Louis XIV’s loathing of the city though. bet. Perhaps @material_boy knows more
    [3] ISTR reading somewhere that Edward of Westminster was chosen as Charles’ godfather OTL as well. Not sure who his godmother was, but Marguerite makes a reasonable
    [4] Not sure which of these men were actually in France. IIRC Wenlock was a bit of the WotR's very own Talleyrand
    [5] Anjou’s Parisian hotel. The ruins were later demolished and the Hôtel de La Force (later the Prison de La Force from the 18th century) built on the spot.
    [6] Margaret Beaufort. While the woman was a devout Lancastrian, I've never been able to find what Marguerite d'Anjou makes of her half-sister-in-law. And even if Marguerite did like Maggie, that's no guarantee that Edward and Henry Tudor would've got on/liked on another. The way Edward speaks, it sounds more as though its her presumption (of heirship) that grates than any sort of dislike
    [7] Scaramella va alla Guerra- the scarecrow goes off to war- was something of a "hit" back in the day

Proditionem Amo, sed Proditores non Laudo[1]
  • August 1470

Soundtrack: Lament On The Death Of His Brother

*exterior* *England* *we see men in Warwick livery galloping across the countryside* *a map of England shows a pool spreading from Warwick Castle to slowly reach up to Berwick on the Scots border* *we see these liveried men arriving in “Neville strongholds” like Durham, Worcester, York and naturally, Warwick and Salisbury* *but also in cities that support the Lancastrian cause* *we see town criers reading a proclamation out in the market place* *bishops read it from the pulpits to their congregations*
    Earl of Warwick: *voice over*The most noble and Christian Prince, our most dread Sovereign Lord, King Harry the Sixth, very true undoubted king of England and of France, now being in the hands of his rebels and those of his great enemy, Edward, late the earl of Marche, usurper, oppressor, and destroyer of our said Sovereign Lord, and of the noble blood of this realm of England and of the true commons of the same, by his mischievous and inordinate new founded laws and ordinances inconvenient, to the uttermost destruction of the good commons of the said realm of England. If it so should continue for the reformation whereof, in especial for the commonwealth of all the said realm, the right high and mighty, George, Prince and Duke of Clarence, Jasper, Earl of Pembroke, Richard, Earl of Warwick and of Salisbury, and John, Earl of Oxford, as very and true faithful cousins, subjects and liege men to our said sovereign Lord King Harry the Sixth. By the sufficient authority committed unto them in this behalf, by the whole voice and assent, of the Most Noble Princess, Margaret, Queen of England (and the Right High and Mighty Prince Edward) at this time being Queen, unto this realm, to put them in their most uttermost endeavour to deliver our said sovereign out of his great captivity and danger of his enemies unto liberty, and by the grace of God to rest him in his royal estate, and crown of this sad realm of England. To reform and amend all the great mischievous oppressions and all other inordinate abuses now reigning in the said realm, to the perpetual peace, prosperity, to the common welfare of this realm. It is fully concluded and granted that all mail men within the realm of England, of every estate, degree, condition that they be, be fully pardoned of all manner of treason or trespass imagined or done, in any manner of wise contrary to their allegiance against Edward, late the earl of Marche and his wife, before the day of coming and arrival of the aforesaid duke and earls in this realm. So that they may put them in their uttermost endeavour, and draw them to the company of the aforesaid earls, to help, to fortify them in their purpose and journey. Except such offenders who make any resistances against the aforesaid duke and earls, or any of them, or of their company. Also the aforesaid duke and earls, in the name and behalf of our said Sovereign Lord, King Harry the Sixth, charging and commanding that all manner of men, that be between sixteen and fifty years of age, incontinently and immediately after this proclamation be made, be ready, in their best array defensible, to attend and await upon the aforesaid earls, to assist them in their journey, to the intent afore rehearsed, upon pain of death and forfeiture of all that they may forfeit within this England, except such persons as be visited with sickness, or with not of such power that they may not go.[2]

*exterior* *Eltham Palace*
    *interior* *Edward IV is on the throne in front of the assembled court* *Antony Wydeville and Richard, Duke of Gloucester flanking him* *the Duchess of York arrives* *curtseys*
    Edward IV: *talking to Richard* *ignores his mother for a good few minutes as he finishes his conversation* *then turns slowly to look at her* Lady mother. *motions for her to rise*
    Dowager Duchess of York: your Majesty.
    Edward IV: *motions to Richard to hand her a copy of the proclamation* what is your response to these assertions by your brother, Madam?
    Dowager Duchess: *reads the proclamation* *we see her growing more and more pale*
    Edward IV: as a courtesy to you, Madam, we granted your brother, my uncle, a reprieve from his sins against us and our beloved wife, for his behaviour against her father and the Dowager Duchess of Bedford[3]. Instead, he has turned on us, and allied with the very men he once sought to depose. The men who executed our father, our brother?
    Dowager Duchess: *stubbornly* that was Queen Margaret-
    Edward IV: and yet, you would have me spare them when they rise against us?
    Dowager Duchess: *nervously* he is your brother.
    Edward IV: is his name not first and foremost on the list of men who have rallied to their liege lord, King Henry? To Queen Margaret. Our father’s very murderer according to you? Was he not the one who your brother attempted to replace us with? Is he not the one named in this proclamation as justifying all subjects in England forfeiting their loyalty to us-
    Dowager Duchess: *clearly realizing what Edward is getting at* I am sure that George had-
    Edward IV: had no idea? What is next, Madam? Will you be repeating your brother’s assertions against the Dowager Duchess of Bedford, that she has placed a spell on him, depriving him of his wits? Perhaps that he felt he was somehow in danger when we pardoned him, that he should flee instead to the bosom of the very men who executed our father
    Dowager Duchess: *repeats* he is your brother.
    Edward IV: *practically snarling* so was Rutland- you remember him? The brother they murdered?- so is Dickon *looks at Richard* what of the fact that we are George’s brothers? Or that you, Madam, are Warwick’s sister? Do you believe that either of them were moved by such sentiment? Do you believe that somehow, this will guarantee you protection?
    Dowager Duchess: *silent*
    Edward IV: all we can say for George is that he is as big a fool as Queen Margaret’s son by trusting in Warwick’s promises. If the last few years are any indication, Warwick is a snake poised to strike the moment he is no longer heeded. Thus, it is with a heavy heart, that we hereby declare him, and all who profess loyalty to him and his cause, traitors.
    Dowager Duchess: *looks horrified*
    *we hear a murmuring from the assembled courtiers*
    Edward IV: the choice is yours, Madam…do you stand with your son or fall with your brother[4]?

*fade to black as Cecily comes forward to kiss Edward’s hand as a gesture of submission*

[1] Caesar’s quote, often mistranslated as “treason I love, I hate the traitor”
    [2] This is Warwick’s OTL proclamation of Henry VI’s readeption per the Chronicles of the White Rose of York.
    [3] Jacquetta of Luxembourg. Figure that despite her various remarriages, Cecily’s sister, the duchess of Norfolk, was still commonly referred to by her highest title; similarly, Mary Tudor was still called “the French queen” despite her remarriage to Brandon.
    [4] I'm sorry, but I don't buy that a woman known as "Proud Cis" would've gone to pieces crying and begging for Edward to spare his brother as depicted on the White Queen. This is a woman who knows the price of treason and to quote someone else "in the game of thrones, you win or you die".
    Edward is also politic in that he never explicitly refers to the Lancastrians as being the guilty party here- or to Warwick imprisoning him because then they can just point to his "detention" of King Henry- but rather blames Warwick completely. Closest he gets is to say that "according to you [his mother] the Lancastrians murdered our father". She likewise hedges by pointing out that it was "Queen Margaret" not the Lancastrians. To which Edward points out "and yet you would have me spare them when they do the same against me"

J'ay Emprins[1]
  • September 1470

Soundtrack: Alexander Agricola – Fortuna Desperata

*exterior* *Middelburg, Zeland* *views of the Lange Delft* *our eye goes to the Lange Jan* *then the camera pans downwards and we see Margaret of York emerging from the city’s Abbey de Nôtre Dame with her husband, Charles, Duke of Burgundy, and stepdaughter* *a harried-looking woman stretches herself prostrate before him*
    Charles: *chuckling as he steps around the woman* no need to worship at my feet
    Woman: a word, sire. In the name of God, a word, I beg.
    Charles: very well.

*cut to interior in the ducal palace* *the woman – Johanna Danvelt – is telling her story* *about her husband, Philippus Danvelt, was arrested by the city’s governor, Lord Claude de Rhynsault[2]* *Rhynsault’s condition was that – should Johanna “give herself” to him, he would release Mijnheer Danvelt* *faced with no other recourse, she duly chose the lesser evil of infidelity to her marriage vows if it would free her husband* *however, when she demanded- after “paying”- to be reunited with her husband, Rhynsault acquiesced* *only, he had already had Mijnheer Danvelt executed and Johanna was only shown his corpse*
    *we see Charles nodding along*

*cut to same interior* *clearly different day, since Charles is in different clothes* *before him is a man he addresses as “Rhynsault”*
    Charles: do you deny it?
    Rhynsault: no, sire. I freely admit that I was…carried away by my lusts for the woman-
    Charles: enough to murder her husband?
    Rhynsault: sire, I have always thought first of your Highness’ service, as I did to your father’s before[3].
    Charles: then in thinking first, you are to marry the Widow Danvelt.
    Rhynsault: *shocked*
    Charles: this is our sentence. You are to marry her-
    Rhynsault: but sire, she is-
    Charles: a widow by your hand. And, as a result, it is our wish that you are to marry her.
    Rhynsault: *looks absolutely offended* *puffs himself up to say something* *but then thinks better of it before agreeing*
    Charles: *flicks his wrist in dismissal*
    Guillaume Hugonet[4]: their excellencies, the envoys of King Louis.
    Charles: *rolls his eyes as the envoys
    Hugonet: *makes a long flowery speech bidding the envoys welcome to Burgundy*
    Charles: *cuts Hugonet off impatiently* is it true that the king of France is granting aid to the foe of our beloved and most dear brother, the king of England?
    French envoys: *look at one another*
    Hugonet: Monseigneur asked you a question, gentlemen!
    Charles: this is not the first time the king of France has proved untrustworthy, for he was as untrustworthy to us and to our father as he has been to our cousin, the queen of England[5]. Not only that, but he has proved false to his own brother, by failing to uphold the terms we agreed at Péronne[6]-
    French envoy: His Majesty desires to avoid friction. He offers you friendship, peace and redress for every wrong, Monseigneur. However, he would remind you that if trouble were to ensue, both yourself and his Majesty have a Judge who is above you both.
    Charles: *jumps to his feet* Among us Portuguese there is a custom that when our friends become the friends of our foes, we send them to the hundred thousand devils of Hell![7]
    *courtiers start shifting uncomfortably*
    Charles: My heart is English, my mother was an ancient friend of England and enemy of France[8]
    *some more murmurings from the courtiers*

*cut to the Sint-Maartenskerk* *we see the Widow Danvelt and Rhynsault being united in Holy Matrimony*
    *cut to the ducal palace* *Rhynsault appears before Charles*
    Charles: I trust everything is in order?
    Rhynsault: the plaintiff is well satisfied, sire.
    Charles: *coldly* she yes. Not I
    *the ducal guard comes forward to arrest Rhynsault* *we see them dragging him away* *and his loud protests of loyalty to Charles* *interspersed with condemnations of Charles*
    *cut to the prison* *where Rhynsault is led out to the scaffold and executed*
    *cut to Charles and Johanna Danvelt-Rhynsault*
    Charles: Madame, I give you your justice *shows her the coffin with Rhynsault’s corpse*

*fade out on Rhynsault collapsing in a swoon[9]*

[1] Charles the Bold’s motto
    [2] Names taken from Rafael Sabatini’s 1929 novel on the events
    [3] i.e. I’ve been in your service a long time, and I’ve always been loyal. You should forgive me.
    [4] Future chancellor of Burgundy from 1471
    [5] Marguerite d’Anjou. Until his marriage to Margaret of York, Charles had been a stalwart supporter of Marguerite since she had arrived in Lille in 1463, and his sympathies- unlike his father and third wife- “were always more Lancastrian than Yorkish”. Ergo why I would consider a Marie-Edward of Westminster match not being that unthinkable in the right circumstances. Especially since Marguerite planning to leverage Charles’ support once he became duke was the entire reason Charles’ third match
    [6] These terms being that Louis XI had invested his brother, the duke of Berry, with Normandie instead of Champagne and Brie. For this, Charles accepted the change. But then when, in April 1469, Louis substituted the duchy of Aquitaine for Normandie, he was pissed off, since Charles had had the intention of creating a “cordon sanitaire” between himself and Louis via his brother, the duke of Berry. I can’t fathom the reason why he waited until he heard of Warwick and Marguerite making up to suddenly take issue with this.
    [7] Both this line and the preceding line are OTL
    [8] Again, OTL, from this very interview. Charles also wrote to the Calais garrison urging them to remain loyal to Edward IV and not allow Warwick to pass: "O you my friends." While reiterating that he simply must defend his own state he adds, "By St. George who knows me to be a better Englishman and more anxious for the weal of England than you other English”
    [9] Chastellain writes that "It was a penalty that hit the innocent as well as the guilty, for the plaintiff died from the double shock of seeing her second husband in the coffin on the exact spot she had seen her first.” His final interraction with Rhynsault is actually OTL according to Urbain Plancher (writing in the 18th century on primary source material by ducal insider, Olivier de la Marche). The story also appears in Chastallain, Jean de Roye and Huégenin Jeune (although there the location is during Charles' wars in Lorraine, while Chastallain, Roye and de la Marche all place it at Middelburg (or Holland) circa the time of Edward IV's arrival.

Fecit Potentiam Deposuit Potentes[1]
  • October 1470

Soundtrack: Como Poden Per Sas Culpas[2]

*exterior* *Madrid* *the city looks nothing like a town where the king lives* *cut to the Royal Alczar* *we see King Enrique holding court* *there’s music and dancing* *and most notably, a fool getting up to all sorts of capers*
    Fool: and then when King Warwick landed on the English shores, King Edward ran away to Holland!
    Enrique: is this true? *watches fool gambol about*
    Juan Pacheco, Marquis of Villena: that is what our sources report, Majesty.
    Enrique: no doubt the duke of Burgundy will soon have him back in London.
    Villena: oddly enough, the duke is not at all pleased with the arrival-
    Enrique: of course he’s displeased. No man ever wishes to have an uninvited guest. Particularly one who happens to think that because you’re married to his sister, that gives him some sort of priority.
    Villena: the duke has ordered that his retainer, a *consults paper* Señor Gruthuse, is to keep the king of England in Holland and tend to his needs until further notice. Most especially that the king does not want for anything, but also to ensure that he does not bother the duke or duchess until sent for.
    Enrique: he keeps him waiting like a footman?
    Villena: *maliciously* no doubt, the king has much experience in these matters. Since that is how Warwick treated him. A dog to be called one moment and whipped the next.
    Enrique: I take it that the duke will not be considering marrying his daughter to the king’s brother then.
    Villena: why settle for the king’s brother when the duke could have her be queen of England?
    Enrique: King Warwick will have something to say about that, surely
    Villena: they are not married yet. And Warwick is fast running out of candidates to back if the prince of Wales were to refuse. While he could revolt, who will he say he’s rising for? Edward of York? The man would behead him sooner than trust him. George of Clarence? Nobody approved of that the first time. And one can hardly believe that anyone like Queen Margarida trusts him.
    Enrique: I must remember to thank her.
    Villena: *looks puzzled*
    Enrique: what her brother is doing in Aragon. Keeping my *disgusted tone* brother-in-law busy so that he cannot be busy elsewhere. *half serious* perhaps I shall propose a match between the prince of Wales and the Infanta Juana[3]
    Villena: your Majesty has decided against the match with King Louis’ brother?
    Enrique: it seems that King Louis has decided against it, since the last I heard was that he was attempting to negotiate with the king of Bohemia to have his brother named heir.
    Villena: Bohemia is a long way away from Paris, sire.
    Enrique: yes, and it’s even further from Castile. What good would a match between the infanta and the king of Bohemia be I ask you?
    Villena: your Majesty has not reconciled to the treaty that you signed[4]
    Enrique: I signed it under duress. It is not bin-
    *hall falls silent as a messenger from the Prince de los Asturias enters*
    Enrique: *to Villena* would you care to lay a wager, Juan? My sister has given birth to a daughter.
    Villena: how can your Majesty be sure of that?
    Enrique: because if it were a son, I would’ve woken in the middle of the night to find a dagger in my heart.
    *messenger kneels before the throne*
    Messenger: I bring word from the Prince de los Asturias, regarding her Royal Highness, Isabel, Princesa de los Asturias, Infanta of Castile and Ara-
    Enrique: *impatiently* yes, yes, we all know who the Hell my sister is. *several courtiers laugh* Tell us the news you see fit to bother us with.
    Messenger: her Royal Highness, the Princess Isabel went into labour this afternoon. And at an hour befpre sunset she was delivered of a daughter-
    Enrique: *holds his hand out to Villena like “pay up”*
    Messenger: -sadly the infanta died shortly after birth.
    Enrique: *clearly meaning exactly the opposite* how tragic.
    Messenger: and the Princess Isabel- who at first seemed healthy- has died two hours after sunset. May God rest her soul.
    Enrique: *motions to Villena to pay the messenger*
    *the hall is silent as Enrique descends from his throne* *he walks over to where the eight-year-old Infanta Juana is standing* *nobody’s daring to breathe*
    Enrique: at last, we are free from war *he extends his hand to his daughter* *to the musicians* play a volta[5]!

*fade out on the courtiers dancing, the focus especially on Enrique dancing with his daughter*

[1] From the Magnificat: He [God] has shown strength, He has plucked the mighty from their seats
    [2] “How can they forgive their faults”, a song written by Alfonso X of Castile
    [3] Isabel is using the title of “princess of the Asturias” which means Juana “la Beltraneja” is nothing more than an infanta
    [4] Treaty of the Bulls of Guisando
    [5] The volta was only from the next century, but I couldn’t find what dance conveys “happiness”, since a “pavane” is slow and stately. Either way, Enrique is channeling his "inner asshole" by doing this. His comment of "free of the threat of war" is because this has radically changed the Iberian political landscape: Fernando el Catolico no longer has a means to justify him seizing the throne of Castile. True, he can argue (as he planned to OTL) that he's a Trastamara and Juana's illegitimate, but the Castilians aren't going to support an outright Aragonese conquest. And as Enrique points out, the Anjous are sitting in Aragon at present

The Spider, the Eagle and the Raven
  • November 1470

Soundtrack: Esperant que mon bien vendra[1]

*exterior* *Tours, France* *at an assembly of the estates, Louis XI announces that he abrogates the Treaty of Péronne that he made with the duke of Burgundy* *he charges Charles of Burgundy with lèse-majesté* *he charges him with numerous felonies unbecoming of a “prince of the blood of France”* *he charges him with treason which he uses then to deprive him of any right to the duchy of Burgundy[2]*

*exterior* *Villach, Austria* *Emperor Friedrich III, with Duke Sigismund of Austria, Elector Albrecht III of Brandenburg, some envoys of both Charles of Burgundy and Casimir IV of Poland, all affix their seals to an agreement* *it zooms in on the wording of the agreement: that all parties shall hereby resolve to maintain the king of Bohemia on his lawful throne and that all parties shall hereby resolve to curb any expansion, both present and future, of the called Hungarian king Matthias[3]*

*exterior* *Prague* *a lone figure rides up to the city gates* *he looks rather the worse for wear*
    Man *to the guard*: open for his Grace, the duke of Munsterberg!
    Guards: *look at him in surprise*
    Munsterberg: now, you fool. I bring urgent news for my father from the king of Hungary.
    Guards: *hastily scramble to open the gates* *Munsterberg rides into the city*

*cut to interior of the royal palace at Prague* *Munsterberg is seated at a banquet table* *he’s shaved and shampooed since he was at the gate* *and he’s tucking into the svíčková na smetaně in front of him*
    Munsterberg: and then the king of Hungary turned me loose[4] with a message for you, father.
    “Father” a.k.a Jiri of Poděbrady, King of Bohemia: and what is that? That I should simply allow him to sit in Brno? With Moravia in his hands?
    Munsterberg: He demands cession of Opava. Nothing more.
    Jiri: what’s the catch?
    Munsterberg: the Bohemian succession.
    Jiri: then there is no deal. The emperor and the duke of Burgundy have[5] already-
    Munsterberg: the king knows this. Knows that they will not consent to allowing him to become king of Bohemia. Not without a fight, anyway.
    Jiri: then what does he want?
    Munsterberg: that you revisit the idea of naming the duke of Guienne heir to Bohemia instead of nominating one of the king of Poland’s sons.
    Jiri: *looks surprised*
    Munsterberg: you were considering it before-
    Jiri: perhaps King Matthias has not heard that the Princess of Aragon has died. That the French king is now attempting to marry his brother to the Queen of Castile.
    Munsterberg: oh, he is very well aware of that. He also knows that the French king has proposed both his nephew, the prince of Viana’s son, and either the duke of Lorraine[6] or his son, to marry the same princess he says he is matching his brother to.
    Jiri: and if I do, once he takes Opava, what then? Does he foolishly believe that the emperor will simply allow him to reign in peace? After-
    Munsterberg: after the emperor has attempted to assassinate him[7]? I doubt he even considers the possibility. Much less the probability. Offer the succession to the duke of Guienne. He has no doubt that the king of France will be so pleased with being able to be rid of his brother…and were the emperor to attempt to assassinate him, I doubt the king of France would waste many tears on the man.

*fade to black*

[1] Hoping my property/goods will sell
    [2] This is all OTL. And the Estates voted unanimously on the matter
    [3] This was on October 28 1470 OTL
    [4] This occurred on November 1, when the truce agreed in July expired
    [5] Charles paid Jiri 250 000 florins just a few months before to pass on to his allies, the electors of Saxony and Brandenburg in an attempt to get them to vote for Charles in an imperial election
    [6] Jean II, Duke of Lorraine. And Charles, duc de Berri and Juana of Castile’s marriage contract was agreed in November 1470 OTL. TTL, with no Isabel to worry about, Enrique has a few more options to play with (in terms of a French match). A match between Juana and Nicolas d’Anjou doesn’t sound so weird either, since OTL, Louis XI tried to get Nicolas to agree to renounce his lands within France in exchange for French backing to marry Marie of Burgundy
    [7] This was genuinely an OTL argument after Matthias left the Habsburg court in March 1470. How much truth there was in the accusation, I can’t say

Death in the Family
  • December 1470

Soundtrack: Johannes Ockeghem - Mort tu as navré de ton dart

*exterior* *Barcelona* *we move to an interior* *there are several figures fussing around a bed* *in said bed, Jean II, Duke of Lorraine and Prince of Girona, lies, gasping for breath* *the attendants look on worriedly as the physicians attempt to ease his suffering*
    *suddenly, the body goes still* *a priest dips his ear close to Jean’s mouth to hear if he’s still breathing* *then he straightens and closes the duke’s eyes* *crosses himself and bows his head in respectful silence[1]*

*exterior* *Paris* *interior* *Hôtel d’Anjou is being draped in mourning* *we see a servant covering a portrait of the late duke with a mourning veil* *René, Duc d’Anjou looks sadly at the portrait before turning away, leaning on his grandson, the prince of Wales*
    René: *somberly* bad year for princes, Édouard.
    Edward: yes, bompa.
    René: first the queen of Sicily[2] dies, then the comte de Foix[3], now Jeannot.
    Edward: what a pity that the duke of York[4] or his newborn son were not among them.
    René: do not wish death, Édouard. You may not like the man, but on an innocent child?
    Edward: Cain and Abel were thrown out of Eden alongside their parents.
    René: you are young, to you the world is right and wrong, good and bad…I have buried all of my siblings save one, buried my wife and now, all five of my sons have gone to join our Saviour in paradise. I know that it is not always quite so clear who is favoured by God and who not.
    Edward: *nods*
    René: I can remember when your grandfather was made heir to France by the treaty of Troyes. To him it must’ve seemed inevitable that he would be crowned at Reims. Instead, the king’s grandfather outlived him and instead your father was crowned king. We have seen your father dethroned and now he is set on his throne once more. The duke of York has fled to Holland with none acknowledging him as king except the soi-disant king of Aragon[5]
    Edward: now the piper must be paid and I will need to marry the Lady Anne.
    René: such is life…many times we find ourselves with strange bedfellows indeed.
    Edward: sometimes I catch her looking at me as though she expects me to sprout horns and a tail at any moment.
    René: that too will pass.
    Edward: I wish I could say the same for either her father or her brother[6]. I don’t trust either man for an instant.
    René: then don’t. But until you land in England, there is little you can do about either.
    Edward: apparently Milord Warwick wishes us to arrive straight away.
    René: crossing the Channel in winter? Is he mad?
    Edward: he believes that Maman is stalling. That she is using Oncle Jean’s death as an excuse. Both for why we are still in France and why the wedding has not yet taken place-
    René: is your mother to blame that the pope’s dispensation is taking so long to get here?
    Edward: I don’t understand why she’s waiting for one. After all, *drops voice* if she just plans to set the Lady Anne aside once we’re in England, then not having a dispensation would make that easier to do, surely[7].
    René: you don’t approve?
    Edward: I don’t believe that any woman deserves to be cast aside like that. As you said, Bompa, to hold the children accountable for the sins their father’s committed…
    René: perhaps it will all become clear once you are in England. Until then…do what you can and leave the rest to God.

*fade to black*

[1] My original idea was to keep Jean II alive, but apparently his health problems started in August 1470 already. I was always under the impression that it was a sudden death given the rumours of poison.
    [2] Isabel la Catolica
    [3] Gaston, Prince of Viana, died in November 1470
    [4] Edward IV, Edward V was born in November 1470
    [5] Pretty much OTL, Juan II was the only king who didn’t recognize the readeption
    [6] George, Duke of Clarence
    [7] This is something I’ll admit to never having fully understood: namely, why Marguerite went to all the trouble of securing a dispensation if she simply planned to set the marriage aside. After all, Warwick didn’t bother with a dispensation for George and Isabel (as far as I know) who were far more closely related than Edward-Anne. Yes, it could’ve been a play for time, but if that was the case, then surely she could’ve used her brother’s death and “mourning” to buy another few months.

Actors Playing Pretend
  • January 1471

Soundtrack: Guillaume Dufay - Par Droit Je Puis Bien Complaindre

*exterior* *Boulogne* *a war camp* *in a tent, Charles, Duke of Burgundy, Edmund, Duke of Somerset and the duke of Exeter are present*
    Somerset: *clearly responding to something Charles has said* your Highness, your constant protestations of loyalty to the king and queen of England ill-accord with your actions of late regarding the Duke of York.
    Charles: our actions? Our sympathies were and do remain with Lancaster.
    Exeter: and yet you arm the duke of York at Vere.
    Charles: we do not arm him. We have simply provided him with three ships to leave Burgundy, thus nullifying our quarrel. If he wishes to take those ships and sail to Constantinople or Jerusalem or England, it has little to do with us. But you must agree, gentlemen, that the duchess having entered into her confinement with what will be a half-York child, means we must play strange parts, don’t you agree, Milord Exeter?
    Exeter: *about to respond*
    Charles: after all, we do not see anyone at the Hôtel d’Anjou questioning your loyalty to our most noble cause simply because your own daughter is married to the king’s [step]son.
    Somerset: then your Highness’ support is for King Henry?
    Charles: naturally. It would ill-behove us to do otherwise, since Flanders and Holland’s wool trade is absolutely vital for both of our causes.
    *both Lancastrians seem mollified*
    Charles: there is one matter, however, that does trouble us.
    Somerset: and what is that, your Highness?
    Charles: what the English are doing? We dispatched our man, Commines, to Calais[1] and he tells us that the English are behaving they are at war with the French. This seems odd to us given that King Louis is the main support of Milord Warwick?
    *both men shuffle awkwardly*
    Charles: still, it is to be expected, is it not? The king of France has dealt with us falsely, and we assure you that he will play you false as well, milords. Look at how he dealt with the duke of Lorraine – the queen’s brother – by poison[2]. How long do you think the king will wait before he deals a similar blow to the king of Sicily if he rejects being paired with his sister[3]? Or at how rapidly he has agreed to his brother becoming the king of Bohemia’s heir, when he promised him Aquitaine.
    Somerset: this last troubles you, sir? Given that you wished for your daughter to be the duchess of Aquitaine?
    Charles: why should it trouble us if instead of a duchess, our daughter becomes a queen? Since a match with the prince of Wales is no longer possible, whether that is to be queen of Sicily or Bohemia is of little concern to us [3].

*fade to black*

[1]From Commines’ own memoir: I went as far as Tournehem, a castle near to Guisnes, and then dared not proceed because I found people fleeing for fear of the English who were devastating the country.... Never before had I needed a safe-conduct for the English are very honourable.
    [2] There were rumours that Jean of Lorraine was poisoned, and given that Charles and Juan II of Aragon are allies, it stands to reason that Charles would repeat this
    [3] This is a pretty “logical” match, age-differences aside: the widower Fernando of Aragon marries his nephew’s widow, Madeleine de Valois. Despite the fact that she’s considerably older than him, she produced a surviving child in 1470, so it’s not an unthinkable match IMO. In reality, it’s Louis demonstrating “creative problem solving”: his nephew (Madeleine’s son, Francisco Febus) is heir to Navarre according to everyone but Juan II and Fernando. Marrying Fernando to Madeleine ensures that he can’t marry someone else (i.e. a Portuguese or Castilian infanta), leaving the field clear for Francisco Febus to succeed his grandmother in Navarre and his stepfather in Aragon. After all, Madeleine is already 27yo, and if she emulates her mother, she has another 15 years of childbearing left (Marie d’Anjou had a further nine children after she hit 27yo, including Madeleine, the duchess of Savoie, the duchess of Bourbon and the duc de Guienne). She also has the blood of Yolande of Aragon, not as “be all and end all” as it was during Yolande’s lifetime, but certainly a “selling point”. Plus, if Madeleine does not produce a (surviving) son before she hits menopause – not impossible, only two of Marie’s five sons survived – then it ties the Navarre-Aragon succession into a neat little bow and ensures a half-French king of Aragon
    [3] in short, Charles telling them that he won't agree to Marie marrying Gloucester (emphasizing his Lancastrian sympathies), but also illustrating his opposition to Louis XI's policies (indicating the only reason he's backing York is because Lancaster's sided with Louis)

Congratulamini Mihi [1]
  • Soundtrack: L'Ésperance de Bourbon - Sans Faire - La Danse de Clèves - Filles à Marier

*Exterior* *Brussels* *we see the Cathedral of Saint Michael and Gudule* *the town hall* *the Grand Place* *before we stop at the Coudenberg Palace*

*interior* *we see the fourteen-year-old Marie of Burgundy at dancing lessons with her aunt and governess, Anne, Lady of Ravenstein and Anne's stepson, Philip of Cleves [2]*
    *While their backs are turned, a messenger arrives and tells Anne something, then leaves* *her face goes from happy to worried as she looks at Marie* *she claps her hands for silence* *the musicians obey*
    Marie: what is it, ma tante?
    Anne: *takes Marie's hand in her own* *leads her over to the window seat* *they're followed by Philip* *looks very serious* Mignonne, the messenger arrived with news.
    Philip: *impatiently* is it Madame Marguerite's time yet?
    Anne: *looks at him like "calm down"* your mother has gone into labour-
    Marie: is it a sister for me, Tante? Is that why you look as though a funeral is in prospect?
    Anne: no, your Royal Highness-
    Marie: then my brother was born dead?
    Anne: no, Madame.
    Marie: has something happened to my mother?
    Anne: she is as well as can be hoped, Madame. although she is very tired after her travails.
    Marie: so then why the long face? If my brother is not born dead, then Burgundy is safe, is it not?
    Anne: *looks like she doesn't know what the right answer is to this question*
    Marie: *waves her hand for the musicians to play* something merry not one of those dirges. *Grabs Philip's hand to start dancing* Vivat Carolus Dux!
    Anne, Philip & musicians: et tota domus Burgundia! [3]

*Fade to black*

[1] Rejoice with me. Incipit of a Easter Sunday hymn describing St. Mary Magdalene's encounter with the Risen Christ
    [2] son of Anne's second husband, Adolph of Cleves, Lord of Ravenstein, and his first wife, Beatriz of Coimbra. Beatriz' sister, Isabel, is the mother of João II of Portugal. Phil and Marie were described as being thick as thieves growing up
    [3] Marie: long live Duke Charles. Response: And the whole house of Burgundy

Swept Out Through The Door, Coming Back Down the Chimney [1]
  • Soundtrack: Throw The House Out The Windowe

*exterior* *Piazza del Duomo, Milan* *we see a horse-rider in Sforza livery galloping into the square*
    *cut to Castello Sforzesco* *interior* *Galeazzo Maria Sforza is picking at his meal* *his mistress is seated across his lap* *there's music playing in the background as the man in livery reads a letter*
    Man: Your Excellency will hear of the king's victory over the Burgundians. The duke is near Amiens and the king not far off awaiting Monsieur de Guienne his brother, who should have joined him by now with three hundred lances and other troops amounting in all to eight thousand combattants. They also expect the Earl of Warwick with fifteen thousand English. But though they say the English have landed in Normandy they must be few, as vigorous fighting is going on that side of the Channel. The Lorrainers are also fighting against the duke, in fact everything seems to be against him at present. [2]
    Galeazzo: it must be galling for my brother in Burgundy to have to tolerate such a galling loss after mistaking the birth of his son for a sign of divine favour. Still, Signor Bettini [3] is of the belief that English assistance will not be required. In fact, per Signor Salvatico [4], the duke of York has successfully landed at Crowsmere [5]. Although, the report from Bettini is that York had been killed in the battle against the Earl of Oxford.
    Man: of course, your Excellency.

*exterior* *Westminster Abbey* *a woman and her daughter cross the courtyard where the monks are hanging their laundry [6]* *they stop in front of the door to the Sanctuary*
    Woman: Lady Zouche [7] with news for the Duchess of York
    Guard: *stands aside*
    Zouche: *to her daughter* stay here Meg [8]
    Meg: *nods*

*cut to Cheyneygates [9]* *Elizabeth Wydeville, Thomas Millyng [10] and Lady Zouche are all seated around a table* *in fact, the comfort is almost enough to make one forget that this is Elizabeth's prison [11]*
    Elizabeth: *as though recovering from a shock* Edward is not dead? *she and Millyng crosses themselves in relief*
    Zouche: *with baby Edward in her lap* no, Majesty...he has landed, safe and sound- mostly, anyway, they lost a single ship- at Crowsmere [5]. The locals apparently mistook the Yorkist sun on the banners for the star of the de Veres. Only to realize their mistake too late. Milord Oxenford's brother, George...was killed in the fighting.
    Millyng: and the king?
    Zouche: he, his brother, Lords Hastings, Rivers and Saye are marching south from Crowsmere. Milord Warwick's son-in-law [12] and Lord Somerset are pressing for them to march to meet them.
    Elizabeth: not King Henry?
    Zouche: his son has had a great following since he arrived last month [12], and many say that even if the prince should prove successful it would be more for him than for the king [13].

*fade to black*

[1] old proverb, usually implying a bad habit/person you can't seem to shake no matter what you do. Also, how Sforza de Bettini described Edward's embarkation from Flushing OTL ("It is a difficult matter to go out by the door and then want to enter by the windows. They think he will leave his skin there")
    [2] based on the letters of Giovanni Filippi de Terrate from Grenoble to the duke of Milan in March 1471
    [3] Sforza de Bettini, Milanese ambassador to the French and Burgundian courts at the time
    [4] Francesco Salvatico, Milanese ambassador to the English court of Henry VI who relayed Galeazzo's congratulations on the prince of Wales' marriage and the restoration of King Henry
    [5] Cromer. Edward IV attempted to land there on the 12th of March 1471 but was beaten back by the locals. This is actually "good" for the Yorkists, since between departing Cromer on the 12th and landing at Ravenspur/Poole on the 14th, they lost about half their company, a whole ship load of horses, due to bad weather. Edward had to send for 6000 fighting men from Holland/Zeeland on April 9 1471 as a result
    [6] the original purpose of the courtyard in front of the West Door [i.e. the entrance to the Abbey's sanctuary]
    [7] Elizabeth St. John, wife of the 5th Baron Zouche, Edward V's godmother and Margaret Beaufort's half-sister, as well as one of Elizabeth Wydeville's most trusted/loyal ladies-in-waiting. She was the one who brought news to Elizabeth in sanctuary in both 1470 and 1483. She never left Edward V's side until Richard III dismissed her shortly before/after arriving in London with the new king. She also attempted to see Edward V afterwards and according to some accounts, was the one given the responsibility of handing over Richard of Shrewsbury.
    [8] Elizabeth's only child by her first husband, Margaret. Meg later became...wait for it...the wife of William Catesby (Richard III's "cat")
    [9] contrary to popular belief (looking at you Philippa Gregory and others), Elizabeth's "sanctuary" was not the Abbey's "dank and dark" sanctuary (that was reserved for petty thieves, debtors and bankrupts trying to avoid imprisonment at the Gatehouse Prison) but rather the Abbot's House, Cheyneygates (what is now known as the Deanery). Nor was it some "panicked flight" (as often portrayed) since there is record that "Her brother [Lionel] and her servants broke down the Abbey walls in order to get her furniture, chests and other items through."
    [10] Abbot of Westminster who was made Bishop of Hereford in 1474 and who stood godfather to Edward V
    [11] in 1486, Elizabeth took out the lease on "Cheyneygates Mansion" and it was described as a "stately home" and a "luxurious dwelling". And she clearly thought it suitably "regal" enough to take out a 40 year lease on the place
    [12] i.e. Edward, Prince of Wales, who is a bit awkward to call "the prince of Wales". For context, according to a letter from Galeazzo Sforza to Marguerite d'Anjou dated to January 11 1471, as well as a response by Sforza de Bettini from 15 February (to a letter from 5 February), Edward of Westminster had been due to leave France with Signor Salvatico at some point between the 5 and 15 February 1471. Let's assume that Edward did leave then, since I can't find the reason he didn't
    [13] what was reported about Edward of Westminster's charisma in a letter dated 30 March 1471. He wanted to engage the Yorkists shortly after they landed already, but he was overruled.

Milord of Oxenford's Maske
  • Soundtrack: Ave Maris Stella

April 1471

*exterior* *Weymouth* *we see Marguerite d'Anjou riding into town* *followed by her daughter-in-law, Anne Neville, Princess of Wales, her sister, the duchess of Clarence, their mother, the Countess of Warwick and Eleanor Talbot, Duchess of Somerset* *and a few hundred soldiers[1]*
    *there are scattered cheers, although hardly a "hearty welcome"*
    Countess of Warwick: such a ragged crowd of crook-backed persons to receive their queen. They act as though they are attending a funeral.
    *Messenger rides up*
    Messenger: *bows to Queen Marguerite* from Milady Oxenford [2] for her sister, Lady Warwick.
    Marguerite: what is your message?
    Messenger: there has been a battle at Colchester your Majesty. The king's army against the rebels.
    Marguerite: *sarcastically* you don't say. I thought perhaps the duke of Guienne had mistaken Kent for Prague.
    Messenger: the county of Kent rose against the king and threw open the city gates for the rebels. The king's soldiers attempted to hold them off but were finally overwhelmed by the earl of March's supporters. The earl entered Colchester the next morning.
    Marguerite: and then?
    Messenger: he had many of the king's men who had borne arms against him executed. He hs demanded the skin of the prince of Wales - who led the men against him - for a hearth rug [3].
    Marguerite: *immediately stricken* Edward led the men?
    Messenger: yes, your Majesty. Many of those in London decided that they should rather follow him than Milord Warwick.
    Marguerite: *glares accusingly at the Nevilles* mark my words, Lady Warwick, if I find that your husband has played us falsely, his head will join the earl of March's on London Bridge.
    *The Nevilles look suitably worried*
    Marguerite: where is Edward now?
    Messenger: he and his men are safely at Braintree, Majesty.
    Marguerite: who is with him?
    Messenger: Milord Montagu, Clifford [4] and Oxenford. The duke of Exeter perished in the battle [5] and Milord Warwick was borne from the field clinging to his horse lest the earl of March capture him as he did the duke of Clarence.
    Isabel Neville: George was captured?
    Messenger: by Milord Percy, Madam.
    Marguerite: the Percies have turned on King Henry so?
    Messenger: aye, Majesty.
    Marguerite: who is in London with the king?
    Messenger: the duke of Somerset and Milord Pembroke, Majesty. It was believed that they would be able to be trusted with charge of the king.
    Marguerite: *to messenger* return to Braintree. Tell the prince of Wales and Milord Oxenford to withdraw to London at once. We cannot allow the capital to fall or the king to be captured again.

*Raises arm for the soldiers to continue marching*

*Fade to black*

[1] I'm not sure that Marguerite brought any soldiers with her, although, according to the correspondence of the Milanese ambassador, her ships did carry horses for the Lancastrian war effort, which might imply that there were soldiers aboard. After all, it seems rather ridiculous to be bringing war horses- which the Bretons attempted to capture at sea- but no soldiers or guns.
    [2] the 13e Earl of Oxford was married to Margaret Neville, the Kingmaker's sister
    [3] why not channel a bit of Shakespeare. Although in Henry VI it is Warwick's skin Edward demands
    [4] John Neville, marquess of Montagu. The 10e Baron Clifford was his ward, so it stands to reason he'd be present
    [5] Edward IV's brother-in-law nearly died at Barnet OTL

Marching To Rochester
  • Soundtrack: Chestnut - Kettle Drum - The Symphony

April 1471

*exterior* *Chelmsford* *there's obviously just been a battle judging by the carnage we see* *we see Edward of Westminster wincing as they remove his armour, but he's trying not to show it* *Warwick enters the tent*
    Edward: [expletive] Yorkist dogs. Attacking us like this.
    Warwick: what more can one expect, sir.
    Edward: what news?
    Warwick: his Grace, your father, has been removed from London to Windsor for safety.
    Edward: is the City so for the Yorks?
    Warwick: it is a precautionary measure, your Highness. The earl of Oxford thought it for the best.
    Edward: *frowns* why?
    Warwick: *clearly being awkward about how to phrase this* Kent has risen, sir.
    Edward: the earl?
    Warwick: the county. It is proving...less docile than we thought. The queen and the princess of Wales are at Rochester as we speak. It seems that they've been unable to approach London by the most direct route due to...disturbances. How much of a role the earl of Kent is playing in this, I'll admit I have no idea.
    Edward: and what are my lady mother's plans from Rochester?
    Warwick: they hope to take ship. To approach London by water.
    Edward: there's no other way that they can travel?
    Warwick: no other way safe.
    Edward: so they will leave the men they brought from France in Kent?
    Warwick: I understand that they will bring as many as they can-
    Edward: but not all. *stands up* *snapping orders for them to replace his armour*
    Warwick: *looks surprised*
    Edward: *to a lackey* tell the men that are able, we march within an hour. I am not leaving London or Kent to the usurper

*fade to black*

Welcome, Dread Sirs, to Town
  • Soundtrack: The Queine of Ingland's Paven and Gallyard

April 1471

*exterior* *London* *we hear bells ringing as the city gates are thrown open* *the Lord Mayor and the Aldermen are standing abreast across the street* *the camera pans to see what they see, which is King Edward riding into town* *on his left and right are Lord Scales [1] and Lord Hastings* *behind them with no trace of the "captivity" that we saw mentioned following Colchester, ride the Dukes of Clarence and Gloucester*
    Clarence: *interrupts the mayor's speech* and are those the same words with which you welcomed King Henry, sir?
    Gloucester: one could almost ask if how you Edward was the same as how you betrayed Warwick, brothermine.
    *several chuckles*
    Edward: *holds up his hand for silence between his brothers* *although we can see he is clearly fighting a smile himself* pray, Milord Mayor, continue.
    Mayor: as I was saying, your Grace, it is only fitting that since London did not surrender to your army that you come not as a conqueror with an army to a captured city but arrive in peace. As our most noble and loyal protector.
    Clarence: and I suppose you believe we should leave the army outside the city walls...so as to not alarm the shopkeepers?
    Mayor: your Highness is the one to suggest it, not I.
    Clarence: traitrous fool.
    Edward: peace, George.
    Clarence: *subsides into a moody silence*
    Edward: the city has been of some service to us. They have kept our most beloved queen and daughters safe, and most importantly *smirks at Clarence* my son. It would appear base ingratitude to behave so ill towards them.
    Mayor: your Grace does us much credit *sweeps off wig and bows deeply*
    Edward: *hands his mace [2] to Hastings* *takes a pouch in return* *to the people of London gathered behind the mayor* my purse for the one who leads me to my wife and son in the abbey
    *the crowd - formerly nervously shifting and paralyzed - suddenly becomes activity as everyone is clamouring to take the reins of Edward's horse* *he selects one specific individual* *next thing he's dismounting the horse*
    Edward: come on, Tom and Dick, your mother will want to see you.
    *we see both of Elizabeth Wydeville's sons falling out of the line*
    Edward: you better come too, Antony.
    Clarence: *irritably* why don't we all come.
    Edward: save that up for your wife, George. Maybe this time you'll get a son like me.
    *several chuckles from the troops as Antony dismounts* *even a shared grin among the aldermen*
    Hastings: *watches Edward walk away in the crowd* I'm yet to decide if he's all mad or all fool.

*inside the abbey, we see Edward and Elizabeth being tearfully reunited* *he picks up and hugs each of his daughters in turn* *then gently takes his son from Lady Zouche [3] and kisses the baby's forehead*

*fade out*

[1] Antony Wydeville
    [2] apparently Edward's preferred weapon of choice- like Robert Baratheon- was a battle mace rather than a sword
    [3] Lady Zouche is Margaret Beaufort's maternal half-sister and Edward V's godmother (both OTL and TTL)

Last edited:
    Follow Me My Merry, Merry Men [1]
  • Soundtrack: Come Follow, Follow Me!

April 1471

*inside the abbey, we see Edward and Elizabeth being tearfully reunited* *he picks up and hugs each of his daughters in turn* *then gently takes his son from Lady Zouche [2] and kisses the baby's forehead*
    Hastings: *walks up to them after a bit* sire...?
    Edward: *not even looking up* what is it?
    Hastings: Prince Edward has entered Rochester less than an hour ago.
    *women look stricken*
    Edward: *half amused* has he now? *hands his son off to his mother-in-law, Jacquetta of Luxembourg, Duchess of Bedford [3]*
    Hastings: *to Elizabeth* it pains me to bring your Majesty the news that your brother of Kent [4] was killed in the taking of the town.
    Elizabeth: poor Elinor [5]
    Jacquetta: *pragmatically* I doubt the prince and his army will trouble a widow and her son [6]. *to Edward* On your Grace's return, you shall find us much the same.
    Elizabeth: *looks stricken* but he-
    Edward: my son cannot be prince of Wales while there is another *kisses her forehead* *goes down on his knees to Elizabeth of York* look after your brother until I return
    5yo Elizabeth: *nods*

*cut to Edward of Westminster entering Rochester Cathedral, spurs clinking on the flags* *we see Viscount Beaumont and Baron Dymoke[7] and his brother in his wake* *Edward approaches the front of the church* *crosses himself before the altar* *then kneels in prayer* *Beaumont and the Dymokes do the same*
    *the church's sanctuary door bursts open and we see Queen Marguerite, the Neville women, and the duchess of Somerset [8] emerge*
    Edward: *eyes half-closed in prayer* the church walls would not have saved you, Mother. Had it been the Usurper and not I, he would've dragged you from sanctuary as he did with Robert's father and uncle [9].
    Bishop of Rochester [10]: that would've been in violation of the laws of sanctuary, your Highness
    Edward: *slaps the bishop through the face* and you would've sold my wife and mother into such bondage without a second thought, Milord Bishop. *tosses something at Rochester's feet*
    Rochester: your Highness, this is a house of God!
    Edward: *walks over to Anne* *embraces her* that is what I do to men who take up arms against me. Go tell your king that.
    *we see that what he tossed at Rochester's feet* *the bishop's robes spattered with blood from where it landed* *it's the head of Antony Grey, heir to the earl of Kent*

*fade to black*

[1] from the Scottish Jacobite song "Hey Johnnie Cope"
    [2] Lady Zouche is Margaret Beaufort's maternal half-sister and Edward V's godmother (both OTL and TTL)
    [3] just like Mary Tudor was always the "French queen" and never "duchess of Suffolk" or Elizabeth Wydeville's own sister-in-law was still referred to as "duchess of Norfolk" despite three subsequent marriages, I don't see why Jacquetta would be "Lady Rivers" (as Philippa Gregory and several other modern authors refer to her) instead of "Duchess of Bedford"
    [4] the Kent in question is Antony Grey, the son and heir of the 1e earl of Kent. Per a later French source, Tony was wounded at the Battle of Barnet (which might account for he and his wife's lack of children) and his death was basically due to injuries sustained there. Here, he goes out with his boots on.
    [5] sources seem to vary on whether Antony Grey's wife was called Elinor or Jane
    [6] Antony and Elinor have managed to have a son here
    [7] Sir Robert Dymoke (OTL champion at the coronations of both Richard III and Henry VII) had seen his dad beheaded by Edward IV in March 1470, I doubt that he's exactly filled with warm and fuzzies for the Yorks. I also can't find a birth-year for him, with some sources positing a date in the 1450s and others arguing that he was born in 1470 (based on his marriage year- which is variously given as 1479 or 1493). Either way, we know Bobby's parents married in 1457 when his mother (Margaret Welles) was around 23. So it's not impossible that he was of "fighting/riding" age by 1471.
    [8] Cecily Bonville
    [9] Edward IV lured both Robert Dymoke's father (Thomas Dymoke) and the 8e Baron Welles (Dymoke's uncle) from Westminster Abbey with the promise of a pardon
    [10] Thomas Rotherham, Edward's keeper of the Privy Seal

And Since The Time’s Distress To War’s Alarms
  • Soundtrack: Orlando Gibbons - Now Each Flowery Bank of May

May 1471 [1]

*Rochester* *dawn at Edward IV's camp outside the city* *the city is clearly under siege given the way that the soldiers are milling about, the guns are quiet, but there are clear marks in the city's walls that show damage sustained during the siege* *we see the bishop of Rochester emerging from the city, riding a donkey [2]*
    *cut to Edward IV's tent*
    Thomas Rotherham, Bishop of Rochester: *bows to Edward* your Highness, Rochester pledges its utmost fealty towards you and yours.
    Edward IV: *acidly* and such utmost fealty did not extend to bringing me Prince Edward?
    Rotherham: I cannot speak for the behaviour of the city, sire. Until this morning, I was held a prisoner in the castle.
    Edward IV: has he taken to imprisoning clergymen now?
    Rotherham: it was only so long as I refused to renounce my loyalty to you, sire.
    George, Duke of Clarence: *sarcastically* and yet here you are, are we to assume that that means that you have turned on us, Milord Bishop?
    Rotherham: as you have turned on your own brother, not once, but twice [3]. No doubt history will remember your Highness as the Prince of Weathercocks.
    George: *looks furious* *starts storming over to the bishop*
    Edward: *bursts out laughing at the image* Prince of Weathercocks...that's very funny *nods at Rotherham* that fails to explain the conundrum, milord, of you are here if he is there.
    Rotherham: I assure your Highness, it is nothing more than a miracle, like the angel rescuing Saint Peter[4], I awoke to find myself free.
    George: *mutters subversively* conveniently.
    Rotherham: none has doubted your conversion, sir, although many may suspect it.
    Edward IV: and the queen, the prince, his wife, and my sister [3]? Are we to believe that they were suddenly inspired by a fit of mercy and decided to await us to enter the town?
    Rotherham: as to a fit of mercy, I would remind your Highness that it behoves a king to be merciful. None questioned yours when you spared the life of your brother after capturing him at Colchester. Although, as I say, there is a murmuration that it was less of a capture and more of a defection.
    George: and who is saying this?
    Rotherham: the queen. The prince. In fact, were it not for their mercy, I don't doubt that your wife and mother[-in-law] that you abandoned to their mercy should have been the Saint Silas to my Saint Paul [5].
    George: *stunned silence*
    Edward IV: as I understand what you are saying, Milord, the queen, her son, the Countess of Warwick and her daughters, are no longer in Rochester?
    George: how did you understand that? He's been as clear as mud!
    Rotherham: that would be correct, sire.
    Edward IV: and you don't know where they have gone?
    Rotherham: on the contrary, sire. I am well aware of where they said they were going to go-
    George: London. We've left it aband-
    Rotherham: near enough, sir. To Windsor, sir. To join the king, your Highness.
    Edward IV: to advance on London?
    Rotherham: that would be my opinion, sire. But I am not a soldier.
    *while Edward is clearly digesting this, a lackey hurriedly enters the tent* *he's out of breath*
    Lackey: from Lord Northumberland, sire.
    George: *annoyed* what do the Percies want?
    Lackey: Milord Clifford's brother has raised the Lancastrian standard at Hartlepool, sire. He is rallying the north. With him are Lord Dacre [6] and Lord de Ros He and the Bishop of Durham [7] are mustering their men, but they warn that if not dealt with swiftly, this will see the whole of England in flames.
    Edward: *looks conflicted about which direction to run in* tell the army we march north.
    *a second lackey leaves tent*
    George: and you just abandon the siege?
    Edward: there's no point in laying siege to a town, George, if the only reason for the siege is no longer in it.
    George: you're marching north. That Lancastrian bastard is going to Windsor- you heard Rochester-
    Edward: *smirks* exactly. We know where he'll be when we come back down south.
    George: *muttering* if we come back

*fade to black*

[1] for argument's sake let's assume that Edward of Westminster's relief of Rochester was on the last days of April
    [2] much as this sounds like a joke on Edward of Westminster's part, it was actually standard practice that, if acting in an official capacity, a clergyman wasn't allowed to ride on a horse, but either had to travel by litter or on a donkey
    [3] turned on Edward IV for Warwick, then turned on Edward of Westminster (his brother-in-law, and who is still holding the duchess of Clarence) for the Yorkists
    [4] Acts 12:3-19. The apostle Peter is imprisoned by Herod
    [5] also from Acts, where the pair are imprisoned in Philippi. An earthquake strikes and the doors of the prison are opened, and were it not for Paul's assurance, the jailer would've killed himself, believing that all the prisoners had escaped.
    [6] this is an example of why the war of the Roses is called the Cousins' War. Henry VI ruled that the 7e Lord Dacre's wife (the daughter of the 6e Lord Dacre) be allowed to succeed to her grandfather's titles ahead of her uncle. Lord Dacre (né Fiennes)'s home base is at Herstmonceux, Surrey (the family also has holdings in Sussex). However, by right of his wife, he also has several lovely castles in Cumbria, Northumberland and on the borders. From what I can make out, Lady Dacre's "disinherited uncle" sided with Edward. Lord de Ros is the nephew (via his mother) of Edward's dead "butcher of England", the earl of Worcester. Lord Clifford is the heir of Lord Bromvlete, which gives him considerable estates in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Ergo, combined with their own holdings in Cumberland, Neville holdings in Westmorland, and you can see why this is cause for concern.
    [7] Lawrence Booth, formerly Marguerite d'Anjou's chancellor and according to some sources, Chancellor of Cambridge University, although some sources point out that he lost that post under the Yorks

Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Soundtrack: Kalenda Maya

May 1471

*exterior* *Moutils-lès-Tours* *Louis XI, King of France, the chancellor of France, Guillaume Jouvenel des Ursins, the Sieur de Craon, and Philippe de Commines are all present* *they are discussing the terms of the truce between Louis and the duke of Burgundy[1]*
    *a servant enters and goes to Louis' side*
    Louis: *suddenly* gentlemen, I think we should all adjourn for the day. I see no reason that this cannot wait the night.
    *men look surprised as he walks out*

*cut to another room* *Louis enters to find another much younger man already there*
    Servant: your Majesty, this is Thierry de Lobkoviz[2], the envoy from Bohemia
    Lobkowicz: *bows deeply* your Majesty.
    Louis: *sits down* you have come a long way, Monsieur.
    Lobkowicz: it is an honour, sire.
    Louis: what is it you wish to speak to us about?
    Lobkowicz: your Majesty is aware of the king of Bohemia's untimely passing.
    Louis: of course, have the estates chosen a new king? I understand the king of Hungary is rather eager for it to be him.
    Lobkowicz: what King Crow wants and what is best for Bohemia are not entirely the same thing.
    Louis: of course.
    Lobkowicz: we, in Bohemia, have not forgotten your Majesty's kindness and...steadfastness in defending the late king to the pope[3]
    Louis: I am only sorry that we could not do more, Monsieur
    Lobkowicz: *nods* it seems, of late, that the king of Hungary is in negotiations with the emperor and the pope to be confirmed as King George's successor.
    Louis: and the estates are not satisfied with this idea?
    Lobkowicz: to be sure, the king of Hungary has bought several. However, the duke of Burgundy has bought more[4]
    Louis: *intrigued* has he now?
    Lobkowicz: *nods* the queen of Poland's son[5] is the main candidate for the opposition.

Louis: the duke of Burgundy does not wish to become the king of Bohemia?

Lobkowicz: not exactly, sire. He has refused the offer of the crown twice already[6]-
    Louis: I was under the impression it was the elector of Brandenburg[7] had had something to do with that.
    Lobkowicz: be that as it may, his Royal Highness' candidate could suit your Majesty rather well.
    Louis: *makes tell me more gesture*
    Lobkowicz: if your Majesty's brother, the duke of Guienne, were to be chosen as king of Bohemia...it is unlikely that the pope would agree to support the king of Hungary in such a manner against the ambitions of the most powerful king in Christendom.
    Louis: and if our most beloved brother were to be chosen as king of Bohemia, what would that entail?
    Lobkowicz: he would no doubt be obliged to honour the prince of Poland's betrothal to the late king's daughter.
    Louis: that is all?
    Lobkowicz: the Bohemians only want to be free of the king of Hungary's advances. He can't very well defy the pope in claiming the crown, otherwise he should be found in the same category as the late king.
    Louis: and what does the emperor opine on this matter?
    Lobkowicz: the emperor wishes for us to choose his son. The Bohemians will not. Despite his protestations of fatherly love and respect to the king of Hungary, he no more wants him to be king of Bohemia than the Bohemians do.
    Louis: and the emperor will not object to our brother?
    Lobkowicz: he would not dare defy the pope. And the pope would not dare risk a second tenure at Avignon by supporting King Crow over your Majesty's brother.

*fade to black*

[1] this is OTL. The truce they negotiated lasted until July and spared Charles the Bold from razing the city of Amiens
    [2] Diepold/Theobald von Lobkowicz
    [3] this would be in 1466 when Louis XI, together with several German princes, defended George of Podiebrady against the charge of heresy brought against him by Paul II
    [4] there's no proof that Charles did this, although he did make several loans to George of Podiebrady in the years between 1466 and 1471
    [5] OTL Vlad Bene
    [6] in 1466 and 1469
    [7] OTL leader of both the anti-Burgundian and anti-Bohemian party at the Habsburg court

Who Laughs Last?
  • Many thanks to @Nuraghe for suggesting the nominations for cardinal as we look at how news of the Bohemian candidate is received on the other side of the Rhine:

Soundtrack: Maienzit

May 1471

*exterior* *Regensburg[1]* *Emperor Friedrich III is shown attending the Reichstag in great state* *alongside him stands his twelve-year-old son Maximilian* *the electors watch as Cardinal Todeschi-Piccolomini[2] enters the hall and approaches the throne*
    Cardinal Todeschi-Piccolomini: *bows before the throne* *then takes a rolled document from his attendant and hands it to Friedrich's chamberlain*
    Friedrich: *watches this all* *motions for the chamberlain to read it out*
    Chamberlain: *reads* from the Holy Father, to all to whom these news and wishes come, our greetings and blessings. It is with great sorrow and regret that we mourn the loss of our beloved son, the king of Bohemia-
    *several in the hall cross themselves*
    Chamberlain: -and in light of which, we fully accept the decision of the Bohemian Estates having nominated Charles of France, Duke of Berry, Guyenne and Normandy, to be his successor-
    *utter silence in the hall*
    Chamberlain: furthermore, it is our delight and pleasure to name His Excellency and our most beloved son, Theodoric of Isenburg[3], Archbishop of Mainz to the cardinal-priesthood of the church of San Vitale and the rank of protonotary apostolic; His Excellency and our most beloved son, Johannes of Baden, the Archbishop of Trier, to the cardinal-priesthood of the church of San Sisto; and lastly, his Excellency and our most beloved son, Robertus of Bavaria[4], the Archbishop of Cologne, to the cardinal-deaconry of the church of San Vito and Modesto
    *further flowery phrases about the calls for unity, for crusade against the Turks and professions of love and loyalty for Friedrich* *finally, after the chamberlain is finished reading Rupprecht of the Palatinate and Johann of Baden both come forward* *both kneel* *Cardinal Todeschi-Piccolomini places a cardinal's biretta on the head of first the one, then the other*
    Friedrich III: *descends from his throne* *raises both men up* *kisses each man on both cheeks*

*afterwards* *Friedrich and Maximilian are sitting at dinner in private*
    12yo Maximilian: I don't understand why you accepted that. It makes you look foolish to the king of France.
    Friedrich III: and what should I do? In your opinion?
    Maximilian: you should send an army into Bohemia instead of hiding in a castle
    Friedrich III: and what would that accomplish?
    Maximilian: that they would recognize you as king and not laugh at you as a grocer behind their hands.
    Friedrich III: let them laugh, for I endure. To object to the king of France's brother as becoming king of Bohemia, I have to endorse someone. They have already rejected the candidature of both yourself and that of your cousin Sigmund[5] when the duke of Burgundy proposed it. The two main contenders are to be the king of Hungary- and we cannot have that since then we will be faced with war with him on two fronts- and the king of Poland's son. Which of those is a bigger threat to us?
    Maximilian: the king of Hungary
    Friedrich III: I have no animus towards my brother in France. And since the duke of Burgundy supports the duke of Berry, it is a fine way to ensure that I keep in good with both of them, at no cost to myself.
    Maximilian: and the king of Hungary?
    Friedrich III: no doubt, he will find shortly, that should he continue this war against the candidate of his Holiness, he shall find himself at the end of a similar bull of excommunication to that which the king of Bohemia suffered under.
    Maximilian: but the duke of Burgundy wishes to use the king of Bohemia to turn the election for king of the Romans in his favour.
    Friedrich III: it is a fine thing for him to decide that. But he will not. The elector of Brandenburg will not vote for him.
    Maximilian: *counts on his finger*
    Friedrich III: none of those three cardinals who the pope just created will vote for him-
    Maximilian: but the prince of Nassau is archbishop in Mainz, so that is only two.
    Friedrich III: and the prince of Nassau was helped into his seat by the archbishop of Trier[6]. *ticks up Maximilian's fingers* so that makes four. And the Archbishop of Cologne is a trouble maker[7] by nature, if he doesn't vote for us he will most certainly vote for his brother, the Elector Palatine. So either way, it will not be a vote for the duke of Burgundy. Most importantly, why should the duke of Berry with Bohemia's vote owe any gratitude to the duke of Burgundy? While the duke may have played a role in his choosing, that Berry has perpetually proved ungrateful to his own brother, the king of France in the past, suggests that he would prove similarly grateless here.
    Maximlian: *looks at his father*
    Friedrich III: this is why I let them laugh if they will. I endure. The Habsburgs endure.

*fade to black*

[1] the imperial diet was summoned to meet here at the end of April 1471
    [2] Paul II sent him as his emissary to the diet OTL as well
    [3] Dieter von Isenburg, former archbishop of Mainz. He was overthrown by Adolf of Nassau (twice), but had the last laugh when he succeeded Adolf in 1475 as archbishop of Mainz. He was a known enemy of the late Pius II (something he would've had in common with Paul II) as well as a promoter of reform of the imperial church
    [4] Ruprecht of the Palatinate, prime candidate for being raised to the purple (as was Johann II of Baden) but never was.
    [5] Charles the Bold really did suggest this OTL. Apparently it was part of a scheme by which Sigmund would permanently renounce his lands mortgaged to Charles in exchange for the moneys owed by King George of Podiebrady being forgiven. It was rejected by the Bohemians because Sigmund had no son and they feared that the emperor would use it as a stepping stone to shoehorn Maximilian in as Sigmund's heir.
    [6] this is pretty much OTL
    [7] this is pretty much OTL

@DracoLazarus @BlueFlowwer @isabella @RedKing @Zygmunt Stary @Jan Olbracht @Fehérvári @eliamartin65 @Dragonboy @Andristan @Victoria @HortenseMancini

Oh What A Tangled Web We Weave
  • Soundtrack: Ce Fut En Mai

May 1471

*exterior* *we see Edward IV and his army fighting a force that flying standards bearing the bear-and-ragged staff of the Nevilles, the lion of Viscount Beaumont and the silver scallops of the Dacres-Fiennes*

*cut to Saint George’s Chapel, Windsor* *King Henry is seated in the pew next to his wife, son and daughter-in-law* *at the front of the church, we see William Morland[1], Dean of Windsor officiating what is clearly a marriage ceremony* *the 4th duke of Somerset and his brother, the Earl of Dorset are marrying Eleanor Talbot and Cecily Bonville, 7e Baroness Harington[2]*
    Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire: have you ever seen anything so ridiculous, Madam? We must watch the marriage of a harlot and a child.
    Anne Beauchamp, Countess of Warwick: it is the king’s will, Lady Wiltshire.
    Margaret: it is your husband’s will[3]. And the prince is indulging him.
    Anne: you would have to discuss that with him, milady.
    Isabel Neville, Duchess of Clarence: *watching the ceremony* I can’t help thinking of an octopus, mama. That the prince is doing everything he can to tie Neville to Lancaster. That if Lancaster wins and Annie’s child isn’t a boy, there will never be a chance of papa turning on him. And if Lancaster loses…we shall all be drowned alongside them.
    Anne: *to Isabel* hush…a wedding is not time for such talk.
    Margaret: I am sure, Lady Warwick, that they said the same to Cassandra when she warned Achilles against his wedding to Polyxena[4].

*cut to Louis XI* *he is emerging from the church of Nôtre Dame de Celles[5] with his brother, the duc de Guienne* *the pair embrace*
    Louis XI: farewell, my beloved brother…may our Saviour and his holy mother watch over you on your journey to Prague. I fear that we shall never meet again, but if God so wills it, I assure you that you will find us the same as you always have. Ever your loyal brother and friend. *kisses both of Guienne’s cheeks*
    *we can see that Guienne is not quite impressed with this idea* *pan out to show an entire company of guards waiting at the foot of the church steps*
    Captain of the Guards: *to his men* all hail the King of Bohemia!
    Guards: *in unison* all hail the King of Bohemia! All hail the king of Bohemia! All hail the king of Bohemia!
    Guienne: *makes a last genuflection towards his brother before descending the steps* *where he swings up onto his horse*
    *we see Guienne and his guards and his baggage train leaving the abbey grounds on the journey to Prague* *Louis remains on the church porch the entirety of the time* *until they are no longer in sight* *then he descends to climb onto his own horse*

*cut to Louis riding alone when a stranger gallops up and falls in beside him*
    Louis: *calmly* you bring word from the court of Brittany?
    Stranger: and England, Majesty.
    Louis: the marriages of the Beauforts?
    Stranger: of King Edward’s victory over the Lancastrian forces at Naseby, sire.
    Louis: *with a politician’s smile* then we must order the bells of Paris to ring in thanksgiving.
    Stranger: *puzzled* sire?
    Louis: if King Edward wins and we were tardy to congratulate him, it will look as though we support King Henry. If King Henry- or more particularly, my cousin, Queen Marguerite- objects, we can simply say that our intelligence was at fault and we thought we were celebrating them crushing the usurper[6].
    Stranger: there is more news. The princess of Wales is pregnant.
    Louis: *crosses himself* that is usually what happens when a man and a woman marry, monsieur *smiles* the inevitable assuredly follows. –now, what of the duke of Brittany?
    Stranger: he has entered talks with the king of Aragon- about the possibility of marrying the king’s daughter.
    Louis: *sighs* at least it isn’t the duke of Burgundy’s girl. –they have made our offer of our most beloved niece[7] to the duke?
    Stranger: they have, sire. The duke proved attentive until the Aragonese ambassador informed him that you had already offered your niece to the king of Sicily[8].
    Louis: *looks marginally miffed* no matter. You have no idea what a misfortune it would be to me if such a marriage were to transpire. You must use all of your five senses to prevent it-
    Stranger: can the pope not be of any assistance?
    Louis: *irritably* when I wrote to him on the matter, he responded by sending my brother the crown of Bohemia and naming the archbishops of Lyons[9] and Arles[10], and the bishop of Le Mans[11] cardinals. No doubt to distract me from objecting to him naming three German cardinals.
    Stranger: of course, sire.
    Louis: when you return to Brittany, inform the duke of King Edward’s victory. Assure him that there is far more to be won by an English princess than a Spanish one.
    Stranger: which English princess, sire?
    Louis: does it matter? The duchess of Burgundy’s sister is a widow and the king’s daughter is a child of five. Either would suit my purpose most admirably.
    Stranger: and King Edward will agree?
    Louis: King Edward is like my brother- he craves recognition- to be able to personify the alliance between England and Brittany, and for the duke of Brittany to be able to solidify an alliance with Burgundy, by marrying the duchess’ sister…and my brother will believe I continue to approve of his own match with the duke of Burgundy’s daughter.
    Stranger: what of Queen Marguerite and her son? They will hardly agree.
    Louis: at this moment, England is isolated. The queen has no daughters of her own, nor any nieces who would suit. If they do not agree to the match they cost themselves a valuable ally- and the duke will continue to support King Edward against them. Why not agree, if only for appearance’s sake…King Edward’s sister will not be out of mourning for her husband for another few months. By then, God may have shown whether Lancaster or York is the winner. And if it is to be Lancaster…then they can arrange matters to their satisfaction. But right now, it costs them little to say “yes” and much to say “no”.
    Stranger: do you think they will see it like that?
    Louis: if they think as I do, they will.
    *fade to black as the man rides off, leaving Louis once more alone*

[1] I can’t find what Morland’s political affiliations were, aside from the fact that the previous dean, John Vaux/Fawkes died on 5 February 1471, and Morland was appointed a week later. He was potentially a Neville-influenced appointment since his prior career seems to have been as a sort of adjunct to George Neville, Archbishop of York. And this likely counted against Morland, since he was removed from office on 12 May (roughly a week after Tewkesbury).
    [2] While there was no doubt a proxy marriage prior to this, Cecily’s age (not to mention her being in England and her fiancé being in France) makes it likely that they held off on an actual ceremony until they could all be together. Eleanor-Edmund’s might simply be a blessing to make it that much more difficult for anyone to try to claim “oh, but they got married by a French priest, it doesn’t count”.
    [3] Let’s face it, Warwick is getting a sister-in-law and a niece both married into the fringes of the royal family, both his daughters have married royal princes, this was likely his ambition had it not been for a certain Wydeville family
    [4]Where Achilles was slain by Paris. In short, comparing Isabel to Cassandra, who, despite having the gift of prophecy, was cursed by having none believe her.
    [5] Louis had a particular devotion to this site OTL as well. Having granted the abbey-church considerably privileges both on the birth of Charles VIII, hearing of the restoration of Henry VI and on hearing of the death of Charles the Bold
    [6] This was genuinely what Louis XI did when he heard of both Barnet and Tewkesbury OTL
    [7] Anne of Savoie. As to the "king's daughter" they speak of, there apparently was a plan to offer Juana of Aragon (OTL queen of Naples) for Fransez II of Brittany in May 1471 OTL, but ultimately he settled on her niece. Neither myself nor @Brita nor @Nuraghe can discover if this was a case of a letter simply filed in the wrong year (given the pending nuptials of Fransez and Margarita de Foix) or if there was some reason why the Aragonese betrothal was substituted for a Navarrese one. As to "suiting his purposes admirably", one is an older woman who has had no children aside from her daughter in the 1450s, the other is a child (meaning at least a decade before she can produce a child), lots of time for something to happen to Fransez before then.
    [8] Fernando el Catolico
    [9] Charles de Bourbon, brother to the duc de Bourbon (OTL named by Sixtus IV in 1476)
    [10] Philippe de Lévis (OTL named by Sixtus IV in 1473)
    [11] Thibaud of Luxembourg (OTL named by Sixtus IV in pectore in 1474, but never published)