The Netherlands sells some American territories to the USD in 1803

All, future Emperor Napolean I sold indefensible territory of Louisiana to the United States in 1803 during a momentary break in the French Revolutionary/soon to be Napoleanic Wars.

Louisiana was seen only through the lens of being used to support soon to be lost San Dominique (Haiti). To keep Britain from simply taking it during the soon to be resumed hostilities, Bonaparte took the cash.

The Netherlands was a French puppet at the time. They had some less valuable Caribbean possessions, islands like St. Eustancious and St. Martiin were used more for trade than sugar cultivation.

They also had most of the Guyanas.

What are the chances that the Netherlands, possible under pressure from Bonaparte, sells some or all of these possessions a neutral party, America?

Would there be any opposition from anyone (Say, Britain) whom might not respect the sale, even if America tries to stay neutral?

America was still developing at this time and weren't a threat to much of anyone. But fifty years later, could expansion into modernday Brazil or Venezuela be a dominate political issue of the day?

What butterflies?

Thanks.

What are the chances that the Netherlands, possible under pressure from Bonaparte, sells some or all of these possessions a neutral party, America?
Close to zero. Not at this point. The Netherlands, well the Batavian republic, still considered themselves an independent country, a country that had become great because of its colonies. I doubt that Napoleon can force them to sell their colonies. Partly, because selling the colonies has barely any advantage for Napoleon, while the Batavian Republuc still owning those colonies could still be useful for Napoleon (even if it just means a small distraction for the British navy).

Louisiana was seen only through the lens of being used to support soon to be lost San Dominique (Haiti). To keep Britain from simply taking it during the soon to be resumed hostilities, Bonaparte took the cash.

Nitpicking, but Haiti was called Saint-Domingue. Dominique is the French name for Dominica.

why?
they only have one of the guyanas (france has one, which was taken by Portuguese/Brazil during the second part of the nap wars. forced to give them back after Portugal wins the war/France loses). Britain has the other guyana, and I believe took over the dutch guyana. all that's beside the point. they're not strategic in any sense of the word, nor really are the islands. why would Nap force a sale?

why?
they only have one of the guyanas (france has one, which was taken by Portuguese/Brazil during the second part of the nap wars. forced to give them back after Portugal wins the war/France loses). Britain has the other guyana, and I believe took over the dutch guyana. all that's beside the point. they're not strategic in any sense of the word, nor really are the islands. why would Nap force a sale?

Actualy no. Brritish Guyana was Dutch in1803. It was only after the Napoleonic wars that the UK decided to keep part of Dutch Guyana, which became British Guyana.

Thanks, all.

I'm looking for relatively easy American expansion. Obviously, the extremely lightly populated Guyanas of this time period would be a good launch point into the Brazilian interior.

pompejus
I kinda had that suspicion after I hit submit, but was to lazy to look it up and correct myself.

Alt,
looking for easy expansion for the US? besides the purchase that just doubled the size of the country and which wouldn't be populated for half a century? and the half of mexico that lies just beyond it? It's already a wank for the US to turn out as it did, let alone dreaming up more.

guyanas are a dead end, as they're most just jungle, with a whole lot of jungle to go through beyond that. jungles aren't all that worthless, but we're still only beginning to figure that out. buying the guyanas gives you about as much of an in (south America) as buying Alaska leads to control of russia.

Thanks, all.

I'm looking for relatively easy American expansion. Obviously, the extremely lightly populated Guyanas of this time period would be a good launch point into the Brazilian interior.

You would think that, but no. Even if the Dutch did sell the Guyanas to the U.S. (which is unlikely, as others have pointed out), it would be almost impossible to push further inland since the area is surrounded by dense jungles. From a topographical perspective, you could almost think of the Guyanas as an island off the coast of South America rather than a territory from which to launch further expansion.

If you are looking for U.S. expansion opportunities, you could take the U.S. Virgin Islands as an example. They were owned by Denmark, but they weren't profitable as a colony, so they sold them to the U.S.. Maybe if you could find some other countries in mild financial distress, they might consider selling off their Caribbean territories to make a quick buck.

More French naval successes in the ARW and have them seize Hudson's Bay in 1782 rather than just raid it. French tried Hudson's Bay back to Britain in exchange for French islands off Quebec. France gets its pre-1763 Caribbean islands back and the British lesser Antilles goes to the US.