Zagan

Donor
Foreword: If you are a Romanian, who easily feels offended by a Thread, which is not made according to the Romanian point of view of history, I suggest you to not read this TL, because it’s not the Thread you are looking for. Thank you for your understanding!
Even if you do not like it, we are still free to criticise any flaws we might percieve in your TL.

So, I am not going to follow your suggestion, because the subject interests me very much. I am going to read your TL and point any mistakes or inconsistencies I might find, obviously in a civilized manner.

I think I have to stress this: If you post something, other members may criticize it and counter your views and arguments. This is the way this site works.
I hope that you can accept that.

Even if you do not like it, we are still free to criticise any flaws we might percieve in your TL.

So, I am not going to follow your suggestion, because the subject interests me very much. I am going to read your TL and point any mistakes or inconsistencies I might find, obviously in a civilized manner.

I think I have to stress this: If you post something, other members may criticize it and counter your views and arguments. This is the way this site works.
I hope that you can accept that.
Oh boy, he's here.

This TL is going to get even more interesting now.

Chapter 3: The Reign of a Bastard part 2

In 1516, however, the peace broke, when Vladislaus of Bohemia(proper) suddenly died. Vladislaus had a son, Louis, but he was still too young to rule. The nobility of Bohemia(proper) has been torn to two factions. One supported Louis, while the other invited John I Corvinus to unify Bohemia. Louis was supported by Sigismund I of Poland too. John led the Black Army into Bohemia, and his forces united with his supporters’ forces near Beneshau (Benesov). John met with his foes under Prague, and on the following day, the two army engaged in battle. John commanded the army himself during the fight. The battle has been won by John, who entered Prague on the same day. Louis and some of his supporters fled to Poland, in the hope of further Polish aid, but unfortunately for them, after the loss of the battle, Sigismund lost interest, and signed peace with Hungarians. There were many reasons for Louis’s defeat. First of all was the lack of external support. Indeed, Sigismund aided him, but it was just a very limited support since he was already preoccupied with fighting against the Muscovites. He couldn’t hope for the help of Maximilian neither, since he already signed a deal with John, which stated, he won’t interfere, in exchange for John’s voteas King of Bohemia for his grandson, Charles on the next Imperial election. The second reason was the lack of support from the populace. During his father’s reign, the magnates could mortify the peasantry and the lesser nobility without any consequences, which led to the need of a strong royal power, which obviously couldn’t be expected from a child king. The last and most important reason was the fighting within his faction, which eventually led to disintegration, and ultimately to the defeat.

Meanwhile, at the Porte, people became more and more concerned about the ever-growing power of John Corvinus’s, and initiations took place on a big scale war against Hungary. The war never came to realization during the reign of Selim I, because of his war with the Mameluke Empire and later of his sickness.

In 1519, Emperor Maximilian died, and his grandson, Charles, King of Spain has been elected as the new Emperor. John Corvinus kept his word and voted in Charles’s favour. With the improving relations between the two realms, Charles and John became de facto allies. John hoped that the powerful empire of Charles would aid him in a grand scale war against the Turks, which could oust them from Europe, but he was too naïve.

Since 1521, Charles V/I Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain was almost constantly in war with Francis I’s France. When a new war broke out between the two in 1526, Francis allied himself with the Ottoman Sultan, Suleiman. With such a threat in the east, he wanted to distract Charles from the Italian affairs, since he was sure, that Charles definitely would help his ally, John I Corvinus of Hungary.

The Ottomans attacked Hungary in 1526, and eventually besieged Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade, Belgrad, Beograd) and the neighbouring fort of Zimony (Zemun, Semlin). The Ottoman forces were led by Sultan Suleiman himself. Belgrade and Zimony has been besieged for 27 days, when the relieving forces (led by the king) finally arrived. The Hungarians first attacked the enemy’s forces under Zimony, and forced them to abandon the siege, and to retreat to the other side of the river Sava, joining the ottoman main forces. After the Hungarians relieved Zimony, they refilled the supplies of the fort, and took a defensive position on the left bank of the Sava. John ordered his soldiers to harass the Ottoman flotilla on the Danube, which blockaded the way to Belgrade, with the cannons of the fort until the Hungarian flotilla arrives, then aid the Hungarian ships in breaking through the Ottoman blockade. The Hungarian flotilla arrived within hours, and then, with aid from the ground and the fort, it managed to crush the Ottoman fleets. Without the blockade, the Hungarians managed to link Belgrade to a supply line on the Danube.

With his successes, John felt confident enough to engage with the Ottoman main forces. After a brief discussion with his commanders, he decided to split his army into two. The Hungarian plan was very similar to of 1456’s, half of men supposed to go into the fort, then attempt a breakout to distract the enemy, while the other half of the army would cross the river Sava. Then two part of the army would constrain the Turks between two fire.

At the beginning, everything went according to the plan, the reinforced defenders broke out of the fort and attacked the Turks, while the other part of the army successfully crossed the Sava. The complications started here. It turned out, Suleiman managed to figure out the Hungarians’ plan (thanks to the reports of the Turkish scouts). Suleiman most of his forces to face with the Hungarians by the Sava, while the remaining forces of his army held their feet against the other Hungarian army. The split of forces came a bit late for the Ottomans, they were unable to stop the Hungarians cross the river, but still successfully ruined John’s plan. Now everything depended on the outcome of battle at the river, or at least that was what everyone thought. Suleiman underestimated (or maybe was misinformed of) the strength of the forces in the fort, and left too few men behind against them. From this point, the battle turned into a strange flow of events. While, the two main forces engaged on the bank of river Sava, the Hungarians successfully decimated and routed the Turks under the fort, seized or destroyed most of their siege equipment. The captain of the fort, by name John Zápolya (Szapolyai János) decided not to attack the Turkish camp, but to aid the royal army immediately, and so ordered his troops to march towards the battle.

The army at the Sava was led by George Zápolya (Szapolyai György) and by the King personally. When the battle began, despite the numerical superiority of the Turks, the Hungarians dictated the battle at the beginning. The Turks were in big pinch, but as the time passed, the difference in numbers started to show off. Slowly the Ottomans gained the upper hand, but the king’s army still held itself pretty well. John’s only hope was that the forces of the will come to his aid. He didn’t have to be disappointed. When the battle already seemed to be doomed, the relieving forces of Zápolya finally arrived and attacked the Turks in their back. This took Suleiman by surprise, because he still didn’t know about the defeat of his troops at the fort. After he realized the threat of the situation in which he was, He ordered his troops retreat, before the Hungarians could completely surround them. The retreat was orderly and didn’t became into an uncontrollable rout, mainly because their foes didn’t pursue them, since they suffered sensible casualties, just like the Turks too. Even though, the Ottoman army had to abandon many of their equipment from their camp, since they couldn’t know when will the Hungarians start to chase them.

Both army suffered hard losses, losing more than almost half their men, the Turks lost much of their siege equipment too, while the Hungarian forts of Nándorfehérvár and Zimony has been heavily damaged. Even though the Hungarians could claim the victory, they had the bigger and more sensible casualties, which made them open to peace talks, and eventually sent their envoy to the Turkish Sultan, to seek for peace. The envoy met with Suleiman in Nis, where the two side signed a truce for three years. Suleiman and John too felt humiliated by the outcome of the war, even though John won, he exactly knew, his victory was nothing more than a mere luck, and still he lost many men. Both rulers wanted revenge, and in the following years, two of the most fearsome armies of Europe emerged.

Last edited:
I know it's kinda short, but I present you the new chapter, enjoy! :)

Chapter 4: The Reign of a Bastard part 3

Since he could expect three years of peace with the Turks, King John drew his attention to the West.

After the Siege of Belgrade, he realized, Hungary (even in personal union with the Czech Crownlands) has hardships to defend itself against the Turks alone. For this cause, John tried to establish good relations with the most of the European realms, in hope to form a Holy Alliance against the Muslim Ottomans. Of course the Spanish would have been willing to help, but the constant warfare for the Italian and European hegemony took all their efforts, so John had to look for other ally candidates too.

After the War of the League of Cambrai, the relations between Venice and Hungary were not so good, but not hostile. It was thanks to the relative short duration of the Hungarian intervention in the War of the League of Cambrai and the to the not so harsh terms of peace between the two. The long time, that passed since the war helped too, not even mentioning the Venetian concerns toward the Ottoman threat to their maritime and overseas possessions. Like this, the Hungarian King managed to restore the relations to a normal level, and even managed to make a deal with the Venetians, which guaranteed to Hungary the financial support of Venice, in case of war with the Turks. In every war-weary year, Venice was bound to support Hungary with 50 000 Florins.

Hungary already had a good relation with the Papacy, which was shadowed only by the alliance between Charles V Holy Roman Emperor and King John. Still, since Hungary took no active part in the Italian Wars, it didn’t have any visible impact on John’s relation with the Pope. The Papacy even provided the Hungarians aid against the Turks, even though, it was very limited, because of the wars in Italy.

France had no bad relations with Hungary, but since she was considered as an ally of Spain/HRE, the French considered her as foe, and convinced the Sultan Suleiman to attack her, to eliminate the potential threat she meant.

John’s goal in his diplomacy was to lessen the tensions between the main European powers, which were more or less in war with each other since 1494. Thus after the peace with the Ottomans, John tried to mediate between Charles V and his opposition, the members of the League of Cognac, which gained him respect among the Rulers of Europe, despite his origin. After the Sack of Rome, John played a big role in the negotiations between Charles and the Pope, Francis I of France and their allies.

Even though John Corvinus put great efforts into make peace in Europe, he wasn’t able to manage it in time. In May of 1529, when the negotiations still were ongoing, the biggest fear of the Hungarian King just happened, the Turks launched their new campaign against Hungary.

John seems to be a very good king. Let's see how he manages the Turk menace...

The relationship with Venice is interesting and her financial contribution could prove invaluable to maintain a professional army like the one Matthias had.

John seems to be a very good king. Let's see how he manages the Turk menace...

The relationship with Venice is interesting and her financial contribution could prove invaluable to maintain a professional army like the one Matthias had.
John has the ability to recognize his opportunities, and has somewhat good commanding skills, but despite these, his successes largely depends on his father's legacy.

Even though, Venice's support is relatively small, it is still very valuable, since Hungary's financial expenditures are overstretched. In herself, she was unable to compete incomes of the Sultan. In 1490 the incomes of Hungary IOTL without the western conquests were max. 900 000 florins per year, while at the same time, the Ottomans had the duplicate of it.

BTW, can someone help me with sources of the yearly incomes of the Czech Lands and of the Ottomans in the 1520's?

Last edited:
With the end of a hard studying period, long search for infos (thanks Gladi) and general idealessness, I can finally resume this halfdead TL of mine after a month of pause!
The next chapter will come within a week!

Yanez: I reread many times my posts, and I have to admit you were right when you wrote John is quite overpowered, but for the sake of the TL this is necessary. (Let's just assume he had this potential IOTL :D)

With the end of a hard studying period, long search for infos (thanks Gladi) and general idealessness, I can finally resume this halfdead TL of mine after a month of pause!

Yanez: I reread many times my posts, and I have to admit you were right when you wrote John is quite overpowered, but for the sake of the TL this is necessary. (Let's just assume he had this potential IOTL :D)
Happy that you are coming back to the TL! (I would like to finally be able to concentrate on one of my projects and actually put down a TL about it).
In the end, when one writes a TL that aims to improve a country'solicitor historical fate some compromises must be made from a totally aseptic and "scientific" exploration of a POD, for example using a bit of hindsight and thinking "how can I reach this outcome while writing a TL that is still within the realm of plausibility and where actions and reactions are logical and based on fact" rather than "what's the most likely outcome of this action". In such a context then, having John being a very good ruler is IMO not wrong or a sign of a bad TL, just necessary to lay the basis for a longer lasting and stronger state. Besides he must have had a very good education under Matthias, as well as practical experience before ascending to the throne and even "good genes".

It's glad that an another good TL set in Early Modern Central Europe is coming back. Our region is way too interesting in that period to be forgotten by this site. ;)

Plus, it's about the dynasty of a character that played a big role in my own TL, too, so I'll surely be following.

BTW, can someone help me with sources of the yearly incomes of the Czech Lands?
Pfft, that is too much without access to specific literature. From memory : Czech lands were supposedly relatively richer in Jagelonian period, though how that wors out in absolute terms vis-a-vis much larger Hungary I have no idea. Of course, the Jagiellonians were barely in charge in Bohemia where the estates ran rampant and Lev of Rozmital ruled if not in open oppostion to royal decrees, than at least perpendicularly.

I think we can all agree, that this was the longest week of History ever... ^^;
Anyway, enjoy!

Chapter 5: The Reign of a Bastard part 4

Thanks to many travellers, John was well-aware of the upcoming Turkish attack, but he still hoped the European powers could end fighting each other and would come to aid him. Sadly, it didn’t happen until August and the Turks began their march from Constantinople towards Hungary in May. Fortunately, the Turks moved slowly due to the constant raining and bad weather, so John was able to organise his army in Buda and then move southward to face the Ottoman army.

The Ottoman army consisted around 180 000 troops (combatants, non-combatants), from which were 12 000 elite janissaries, 90 000 sipahis (Rumelian, Anatolian Corps and the Sultan’s bodyguard), the were rest irregulars and troops of vassals. The Turks still had 300 cannons and a flotilla of 500 small vessels on the Danube. On the other hand, the Hungarian (and Bohemian) army was much smaller. It compromised ~110 000 troops (combatants, non-combatants), from which 20 000 were the elite Black Army (units of all kind), another 30 000 troops of infantry and 52 000 troops of cavalry. The rest were volunteers and aids of neighbouring countries (many from Austria). It must be noted though, a big chunk of Hungarian forces were stationed in the forts of southern borderlands, nearly 20 000 (2 000 in Belgrade), which put the actual size of John’s army only around 90 000. The King had roughly the same number of cannons as the Turks though. On the Danube, Hungary had 350 well-equipped vessels.

When the Hungarian army reached Belgrade (Nándorfehérvár), the Turks were still at Sofia, thus letting John to prepare his troops and the field for the upcoming siege and battle. The fleets were much faster than the armies. The Turkish fleet reached Nándorfehárvár on 5th Jun, while most of the Hungarian fleet was at Nándorfehérvár from the beginning. The two fleets engaged in combat on the following day. The Turks’ objective was to cut of Nándorfehérvár’s supply line through the river, making it more vulnerable, while the Hungarian’s tried to prevent it. Eventually, the Turks withdrew after they couldn’t break through the defence and decided to wait until the ground forces are near.

The ground army finally arrive under Nándorfehérvár on 17th July but due to the long march, the Turkish soldiers were too exhausted to lay siege. It took Suleiman by surprise, how heavily reinforced the city was, compared to three years earlier. Furthermore, the Hungarian main army was already on the other bank of the Sava and Danube, making it almost impossible to cross them, which eliminated the idea of besieging Zimony at the same time with Nándorfehérvár. Zimony would have been a key element in the isolation of Nándorfehérvár from supplies, thus without it the fleet had to perform under much worse conditions in its tasks.

In the light of these circumstances, the fleet has been ordered to attack and break through the Hungarian fleet. The Turkish attempts continued for two days, when finally, the silence broke on the ground too. The Sultan gave out the order to encircle the fortress (at least as much as the rivers allowed it) and the siege begun. Since the Turkish fleet after several days was still unable to defeat the Hungarians and suffering way more heavier casualties than them, Suleiman abandoned the idea to cut the Hungarians off of supplies, he decided he will take fort by brute force at any cost. This was a very unwise decision of his, but it clearly shows, how important Belgrade in his eyes was. The city, which not once withstood the glorious Ottoman armies’ mighty attacks; the city, which was the key right into Europe’s heart; the city, which would be followed by Buda then Wien, then Rome itself! For Suleiman Nándorfehérvár seemed to be the only blockage between him and the conquering of Europe. Nevertheless, Suleiman was quite confident in his troops’ numerical superiority and his cannons’ destructive power.

On the Hungarian side, the King was relieved after the Turks ceased their actions on the rivers, and the supply was able to enter Belgrade without any risk. John was sure, with the unlimited flow of men and other supplies, the fortress was impregnable, thus felt no need at the moment to take action in attacking the Turks from the outside, since they will probably bleed out or lift the siege sooner or later anyway, and that was the moment when he wanted to attack.

The Ottoman’s brutal siege assaults from this point went on on the following two months.

Meanwhile, in Italy the war of League of Cognac finally came to a closure, when Spain and France signed the treaty of Cambrai in August. Soon after, the other participants ended fighting as well. Europe was finally at peace, and could focus on other things, such as helping King John I of Hungary in his struggle against the Ottoman Sultan, which is, against expectations didn’t happen. Even though the Pope and Venice was supportive of the idea, the long waring worn down their powers and willing to contribute. France was on a similar term with the additional concern of the good Spanish-Hungarian relations. Spain was the only power in Europe to really consider helping Hungary, but since many of Spain’s troops were still preoccupied dealing with the last resisting force of the anti-Spanish coalition, Tuscany, the Charles V had to abandon his ally in need.

Back at Nándorfehérvár, the siege was still ongoing on the 15th October. The fort was in bad shape, but the stubbornness of the defenders still managed prevent the Ottomans to take it. The almost two-month long siege demanded many casualties on both sides, but the bad weather made it for the Turks worse. Suleiman and his commanders had an important discussion on this day. The days became colder and colder, the Ottoman soldiers were dissatisfied by the resultlessness, thus unrest were in grow. Suleiman had no other choice, he had to lift the siege. According to the Sultan’s command the Turks started to withdraw from the fort on 17th October. Witnessing the Turkish retreat, John saw the opportunity to attack, but many opposed his idea arguing the Hungarian forces were in no shape for such manoeuvre. Thus on 18th, the last Ottomans troops left the eyesight of the defenders as well.

The triumphant victory was followed by big celebrations among the soldiers. Even the King loosened up, and celebrated together with his men. On the next day, John went on a ride to spectate the battlefield. Corpses were lying everywhere, the great struggle demanded many lives. The Ottomans lost nearly 60 000 men, while the Hungarians “just” around 40 000. This was a huge blow for both armies, but at this point, Hungary still didn’t suffer the biggest loss of her to the battle.

Several days after the battle, the King suddenly felt himself very ill and started to show the signs of sepsis. Day by day, the King’s state became worse, the royal doctor diagnosed pest. After a week of agonizing pain, the King finally passed away on 30th of October in Zimony. The realm just suffered its biggest loss of the third siege of Nándorfehérvár.

King John Corvinus lived 46 years, reigned 29 years. Despite his origins, his great achievements made him worthy of his father’s legacy.

The news of the King’s death reached Prague 11 days later, where his only-son as viceroy governed. Learning the death of his father, Ladislaus (Laszlo/László) was shocked, but he knew what to do. He ordered his men to begin the preparations of his way to Buda; His time finally came.

The next will be about John's family, mainly about Laszlo. No promise on arrive.

Better late, than never, don't you think?

Chapter 6: Hunyadi László

Ladislaus Corvinus (in Hungarian Hunyadi László/Corvin László/Korvin László) was born in 1494 as the one and only child of the Hungarian king John I Corvin and Milanese Princess Maria Bianca Sforza. He was named after his grandfather’s older brother.

His education was strictly supervised by his father. John put great effort in the education of Ladislaus, he got the best teachers available, who raised him in the humanist, renaissance spirit of the age. After his mother’s death (in 1510), his father started to involve him in politics more frequently to prepare him for his future duties as king. At age 18, he married Princess Sabina, daughter of Albert IV Duke of Bavaria. They later had two children, Matthias and Anna. Also in age 18, he was crowned King of Hungary as Ladislaus VI.

After his father successfully reunited whole Bohemia, he was crowned King of Bohemia (with the name Ladislaus II) in Prague at the same time as his father was, but until the death of John, his title remained only formal. After the coronations, regardless of him being de facto king, his father put him in charge in Bohemia as viceroy. There, he enjoyed a wide spectrum of freedom in governing, which helped him to get some further experience vital for his later reign. During his ten years of viceroyalty in Bohemia he managed to build a loyal clique around himself and uncovered a few anti-Hungarian conspiracies planned by some smaller pro-Louis groups.

When the news of his father’s death reached him in Prague, he went to Hungary immediately to assure control. In Buda, he called for an Estates General, where he made certain of the loyalty of nobility, especially of the magnates. Thanks to his grandfather and father, there was no problem with it.

As reigning king, one of Ladislaus first deed was to sign a truce with the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman, who was in favour of temporary peace as well. The truce was signed by both sides in early 1530. The peace allowed Ladislaus to concentrate on the inner matters of his realm and allowed the armed forces to rest up and regenerate. The reparations of the assaulted Southern forts were a primary task as well. Fortunately, the originally for three-four years intended peace between Hungary and the Ottoman Empire wasn’t broken by either side after it dated out and lasted several years longer. Only the border raids resumed, but they didn’t really stopped to begin with, so basically nothing changed.

Last edited:
very nice update! Is there hope to see a map soon?

I was also thinking that eventually something like the Austrian military frontier can be put in place. It seems to me a good way to keep the border areas with the Ottomans under control without having to use the expensive royal army to repel every minor incursion.

Zagan

Donor
very nice update! Is there hope to see a map soon?

I was also thinking that eventually something like the Austrian military frontier can be put in place. It seems to me a good way to keep the border areas with the Ottomans under control without having to use the expensive royal army to repel every minor incursion.
But it is also a very good way to alter the demographics of Croatia and *Voivodina with lots of Serbs, resulting in the future loss of Voivodina and the Yugoslav Wars.