The English Charlemagne: A Plantagenet-Capet TL

I have ideas for this but elia and I will start writing the personal POV side soon. I may also rewrite the first chapter as well XD
"Three words are all I need to explain my power triumphing over my lords: divide, and, conquer"
Phillip, probably

Philip IV of France was at the top of the world in 1316. His marriage policies were pillars of stability and further expansion, with a triple marriage with the third most powerful state beside France, the rich county of Burgundy which would nearly guarantee that sometime in the future it would be inherited by France, while the marriage of Isabella of France to Edward II of England would make the King of England his son-in-law and hopefully make it far easier to rein in the most powerful ruler in France, the King of England. Yet, the curse of the Templars would begin to haunt Philip. The pope died within a couple of months after the trial of the legendary Knights Templar and while going hunting, Philip nearly died himself if not for his trusty steed saving him in the nick of time. This belief would seep in to the king as he became quite paranoid and scared that divine retribution from the Knights Templar would arrive and the tower de Nesle affair would no doubt strengthen that belief that God was against the king.

The tower de Nesle affair was the one thing that would ruin Philip IV's grand plans of stability and expansion within the French realm. After years of investigation, a forced confession by the two knights at hand would implicate Margaret of Burgundy, wife of Prince Louis of Capet and Blanche of Burgundy, wife of Prince Charles of Capet. These two marriages would haunt Philip IV for life and while the marriages would soon be dissolved by the pope. It would be the only beginning of the complete downfall of Philip IV's grand plans for his dynasty, while Prince Louis would swear up and down that his children were legitimate, the nobility did not completely trust it, it would especially tragic for Louis' death would give Philip IV a grandson, Prince John. He would die within a couple of days much to Philip's grief. Joan the last child of Louis would be heavily scrutinized by the nobility as they believed that she was not a legitimate child of Louis but as she grew up, she showed an aptitude in governance and brilliance which Philip began to blast propaganda to promote her eventually allowing her to inherit all of her grandmother's titles of Navarre, Champagne, and Brie.

The happy marriage of Prince Philip and Joan of Burgundy would arguably be the rock in the trust in the monarchy as the tour de nesle affair did not directly implicate Joan as an adulter merely just a witness who was bribed into silence and their passionate, genuine love match between the two did them solid in getting Joan released from her imprisonment as part of the investigation and yet, the king would not be pleased as the couple only bore daughters, Philip needed a grandson in order to succeed him. The birth of Philip in 1316 would please him immeasurably and yet his death a year later would once again greatly sorrow him. The final French prince would fare no better as Charles would go through two more wives before his death in 1328 with all of his children except one more granddaughter named Blanche ironically would live pass Philip. The complete destruction of the Direct Capetian line with the death of Prince Charles would haunt Philip as he began to look for a proper successor, and it would be his daughter the she-wolf of England that would grant him his salvation.

Queen Isabella of England, daughter of Philip IV or the Fair would be the catalyst to the union between England and France, and yet to Philip the most troubling of his children. It would be her that would spark the investigations regarding the tour de Nesle affair but England began to slowly crumble under Edward II, with his court favourites and objectively terrible governance of the realm. The loss of Bannockburn would be a humiliation for England and would cause a war between the nobles led by the queen against the king and his royal favourites. This headache for Philip would also present a golden opportunity, his grandson Edward of Windsor was the only grandson he had and Isabella wished to push him onto the throne of England, which Philip immediately promoted believing that if he played his cards right amongst the nobility he would also inherit all of the English fiefs into France as well by making Edward his heir. This would succeed but much to Philip's horror the same evil that plagued Capet returned to Isabella as very strong rumours began to circulate that she had a lover, Roger Mortimer while Edward's heritage was definitely secure since the rumours allege that it began in Flanders long after Edward's birth, Philip could not be ever more angry as his grandson was practically shut out of government and his ascension could not even be secure but right now his eyes looked north towards Flanders, the greatest thorn besides England to the King of France.

The succession of France would be running throughout Philip's mind and this was quite the problem, Charles of Valois was the closest male relative to Philip IV by Salic succession law which while never used in France since the time of Charlemagne began to set precedent when Philip would marry Joan to Edward. This marriage approved by the papal dispensation would grant Edward the kingdom of France by right of primogeniture through his wife and Edward had enough French blood to be considered as a candidate but the issue was the power now given to the Burgundians, and Valois. Who both began to back their various claims to the throne especially concerning was the claim of Joan of Burgundy who claimed since her descendants were legitimate due to the propaganda that Philip himself boosted in order to secure his own dynasty's reputation, meanwhile Charles of Valois began to promote his Salic law with the nobility divided between the two as neither wanted an Anglo-French union under the marriage of Edward and Joan.

I must admit that it is a very interesting chapter, it is also well written, now considering that in Otl Louis IV ended up in conflict with the Burgundians ( and consequently subsequently also with France, as he supported Edward to the succession in opposition than Burgundy and Valois ) for the territories belonging to his wife, it is that for his war with France, chose Edward III as imperial vicar in his absence, now we should find an innovative way for Edward to set foot in the Reich in this TL, without this representing a stretch or immediately being seen as too powerful by the rest of the imperial princes ( perhaps taking advantage of the fact that Philip IV lives 20 years longer than Otl, and of the fact that there are still legally Lorraine and Anjou families in circulation as a possible alternative to Edward ) we can arrange for Ludwig to enfeoff him with a territory ( on which he previously used the imperial ban ) after a campaign in which he assisted him against his opponents within the Reich ( it does not matter whether it actually took place in Germany or Italy, for now ) considering that Richard of Cornwall actually had some chance of being recognized as legitimate Emperor under the right circumstances, I see no reason why Edward ( or his son ) could not follow in his footsteps, but with more success

Last edited:
I must admit that it is a very interesting chapter, it is also well written, now considering that in Otl Louis IV ended up in conflict with the Burgundians ( and consequently subsequently also with France, as he supported Edward to the succession in opposition than Burgundy and Valois ) for the territories belonging to his wife, it is that for his war with France, chose Edward III as imperial vicar in his absence, now we should find an innovative way for Edward to set foot in the Reich in this TL, without this representing a stretch or immediately being seen as too powerful by the rest of the imperial princes ( perhaps taking advantage of the fact that Philip IV lives 20 years longer than Otl, and of the fact that there are still legally Lorraine and Anjou families in circulation as a possible alternative to Edward ) we can arrange for Ludwig to enfeoff him with a territory ( on which he previously used the imperial ban ) after a campaign in which he assisted him against his opponents within the Reich ( it does not matter whether it actually took place in Germany or Italy, for now ) considering that Richard of Cornwall actually had some chance of being recognized as legitimate Emperor under the right circumstances, I see no reason why Edward ( or his son ) could not follow in his footsteps, but with more success
Oh boi expectations :D
I don't mean to toot my own horn but my standards for my TLs are basically the ones I had in my first TL: Walking on the Silver Line: A Valois-Bourgogne TL, so yes I will put an insane amount of research going on for this one at least from the history book style, the personal POV that's a different story. Although I am quite sad cause usually I write 1.4k words or more per chapter XD

I'll be working on my first TL and rewriting the first chapter probably so ur good. I won't change anything just add more detail.
Thanks. It's just a combo of me being busy + having other threads.
very curious to see what you will come up with in this adventure, dear Eli, anyway yes, first person writing is where you excel ( unlike me, who prefer documentaries 😉😜 )
I use Third Person POV, but noted.

Thanks. It's just a combo of me being busy + having other threads.

I use Third Person POV, but noted.

Oh well Eli, you really focused on the detail huh ? 🤣, I have now noticed the error during the translation (i.e. "the first person" oops 😅) but I infuse everyone with their own field in which they are more comfortable than the others 😜