The NEW Our TimeLine Maps Thread!

(If this should go elsewhere...sorry...) For the past month I have been working on this humble offering:

attachment.php

Just as a disclaimer...all this is based off my own research, using what are sometimes, at best, dodgy sources. Where possible I have tried to use census data, but this isn't always possible or accurate enough...so I've mashed it together. The map (should) show where languages are spoken in everyday life - thus why some languages are not present, or occupy a smaller area than that of where they are spoken.

As this is a work in progress, if anyone can make this more accurate I would welcome it!

It would be a somewhat difficult challenge!

North America 1799. Obviously drawn by a British Cartographer. I'm sure the Russians would be quite surprised by how pink the northwest coast is.

northamerica1799jc3.png

Last edited:
Othniel,
Here's your map request, I hope this suits your needs.:) I have indicated the principal polities within the HRE, and have indicated the principal archbishoprics, and bishoprics w/ large and small dots respectively. The hachured, and dotted patches are Staufen, and Imperial estates respectively. I have also indicated the limits of Mongol conquest w/ a thick border in the Khanate (Mongol) color. Q
Thank you, though I should point out the orginal request covered France as well, but I'll forgive you as it is impossible to find a map of France showing indivudal polities within the Kingdom. (I've found one, but that is too early. It was nifty too because it went into all the different fiefs in the areas surronding the Ile-de-France, like Champange and the regions directly between France, and the Duchy of Burgundy.

Thank you, though I should point out the orginal request covered France as well, but I'll forgive you as it is impossible to find a map of France showing indivudal polities within the Kingdom. (I've found one, but that is too early. It was nifty too because it went into all the different fiefs in the areas surronding the Ile-de-France, like Champange and the regions directly between France, and the Duchy of Burgundy.
You're welcome.:) Like you said, you should have clarified that. However, I have actually tried to find detailed maps of France in the mid 1200s, but haven't had any luck, yet. I have some detailed maps of France in the middle ages in some of my historical atlases, but they are either too late, or too early. If by any chance I manage to find a detailed map of France in the mid 1200s, then I will add the detail into your map, and repost it.

Thande

Donor
Even as I was watching the Georgian conflict on the news, I just knew someone on here would be updating OTL maps to reflect it :rolleyes: ;)

I think Iraq needs an update - I drew those zones myself back in 2005 and they probably weren't all that accurate then, never mind now.

I have been keeping up w/ the Caucasus carnage fest as well. Once the final status of South Ossetia, and Abkhazia, and possibly the rest of Georgia is resolved, if ever, I plan to post an updated version of my Europe map, that will reflect the final (?) situation, stay tuned.